Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[OT] World Cup Soccer -- USA vs Portugal

Posted by min 
[OT] World Cup Soccer -- USA vs Portugal
Posted by: min (---.atl.client2.attbi.com)
Date: June 05, 2002 05:52AM

3-1 US at halftime.

Team USA is playing an amazing game. This is another big upset in the making... while most of you sleeps!

Re: [OT] World Cup Soccer -- USA vs Portugal
Posted by: min (---.atl.client2.attbi.com)
Date: June 05, 2002 06:51AM

3-2 final.
US just beat Portugal, one of the favorites to win the Cup.

Wake up America!

Posted by: ugarte (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: June 05, 2002 07:39AM

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!

That was such a tense second half. I constantly thought that we were on the verge of a horrible collapse, but they hung tough. I still can't believe we won with injuries to Reyna, Mathis and Keller. (Friedel is a very good goalie, but I am a Keller loyalist from the days when Milutinovic wouldn't even invite him to training camp.)

All hail Bruce Arena!

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: June 05, 2002 08:38AM

For those of you who like soccer but didn't drag yourselves out of bed to watch the game, I strongly suggest watching the rebroadcast at, ah, 3pm today I think. Well worth it. Awesome!

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: June 05, 2002 02:46PM

It was a great game. USA actually controlled most of the first half -- even they had this look of "what the hell is going on here?" The first goal was hard work, the second was good luck (own goal off the face of a defender), the third was a thing of beauty. Portugal then had a hard work goal and an own goal on a scrum in front, but the US did play great down the stretch and earned the win.

We have an attack *and* a midfield game -- who the heck woulda thought? ;-)

Congrats to them on the biggest upset win in US World Cup history (and only the 5th win of all time).

Re-broadcast
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.rasserver.net)
Date: June 06, 2002 11:21AM

According to the World Cup TV Schedule (as of a couple of days ago), there will be a re-broadcast of the game on ESPN Classic (little did they know what a classic it would be) at 1pm Eastern today.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.rasserver.net)
Date: June 06, 2002 11:39AM

I almost posted about this during the first half (when Sam's Army started chanting "O-ver-ra-ted" with the US up 2-0) but was afraid of spoiling. I had got up at 3:30am to shower and watch the first half before heading to the airport for a 6am flight. (I'm visiting Mom in Kingston, where she's in the hospital recovering amazingly well from a very scary bout of double-pneumonia.) I was so distracted at the 3-1 halftime lead that I forgot my suitcase and had to drive all the way back to my apartment, barely making my flight. I listened to most of the second half (as best I could) in Spanish on my car radio while driving to and from the airport, then wondered why the TV in the airport bar was not showing it while we were lining up for security screening. I ducked out of line (there were about 8 minutes left when I got out of my car) and asked the barman to put it on. He said he had no idea how to work the TV but I was welcome to try. Well, it turns out the bar's DirecTV subscription didn't include ESPN2, and I didn't have the presence of mind to look for a Mexican broadcast station before running back to the security line. So I had to wait until we landed in Houston an hour later. (I had asked the flight attendant if the cockpit crew had the results, but also asked that they not announce them over the PA after my Super Bowl spoilage experience, in case any passengers were planning to watch the re-broadcast. It was academic, since no one in the tower knew the final.) I was a little disappointed not to have the airport full of people chanting "USA" (which I only think is justified after an upset victory, not a Dream Team bloodletting), after the impromptu Senegalese parade I'd seen in Pisa last Friday. (Forza Senegal!) I wonder if this will make the cover of Sports Illustrated next week...

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: June 06, 2002 08:23PM

John, please pass on best recovery wishes to your mom. Double P is scary stuff.

Re: Re-broadcast
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.utb.edu)
Date: June 12, 2002 03:56AM

Oh, man. I set my VCR to tape the ESPN2 rebroadcast when I left for the airport, but I somehow managed to tape only the first half, which was the half I saw live. rolleyes

Mom came home from the hospital yesterday, and we watched Ireland beat Saudia Arabia before I left. :-D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login