Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

OT: Early candidate for the worst movie of the year.

Posted by Greg Berge 
OT: Early candidate for the worst movie of the year.
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: May 31, 2002 07:05PM

Caught "The Sum of All Fears" today. I convinced my girlfriend to go by telling her that a Clancy movie must be, by definition, better than the book. I haven't read SOAF, but this one probably broke that hitherto iron clad rule.

Here's what I learned from the movie. Stop here to avoid possible spoilers.

1. Ben Affleck has an enormous head. This is apparent throughout the whole movie, but there is a scene fairly early in which, although he is sitting behind a character, his head is clearly larger than her entire upper body. It's very scary.

2. If you want to hide your deepest, darkest secret, inscribe its emblem on your watch because nobody will ever look there.

3. You can escape a nuclear explosion in a helicopter a mile from ground zero if your head is big enough.

4. If you work for an arch-villain bent on global domination and you have second thoughts, do not announce your intention to quit and expect him to just shake on it and let you go. (c.f. every Bond movie.)

5. When Chicago and Florida play an NFL game in November, they play in Baltimore so the president can attend.

6. It is believable that within the next 6 months, George Bush will learn what "ascertain" means.

7. Entry level CIA analysts are paid enough to live in impeccably furnished brownstones in Georgetown.

8. The first matinee of the day has the best popcorn.

9. After undergrad, med school, and residency, doctors still look like 21 year old models, however they are brunette so you know they're smart. (I have actually learned this from a lot of movies, but it's nice to be reminded).

Re: OT: Early candidate for the worst movie of the year.
Posted by: Sarli (---.25.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: June 01, 2002 09:03PM

I disagree.

I think the Clancy books are much better than the movies. With the exception of Hunt For Red October, but that had Sean Connery working for it.

That Said Sum of All fears was horribly untrue to the book. But I won't get started, I could go on forever. Starting with it all happening in the WRONG city.

Date: June 02, 2002 12:22AM

I liked the movie version of "Hunt for Red October" quite a lot, though you're right, it was mostly due to Connery's scenery chewing. Haven't read anything by Clancy that I thought was any good, but hey Grisham sells well too.

Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: June 03, 2002 08:42AM

Greg Berge wrote:

7. Entry level CIA analysts are paid enough to live in impeccably furnished brownstones in Georgetown.

Well, a GS-13 step 3 employee clears about 71k a year in DC.
(http://www.opm.gov/oca/02tables/dcb.htm)

Of course, if Ryan, being a hotshot PhD military historian, is a professional level employee his minimum base pay jumps to 110k a year.
[www.opm.gov]

Given that a Brownstone in Georgetown runs around 400k,
(http://www.martin-jeff.com/listings.shtml#3405) and assuming a 350k mortgage at 7% for 30 years, our buddy Jack would be paying about 2300 a month for his mortgage.

Thus, if he takes home 4300 a month as a GS-13, he has about 2000 a month left after he pays his mortgage.

So if Jack didn't have a high debt load out of grad school, his book on Admiral Halsey was selling well and he lived frugally in other areas of his life, he might just swing the Brownstone, but that still doesn't explain the furniture...

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: June 03, 2002 11:57AM

He got most of the furniture from his parents. And the rest at flea markets and estate sales. Never let it be said that Jack Ryan can't spot a bargain.

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: June 04, 2002 01:53AM

Gotta love the off-season.

Date: June 04, 2002 02:19PM

Yup.

Apparently, Ryan wouldn't have any such worries anyway since he was rich by the time he joined the CIA. This from a friend who reads each Clancy book in about 2 hours, and according to whom, they are "getting worse," whatever that means.

Jack and Clancy.
Posted by: Keith K (---.lmco.com)
Date: June 04, 2002 04:13PM

Jack is rich... Before he went to Anapolis to become a history professor and author he was a stock broker or invstment banker or some such on Wall Street. So the brownstone would be entirely affordable.

I really enjoyed most of the Clancy books I've read. but I would agree that they have gotten worse. IMO Rainbow Six was pretty bad - just a lot of "terrorists are scum" and "soldiers are heroes".

Re: Jack and Clancy.
Posted by: cathy (128.97.45.---)
Date: June 04, 2002 05:13PM

my friend was in LA visiting, and she wanted to see some movie stars. So we went to hang out at the premiere and ended up getting free tickets.

It was fun to stand by the red carpet although most of the other people were really scary (one girl had a sign that said "Ben, the object of my Afflecktion";).

We ended up skipping the movie though, because we figured we had already seen the movie exciting part :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login