Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Minnesota Drinking Scandal

Posted by calgARI '07 
Minnesota Drinking Scandal
Posted by: calgARI '07 (209.2.89.---)
Date: November 07, 2005 12:39AM

[www.kmsp.com]

Pretty ridiculous considering how many college students drink, including atheletes. Among the players included are Flames first round pick, Kris Chucko, and projected 06 first overall pick, Phil Kessel.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2005 12:40AM by calgARI '07.

Re: Minnesota Drinking Scandal
Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 12:46AM

What a bunch of sh*theads at that TV station. Wow, college students--even hockey players-- drink? Exposé at 10!

I'm sure their viewing public will be happy with the results of this hard-hitting investigative reporting.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2005 01:00AM

Lame. Most guys playin college hockey probably started drinking around age 16 or earlier.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 01:02AM

It would take a deeper investigation to prove any Minnesota hockey players don't drink.

FWIW, NJ governor candidate Jon Corzine in a debate this weekend didn't know what the drinking age was (he thought it was 18), then said on the air he didn't have a problem with 18-year-olds drinking since some of them were going to be getting shot at in Iraq, and only afterwards once his staff clued him in to the prevailing MADD winds did he issue a politically corrected statement that of course he would never support 18 year drinking, yada yada.

Too bad. Corzine could have been a voice of reason pointing out that drinking and driving is bad but it's unrealistic to expect 18- to 21-year-olds to not drink ... that maybe you're forcing it underground where there's less not more control ... that you're making drinking a greater crime than possessing small amounts of recreational drugs (try to get first-time offender / record expunged status for an alcohol arrest) ... and that the DUI/DWI problem isn't 18-21 year olds but 21 to 25-year-olds. They're the ones with the statistically greater drinking/driving problems both now and before the age went up.

Maybe the other D1 players can wear black armbands in support of any Minnesota players who get suspended.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (128.253.190.---)
Date: November 07, 2005 01:12AM

I can't beleive they spent 6 weekends on this 'story.'

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 01:49AM

Local news is always like this.

Tonight, a special report: could the theory of evolution IMPREGNATE YOUR DAUGHTER?! But first, twenty-one minutes of footage from various local fires.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: November 07, 2005 01:58AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Tonight, a special report: could the theory of evolution IMPREGNATE YOUR DAUGHTER?! But first, twenty-one minutes of footage from various local fires.[/q]

A TREMENDOUS EXPLOSION in gas prices
PRESDIENT REAGAN DIES his hair

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 07, 2005 02:16AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Tonight, a special report: could the theory of evolution IMPREGNATE YOUR DAUGHTER?! But first, twenty-one minutes of footage from various local fires.[/q]

Fires lead the news in Philly. Murders lead the news in New York. :-P

To quote George Carlin: "The world will end at 6 o'clock tonight! But first this word from our sponsor."

Date: November 07, 2005 03:22AM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:

Tonight, a special report: could the theory of evolution IMPREGNATE YOUR DAUGHTER?! But first, twenty-one minutes of footage from various local fires.[/Q]
Fires lead the news in Philly. Murders lead the news in New York.

To quote George Carlin: "The world will end at 6 o'clock tonight! But first this word from our sponsor."[/q]The TV station would use this teaser: "Fire Levels an Upscale City Block. Tune to NewsCenter Six Late Report to see if it's yours."

The New York Times plans a News Analysis sidebar to the World Ends story headlined, "Harvard Sociologist Says Women, Minorities Likely to Be Hardest Hit."

Posted by: JordanCS (---.kaiserslautern.army.mil)
Date: November 07, 2005 05:01AM

Yeah, this has to be one of the lamest examples of 'investigative' reporting I've ever seen. Didn't they have anything better to do?

Next report: "College students having pre-marital sex....film at 11!" (though, I have to say, the ratings would surge on that one!)

Date: November 07, 2005 06:25AM

[Q]JordanCS Wrote: Yeah, this has to be one of the lamest examples of 'investigative' reporting I've ever seen. Didn't they have anything better to do?

Next report: "College students having pre-marital sex....film at 11!" (though, I have to say, the ratings would surge on that one!)[/q]And with Cornellians' typical lousy luck, the video feed wouldn't be carried in Upstate New York and even Gametracker would have nothing.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: November 07, 2005 09:07AM

The article reads like something I'd expect to find in the Onion.

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: November 07, 2005 10:09AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:The New York Times plans a News Analysis sidebar to the World Ends story headlined, "Harvard Sociologist Says Women, Minorities Likely to Be Hardest Hit." [/q]A Mort Sahl classic.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.harris.com)
Date: November 07, 2005 10:12AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
even Gametracker would have nothing.
[/q]
Maybe just the box score.

Sorry.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2005 11:07AM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

The article reads like something I'd expect to find in the Onion.[/q]

Just not nearly as well written.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-195-177.myvzw.com)
Date: November 07, 2005 12:24PM

"It takes place at Blarney Pub and Grill, in the heart of Dinkytown near the U of M campus."
In a place named "Dinkytown," the expectations can't be very high!

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.oracorp.com)
Date: November 07, 2005 12:35PM

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, head coach Don Lucia does about this. He seems to have a reputation as a "no-nonsense" coach, probably owing to his benching a few players for cutting classes a few years ago. (oooo -- yes, that's what passes for no-nonsense in COLLEGE athletics these days...) One would think suspensions of some sort would be in order, though probably no more than a game each.

Predictably, the USCHO thread on this has about 250 posts already.

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: November 07, 2005 12:41PM

[Q]fenwick Wrote:
Predictably, the USCHO thread on this has about 250 posts already.[/q]Let me guess: 210 of them are from Scooby.

Date: November 07, 2005 12:50PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:
fenwick Wrote:
Predictably, the USCHO thread on this has about 250 posts already.[/Q]
Let me guess: 210 of them are from Scooby.[/q]And poor RichS is trying to figure a way into this thread in a way that casts aspersions on Cornell and doesn't let us dredge up comments on Nickerson's lesions. What was Nickerson's first name, by the way? All I can think of is Ned, but that's the guy who through 30 Nancy Drew books never got to first base. Maybe because Nancy was hanging with her (wasn't this how Carolyn Keene put it?) "boyish chum George."

Americans believe "Drink Canada Dry" is an ad slogan. Canadians know it's a challenge. They're right, we're wrong.

Posted by: KP '06 (---.ece.cornell.edu)
Date: November 07, 2005 12:54PM

[Q]redice Wrote:

"It takes place at Blarney Pub and Grill, in the heart of Dinkytown near the U of M campus."
In a place named "Dinkytown," the expectations can't be very high![/q]

When I glanced at it quickly, I saw "Drinkytown" at first. :-P

Posted by: dadeo (---.shore.co.monmouth.nj.us)
Date: November 07, 2005 01:57PM

Well then you fellows must not have had the priveledge of following the team to UM last year for the NCAAs. Dinkytown was a happenin place.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 02:12PM

Dinkytown is a good place to get burgers and free newspapers before a game. It's also a place for hungover people to order food and just stare at it for a half hour. :-}

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 07, 2005 10:20PM

I took a bite.

Posted by: David Harding (70.131.164.---)
Date: November 07, 2005 11:45PM

"If it bleeds, it leads."

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 07, 2005 11:56PM

[Q]redice Wrote:

In a place named "Dinkytown," the expectations can't be very high![/q]

Especially if you're looking for the aforementioned "Sex on Campus" expose. rolleyes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login