Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Why is the second Niagara game in Rochester?

Posted by GTSnowracer 
Why is the second Niagara game in Rochester?
Posted by: GTSnowracer (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 10:43PM

Does anybody know why the 11-26 game against Niagara is in Rochester? It looks like that is supposed to be a "home and home" weekend, but Rochester seems a very random place for a game between those two teams.

My folks live walking distance from NU, and I'll be home for thanksgiving that weekend, but Rochester is a bit of a hike to go see the game.

Re: Why is the second Niagara game in Rochester?
Posted by: jy3 (---.bflony.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 11:28PM

[Q]GTSnowracer Wrote:

Does anybody know why the 11-26 game against Niagara is in Rochester? It looks like that is supposed to be a "home and home" weekend, but Rochester seems a very random place for a game between those two teams.

My folks live walking distance from NU, and I'll be home for thanksgiving that weekend, but Rochester is a bit of a hike to go see the game.[/q]

and you call your self a member of the lynah faithful? ;) j/k
my wife and i will be driving from cheektowaga to rochacha for the game. for us it is better than trying to get to ithaca, that is the way that I look at it. not sure why it is there instead of at niagara. as you know from living in the buffalo metro area...the rochester buffalo sports mix has been doing just that, mixing.

i am excited considering i am postcall that day and have to be in the next AM - roch is better than ithaca for me. niagara would be closer but 1 hr 15 minutes each way is easy. i did that for a concert two weeks ago.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 05, 2005 11:38PM

Yeah, I expressed that same frustration at first. I live in Amherst and expected a 20 min. drive, but I guess 1 hour 15 min isn't that bad after all. Problem is that I don't know if I'm going to Ithaca the night before for the game. Hm... lots of driving I guess.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2005 11:46PM

Personally, I'd like to see Cornell play a game in Rochester every couple of years for recruiting reasons -- though I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Niagara has 3 kids from the Rochester area and wants to continue to recruit there; if they're the "home" team playing at BCA might be a nice, and smart, thing to do. Both schools may see this as a chance to generate a bigger gate than either would at home.

It'll be interesting to see how big a draw this game is. It certainly gives a lot of Cornell fans in the Rochester & Buffalo areas a chance to see the Big Red. Every Cornell fan able to do so should try to go to the game. This is Cornell's chance to show the NCAA that (if eligible) they would be a strong draw in a Rochester regional next year.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 10:51AM

Cornell is pretty empty on Thanksgiving weekend so it's not such a big deal - for departed students - to not have it in Ithaca. You feel different if you're faculty or Ithaca resident or living in Binghamton. Having it in Rochester makes it a two-hour drive or less for students and alumni from Buffalo, Ithaca, Syracuse, and of course Rochester. The CC of Rochester is pretty large and this makes a nice event for them ... and what else is there to do that weekend in Rochester other than wrap burlap around all the lilac trees?

As with Niagara, it doesn't hurt Cornell's recruiting presence to play a game in Rochester, either. We get a few players from the Flower City.

It's a bit closer of a drive for player parents from Ontario.

It's better than playing the second game in Syracuse. Does anyone remember the dreary Syracuse Hockey Invitational Tournaments of the 1970s-1980s? Speaking of Syracuse, it's too bad the Orange don't create a D1 hockey team. That would be a great rivalry. OTOH, the more people go D1, the harder it is going to be statistically for Cornell to recapture the glory of 1967 and 1970.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2005 10:56AM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:
It'll be interesting to see how big a draw this game is. It certainly gives a lot of Cornell fans in the Rochester & Buffalo areas a chance to see the Big Red. Every Cornell fan able to do so should try to go to the game. This is Cornell's chance to show the NCAA that (if eligible) they would be a strong draw in a Rochester regional next year.[/q]
i'm too lazy to check if regionals ever been co-hosted but is there any chance this is a "dry-run" for next year.

Date: November 06, 2005 01:00PM

East Regional is slated for Rochester in 2007 but Cornell apparently is not the host school. If you make the regionals and you're the host school, you play there.

Date: November 06, 2005 01:07PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
East Regional is slated for Rochester in 2007 but Cornell apparently is not the host school. If you make the regionals and you're the host school, you play there. [/q]
where did you find this information?

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 01:33PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:
East Regional is slated for Rochester in 2007 but Cornell apparently is not the host school. If you make the regionals and you're the host school, you play there. [/Q]
where did you find this information?[/q]

Which part? The regional sites of the future are listed on the NCAA site:
[ncaasports.com]

as for playing there if you're the host school, that's pretty common knowledge, see Minnesota, 2005.

from [www.uscho.com]

[Q]teams will be moved in order to intra-conference matchups in the first round. That remains a priority. As does the need to put schools hosting a regional into that regional. These are the two sacred cows for the committee.[/Q]

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 06, 2005 01:35PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

ben03 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:
East Regional is slated for Rochester in 2007 but Cornell apparently is not the host school. If you make the regionals and you're the host school, you play there. [/Q]
where did you find this information?[/Q]
Which part? The regional sites of the future are listed on the NCAA site:

as for playing there if you're the host school, that's pretty common knowledge, see Minnesota, 2005.

from

teams will be moved in order to intra-conference matchups in the first round. That remains a priority. As does the need to put schools hosting a regional into that regional. These are the two sacred cows for the committee.[/Q]
[/q]

I think the $64,000 question is does "Host: ECAC Hockey League" mean that the "best" ECAC team gets placed at that regional? Even as I type this I'm thinking the answer is "no," but it sure would be nice.

Date: November 06, 2005 01:39PM

i was asking where Bill found out that Cornell wasn't the host for the '07 Rochester regional?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 01:39PM

If recruiting is the issue, I'd rather Cornell play games in Ottawa, Edmonton and Vancouver. :-)

I can't see us hosting an NCAA unless at the Pepsi-Knick-Corporate-Chump-of-the-Month in Albany. What are they on the hook for if they host? Money? I could see Cornell bribe, er, um, sorry, answer an NCAA RFP with a few dollars, if in doing so it improves the program --> leads to wins --> leads to alumni giving. If it turns out to be revenue neutral and by doing so we don't have to play in Minny, then what's the downside?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2005 01:42PM by Trotsky.

Date: November 06, 2005 01:46PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

i was asking where Bill found out that Cornell wasn't the host for the '07 Rochester regional?[/q]

Check the link RichH posted...

[Q]
FUTURE SITES 2007

Regionals (4)

East
March 23-24, 2007
Blue Cross Arena
Rochester, N.Y.
Host: ECAC Hockey League
[/Q]

Date: November 06, 2005 01:58PM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:

ben03 Wrote:

i was asking where Bill found out that Cornell wasn't the host for the '07 Rochester regional?[/Q]
Check the link RichH posted...

FUTURE SITES 2007

Regionals (4)

East
March 23-24, 2007
Blue Cross Arena
Rochester, N.Y.
Host: ECAC Hockey League
[/Q]
[/q]
i took this as the host was TBD, not that the whole league was a host. i could be wrong.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2005 01:59PM by ben03.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 01:59PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

If recruiting is the issue, I'd rather Cornell play games in Ottawa, Edmonton and Vancouver.

I can't see us hosting an NCAA unless at the Pepsi-Knick-Corporate-Chump-of-the-Month in Albany. What are they on the hook for if they host? Money?[/q]

How about 'running the entire event'? Organizing ticket sales, selling tickets, planning, scheduling, events (on an off ice), everything. Generally done by schools with big athletic departments, not a small operation like we have.

As for the ECAC as a host, I would think the committee would try to give us ('us' being some team in the league) some preference, but I don't think it'll be written in stone.

Date: November 06, 2005 02:00PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

i took this as the host was TBD, not that the whole league was a host. i could be wrong.[/q]

Nope, the host is the one who bids for it initially. It's the whole league - or, more literally, the league office is running it.

Date: November 06, 2005 02:02PM

gotcha, thanks :-)

Date: November 06, 2005 02:04PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:

If recruiting is the issue, I'd rather Cornell play games in Ottawa, Edmonton and Vancouver.

I can't see us hosting an NCAA unless at the Pepsi-Knick-Corporate-Chump-of-the-Month in Albany. What are they on the hook for if they host? Money?[/Q]
How about 'running the entire event'? Organizing ticket sales, selling tickets, planning, scheduling, events (on an off ice), everything. Generally done by schools with big athletic departments, not a small operation like we have.

As for the ECAC as a host, I would think the committee would try to give us ('us' being some team in the league) some preference, but I don't think it'll be written in stone.[/q]

RPI apparently has managed to co-host this year's regional in Albany. I can't imagine our athletic department has similar if not greater resources than RPI. Perhaps it's athletic department support or priorities?

Date: November 06, 2005 02:47PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
How about 'running the entire event'? Organizing ticket sales, selling tickets, planning, scheduling, events (on an off ice), everything. Generally done by schools with big athletic departments, not a small operation like we have.[/q]

Meh. That's what subcontractors are for. Also, doesn't Cornell have an enormous athletic department budget? I remember reading something to that effect a few years ago and thinking, damn, lining up dates for a polo pony is almost as expensive as for a point guard.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2005 02:47PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 03:10PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Meh. That's what subcontractors are for. Also, doesn't Cornell have an enormous athletic department budget? I remember reading something to that effect a few years ago and thinking, damn, lining up dates for a polo pony is almost as expensive as for a point guard.
[/q]

And it isn't like they had the money for an unneccesary palace to the sport of the Athletic Director....oh wait.

Date: November 06, 2005 03:13PM

Whoosh.......... (sound of plane flying over my head)

Date: November 06, 2005 03:53PM

Money from donors is different than people resources.

I agree that they could contract it out, but do you really think our athletic dep't wants to spend that amount of money just to maybe get our team another 'home' game or two? Sure, we want tem to, but we don't have to do the work, and we probably care more.

I agree that co-hosting is an interesting option, RIT & Cornell, Colgate and Cornell, something like that. But again, I just don't get the feeling our ticket office cares enough to do all that work (and it is a good amount of work) for this.

Date: November 06, 2005 05:10PM

Last year RIT was mentioned as the host school for the March 2007 Rochester regionals and now it's listed as the ECAC. It would be nice if Cornell stepped up to the plate and offered to manage/host the regionals but I don't think Cornell itself shares the opinion that eLynah opinion that Cornell has vast resources and funds available to take it on. This much is conjecture plus common sense (although why I'm using that word in reference to the NCAA ...), but I don't think the NCAA would let the ECAC well into the 2006-07 season turn the tournament over to Cornell so Cornell could secure that home site, nor could the ECAC say that all its schools are co-host schools and deserve that home court advantage if chosen.

Too bad one of the NCAA seeding and site-swapping rules is not " for the good of the game ... for better attendance ... and to right wrongs of previous years' seedings" because then Cornell would have a lock on Rochester.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 05:11PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

I agree that co-hosting is an interesting option, RIT & Cornell, Colgate and Cornell, something like that. But again, I just don't get the feeling our ticket office cares enough to do all that work (and it is a good amount of work) for this.[/q]

I don't really want to imagine our ticket office doing that amount of work. If they manage to botch our own ticket distribution year after year, imagine what would happen if they tried to do ticket distribution for NCAA.
worry

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2005 11:22PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

[/q]

Except that Cornell is (or could be) a household name in Rochester and the city is a 90 minute drive from Ithaca. Personally, I don't care where they come from as long as they're good citizens, can do the work, and bring a national championship to the hill. :-)

Interestingly, according to McKeen's top 100 draft propects there are 27 kids from the U.S. on the list. Two of those kids are from Rochester (Michigan's Sauer and OSU-bound Montgomery) and two are from Buffalo (MSU-bound Ratchuk and the OHL's Foligno). Cornell has zero kids on the list.

Posted by: Winnabago (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 11:38AM

In response to the original topic on the list. Anyone who has ever been to a game at Dwyer up in Lewiston knows why the big name programs don't want to play there. I lived nearby for several years after I graduated, and would go to see the likes of Canisius and Wayne State for three dollars.

It has all the character of the RINK in Ithaca, complete with high-glare white metal walls and ceiling, seating on ONE side, and the worst acoustics of any barn I've been to. The PA speakers are literally 15 feet from your face as you sit there. I seem to remember that it's pretty small too (listed generously at 1600). So, it probably couldn't handle the numbers of faithful expected. That would be my theory.

Now that I think of it, though, Starr rink is almost as bad, so I could be wrong...rolleyes

Date: November 08, 2005 11:25PM

I am interested in purchasing ~5 tickets for the Niagara game in Rochester. Does anybody here know if that game is all sold out, and if not, where/how do I get tickets?? Thanks.

Date: November 08, 2005 11:45PM

[Q]canuck89 Wrote:
I am interested in purchasing ~5 tickets for the Niagara game in Rochester. Does anybody here know if that game is all sold out, and if not, where/how do I get tickets?? Thanks.[/q]
Blue Cross Arena seats 12,000+ so i doubt it's sold out. everything you need should be here: [www.bluecrossarena.com]

Date: November 09, 2005 03:46PM

Just a question then, what section are the faithful mainly sitting in, or is it totally random? Thanks for the help.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.37.117.26.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 09, 2005 06:57PM

[Q]canuck89 Wrote:

I am interested in purchasing ~5 tickets for the Niagara game in Rochester. Does anybody here know if that game is all sold out, and if not, where/how do I get tickets?? Thanks.[/q]

We ordered tickets through the Cornell ticket office. However, that was some weeks ago and there's no sign of them... That way, at least, we'd be with Cornell people.

Posted by: jy3 (---.bflony.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2005 08:08PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

canuck89 Wrote:
I am interested in purchasing ~5 tickets for the Niagara game in Rochester. Does anybody here know if that game is all sold out, and if not, where/how do I get tickets?? Thanks.[/Q]
Blue Cross Arena seats 12,000+ so i doubt it's sold out. everything you need should be here:[/q]

yeah i think my wife was going to order from CU today. they had tickets last week. so hopefully they had them today :) she isnt home yet, i am curious about the outcome

oh and i remember the syracuse invitational tourneys from the past 10 years! funny how this came up in a niagara/rochester thread when the games at the SIT were torture because once niagara got their lead they just iced the puck or slid it down the boards. granted cornell looked horrible...but those games were aweful

Posted by: dbilmes (---.37.117.26.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 14, 2005 06:40PM

[Q]canuck89 Wrote:

Just a question then, what section are the faithful mainly sitting in, or is it totally random? Thanks for the help.[/q]

We got the tickets today...section 123.

Is there any sort of CHA bus going Ithaca-Rochester for that?

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2005 01:07PM

[Q]dbilmes Wrote:

Is there any sort of CHA bus going Ithaca-Rochester for that?[/q]

Yes, there is a CHA bus trip.

See this thread:

[elf.elynah.com]

Wish I could go, but we'll be out of town, celebrating Thanksgiving.
Andy W.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.0.124.24.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 03:12PM

Yeah, thanks. We ended up signing up for that. :-D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login