Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Oh you Silly Clarkson Fans

Posted by BigRedBrouhaha 
Oh you Silly Clarkson Fans
Posted by: BigRedBrouhaha (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2005 12:47PM

This photo was taken at the RPI Clarkson game at Clarkson

Please note, the banner was hung up BY clarkson fans over their Own student section

Re: Oh you Silly Clarkson Fans
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 01:04PM

[Q]BigRedBrouhaha Wrote:

Please note, the banner was hung up BY clarkson fans over their Own student section

[/q]
Doesn't surprise you, does it? B-]

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: November 05, 2005 01:07PM

[Q]BigRedBrouhaha Wrote:

[/q]In their defense (not sure why I'm defending them, but...), the banner is in RPI's colors, isn't it?

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2005 01:09PM

[Q]BigRedBrouhaha Wrote:

[/q]

Looks like the pot is calling the kettle "Red".

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.graham.clarkson.edu)
Date: November 05, 2005 04:16PM

OMGZ A CLARKSON FAN READS ELYNAH :)

Actually, we didn't have a choice as to where we could hang it. All but one banner had to be hung on that wall, per our arena director's instructions. Trust me, if we were allowed to hang it ourselves, we'd have put it over the opponents' section. Obviously, we made the banner RPI's colors to signify exactly who we were talking about.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 05, 2005 04:17PM

You know, you could always, um... make it clearer by adding the letters "RPI."

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 04:19PM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote:

OMGZ A CLARKSON FAN READS ELYNAH

Actually, we didn't have a choice as to where we could hang it. All but one banner had to be hung on that wall, per our arena director's instructions. Trust me, if we were allowed to hang it ourselves, we'd have put it over the opponents' section. Obviously, we made the banner RPI's colors to signify exactly who we were talking about.[/q]

We have other Clarkson readers. It's actually quite cordial, in most cases.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 04:21PM

Also, since the visitors section is technically a corner of the arena, the logistics of hanging it above them would be very difficult to still make it visible.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2005 04:22PM by RichH.

Date: November 05, 2005 04:27PM

Probably even more amusing are the pictures of RPI's team's heads being shaved.

It's for a good cause, so good for them, but it doesn't lessen the humor for everyone involved.

[www.rpihockey.net]

Or should this go on the "bald" thread? :-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2005 04:28PM by RichH.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 04:45PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

Probably even more amusing are the pictures of RPI's team's heads being shaved.

It's for a good cause, so good for them, but it doesn't lessen the humor for everyone involved.

Or should this go on the "bald" thread?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11/05/05 04:28PM by RichH.[/q]

Cancer is humorous? rolleyes BTW, the hair is being donated to make wigs for cancer patients who have lost their hair due to treatments.

OTOH, Clarkson thinking that RPI is a safety school for them is humorous. However I do not agree with the second sentence of the next-to-the-last paragraph of this letter to the editor in the RPI student newspaper. [www.poly.rpi.edu]

Date: November 05, 2005 04:48PM

How in the world did you take my sentence to mean that I thought that it was the cancer that was humorous? Judging by the smiles in each of the photographs, I believe that they are having a good time with what they are doing, which I pointed out was a very good cause.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2005 04:51PM by RichH.

Date: November 05, 2005 04:53PM

[Q]ursaminor Wrote:Cancer is humorous? [/q]If we thought cancer was humorous, we'd say something like "If they really wanted to show solidarity with a guy who has testicular cancer, ..."

Date: November 05, 2005 04:54PM

[Q]ursaminor Wrote:
Cancer is humorous?[/q]

Depends who has it.

Date: November 05, 2005 04:56PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

How in the world did you take my sentence to mean that I thought that it was the cancer that was humorous? Judging by the smiles in each of the photographs makes me believe that they are having a good time with what they are doing, which I pointed out was a very good cause.[/q]
It is, of course, always hard to understand the exact meaning of anything that is written, so I'll take your latest statement as a clarification of your earlier one.

While, I agree that the pictures are somewhat amusing, I don't think that there is any humor in Kirk MacDonald's situation. I hope that he is able to return to hockey next season and more importantly continue with his life.

Date: November 05, 2005 04:59PM

[Q]ursaminor Wrote:
While, I agree that the pictures are somewhat amusing, I don't think that there is any humor in Kirk MacDonald's situation. I hope that he is able to return to hockey next season and more importantly continue with his life.[/q]

I agree without question.

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 05:03PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

daredevilcu Wrote:

OMGZ A CLARKSON FAN READS ELYNAH

Actually, we didn't have a choice as to where we could hang it. All but one banner had to be hung on that wall, per our arena director's instructions. Trust me, if we were allowed to hang it ourselves, we'd have put it over the opponents' section. Obviously, we made the banner RPI's colors to signify exactly who we were talking about.[/Q]
We have other Clarkson readers. It's actually quite cordial, in most cases.[/q]

I always try to be cordial when I visit eLynah.....I try to take my shoes off before I come in your house.

Come 1/21...... I may track a little mud. ;-)

Date: November 05, 2005 05:19PM

In all honestly, RPI really WAS a safety school for me. I applied there and was accepted, but chose Clarkson and I know I am much happier for it. As for not adding RPI to the "Safety School" banner, we want to be able to reuse it for other schools as well. RIT, for example (my other safety school). That's why the main color used was black -- very universal.

Date: November 05, 2005 05:30PM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote:In all honestly, RPI really WAS a safety school for me.[/q] Just because it was your second choice, that doesn't make it a safety school. These aren't the most updated stats, but (after a whole nine seconds of research) it looks like - of these two safety schools in the ECACHL - RPI is the harder school to get into.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2005 05:32PM by ugarte.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2005 05:34PM

[Q]ursaminor Wrote:

OTOH, Clarkson thinking that RPI is a safety school for them is humorous. However I do not agree with the second sentence of the next-to-the-last paragraph of this letter to the editor in the RPI student newspaper. [/q]

But this is not the second sentence? looking

[q]You have earned the right to attend one of the highest quality colleges in the world.[/q]

Hey RPI, your Puckman just called, he said every cheer from your fans includes the word "sucks". laugh

Date: November 05, 2005 05:41PM

Actually, I think a second choice by nature is a safety school. You only come up with other options in case your first choice doesn't pan out, therefore MAKING your second choice your safety school. Keep in mind, safety does not necessarily mean grades, it can also mean money issues as well (wasn't the case for me but I know people who have had that problem).

Date: November 05, 2005 05:42PM

[Q]marty Wrote:

ursaminor Wrote:

OTOH, Clarkson thinking that RPI is a safety school for them is humorous. However I do not agree with the second sentence of the next-to-the-last paragraph of this letter to the editor in the RPI student newspaper. [/Q]
But this is not the second sentence?

You have earned the right to attend one of the highest quality colleges in the world.[/Q]
Hey RPI, your Puckman just called, he said every cheer from your fans includes the word "sucks". [/q]

That's the third sentence by my count. :-D I have to say that I chuckled over that statement myself. Then again, perhaps RPI has improved in the last 30 years.

[Very OT] Re: Oh you Silly Clarkson Fans
Posted by: Mission Accomplished (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 05, 2005 06:05PM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote:

Actually, I think a second choice by nature is a safety school.[/q]

Nice try. snore ;-)

Normally you have some reach schools, some top choices, and some safety schools.

Even if you only apply to two schools, that does not imply that the second school is a safety school. It has been discussed here many times that chanting safety school to Harvard is tongue in cheek, even if Harvard was a second choice.

Consider this bulletin board for nervous college parents:

[www.collegeconfidential.com]

It's pretty clear that most people consider a safety school to be a school that is not a top choice and is one in which acceptance is "all but guaranteed."

It sounds like you were being very over confident when considering RPI to be a safety school--unless of course you are into theatre.

Date: November 05, 2005 06:53PM

A safety school is one which the only reason you would go there is failing to get into your other choices, and you don't want to work at PetSmart for the rest of your life.

My safety school was Utica College. I wasn't taking any chances.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2005 06:54PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 07:47PM

Let's make this easy. In Division I Hockey there's Cornell and 60 safety schools.
B-]

Re: [Very OT] Re: Oh you Silly Clarkson Fans
Date: November 05, 2005 09:59PM

Well, I had already received an award/scholarship to RPI, and had more than enough grades/extracurricular-wise to get into that school, so I don't feel it was overconfidence at all. But I'm not going to argue it, I expected to get into RPI and RIT, I wasn't as sure about Clarkson, so they were my safety schools. You don't have to agree or like it.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 11:22PM

I guess in that particular case, DareDevil, it would be a unique case in which an RPI-like school could be a safety school. Heck, I got into Cornell without much difficulty, and I applied to RPI and did not consider it a safety school. UConn was my safety school, and as a Ct resident, wasn't a question. RPI isn't a safety school for anyone who's not overconfident - or doesn't have extenuating circumstances (i.e. previous contact, scholarship, parent on the faculty, etc). Then again, neither is Clarkson for the most part.

Alright, enough acting like a normal, nice, polite human being ;-) ...

[Q]schoaff Wrote:

Let's make this easy. In Division I Hockey there's Cornell and 60 safety schools.[/q]

Funny, I can only think of 58.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 11:24PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

schoaff Wrote:

Let's make this easy. In Division I Hockey there's Cornell and 60 safety schools.[/Q]
Funny, I can only think of 58.[/q]

You forgot Darmouth and Brom.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 11:36PM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:

DeltaOne81 Wrote:

schoaff Wrote:

Let's make this easy. In Division I Hockey there's Cornell and 60 safety schools.[/Q]
Funny, I can only think of 58.[/Q]
You forgot Darmouth and Brom.[/q]

LOL! Touche nut

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 12:38AM

Actually, RPI was kind of a safety school for me Admission seemed pretty guaranteed when I got a second application in the mail the day after the application deadline saying essentially "don't worry, you can still apply." (I'm not joking here - this did actually happen.)

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 12:46AM

wait - people apply to more than one school? Who knew? :-P

Posted by: Hair (---.sc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2005 01:05AM

that's the reason my hair was chopped off a year ago at Ithaca College. I miss it. The girls loved it. Aw yeah

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 03:58PM

Back in 1970, admittedly a loooooong time ago, RPI was definitely much easier to get into in my experience. I hadn't started the process looking at it as a safety school (that's what IC was for) but it became that.

It was all irrelevant once I visited downtown Troy. :-D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login