Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros - Nov '05

Posted by Jeff Hopkins '82 
Alumni in the Pros - Nov '05
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 12:05AM

OK, there's till one day left in October, but I thought I get a jump on it. :-P

From the Phantoms webpage:

Charlie Cook - 0G, 3A, 3P, +1, 0 PIM, in 5 games played.

That's good for 4th in points on the Phantoms, with 3-4 fewer games than the others.

Re: Alumni in the Pros - Nov '05
Posted by: JordanCS (---.kaiserslautern.army.mil)
Date: October 31, 2005 04:54AM

For Halloween news, Lenny saved 24, allowing 3 in a 3-2 loss to Anaheim last night.

While Lenny's GAA is above Marty Brodeur's right now, his SV% is in the toilet, .872. Apparently Phoenix likes him enough to keep him around this long, which is pretty good. Hopefully he'll put it together as the season goes on.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 04, 2005 08:22AM

Nice article about Vesce and his impact in Springfield.

[www.masslive.com]

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.unwired-grad.wm.edu)
Date: November 07, 2005 09:49AM

Solid outing for Leneveu last night, stopping 34 of 36 shots. Unfortunately, the 2nd goal came on a 3 on 1 break in overtime, giving Chicago a 2-1 win over Phoenix.

Posted by: David Harding (70.131.164.---)
Date: November 07, 2005 11:10PM

The Daily Herald story on the game featured an AP photo of Lenny stopping a close shot by the Blackhawks' Borque. This led me to check Google image search for LeNeveu, where I found a bunch of shots.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2005 11:47PM by David Harding.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 12:34AM

same photo, in color:
[sports.yahoo.com]

Posted by: dss28 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 11:11AM

Not a Cornell alum, but an ECAC alum...

Hugh Jessimen was sent down to Charlotte from Hartford.

Posted by: dss28 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2005 10:10PM

Saw Shane Hynes play tonight against Hartford... he done good. And, Kevin Dineen was the coach of Portland!! Good to see him back in Hartford.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (209.2.89.---)
Date: November 09, 2005 10:32PM

Stempniak scored for St. Louis tonight.

Posted by: Rita (---.resnet.purdue.edu)
Date: November 09, 2005 10:50PM

I loved Kevin Dineen when he played with the whalers ... hmmm.... some years ago (yeah, some years ago....). he was not afraid to go in the corners and dig it out, not afraid to stand in front the net and played hard every night, even when battling with crohn's disease. I had the chance to meet him a few times and genuinely a nice guy, even to an awkward, tongue tied teenager with a big crush on him.

Sounds like a perfect fit for shane as he moves on to the next level........

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2005 02:08AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Stempniak scored for St. Louis tonight. [/q]That's two now for Stempniak. In related news, Jessiman is still in the ECHL. :-(

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2005 07:49AM

[Q]dss28 Wrote:
And, Kevin Dineen was the coach of Portland!! Good to see him back in Hartford.[/q]

Awesome! :-D

He still lives in the Hartford area, doesn't it? During the summers at least. I know he still did well after the team was gone.

Posted by: The Rancor (65.5.157.---)
Date: November 10, 2005 12:33PM

[www.phoenixcoyotes.com]

more on lenny

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2005 06:31PM

[Q]The Rancor Wrote:

more on lenny[/q]
Big article on Gretzky and his coaching role in today's USA Today--but no mention of David.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 10:11AM

Good night for Hynes last night, he tallied a goal and an assist, and was named 2nd star in a 5-1 win over Ryan Vesce and the Springfield Falcons.

[stats.theahl.com]

Vesce didn't put up any points in this game...but so far in 13 AHL games he has 13 points: 4 goals and 9 assists. Not too shabby.

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 11:50AM

I look for a break from our horrible play in our alumni, check out what Vesce has been doing! First star of the game with the game winner and 2 g and 1 a for the game.

[ahl.leaguestat.com]

Date: November 20, 2005 11:52AM

[Q]Brian Wrote:

I look for a break from our horrible play in our alumni, check out what Vesce has been doing! First star of the game with the game winner and 2 g and 1 a for the game.

[/q]

Oh yeah he had 3 a the night before and got the 2nd star!

Date: November 20, 2005 11:56AM

Haven't seen Bâby mentioned lately, is he hurt? Maybe we can bring in his leadership to help out this years team if he's not doing anthing!

Posted by: pfibiger (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 02:39PM

[Q]Brian Wrote:

Haven't seen Bâby mentioned lately, is he hurt? Maybe we can bring in his leadership to help out this years team if he's not doing anthing![/q]

He's still playing for the Chicago Wolves, but so far has been held scoreless.

Posted by: moskcraig (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 05:56PM

STARTING GOALTENDER: Rookie David LeNeveu will start in goal for the Coyotes tonight against Federov and the Blue Jackets. Gametime: 8pm est. Get the audio via nhl.com.
B-]

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 10:28PM

Lenny gets 5-1 victory vs. Columbus.

Posted by: strixvaria (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 21, 2005 12:22AM

And the third star.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: November 23, 2005 08:23PM

Nieuwy is back from his latest injury. He played in the 0-3 loss to NJ and tonight's 0-5 in progress game, also against NJ. Considering FL hasn't scored in 5 periods, it isn't a shock that Joe has no points since returning.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: November 23, 2005 09:24PM

Jeremy Downs has signed with the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs of the CHL. In his first game he had one shot, one assist, and finished +2.

The hyphenated sieve is now on the roster of the Loredo Bucks as the #2 goalie. He hasn't played yet, and the #1 goalie has only played one game. I don't have the energy to track down what happened to the three goalies who split the time up to this point.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: November 23, 2005 09:31PM

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:

Brian Wrote:

Haven't seen Bâby mentioned lately, is he hurt? Maybe we can bring in his leadership to help out this years team if he's not doing anthing![/Q]
He's still playing for the Chicago Wolves, but so far has been held scoreless.[/q]He has played in 10 of the team's 15 games and racked up 14 penalty minutes without scoring a goal.

Date: November 24, 2005 02:22AM

I went to the Elmira @ Roanoke (UHL) game (in VA) to see Sam Paolini. Of course, as soon as I settled into my seat behind the visitors bench during warmups, they announce the scratches...including #25. Looks like he didn't make the trip. Most likely scenario was that he stayed in NY for Thanksgiving. I think the Elmira website lists him as wearing an "A"

Anyway, I noticed that Sean Conschafter (UVM) is a goaltender for Roanoke. But he wasn't starting, either. Crap. So the only person I recognized on the ice was Carl Drakensjo (CCT) who has been with the Jackals since their birth. Until I realized who was tending net for Elmira...Nick Boucher. Ah, crap. I already had found myself cheering for the Jackals (having moved down here from the Corning area), so then I have to root for Nicky Nick.

Anyway, Roanoke was clearly the better team on the ice, but Boucher looked pretty good in net. Elmira got off to a 2-0 lead (including a nifty SHG), and Roanoke later tied it. The UHL is typically hack and fling hockey...not really that pretty or exciting. 3 "near fights" almost broke out, all involving Roanoke's #7, making it the cleanest UHL game I've ever seen, since the gloves were never dropped. Drakensjo had a nice night...a goal and an almost-fight with #7, but the PA guy pronounced his name differently each time. For some reason, there's no OT in the UHL, but they had a shootout, making it pretty anti-climactic for me. Boucher and his counterpart each let in 2 goals, and then some guy named Jan Jos won it with a trickler that slipped past Boucher. No handshakes. I don't think the home crowd knew what a shootout was.

Speaking of the crowd, there were probably more than 1000 people. Several yahoos near me didn't really know the rules of hockey, but they knew that if something happened to benefit the visiting team instead of Roanoke, you had to scream something decrying the ref. One guy was livid that they whistled an offsides even though Roanoke didn't touch the puck while offsides. A good number of fans wore NHL jerseys...the only other collegiate reference other than the CU jersey I wore was some guy wearing a Badgers sweatshirt. Besides the tons of people wearing Virginia Tech stuff, of course.

mid-period promotions included chuck-a-puck for tickets and an oil change, turkey bowling (which they started all the contestants at the blue line...nobody could heave the turkey to the goal), and the ever popular t-shirt cannon. Ever want to hear every kid in a building shriek at a high volume? Get a t-shirt cannon. Oh, and the Vipers mascot has to be the most phallic mascot since Joe Camel.

One last funny moment: Before the introductions, they were playing typical hockey DJ music. Until they must have wanted to play "Misirlou" from the "Pulp Fiction" Soundtrack, and the bit of dialogue that begins the track came out...including the F-bombs. Somehow, childrens heads didn't explode from hearing the word "fucking," much to the dismay of the CU Athletic Director.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2005 02:33AM by RichH.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 24, 2005 09:20AM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

I went to the Elmira @ Roanoke (UHL) game (in VA) to see Sam Paolini. Of course, as soon as I settled into my seat behind the visitors bench during warmups, they announce the scratches...including #25. Looks like he didn't make the trip. Most likely scenario was that he stayed in NY for Thanksgiving.[/q]

Wonder if we'll see him Saturday at the Niagara game.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-195-230.myvzw.com)
Date: November 24, 2005 12:17PM

Rich, Sam has a knee injury. I don't recall the exact nature of the injury. But, I think it was not real serious. He'll be back in the lineup soon. Yes, he is an assistant captain and a great "character" addition for the Jackals.

Date: November 24, 2005 12:29PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Nieuwy is back from his latest injury. He played in the 0-3 loss to NJ and tonight's 0-5 in progress game, also against NJ. Considering FL hasn't scored in 5 periods, it isn't a shock that Joe has no points since returning.[/q]
He picked up an assist on a ppg at 19:42 of the third last night, making the final 5-1. If he wants a Cup with a fourth team he'd better get himself traded pronto.

Date: November 26, 2005 12:43PM

Murray had an assist on the first goal of the game and he also had the game winner last night for Cleveland, Iggy had a rough night. Vesce had an assist on the game winner in his contest also! Still nothing on Bâby, he must have a major injury or he needs to prove himself again. It seems as though they may have given up on Bâby, his playing time and dwindled the last two years.

Posted by: 2tkCornell (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 11:47PM

Ryan Vesce 8th in the AHL in Scoring and 2nd among Rookies. Hopefully he will get signed by an NHL team after the season and make a jump to the big time next season. We need some young Cornellian forwards playing in the NHL!

Also, Charlie Cook scored his first goal at a Phantom last night. Shane Hynes has not played recently since Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry are back with Portland after 15 game stints with Anaheim. Don't expect him to play much more until one of Getzlaf and Perry are called up. Still think it was a bad career move on Hynes part to sign with Anahiem, with them having so many power forward prospects higher on the depth chart than Hynes.

Iggulden is around 15th in AHL rookies among scoring getting significant production on the powerplay. Surprisingly he is not a penalty killer though.

Date: November 27, 2005 11:58PM

While looking at some UHL stuff, I noticed that P.C. Drouin '96 is with the Fort Wayne Komets, leading them in scoring. 6-11-17 in 15 games.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 28, 2005 01:19AM

Okay, so these stories of alums doing well has me curious - can I see any of them in Pensacola this season?

Off the top of their heads, does anyone know of any Cornellians on these rosters? I looked at them, and I see a bunch of ECAC alums, but no one that wears my favorite shade of red.

Pensacola Ice Pilots
Bakersfield Condors (RPI's Nick Economakos is on this roster)
Charlotte Checkers (Jessiman here)
Gwinnett Gladiators (Yale's Dwyer, UVM's Mifsud)
Florida Everblades
Greenville Grrrowl (awful name and some truly bad hairdos)
Pheonix Roadrunners
Augusta Lynx (Clarkson's Scuderi)
South Carolina Stingrays
Columbia Inferno

(Then I looked to see how far away Shreveport is...eek. I didn't realize it was in the Arkansas/Texas corner.)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2005 07:48AM

Underhill's still in the ECHL, with the Alaska Aces. Seems to be playing about half their games, maybe a little more.

Date: November 28, 2005 08:50AM

[Q]Liz '05 Wrote:
Off the top of their heads, does anyone know of any Cornellians on these rosters? I looked at them, and I see a bunch of ECAC alums, but no one that wears my favorite shade of red.[/q]I took a quick look through them, and it looks like you were right. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 28, 2005 09:06AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

Liz '05 Wrote:
Off the top of their heads, does anyone know of any Cornellians on these rosters? I looked at them, and I see a bunch of ECAC alums, but no one that wears my favorite shade of red.[/Q]
I took a quick look through them, and it looks like you were right. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

[/q]

:-/ Oh well. Til Estero then! :)

Posted by: DL (59.40.26.---)
Date: November 30, 2005 05:05AM

Looks like Lenny will be starting for Phoenix against the Mighty Ducks tonight.
[www.phoenixcoyotes.com]
It will be his 2nd start and 3rd appearance (regular season, all losses) against Anaheim.

Date: November 30, 2005 06:06PM

[Q]Darren Leung Wrote:
[/q]
Apparently Comcast internet subscribers can watch a webcast of the game tonight at 10:30.

[www.comcast.net]

Date: December 01, 2005 12:25AM

[Q]Darren Leung Wrote:

It will be his 2nd start and 3rd appearance (regular season, all losses) against Anaheim. [/q]It's looking like it's not Lenny's night against the Ducks, again. 4-0 Anaheim after 2 periods, and the Ducks will start the 3rd with about a half minute of 5x3 power play. Continuing a theme in Lenny's starts, the Coyotes are getting badly outshot, 23-11 after 2 periods.

In unrelated news, the big story in the NHL tonight is that the Bruins traded Joe Thornton to San Jose. There's some relevance to this thread, as well, in that one of the players going to Boston was Brad Stuart, who probably was San Jose's best defenseman. This would seem to make it more likely that there'll be room for Doug Murray to crack the big club, maybe not this year but at least sometime in the not-too-distant future, as San Jose seems dedicated to developing young defensemen (they've got 6 on their roster after Stuart's departure, all under 29, and the fact that two of them are former NCAA players suggests that they're willing to give college guys a shot).

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 01, 2005 07:54AM

I was at the Flyers game last night and during one of the commercial breaks they showed an ad on the big screen for the Phantoms which included a scene of Charlie Cook celebrating a goal (not his goal, mind you, but you could clearly read his name on his uni).

Not as good as seeing it in person, but still nice to see him as "part of the team."

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: December 01, 2005 03:57PM

It is official, Murray has been called up:

> To replace Toskala on the roster, the Sharks have recalled defenseman Doug Murray from Cleveland.
> Murray is being called up to the Sharks for the first time in his career. He started the 2005-06 season as one of the alternate captains for Cleveland, appearing in 19 games and scoring a goal on seven assists for eight points with 35 PIM. Murray had the best season of his professional career last year with the Barons by scoring six goals and 17 assists (23 points) in 54 games.
> The six-foot-three, 240 pound defenseman from Bromma, Sweden was selected by the Sharks in the eighth round (241st overall) of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft. Murray played his college hockey at Cornell from 1999-03.
> Murray is expected to join the Sharks in time for Friday night> '> s game in Buffalo against the Sabres.
>

Date: December 02, 2005 09:52AM

It's about damn time! Kickass Murray!!!!

Posted by: canuck89 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2005 12:42PM

Date: December 02, 2005 08:36PM

And Phoenix sent Boucher down.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 09:04AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

And Phoenix sent Boucher down.[/q]

Lenny avenges JMP!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login