Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Redundant Sign?

Posted by Killer 
Redundant Sign?
Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.co)
Date: October 30, 2005 12:55PM

I went to the Dartmouth-Harvard game last night (you know, taking visiting relatives who are Dartmouth grads to see a game) and some Dartmouth fans had a sign that said "Harvard Sucks". Now, isn't that the same as holding up a sign that says, "Sucks Sucks"?

BTW, though who's to say how much you can base on the first game of the season, neither team looked especially impressive (don't be fooled by Harvard's 6 goals). Harvard seems to have their usual fast-paced game, but doesn't look that anxious to mix it up in a very physical contest. Dartmouth controlled most of the first two periods, but couldn't really create many serious scoring chances. And they got a bit lax from time to time, resulting in Harvard scoring 3 goals on only 9 SOG through 2 periods. Heck, Harvard's first goal was hardly even a shot - the intial shot got deflected and just slowly bounced the last 15 feet towards the goal...and just as it looked like Samuel had it blocked, it jumped up and over his stick and trickled into the net.

In the third period, Dartmouth tried to turn it around, but the more aggressive they tried to be, the sloppier they got and the roof fell in. Every time you looked, Dartmouth was making a bad pass, overskating the puck, or falling down, resulting in numerous odd-man rushes for Harvard...and a 3-goal period.

Neither goalie did much of anything to say they can take over for Hyphen or Yacey. I can't recall a single save made all night where you had to stop and go, "Wow!"

And speaking of unimpressive, Harvard continues to have the shittiest fans around. Don't for a moment believe the attendance figures in the box score, which say it was a sellout. The box office said they had lots of tickets left at game time, at least a quarter of the seats, maybe more, remained empty throughout the game. And don't try to tell me that those fans were in the arena, but standing at the back. Yeah, right! No band, no organized cheers, people not paying attention to the game. Yep, typical Sucks game on a Saturday night. Hell, not only couldn't I sell the extra ticket we had, I had trouble giving it away. I finally gave it to some girl who was debating going to the game with her friend or catching some 7:00 bus to who-knows-where. Of course, the half-naked moron who paints himself crimson, with the "H" on his chest, was there. Quite clearly, he's still never seen the inside of a gym.

Oh, and a final note for those of you dreaming up cheers and taunts for upcoming games - Dartmouth has a freshman forward by the name of Swallow. Oh, that poor bastard, when he comes to Lynah.

Re: Redundant Sign?
Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 01:05PM

Good report!

Posted by: Molgestron (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 01:47PM

[Q]Killer Wrote:
Oh, and a final note for those of you dreaming up cheers and taunts for upcoming games - Dartmouth has a freshman forward by the name of Swallow. Oh, that poor bastard, when he comes to Lynah.[/q]

Kevin Swallow was on the U-18 team two years ago and paid a visit to Lynah. Section D rode him all game (Bryan Lerg also, incidentally). After that welcome, I can't imagine he's happy about coming back. :-D

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 02:25PM

[Q]Killer Wrote:

And speaking of unimpressive, Harvard continues to have the shittiest fans around. Don't for a moment believe the attendance figures in the box score, which say it was a sellout. The box office said they had lots of tickets left at game time, at least a quarter of the seats, maybe more, remained empty throughout the game. And don't try to tell me that those fans were in the arena, but standing at the back. Yeah, right! No band, no organized cheers, people not paying attention to the game. Yep, typical Sucks game on a Saturday night. Hell, not only couldn't I sell the extra ticket we had, I had trouble giving it away. I finally gave it to some girl who was debating going to the game with her friend or catching some 7:00 bus to who-knows-where. Of course, the half-naked moron who paints himself crimson, with the "H" on his chest, was there. Quite clearly, he's still never seen the inside of a gym.[/q]
I was about to suggest that perhaps the band had travelled for football yesterday, but it looks like the Dartmouth game was played at Harvard. As was the women's hockey game that afternoon. Weird. They're usually pretty good about supporting their hockey team at home.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 02:26PM

[Q]Killer Wrote:

...though who's to say how much you can base on the first game of the season, neither team looked especially impressive (don't be fooled by Harvard's 6 goals).[/q]

Dartmouth hasn't been able to eke out a win at Bright in a long time, if ever. USCHO's archives only go back to the 98-99 season, but they show that Dartmouth hasn't won or even tied a game @ Sucks between then and now.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 02:05AM

What about a sign that says "Harvard Sucks is Redundant!"

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 10:06AM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote: What about a sign that says "Harvard Sucks is Redundant!"[/q]Put an asterisk in place of the "U" in "Redundant" just to be safe.

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 03:33PM

I heard from a DU alum that they football-hockey tickets had been sold in a combo pack, but that many DU fans got cold being rained/snowed on in the PM, went to dinner somewhere, and then didn't make it back to the rink for the second half of their combo ticket.

And Sucks' turnout Harvarded.

FWIW.

LGR!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login