Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

MSU 4, Cornell 3 post-game (game 2) thread

Posted by billhoward 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: MSU 4, Cornell 3 post-game (game 2) thread
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.0.127.20.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 11:49PM

[Q]gatitita '05 Wrote:

s v o b o d a ... VARTERESSIAN VARTERESSIAN

... wasn't that when that cheer came back? or am i dating myself [/q]

That cheer came back?! That's fantastic.

I remember doing that at OSU at the '03 opener and at a few home games, but nobody ever really got it.

s-v-o-b-o-d-a..... Connors! Connors!

Posted by: gatitita '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 12:05AM

yeah... Vart had the advantage of also being large, #9, and with a last name you didnt want to actually try to spell! it worked well for the cheer, but im not sure it ever really got outside the band.

Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 02:51AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

nr53 Wrote:

not sure if this was what you saw, but i remember seeing McCutcheon giving a MSU player a few hard jabs in the corner away from all everyone else while the refs were trying to break up the mess around the net.

I seem to remember him getting in a fight two years ago towards the end of game 1 of the Clarkson series (either him or another player who hadn't done much all season). really beat the crap out of a much bigger guy who was a major goon, sweater over his head and everything... i think i remember who but the mere mention of the name might upset some sensibilities [/Q]
You're thinking of Varteressian. Of course that fight proved to be the turning point of that whole series. McCutcheon would have gotten destroyed by Nickerson.[/q]

That was seriously some awesome stuff, I must say. I don't think McCutcheon would get destroyed by Nickerson.. McCutcheon seems like he can hold his own out there against anyone.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: October 31, 2005 03:29AM

Token mention of Nickerson having syphilis and eating babies.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 10:23AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

MSU was clearly a bush league team and you knew they would taunt the fans on the way out. It is really not classy to go over to your fans and salute them, drawing out their gloating and Schafer let them know. He was even pushing and shoving some of the players, really couldn't believe it as I saw it. Again, the crowd mostly stayed and cheered and supported the team. [/Q]

I agree that MSU were a bunch of punks, but saluting their fans is the one thing I don't have a problem with. If you want to show class, do a quick post-handshake salute to the folks who followed you so far, then get off the ice and celebrate on the bus/plane/hotel. What was not cool (not even getting into the crap that went on on the ice/from the bench/to Pegs's face/etc) was taunting the Cornell fans, shooting things into the crowd, etc. And the MSU fans directed a lot of their post-game energy at us rather than celebrating a hard-fought split.

@jtwcornell91@hostux.social

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2007 06:23AM by jtwcornell91.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (206.254.3.---)
Date: November 01, 2005 12:29PM

[Q]Ack Wrote:
I'm fine with the ushers confiscating bottles and keys upon entrance into Lynah.[/q]

Keys? Anyway, the bottles are ShortStop water bottles which are presumably sold at the concession stands.

@jtwcornell91@hostux.social

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 01, 2005 12:59PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Ack Wrote:
I'm fine with the ushers confiscating bottles and keys upon entrance into Lynah.[/Q]
Keys? Anyway, the bottles are ShortStop water bottles which are presumably sold at the concession stands.[/q]

We could do the Minnesota thing and pour bottled liquids into cups at the concession stands.

Not that the cups can't also be used as projectiles...

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2005 01:23PM

Ulgh, that's a slight overuse of plastic, no? Speaking of which, any recycling bins in/around Lynah?

NatRes-er on his way back to Fernow Hall,

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 01, 2005 02:28PM

Well, my three cents:

As for the Pokulok interference... Wait, first of all, let's get this straight:

P - O - K - U - L - O - K

Ari, I'm not correcting it any more in your columns. The rest of you, learn how to spell the players' names.

Anyway, if every play was called vertabim to the rule book, you'd never see 5-on-5 hockey. Every time two players go for a loose puck and so much as lean on each other, that's interference (nee, obstruction interference for college hockey college hockey redundant redundant) on both of them. Neither has possession and each is impeding the other. Since skates were made from sharpened mastodon bones, this hasn't been called. Like Jim said, they had an equal shot of getting to the puck and interfered with each other. Either you call it on both of them, or neither. The convention is neither. If there was an elbow, hook, or trip involved by one of them, then by all means, it should be called. But calling one player for interference is pretty much a crock.

As for the players, I thought Barlow looked good. And I actually thought Seminoff looked pretty good, too. He's going to need a little time to adjust, but if you look past some of his bad habits, he's got the speed and skill to be a good Charlie Cook-like defenseman. Just give him a little time. The rest of the aforementioned cheers apply. As for jeers, Krantz and Bitz looked completely out-to-lunch. OB still appears to be having big brain farts when making some decisions, BUT at least two games in to the season, he's getting the puck on net with his big shots, which he rarely did last year. Now if he just thinks about his passes a bit more, Schafer will make a defenseman out of him yet.

Obviously the second period on Saturday was horrible, but I didn't think much of the first period either. Cornell spent most of it on the power play, and they came out of it with, what, 7 shots? In my opinion they didn't really look good until the third, which was obviously the most telling period of the weekend. The team will be fine, and probably roll most of the ECAC, as long as the key players stay healthy. The only question will be how soft they get from their schedule come the playoffs.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: November 01, 2005 02:47PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

Anyway, if every play was called vertabim to the rule book, you'd never see 5-on-5 hockey. [/q]

The "new" NHL seems to feel ok with that.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: November 01, 2005 03:06PM

Well said, Age. Plus, if you can't adjust your play to the way the officials are calling the game, you don't belong in the game.

Plus, if your team loses a one-goal game and the opposing team scored any[ii] short-handed goals, as far as I'm concerned you've just lost any right to complain about how the officiating determined the outcome.

Spend a few minutes marveling at how rare it is that Cornell loses at home, and get over having been forced to witness it once. It's not likely to be the last time you'll ever see it.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: November 01, 2005 03:14PM

[Q]that's interference (nee, obstruction interference for college hockey college hockey redundant redundant)[/Q]

Hahaha... that cracked me up. You made my day, Age :-D laugh

Posted by: JimHyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2005 03:56PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:Wait, first of all, let's get this straight:

P - O - K - U - L - O - K [/Q]No let's get this straight. I'm not going to correct you any more.:-}[Q]Anyway, if every play was called vertabim(my emphasis) to the rule book, you'd never see 5-on-5 hockey. [/q]Sorry Age, I just couldn't resist. Especially since I'm one of those bad spellers.

Date: November 01, 2005 03:59PM

Oh come on. There's a HUGE difference between misspelling and typos. =P

Posted by: Avash (---.whtmrs01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2005 07:27PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

that's interference (nee, obstruction interference for college hockey college hockey redundant redundant)[/Q]
Hahaha... that cracked me up. You made my day, Age [/q]

"I did not realize there was an HH button. I did not learn my AA BB CCs. God God Damn It Damn It" - Mitch Hedberg (on vending machines and mistakenly hitting the H button twice)

Date: November 01, 2005 08:25PM

Oh right. I knew there was something else. The reason for the fire alarm was some twit smoking in the women's room.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login