Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

MSU 4, Cornell 3 post-game (game 2) thread

Posted by billhoward 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MSU 4, Cornell 3 post-game (game 2) thread
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 09:42PM

First home loss since the Clarkson ECAC fiasco in 2004. Ah, well. Still (marginally) better than last year's 1-1 tie and 2-0 loss at MSU.

A team built around defense shouldn't give up a man-short goal. Though it's going to happen sooner or later. And Cornell (Pegoraro) missed his breakaway.

Cornell is taking too many penalties. Let's hope that improves as the season goes along. Maybe the referees have to make a point early in the season.

Nice job coming back from down 4-1.

Incredible pressure in the last minute on MSU once McKee went to the bench.

Re: MSU 4, Cornell 3 post-game (game 2) thread
Posted by: Cornell95 (---.c3-0.abr-ubr2.sbo-abr.ma.cable.rcn.)
Date: October 29, 2005 09:46PM

If the refs want to make a point they need to eject players who throw punches, even if the gloves dont come off. That fiasco in the 1st that only resulted in a handful of offsetting minors set the rest of the game up... add that to the 2 interference calls on Sasha and it is hard for Cornell to play their game.

Posted by: aznxjz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 09:47PM

Incredible comeback, but the red broke our hearts in the 2nd. Some of those calls by Feola were questionable though.

There was a lot of blood on the ice when Pegoraro got hit.

We have a bunch of chances the last 2 minutes or so, but just couldn't capitalize. 1-1 is not bad. I'll take it...

There was one annoying "fan" in B that started shouting "you're not playing like the big red, you playing like the big sucks, get your act together" What an idiot. There will always be one of those guys.

B was as loud if not louder than last night. Amazing spirit.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (209.2.89.---)
Date: October 29, 2005 09:59PM

WAKE UP CALL! Second period was one of the most pathetic performances I have ever seen by a Cornell team. That fourth goal was completely unacceptable with nobody even trying and McKee letting in maybe the softest goal of his career. Third period was maybe the best period I have seen a Cornell team play in a long. Michigan State only got one shot in the third period. Lerg made a couple amazing saves in the closing minutes and it could easily have been tied.
I have never felt so good after a loss. Every team needs a wakeup call at some point during the season and Cornell got theirs early, which is very good. This is one tough team that will battle hard and they showed that in the third period. Bottom line to me is that they won five of the six periods this weekend.
The students, particularly in A and B, were better this weekend than any weekend I have ever seen them. They stayed for several minutes after the players left the ice and kept cheering for the team. Really really impressive. Obviously there were a few idiots that threw stuff on the ice and embarrassed but in general, the crowd was consistently loud and supportive. Everyone stayed for the third period. Really, an amazing crowd tonight. Best I have ever seen the students.
MSU was clearly a bush league team and you knew they would taunt the fans on the way out. It is really not classy to go over to your fans and salute them, drawing out their gloating and Schafer let them know. He was even pushing and shoving some of the players, really couldn't believe it as I saw it. Again, the crowd mostly stayed and cheered and supported the team.
Krantz and Seminoff were absolutely brutal all weekend. O'Byrne and Pokuluk played extremely well. Glover was fine. Gleed needs to raise his game and lead the defense. I love Mugford. Plays his heart out. Speaking of which, Pegoraro battled all weekend and blocked a ton of shots. Carefoot also had a great weekend but got kicked in the third period and looked to be badly hurt.
3 Stars of the Game for Cornell:
3. Pokuluk
2. Chris Abbott
1. Pegoraro
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2005 10:01PM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: Drew042 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:08PM

A few notes from the game:

*I think that tonight showed the weakness of the Big Red; we have a young defense that is prone to mistakes as well as some older defensemen who should know better. O'Byrne and Pokuluk both were terrible tonight. O'Bryne should know better than to make that pass while on the pp. Seminoff unfortunately is having a tough transition from Juniors. I think that the penalties that he is taking are things that would not necessarily be called in Juniors.
*The refereeing continued to be brutal as several of the calls in the 2nd were phantom calls. The fiasco in the first should have been dealt with properly. I felt like we stopped hitting like we can in the 2nd because we were unsure of how Feola was going to call it. However MSU apears to have been taught how to have penalties called as they continuely milked it when they were hit.
*I think the best players for the red were Moulson, Scott, Abbott x 2, (my wife thinks that Mugford and Barlow also played well (and the best of the Freshman lot); which I agree with). Kindret unfortunately looked lost and often found himself colliding with other players.
*I wish we had shot more, their gaolie was nothing special, if not fat and short. I hope that we get the chance to play them again because I am convinced we would kick their ass.
*Lastly, anybody see who Schafer was going after on the MSU team???? He shoved one player out of the way to get to a second, but I couldn't see the number. I figured it was the goon Nightingale, but I could not see his number in the scrum.

Drew

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:08PM

schafer was upset b/c the michigan state team soluted their fans our goaded ours? i am confused
u know what is crazy and for some reason I thought we had *won* 4-3 and then saw the score on uscho and was confused.
what happened with Pegs that caused some bleeding?

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:11PM

Kindret did not dress. Pegs had to wear his sweater b/c his was covered in blood.

Date: October 29, 2005 10:13PM

[Q]Drew042 Wrote:

A few notes from the game:

*I think that tonight showed the weakness of the Big Red; we have a young defense that is prone to mistakes as well as some older defensemen who should know better. O'Byrne and Pokuluk both were terrible tonight. O'Bryne should know better than to make that pass while on the pp. Seminoff unfortunately is having a tough transition from Juniors. I think that the penalties that he is taking are things that would not necessarily be called in Juniors.
*The refereeing continued to be brutal as several of the calls in the 2nd were phantom calls. The fiasco in the first should have been dealt with properly. I felt like we stopped hitting like we can in the 2nd because we were unsure of how Feola was going to call it. However MSU apears to have been taught how to have penalties called as they continuely milked it when they were hit.
*I think the best players for the red were Moulson, Scott, Abbott x 2, (my wife thinks that Mugford and Barlow also played well (and the best of the Freshman lot); which I agree with). Kindret unfortunately looked lost and often found himself colliding with other players.
*I wish we had shot more, their gaolie was nothing special, if not fat and short. I hope that we get the chance to play them again because I am convinced we would kick their ass.
*Lastly, anybody see who Schafer was going after on the MSU team???? He shoved one player out of the way to get to a second, but I couldn't see the number. I figured it was the goon Nightingale, but I could not see his number in the scrum.

Drew[/q]

The problem with the pass from O'Byrne is that the top unit stayed on the ice way too long. Pokuluk and O'Byrne both played extremely well, IMO. The problems were Seminoff, Gleed, and Krantz. Officiating was an absolute joke and it was the ultimate turning point in the game with the brutal calls of the second period. It always takes defensemen longer to adjust than it does forwards and it was even tougher for Seminoff playing against such a tough team to start out. I think he'll be fine. Their goalie made some spectacular saves late in the third period.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:16PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

Kindret did not dress. Pegs had to wear his sweater b/c his was covered in blood.[/q]

I'm kind of curious to see how that will affect the sale of this particular gameworn jersey. :-D

Posted by: Drew042 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:20PM

Well, I was very confused on the Kindret/Pegs thing. Thanks for clearing that up!!! I will agree that Krantz was terrible, consistently boggled and fumbled with the puck. I guess I just expect Pokuluk and O'Byrne to show more maturity and handle the puck better than they did. They both still have incredible shots from the point and I think they need to utilize them more. I agree that Gleed needs to step up and show the younger ones how it is done; time will only tell if he does (I have my doubts).

Date: October 29, 2005 10:31PM

The second period tonight is perhaps the sloppiest play by Cornell that I have seen since the middle of the 2003-04 season. True, our guys were impeded by the refs calling everything (some legit, some not) against the Red but nothing against the Spartans, but they didn't do themselves any favors at some points as well.

MSU won this game due to Cornell's sloppy play in the second, the refs screwing up horribly, some actual skill and speed (I'll give credit where it's due; these guys did take down NoDak after all), some dirty play (I'll assign blame too), and Jeff Lerg standing on his head at the end of the game despite increasing pressure from the Red. The Spartans will go deep into the postseason if they can keep this up for the rest of the year.

I'll agree with Ari's assessment of the third being one of the best-played periods in a long time as well. My three Cornell stars of the game: 1. Moulson, 2. Chris Abbott, 3. Bitz.

Kudos to the student sections for their energy through most of the game tonight. Some more during the second period might have helped our guys to get back in the game, though the first and third periods were just stupendous.

All in all this weekend, Cornell played five great periods and one horribly lousy period. I hope to never see play that lousy again from players wearing Cornell jerseys.

For those of you on the student side, how did my sign look? We got a few "Bald, bald, bald..." chants going throughout the game, some started by me, some started by the student side. I think it worked well, but I want to make sure my sign was actually clear, in case I want to do more signs in the future.

Date: October 29, 2005 10:34PM

We loved it in the middle of B. We really railed on him last night and that sign just kept getting us going. Sign was perfect and every time me and my buddy's saw it, we started yelling. I went to the game with 7 or 8 friends and most of us are so tired from the game that we're staying in tonight!

Posted by: cajunman (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:41PM

Hell Feola is an idiot just call the game the same both ways that it no more no less it is hard when you have strong, agile players who can take a hit and not look like they are getting killed but when we hit it is a penalty. Hell if they call it like that we are out of game. If the NBA called all of the fouls on Shaq because of his dominance and size he wouldn't last the first quarter Pathaic officating Feola is a (*&^% you fill it in.

Feola sucks like Hansen
Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:43PM

The last time officiating was this bad was two years ago in a game against dirty Colgate. Referee Hansen really got to me and I just wanted to kick his ass (Does anybody else remember this game?). I don't even want to go into details about it. But tonight, from 2nd period on, Feola definitely won the game for Michigan State.

I am even more disappointed that our crowd threw bottles onto the rink. What did that accomplish? Please remind our friends not to act like we're a low class state school.

((Haha! And I couldn't believe that one of their players tried to launch the bottle back into section B with a slap shot. We really got into their heads. Good job guys.))

Posted by: MB (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:47PM

I must say that the sign was friggin awesome, and whenever we saw it, we started chanting. Keep it up! You're at a perfect spot for the students to see you.

Re: Feola sucks like Hansen
Date: October 29, 2005 10:49PM

Feola changed the whole complection of the game I think we were on penalty kill for most of the second period I would have to say that Feola really controled the tempo to the advantage of MSU and was just unreal in the bais of calls made between Feola, Dell and Hanson I would say ECAC has some of the worst refs in the lower 48 The tape should be reviewed by the ECAC board and used as an example of improper calling hell he couldn't call a peewee game what and a s s.

Date: October 29, 2005 10:50PM

What amazed me most were the two interference calls on Pokuluk. I always though interference is hitting away from the puck. The two plays were identical, with the puck a foot away. He was playing defense. MSU tied the game on the ensuing poewrplay of the second idiotic call.

Posted by: DR@CU (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 11:02PM

Just a few thoughts:

1) The "bald" sign was awesome Will! Very clear from the entire student section. It definately got us into it. Keep it up!

2) I'll admit I do not actually know what the offical rule on interference is and if they are going to be calling it 10 times a game I figure I might as well educate myself. Anyone care to enlighten me?

3) Otherwise, with the exception of tonight's 2nd period, a great weekend and hopefully a character-building loss that the team can learn from. Looking forward to the rest of the season!

Date: October 29, 2005 11:08PM

Dell sucks but at least he is fair. Dell is like Murphy, when he sucks, he sucks equally for both teams and he sucks in every rink. At least there's consistency there. Hansen and Feola are just terrible at life. Hansen intentionally makes really harsh calls against Cornell to try to demonstrate the ECAC league that he is not afraid of the Lynah crowd. Feola was just born without peripheral vision. I think he probably fixed the game tonight for sports betting purposes.

Posted by: Cajunman (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)

There is a difference between taking penalties and actually just having them called against us we did take to many penaltys we just were called for to many penalties that didn't occur what game were you watching.

The short handed goal will happen from time to time I don't like them either.

As far as pegs miss on the break away maybe the diviated septum in his freakin nose which can cause poor vision played a factor.

Feola called the game way lopsided it was a disgrace to call a second period so one sided when both time were hitting the same it is ashame that we are so physical and the weak teams take dives etc. pathetic

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)

[Q]Will Wrote:

I want to make sure my sign was actually clear, in case I want to do more signs in the future.[/q]

It was clear on the video webcast.

Date: October 29, 2005 11:10PM

so true Dell sucks both ways LOL but Feola should be shot, I would have my players aim for his head or accidentally board him.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 11:17PM

The view from 7000 miles away is "you'll have this."

It's early in the season, which is when referees and leagues try to enforce rules to make a statement, and it seems to me that's what Feola was doing. An incorrect statement and a statement that got players injured, but a statement nonetheless. I hope the league does review the game, especially considering the injuries that occurred in the third. Hopefully Carefoot is not badly injured and can play next week.

I'm not worried about 1 loss. It's a long season, and there will be occasional bad referees. It's a shame it had to come so early in the season and in such a critical game, but you deal with it. It's up to Schafer to teach the team how to use the rules to their advantage, and you know he'll do that.

Yes, it's a disappointment. For those of you who wanted to see Cornell as #1 in the polls, I hope you're not too upset. :-P But from what I can see, we've got a team that's competitive nationally, and will go places in March (and hopefully April).

I'm actually more upset with the behavior of the fans at the end of the game. Throwing stuff on the ice is never appropriate. It makes the school and the team look bad. That shit has to stop.

And hopefully the team will move on and hammer Yale and Brown next weekend.

Let's go red!!!

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 11:33PM

Ari, I think you are wrong about MSU saluting their fans. Those folks had a long trip to support their team and deserved the salute.

pegs showed his heart when he came back in the third... wow... makes me proud to wear his jersey to every game...

Posted by: JimHyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 11:39PM

[Q]Dpperk29 Wrote: Ari, I think you are wrong about MSU saluting their fans. Those folks had a long trip to support their team and deserved the salute. [/q]No, in an away rink you salute as you are skating off. Trying to circle and salute as you do at home is bush.

Posted by: Jimmy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 11:42PM

I actually thought it was a pretty good weekend. Great atmosphere, and Cornell really outplayed MSU for most of the weekend. The second period was the worst hockey I've seen the team play in my 3 years here, and I'm sure Schafer's gonna clean that up. I'm way down in section E because of the stupid ticket distribution this year (section B the last two years) and I can't stand some of the fans there, which is the only negative of the weekend, other than the loss. Anyway, I brought that up because I couldn't see MSU's 4th goal. From what I did see, it looked like MSU won the draw and took a quick shot that McKee just flat out missed. It looked pretty soft to me. Did I miss anyest screens or deflections?

However, based on the way the team played in their first 2 games of the season against the best team they'll play all year, I thought it was a positive. The team is going to gel, and get better as the year goes on, and barring any major injuries (hopefully Carefoot isn't too badly banged up) this team has a chance to be better than last year's. Defense has to get better, and McKee has to regain his form from the end of last year, but the offense was very good against a top 10 hockey team. Moulson is a monster.

And one last observation...instead of chanting McKee's name after a great save, how about we start chanting ho-bey ba-ker??? Just a thought

Date: October 29, 2005 11:43PM

[Q]Dpperk29 Wrote:

Ari, I think you are wrong about MSU saluting their fans. Those folks had a long trip to support their team and deserved the salute.

pegs showed his heart when he came back in the third... wow... makes me proud to wear his jersey to every game...[/q]

Again, just refer to what Cornell does every time they are on the road. They have twice as many fans as MSU had and they raise their sticks as they leave the ice. Just get off the ice and thank them on the way off. You're on the road, and there is no reason to do that. Just classless. If it was an okay act, then why doesn't Cornell every do it? Again, it's classless. Should also be noted that along with the idiot Cornell fans who threw stuff on the ice, a lot of MSU fans did as well.

Date: October 29, 2005 11:46PM

just because cornell doesn't does something one way, doesn't mean that is the right way. I am a devoted member of the church of lynah... but what MSU did wasn't a big deal.

Date: October 29, 2005 11:50PM

[Q]Dpperk29 Wrote: just because cornell doesn't does something one way, doesn't mean that is the right way. I am a devoted member of the church of lynah... but what MSU did wasn't a big deal.[/q]Well, I guess many of us, including Coach it seems, disagree with you.

Date: October 29, 2005 11:52PM

[Q]"Cornell is a very physical team. They certainly couldn't play in our league because they would get called for too many penalties. Cornell plays a tough, physical game and tonight, our guys battled to match the intensity. This is a big win for us." [/Q] Quoted from the MSU site[msuspartans.collegesports.com]

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 11:55PM

fair enough, their fans made a long trip and deserved a salute. but you do it as you leave the ice. if you've been around hockey long enough, you know their intention was not to really salute their fans as much as it was to get the collective Big Red hackles up. when the opposing coach (in this case coach Schafer) has to help get you off the ice, you're over the line. end of story.

MSU is a good team but they are bush league in a major way. glad to see them go back to the super bush CCHA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2005 11:56PM by ben03.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: October 29, 2005 11:56PM

Will, the "BALD" sign was awesome. We even got a clear shot of it on the webcast.

Date: October 29, 2005 11:57PM

ok... the quick tap of the sticks and salute is what I am saying was ok... the lingering around at the door was total bullshit...

Date: October 30, 2005 12:05AM

Even Clarkson did it as they left the ice after they won a freakin' playoff series.

Date: October 30, 2005 12:06AM

MSU reminded me a lot of the bush league Western Michigan team that was here two years ago.

Date: October 30, 2005 12:17AM

Well, we didnt help our image with throwing stuff on the ice. We cant talk about how we get in opponent's heads and then get upset when the other team throws stuff back at us. Yeah, it's a little immature (seeing as how they did lose the previous night), but we have to be tough but not immature too.

Posted by: Pace (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 12:40AM

Heartbreaking loss tonight. I do agree that it's not THAT big a deal in the long run. But, as many have said, for 5 out of 6 periods we outplayed MSU this weekend, so it's heartbreaking to come out with only one win.

It's been said over and over, the 2nd period was an absolute disaster. Sure, part of the fault lies with Feola, but to be fair, I think he was a little too harsh on MSU in the 1st. Feola or not, we cannot allow something like today's 2nd to happen. Ever. It has been 25 straight games since we allowed more than 2 goals. I'm hard pressed to blame McKee too much. For the 4th goal, yes. That was a total softy. But for the rest of them, the team failed him.

At the end of tonight, the feeling was more bittersweet though. The 2nd period was terrible, but I was delighted, nay, encouraged to see how we rallied in the 3rd. Like Ari said, a wake-up call was needed, it was brutally served, and we managed to play on really well in the 3rd. Coach really must yell "the right stuff".

Finally, I have to disagree with pretty much everyone (save one or two) who posted thus far. I really like Pokulok, but this weekend he played terribly. He was just plain clumsy. I must've counted at least a dozen times this weekend when he'd be skating with the puck, loose it, have to spin around himself to get it. And all this with no interference from anyone. He also missed a great deal of easy passes made to him. The only thing that was still on was his shot. Otherwise an awkward, awkward weekend for him.

Date: October 30, 2005 12:44AM

Well, if we know one thing about Schafer, it's that any shortcomings that contributed to the 2nd period will be dealt with and dealt with thoroughly.

Posted by: Steve Rockey (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 12:45AM

I hate to tell you guys but the ref was right onthe mark with most of his calls. The officiating was good and even handed. The worse call was the major when Pegoraro was hurt. None of the officials saw it but when the finally realized Pegoararo was hurt they made a call after the fact. It is amazing they got the right guy. It should have been called but no arm went up when it happpened -- like I say they did not see it. Calling a penalty on something you did not see if questionalble at best.

In the first period MSU took a lot of penaltied and we failed to capitalize. In the second period we took a lot of penalties.

Pokulok was indeed interferring when he got called for it. Both were brutal and obvious interference. I had a good look at both of them and could have called them before his arm went up. Pokulok should know better.

Steve

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 01:07AM

[Q]JimHyla Wrote:

"Cornell is a very physical team. They certainly couldn't play in our league because they would get called for too many penalties. Cornell plays a tough, physical game and tonight, our guys battled to match the intensity. This is a big win for us." [/Q]
Quoted from the MSU site[/q]

F you, Comley. Your boys had more PIMs than we did this weekend. But I guess when your guys get chippy, it's called "intensity."

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 30, 2005 01:08AM

I was not a fan of throwing the bottles at the end, but if those idiots had brains they'd throw them at Feola. That would be fine by me. I have never seen Schaffer that upset at a referee before. Feola does suck at life, and he did throw the game (though i'm positive it was by accident. Sure, some of our penalties were actually penalties, and MSU did receive some bad calls too, but that is no excuse. With ~25 sec left and one of our players hauled down in their end, that effectively was the end of the game since the puck was cleared out of the zone. Total bullshit.

ok...i'm done.

Date: October 30, 2005 01:09AM

[Q]Steve Rockey Wrote:

I hate to tell you guys but the ref was right onthe mark with most of his calls. The officiating was good and even handed. The worse call was the major when Pegoraro was hurt. None of the officials saw it but when the finally realized Pegoararo was hurt they made a call after the fact. It is amazing they got the right guy. It should have been called but no arm went up when it happpened -- like I say they did not see it. Calling a penalty on something you did not see if questionalble at best.

In the first period MSU took a lot of penaltied and we failed to capitalize. In the second period we took a lot of penalties.

Pokulok was indeed interferring when he got called for it. Both were brutal and obvious interference. I had a good look at both of them and could have called them before his arm went up. Pokulok should know better.

Steve[/q]

Learn the rule buddy. The puck was right there. He was playing defense.

Date: October 30, 2005 01:13AM

[Q]canuck89 Wrote:

I was not a fan of throwing the bottles at the end, but if those idiots had brains they'd throw them at Feola. That would be fine by me. I have never seen Schaffer that upset at a referee before. Feola does suck at life, and he did throw the game (though i'm positive it was by accident. Sure, some of our penalties were actually penalties, and MSU did receive some bad calls too, but that is no excuse. With ~25 sec left and one of our players hauled down in their end, that effectively was the end of the game since the puck was cleared out of the zone. Total bullshit.

ok...i'm done.[/q]

That's a good call. Forgot about that one. THAT was interference considering the puck wasn't close to him when he was taken down and it then came out of the zone. Absolutely brutal officiating tonight.

Posted by: Steve Rockeu (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 01:16AM

Calgalri,

You are a nice kid and have a good insight to the game much of the time.

However, it is not that the puck is right there. If you hit the opposing player before he has played the puck it is interference. Long ago the rule on interference in lacrosse was much as you describe but I have not keep up with the lacrosse rules.

If I am wrong I will trust someone who has the rule book to type in the relevant passage.

Take it easy,
Steve

Date: October 30, 2005 01:19AM

[Q]Steve Rockeu Wrote:

Calgalri,

However, it is not that the puck is right there. If you hit the opposing player before he has played the puck it is interference. Long ago the rule on interference in lacrosse was much as you describe but I have not keep up with the lacrosse rules.

If I am wrong I will trust someone who has the rule book to type in the relevant passage.

Take it easy,
Steve[/q]

In both instances, the player was playing the puck and Pokuluk was playing the body. When two players are skating for a loose puck, the two make contact all the time. It happened a million times tonight. Both guys leaned into one another like every other time but Pokuluk is much bigger and the other guy fell. In the NHL, that is now a penalty for some reason. Not in college. All I want is consistentcy. Saying that Feola did a good job tonight or this weekend is a far way off because he was not at all consistent. Feola wouldn't have called Pokuluk the second time if Cornell was not leading.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2005 01:26AM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 01:24AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Steve Rockeu Wrote:

Calgalri,

Take it easy,
Steve[/Q]
In both instances, the player was playing the puck and Pokuluk was playing the body. When two players are skating for a loose puck, the two make contact all the time. That is hockey and how it should be played. Both guys leaned into one another but Pokuluk is much bigger so the other guy fell. In the NHL, that is now a penalty for some reason. Not in college.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10/30/05 01:22AM by calgARI '07.[/q]

I think the first one was a pretty clear interference b/c he basically leveled the guy with his shoulder when they both had an equal opportunity to get to the puck. I don't really recall the second one however. I think the rule change in the NHL is that once a player is no longer playing the puck, you can not engage him in a hit unless you were already engaging him before he lost the puck. I'm pretty sure you are allowed to play the body as someone has the puck.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 30, 2005 01:29AM

eh, he's bald. If he wants to feel better by saying shit like that, it's okay. In the ECAC hockey is played how it's supposed to be played (I won't even get into the debate about NHL vs. Olympics -sized ice surfaces), and if MSU wants to cry about getting a few bruises, let them. The whole NCAA knows that hockey's a physical sport and they'll just embarass themselves by complaining. Besides, the coach has got bigger problems now that the Rogaine didn't work on his shiny head.

Posted by: cufan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 01:03AM

Those were definitely penalties on Pokuluk. The Michigan State player did not have possession of the puck and Pokuluk hit him. Pokuluk should have known better and played the puck not the man. As soon as he did it, I knew it was a penalty. That is just bad defense on Pokuluk's part.

Straight from the rule book:

"In all of the areas above, we feel that a player who, through the use of physical skill and/or anticipation, has a positional advantage on an opponent, shall not lose that advantage through the illegal use of hands, arms, or stick. Any player in pursuit of a puck or open lane shall not lose a perceived positional advantage by the illegal use of hands, arms, or stick by an opponent. If a player is deprived of that advantage by an illegal act (i.e., hook, hold, interference, etc.), the appropriate penalty must be called."

Listen, it was the team's first weekend of games, and all in all the played well. Yes, the 2nd period was a total mental lapse, but it happens, especially this early in the season. Remember, last year we came out of Michigan State with a tie and loss. We fared better this year with a win and a loss. True, Michigan State is a dirty bush league team and it is tough to play your game when shots at your players and especially goalie are going unnoticed by the ref, but we have to be able to play above that and not let it get into our heads.

I think that our defense really missed Cook and Downs last night. Pokuluk and O'Byrne logged a lot of time and were good, but not great. Seminoff was just awful the entire weekend and Krantz seemed to have lost his speed, stick-handling ability, and booming shot over the summer. Gleed was mediocre, however, he injured his hand or wrist in the third period - I saw him shaking his hand in obvious pain on the bench. Glover played solid defense as usual, and was surprisingly good on the break-outs.

In goal, McKee had an off-weekend, hopefully, it is just that he is rusty, but don't be surprised if sits like USCHO and INCH start to break out the "overrated" argument again. Frankly, McKee gave up too many rebounds Friday night, although none of the goals were is fault. On Saturday night, the defense hung him out to dry on the first goal, I think he should have challenged his man more on the break away goal. No chance on the third goal and a very soft fourth goal (that ended up being the difference).

Offensively, Moulson, Scott, and Bitz were great on the powerplay together. Our second powerplay line was non-existent. I question the use of 4 forwards on that PP line. I think that Gleed should be used instead. Plus, I think the Abbott twins will fair well on the PP. Carefoot was one of our best forwards all weekend long, I really hope that his injury is just a sprain, but I fear worse. McCutcheon had a great weekend as well, he makes better decisions, and I am sure that he will notch his first goal soon. Barlow tries to do too much out there and gets knocked off the puck easily, he has to make things more simple. Kennedy did not get many shifts and seems a little tentative. Our freshman have a lot more to learn. As usual, Pegs and the Abbotts were awesome. Sawada needs to step up and fill the void that Hynes left - he seems out of place on that first line. I feel that we do not have the depth at forward like we did last year. Iggy, Knoepfl, and Varteressian were all solid defensively and chipped in offensively. We had two great PP lines, and four lines that we could role. Hopefully, Kindret can get in the lineup next weekend.

LGR!

Date: October 30, 2005 01:10AM

Who really cares at this point, but my point all along has been that the two leaned into eachother as happens on most races for the puck and thus no penalty should be called. Considering it happened dozens of times in both games and was called only a couple times is what pisses me off the most. Just inconsistent.

Posted by: proof of concept (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 30, 2005 01:11AM

He seemed to deal with them pretty effectively during the intermission. I don't know what he said in the locker room, but whatever it was it worked, because they came to play and then some the third period. Hopefully the embarrassment resulting from the 2nd period sticks with them the whole season such that they never lose sight of the fact that they are on the ice playing a game again.

Date: October 30, 2005 01:14AM

[Q]cufan Wrote:

but don't be surprised if sits like USCHO and INCH start to break out the "overrated" argument again.
[/q]

They better now, since they're the only ones that were rating us this high; most of us here realized while we were a good team #2 was a little bit much.

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 30, 2005 01:15AM

I thought this game came down to a game of STs. I think O'Byrnes pass for the Shorthanded Breakways did turn the tide in the second period, but overall O'Byrne did not have that bad of series. Krantz in the third period showed that he showed not be the defensemen carrying the puck across the red line. Also in the third period, our team tried to skate tha puck into the MSU zone a lot against 3-4 defenders. This has got to stop and realize that dumping it in a letting our bigger physical players come up with the puck. MSU was a very chippy team and seemed like they tried to get into fights with our players. The officiating was a little lopsided this game, but most of our penalties could have justification, except Abbotts penalty. I was close to where Abbotts penalty occured and Abbott had two hands on his sticked and poked away the puck from the defender yet he was somehow called for holding. This eventually led to a MSU PP goal which I was very pissed at. When Pegs got hurt I think the linesmen saw it and called the penalty. The linesmen in general made a lot of MSU penalty calls.

Overall I am not as optimistic as Ari is, I think the defense has to definitely get better and we have to learn to make crisper passes and faster decisions in games to be one of the top teams in the country. Some of my friends don't think the freshmen did that well this weekend, but I think they did just fine except Seminoff which seems to use his stick to much, maybe he got away with this in Juniors but definitily not in college hockey. I think this team has a lot of room to improve and if they do this we are a top 3 team in the country. In the second period, I also think we got away from our physical play, partially because of all the penalties, but it reminded me of what Schaffer said with out the physical play we are an average team. I am looking forward to see the top line against other teams, because I think Sawada and Bitz can create a havok in the corners for other teams, which should lead to Moulson getting even more goals then last year. If you don't agree with anythings I said I will definitely provide more information if you want, any ways going into this series I was expecting a split, but after seeing the games I think that we should of gotten at least 3 points out of this weekend. Every team has to lose, and I dont expect to see this team doing that much, since we don't have extremely stellar competition OOC except MSU. Hopefully the rest of the ECAC can keep their winning ways up, so our conference can have good RPIs and PairWise rankings.

Date: October 30, 2005 01:55AM

Alright, so now i'm a bit calmer and more composed... I will admit that most of the calls against us tonight were legit. But i am still tremendously pissed off that MSU got away with worst things than what our guys did. Feola was an incompetent anti-christ idiot whose fault costed us that game.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 02:05AM

[Q]Oat Wrote:

Alright, so now i'm a bit calmer and more composed... I will admit that most of the calls against us tonight were legit. But i am still tremendously pissed off that MSU got away with worst things than what our guys did. Feola was an incompetent anti-christ idiot whose fault costed us that game.[/q]

Wow...that's more composed?!?

I only was able to catch the 3rd period online. I'm proud of our guys' performance in the 3rd. I noted some great chances generated by Pegoraro, Sawada, Krantz, and Bitz/Moulson to try to get the tying goal. Maybe the 2nd will teach the team (especially the young guys) that they need to work every period all year long.

Some of us older fans are thrilled that they were able to score so quickly to make it a game.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (128.253.190.---)
Date: October 30, 2005 02:52AM

what anoyed me about MSU was that they acted as if they had swept. They faught back tonight and acheived a draw, that's it, nothing more.

Date: October 30, 2005 03:07AM

I guess I wasn't really composed there.. nut Sorry guys.. :-P

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 03:22AM

I personally thought some of our players looked a bit off tonight.

I thought Sawada and Bitz weren't that great. The second line (Pegs, Scott, Abbott, I believe?) looked best overall, though Moulson was good as usual. Sawada was solid defensively, but Bitz was losing control of the puck more often than I'd like. I'm not huge on hockey knowledge, so I could be completely wrong here, but I wonder if our top line should have someone who could help set up Moulson better (Pegoraro maybe?) Shame we don't still have Hynes for both size and passing/puckhandling ability.

Our defensemen looked spotty, Pokulok made great plays and bad ones. O'byrne had a surprisingly quiet night, he's usually always doing something (even if it is sometimes a dumb play in front of our goal). Krantz was off a bit, Gleed was solid. As to the freshmen, Barlow looked pretty good, in my opinion. A bit too agressive trying to advance the puck, but he had good energy.

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 03:29AM

Easy on section E - there are some gamers in there...or so I hear.

I'm fine with the ushers confiscating bottles and keys upon entrance into Lynah.

Date: October 30, 2005 03:37AM

Hopefully no more fire alarms.

Date: October 30, 2005 03:40AM

Looking back at the game, Bitz had an assist and Sawada had a goal, so I guess they didn't really have that bad a game. Sawada I just didn't notice much, which I usually consider a bad thing. Bitz seemed to be losing the puck an awful lot. Oh, almost forgot, the refs sucked.

Was it just me, or were the Section O Sucks chants overdone? Don't get me wrong, section O does suck, and needs to be reminded of it often. But I almost felt like we lost focus on the players halfway through the game.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 03:58AM

I think it's great that we have such high expectations for this team. After all, usually we go into the first weekend of the season thinking "I hope we don't look too bad. Team XYZ's played several games already." We had a legitimate shot at winning both, which at this point in the season, is worth something.

And consider this: None of the top 10 teams is undefeated at this point. At least our loss is to another top 10 team. Can you say that much for Ohio State (two losses to Western)? Or Michigan (a loss to Fairbanks)? Or Minnesota (losses to Fairbanks and St.Cloud)? Michigan State is a damn good team,certainly underrated, and whether we like this loss or not, these games will definitely help our RPI.

So don't get down on the team. Given time, this team will come together and be the team we expect.

I've said it before. I'll say it again. In Schafer we trust.

Post Game cheer
Date: October 30, 2005 05:05AM

No one was there to lead us today after time expired (or maybe someone did? and I missed it?)
If we can't do "Which team is the winning team..." the cheer should be:

Which school is an ivy league?
(This school is an ivy league) -->

Which school is a safety school?
<-- (This school is a safety school)

(ivy league) -->

<-- (safety school)

We used to do this chant quite often two years ago when our team couldn't win (basically whenever vesce line failed to produce)

This only works if we're playing dirty state schools. So we better not lose to ivy teams.

Posted by: CKinsland (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 07:42AM

[Q]proof of concept Wrote:

He seemed to deal with them pretty effectively during the intermission. I don't know what he said in the locker room, but whatever it was it worked, because they came to play and then some the third period. Hopefully the embarrassment resulting from the 2nd period sticks with them the whole season such that they never lose sight of the fact that they are on the ice playing a game again.[/q]

Perhaps it was the smoke pouring out of his ears or the heat of his anger that set the fire alarm off in the second intermission? :-P

I'll second the opinion that a loss early in the season to a highly ranked team isn't so devastating and will probably serve the team well in terms of motivation. That second period proved that, though they are good, they can't relax and quit playing or other teams will capitalize (and big). Of course, I would have preferred to come back in the third and win (much the same lesson would have been learned by the team...perhaps without the same burr-under-the-blanket longevity).

CK

Posted by: Cisco (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 09:24AM

About interference, I think Pokuluk was correctly called, though the issue is much more one of discretion.

[Q]In both instances, the player was playing the puck and Pokuluk was playing the body. When two players are skating for a loose puck, the two make contact all the time. It happened a million times tonight. Both guys leaned into one another like every other time but Pokuluk is much bigger and the other guy fell.[/Q]

Umm, with all due respect, that's not what happened on either call. The MSU player and Pokuluk were going towards the puck, and Pokuluk played the body before either got to the puck. By definition, the MSU guy did not have possession of the puck

Here is the actual rule on interference (earlier there was an interpritation quoted)
[Q]Interference
SECTION 29. a. A player shall not interfere with or impede the progress of
an opponent who is not in possession of the puck, or deliberately knock a
stick out of an opponent’s hand, or prevent a player who has dropped the
stick, or any other piece of equipment from regaining possession of it or
knock or shoot any abandoned or broken stick or illegal puck or other
debris toward an opposing puck carrier in a manner that could cause the
player to be distracted.
Waving of arms in front of a goalkeeper by an opponent is interference.
PENALTY—Minor.
Note: The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered
the player in possession. In interpreting this rule, a referee should make sure
which of the players is the one creating the interference—often it is the action and
movement of the attacking player that causes the interference since the defending
players are entitled to stand their ground or shadow the attacking players. Players
of the team in possession shall not be allowed to run interference for the puck carrier.[/Q] Should you want to enlighten yourself further, here is the rule book. [www.ncaa.org]

Now, the key part of interference is puck possession. You do not have possession, at minimum, until you have touched the puck.

What Ari is complaining about is the fact that two players often are jostling for position, or run into each other as they come to a puck along the boards. However, to get away with this, which may often be, by the rules, interference, you need to appear that you are playing the puck.

Pokuluk, as much as I love him as a player, just played the body, plain and simple. The MSU player never really got to touch the puck, b/c Pokuluk had flatened that little wus. That makes it look especially bad for Pokuluk when Pokuluk doesn't go for the puck and his physical interference causes the other player to never get to the puck.

Cisco

Date: October 30, 2005 09:41AM

[Q]cufan Wrote: Those were definitely penalties on Pokuluk. The Michigan State player did not have possession of the puck and Pokuluk hit him. Pokuluk should have known better and played the puck not the man. As soon as he did it, I knew it was a penalty. That is just bad defense on Pokuluk's part.

Straight from the rule book:

"In all of the areas above, we feel that a player who, through the use of physical skill and/or anticipation, has a positional advantage on an opponent, shall not lose that advantage through the illegal use of hands, arms, or stick. Any player in pursuit of a puck or open lane shall not lose a perceived positional advantage by the illegal use of hands, arms, or stick by an opponent. If a player is deprived of that advantage by an illegal act (i.e., hook, hold, interference, etc.), the appropriate penalty must be called."[/q]Rules are to be interpreted. That's why we have courts and in sports, officials. If you watch hockey you will see two players fighting, jostling to get to the puck first. In the first penalty Pokuluk leveled the guy as they were going for it. If that's what they will call interference, well every puck along the board will be interference. Two players fight along the boards, a third goes in and an opposing player follows. Neither of those last two had puck possession.

The way I remember it used to be interpreted, with some justification from a reading of the rules, [Q]Any player in pursuit of a puck or open lane shall not lose a perceived positional advantage by the illegal use of...[/Q]was that if two players had equal access to the puck it was not interference. Interference was from a player who was in an inferior position interfering with the one in the superior position.

I'll state, with no ability to be proven wrong, that if the MSU player was not knocked down so easily, but just bumped away, no penalty would have been called. However the end result on puck control would have been the same.

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 09:44AM

[Q]TCHL8842 Wrote:

I thought this game came down to a game of STs. I think O'Byrnes pass for the Shorthanded Breakways did turn the tide in the second period, but overall O'Byrne did not have that bad of series. Krantz in the third period showed that he showed not be the defensemen carrying the puck across the red line. Also in the third period, our team tried to skate tha puck into the MSU zone a lot against 3-4 defenders. This has got to stop and realize that dumping it in a letting our bigger physical players come up with the puck. MSU was a very chippy team and seemed like they tried to get into fights with our players. The officiating was a little lopsided this game, but most of our penalties could have justification, except Abbotts penalty. I was close to where Abbotts penalty occured and Abbott had two hands on his sticked and poked away the puck from the defender yet he was somehow called for holding. This eventually led to a MSU PP goal which I was very pissed at. When Pegs got hurt I think the linesmen saw it and called the penalty. The linesmen in general made a lot of MSU penalty calls.

Overall I am not as optimistic as Ari is, I think the defense has to definitely get better and we have to learn to make crisper passes and faster decisions in games to be one of the top teams in the country. Some of my friends don't think the freshmen did that well this weekend, but I think they did just fine except Seminoff which seems to use his stick to much, maybe he got away with this in Juniors but definitily not in college hockey. I think this team has a lot of room to improve and if they do this we are a top 3 team in the country. In the second period, I also think we got away from our physical play, partially because of all the penalties, but it reminded me of what Schaffer said with out the physical play we are an average team. I am looking forward to see the top line against other teams, because I think Sawada and Bitz can create a havok in the corners for other teams, which should lead to Moulson getting even more goals then last year. If you don't agree with anythings I said I will definitely provide more information if you want, any ways going into this series I was expecting a split, but after seeing the games I think that we should of gotten at least 3 points out of this weekend. Every team has to lose, and I dont expect to see this team doing that much, since we don't have extremely stellar competition OOC except MSU. Hopefully the rest of the ECAC can keep their winning ways up, so our conference can have good RPIs and PairWise rankings.[/q]

Your view of the Abbott penalty is incorrect, I sit in section k and you could see Abbott reach out and grab him and if you want further proof that it was a penalty you can ask Abbott's father who sat next to us and said it was definitely a penalty on his son.

Re: Post Game cheer
Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 11:16AM

[Q]Oat Wrote:

No one was there to lead us today after time expired (or maybe someone did? and I missed it?)

(ivy league) -->

<-- (safety school)

We used to do this chant quite often two years ago when our team couldn't win (basically whenever vesce line failed to produce)

This only works if we're playing dirty state schools. So we better not lose to ivy teams.

[/q]

wow, i remember the shitstorm that ensued over this little cheer...

Posted by: ugarte (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 11:17AM

[Q]Ack Wrote:I'm fine with the ushers confiscating bottles and keys upon entrance into Lynah.[/q]Keys? How about ID? Pants?

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 30, 2005 11:36AM

The Second period collapse was really a result of our guys not skating, taking too many stupid penalties, and not being physical. With all that being said I think McKee allowed a really weak goal, and MSUs first goal could have been prevented by better defense. I am hoping that this second period collapse teachs our team that you have to play 60 minutes of hockey to win a game. This weekend in general minus the second period, we played even or outplayed a MSU team that supposedly outplayed both Michigan and North Dakota. If our team can play at this level and iron out the early season mistakes, I think we have a good shot at winning against any team in the country. But if the mistakes still occur I think we will be only an average team, better then two years ago but worse then last year.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.117.38.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 11:45AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

What amazed me most were the two interference calls on Pokuluk. I always though interference is hitting away from the puck. The two plays were identical, with the puck a foot away. He was playing defense. MSU tied the game on the ensuing poewrplay of the second idiotic call.[/q]

On the webcast, they caught a pretty good angle on the first call. The shot was from the D/E corner. To me it looked like Sasha threw a pretty good elbow on the puck carrier and when I heard the whistle I figured that was the call. "Interference" seems like the catch-all lazy man's penalty. See something you don't like? Call it interference... or mix it up and call it "obstruction-interference." Who cares if he has the puck, right? rolleyes

I don't think the webcast caught the other interference call.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.117.38.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 11:59AM

[Q]Oat Wrote:

(ivy league) -->

<-- (safety school)

[/q]

Anyone else find it ironic that this "cheer" isn't even in remotely proper english? "Which school is an ivy league?" Come on now... one school a league does not make.

I don't think you need to go looking to fill the void of "winning team" when the team doesn't win. I don't think the band should come up with a song besides "Schafer" to play after losses. I think there are nice traditions that go along with winning and I think that the absence of such traditions after a loss is important.

Date: October 30, 2005 12:11PM

I believe that was the penalty where the MSU player went flying after he and Pokoluk collided, or whatever we call it. Wasn't that the play where the announcers said it wasn't really "interference" so much as "Pokoluk being big"? Aptly put.

Date: October 30, 2005 12:15PM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

Oat Wrote:

(ivy league) -->

<-- (safety school)

[/Q]
Anyone else find it ironic that this "cheer" isn't even in remotely proper english? "Which school is an ivy league?" Come on now... one school a league does not make.

I don't think you need to go looking to fill the void of "winning team" when the team doesn't win. I don't think the band should come up with a song besides "Schafer" to play after losses. I think there are nice traditions that go along with winning and I think that the absence of such traditions after a loss is important.[/q]

I think keeping an arrow like this in the quiver could come in handy in case we run into another team as classless as MSU. Reminding them that they are a safety school may be a low blow, but I certainly find it preferable to watching people launch whatever projectiles are at hand onto the ice. What's furthermore, in the case of a team that is intentionally trying to rile the crowd, having the crowd unify in a cheer certainly makes a stronger statement than the scattered lashing out of a few irresponsible individuals.

That being said, if the other team acts respectfully, then maybe we can consider letting them leave the ice in peace.

Date: October 30, 2005 12:25PM

Penn's basketball fans had one of the all-time best cheers when they made it to the NCAA Final Four and get blown apart by Magic Johnson's Spartans. This may not have been the first usage, but I believe it was at the time the most publicized usage of the chant,

That's all right / That's okay / You're gonna work / For us someday.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 12:38PM

[Q]Dpperk29 Wrote:

ok... the quick tap of the sticks and salute is what I am saying was ok... the lingering around at the door was total bullshit...[/q]

Absolutely...there was only one intention, to insult Cornell fans. Based on the goonish way MSU played the game, I can't say I'm surprised by their behavior. It was a very emotional game and sometimes those feelings get the best of kids. I was most disappointed in the way ECAC officials and MSU coaches ignored the situation.

I think the only time that behavior may be acceptable is after a loss. If a team wants to skate to the corner and briefly salute their fans after a loss on the road, who cares. When a team wins on the road, however, tap and raise when leaving the ice.

Date: October 30, 2005 12:51PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Penn's basketball fans had one of the all-time best cheers when they made it to the NCAA Final Four and get blown apart by Magic Johnson's Spartans. This may not have been the first usage, but I believe it was at the time the most publicized usage of the chant,

That's all right / That's okay / You're gonna work / For us someday.

[/q]

That's used by the fans of a lot of schools that are considered to be on a higher academic tier (see: Rice football fans, among others).

Also, while not in any sort of a formal cheer format, I did hear someone in D or E yelling something to that effect.

If you want to be particularly derogitory, there was the cheer that erupted in the stands at the Cornell/Ithaca College club game during the line last year: "Flip My Burger (clap clap clapclapclap)." There were a lot of IC kids at the game (for a club game) and they were not happy about that one.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 30, 2005 12:51PM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:

What amazed me most were the two interference calls on Pokuluk. I always though interference is hitting away from the puck. The two plays were identical, with the puck a foot away. He was playing defense. MSU tied the game on the ensuing poewrplay of the second idiotic call.[/Q]
On the webcast, they caught a pretty good angle on the first call. The shot was from the D/E corner. To me it looked like Sasha threw a pretty good elbow on the puck carrier and when I heard the whistle I figured that was the call. "Interference" seems like the catch-all lazy man's penalty. See something you don't like? Call it interference... or mix it up and call it "obstruction-interference." Who cares if he has the puck, right?

I don't think the webcast caught the other interference call.
[/q]

I think he did catch him with the elbow. I stand on the aisle between section D and E, so I had a pretty good view of the call. The problem is that he is so tall that when he fights for a puck with a smaller player alot of the times if he even moves his arms at all he's going to knock his opponent. The play was almost identical to the the penalty he was whistled for in the first period of the Sucks game at Albany last year that led to Sucks only goal.

Date: October 30, 2005 01:01PM

I don't think this is an average Cornell team. This is supposed to be *THE YEAR* to win it all. We were supposed to have 7 seniors. Unfortunately the NHL took away one of our bests. I did not see that coming at all and I just think that Schafer still hasn't found an answer to Hynes' departure..

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 01:43PM

I think I have to agree here. I know some people are concerned about the defensive lapsein the second period, and think it might be a sign of sloppy play in the future, but I left that game really excited. Every year we worry about a Saturday night let down on our first weekend, tired legs are to be expected. But this team came out flying in the third, they cycled well, skated hard and made good decisions with the puck. They could've rolled over after a four goal barrage in the second, but they didn't and I believe that will be a bigger factor down the road than the defensive mistakes. You can teach better defense, you can't teach a team to rally together like they did in the third.

As for the worries about the "Lynah Stampede" ruining the cheering, I think we can agree that the Faithful had a pretty good weekend. It was as loud as I've ever heard it, and it obviously got to MSU. I honestly think that it was louder on Saturday down by two goals than it was on Friday. I think everyone was so impressed by the comeback that A, B and the band (I couldn't see who was left on the other side of C) had to stay to do few more cheers. One of the better moments I'll remember for a while.

If the team and fans can show up like that for every weekend this is going to be a really exciting season.

Date: October 30, 2005 01:44PM

I'd like to borrow the words of Jack Parker and say, "it was men playing with boys" this weekend. Not in the hockey sense that Parker referred to. I mean it more literally. I for one am proud of, and have always been proud of the character of our team. They always act with dignity, class, mental toughness and heart. Even when the “boys” were trying to goon it up, they never succumbed to their “goonery.” But, they didn’t back down from defending each other from the boys’ childish antics. Still, they never regressed to instigate the opposition or employee any classless or deceitful tactics. There is no doubt that the team really seemed to “mail it in” during the second period last night. But it says a lot about our team as men of heart, will and character that they were able to come back with their backs against the wall and put forth the necessary effort to get a victory. Although we came up short on the scoreboard, in my mind this game was truly a moral victory. I think they learned a lot about themselves last night, and they should be proud, not ashamed. It’s not about getting the number one seed; it’s about winning the national championship. It’s about having the best team; it’s not about having the easiest path to the championship. What we saw in the third period last night is the stuff the best teams are made of.

Date: October 30, 2005 02:12PM

[Q]Will Wrote:
For those of you on the student side, how did my sign look? We got a few "Bald, bald, bald..." chants going throughout the game, some started by me, some started by the student side. I think it worked well, but I want to make sure my sign was actually clear, in case I want to do more signs in the future.[/q]

Great! Please tell me you are going to use that sign when Sucks comes to town!

Date: October 30, 2005 02:18PM

[Q]proof of concept Wrote:

If you want to be particularly derogitory, there was the cheer that erupted in the stands at the Cornell/Ithaca College club game during the line last year: "Flip My Burger (clap clap clapclapclap)." There were a lot of IC kids at the game (for a club game) and they were not happy about that one.[/q]

To be fair, the IC student fans had already taken "support for their team" to a whole new (low) level. They were openly, blatantly giving us the finger en masse. They were shouting "Fuck Cornell" and the like. I believe one of them may have stolen the Cornell club starting goalie's mask between periods. (Anyone know if that mystery was ever solved?) I guess without the NCAA to govern things, they didn't feel the need to restrain themselves. rolleyes "Flip my burger" was a lot better than those classless morons deserved.

Date: October 30, 2005 02:22PM

Normally, I'd say we should stick to losing with class, and restricting ourselves somewhat on postgame taunting when we lose.

But with MSU playing such a cheap game (I thought they were dropping every time they got hit to draw calls, and Aberka-something took multiple cheap shots after play stopped, including one on Mckee), forget class.

Let's just win the rest of our games at home and not have to use a losing cheer.

Re: It is proper English
Date: October 30, 2005 02:35PM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

I don't think you need to go looking to fill the void of "winning team" when the team doesn't win. I don't think the band should come up with a song besides "Schafer" to play after losses. I think there are nice traditions that go along with winning and I think that the absence of such traditions after a loss is important.[/q]

First of all, I did not make up the cheer. Someone lead this cheer a few years ago. I participated and thought it was funny. Haha, I did not know of the "shitstorm" afterwards probably because I was wasted all weekend (A-19, what happened?).

I'm an engineer, so improper English doesn't really bother me. In Lynah, my intuitive English tongue exists only for the purpose of offending the visiting team ;)
(and the refs sometimes)

Posted by: ctenah (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 30, 2005 02:52PM

well said

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 03:46PM

This was a two-year home-and-home series vs. Michigan State? Do we have an early line on whether the series will extend, or we'll try some other CCHA/WCHA team?

Date: October 30, 2005 04:14PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

This was a two-year home-and-home series vs. Michigan State? Do we have an early line on whether the series will extend, or we'll try some other CCHA/WCHA team? [/q]

Well based on the way things ended and the obvious heat between Schafer and Comley, I do not expect these teams to meet unless it is in the NCAA Tournament.

Date: October 30, 2005 04:33PM

Sometimes the agreement to do an East-meets-West series comes from ties when the head coach was an assistant someplace else and the someplace else agrees to play the new head coach's team, or the two head coaches were assistants together someplace before. It seems to seldom be "what would be a great early season matchup that would be great for college hockey?" although this one turned out that way since both teams were in the top ten. I believe you said Michigan sneered at the idea of playing in a sub-4,000-seat arena even if there's the natural angle of Lehman's law school vs. Lehman's -- oops, too late for that one.

Personally, I'd like to see Cornell and Colorado College go at it in the early season. USCHO and INCH would probably beat to death the Ivy League of the West meets Ivy League angle.

Posted by: hgr23 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 05:22PM

i dont know if it was already said, but does anyone know exactly what happened to pegoraro after the breakaway? i saw the blood on the ice, but no idea what actually happened?

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (128.253.190.---)
Date: October 30, 2005 06:24PM

[Q]Robb Wrote:
F you, Comley. Your boys had more PIMs than we did this weekend. But I guess when your guys get chippy, it's called "intensity."[/q]

give him a break, after all he has no hair!

Date: October 30, 2005 06:36PM

Another awesomely nasty chant I heard at the Ithaca game was "pump my gas" "pump my gas"

At a Duke basketball game last year people were chanting "bag my groceries" that was pretty funny too.

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 07:58PM

Nobody else has commented on the punch that Michigan State landed on McKee during the second period, it was at the side of the net near section k so the students probably couldn't see it. That is why McKee had the player in a head-lock which led to the fight. Just another cheap shot by MSU. I have to admit, I couldn't remember which Cornell player it was, but away from the initial fight a Cornell player got a nice right hook on an MSU player. fight

Posted by: CTUCK1 (---.bflony.adelphia.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 08:02PM

Well said!!!

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 10:15PM

not sure if this was what you saw, but i remember seeing McCutcheon giving a MSU player a few hard jabs in the corner away from all everyone else while the refs were trying to break up the mess around the net.

I seem to remember him getting in a fight two years ago towards the end of game 1 of the Clarkson series (either him or another player who hadn't done much all season). really beat the crap out of a much bigger guy who was a major goon, sweater over his head and everything... i think i remember who but the mere mention of the name might upset some sensibilities :-}

Date: October 30, 2005 10:17PM

[Q]nr53 Wrote:

not sure if this was what you saw, but i remember seeing McCutcheon giving a MSU player a few hard jabs in the corner away from all everyone else while the refs were trying to break up the mess around the net.

I seem to remember him getting in a fight two years ago towards the end of game 1 of the Clarkson series (either him or another player who hadn't done much all season). really beat the crap out of a much bigger guy who was a major goon, sweater over his head and everything... i think i remember who but the mere mention of the name might upset some sensibilities [/q]

Vart?

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 10:22PM

could be, i just remember it being frickin amazing to see laugh

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 10:22PM

[Q]oceanst41 Wrote:

If the team and fans can show up like that for every weekend this is going to be a really exciting season. [/q]

Yes...and if the students would show up just a bit earlier...and if the townies would wear more red...and if people never throw crap on the ice once the game has begun or ended...and if no one ever pulls a fire alarm again...ok, that's my 4 wishes for the day.

Date: October 30, 2005 10:48PM

[Q]nr53 Wrote:

I seem to remember him getting in a fight two years ago towards the end of game 1 of the Clarkson series (either him or another player who hadn't done much all season). really beat the crap out of a much bigger guy who was a major goon, sweater over his head and everything... i think i remember who but the mere mention of the name might upset some sensibilities [/q]

You're thinking of Varteressian. Of course that fight proved to be the turning point of that whole series. McCutcheon would have gotten destroyed by Nickerson.

Posted by: Avash (---.whtmrs01.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 11:27PM

[Q]JimHyla Wrote:

"Cornell is a very physical team. They certainly couldn't play in our league because they would get called for too many penalties. Cornell plays a tough, physical game and tonight, our guys battled to match the intensity. This is a big win for us." [/Q]
Quoted from the MSU site[/q]

That quote is inaccurate. This is word-for-word what Comley said -

"They couldn't play in our league. They wouldn't be allowed. They're just too physical. They're big, strong, and they run 100mph to hit you. Not dirty, but they run, and our officials - they just call that."

Posted by: gatitita '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 11:44PM

s v o b o d a ... VARTERESSIAN VARTERESSIAN

... wasn't that when that cheer came back? or am i dating myself :-P

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login