Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 4 MSU 2 post game-1 thread

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell 4 MSU 2 post game-1 thread
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 09:01AM

Workmanlike victory. Special teams especially PK (6x7 on PK?) did well: Holding the opponent scoreless for 5 minutes in the third period when you're protecting a one-goal lead, that's awesome.

The place sure looked empty 15 minutes before game time. Not during the game. Lots of crowd shots, more than in last year's webcasts. Good PR for Cornell - although how many non-Cornell, non-MSU fans are paying to watch a Webcast?

Pokoluk looked good. Maybe that's because he uses up more pixels on the Webcast than anyone else, even McKee and Mckee's pads, so he's hard not to notice. In comparison, the smoothing algorithms make it hard to notice Topher and his white jersey against the dasherboards.

The defense seemed a little unsettled in a couple places. But then in the third period there were a couple images where the MSU wing was trying to bring the puck out from the near corner and from the camera angle what it appeared he saw was two huge Cornell defensemen forming a solid wall between him and the net. As if they were posing for an illustrated How to Play Defense the Mike Schafer way. Must be even scarier down on the ice.

Shane who? Cornell won without him Friday night but maybe when there's a midseason slump or a couple injuries ...

Need more information on the five-minute penalty on Barlow: Justified call? Makeup call for a missed call earlier? And what had MSU hopping mad earlier in the game when Cornell got called for the two-minute minor -- they were hoping for a five against Cornell?

Also curious from those who attended on how the freshmen looked overall.

Nice that Schafer got No. 200. It would have been better and more symmetrical (10 years, 200 wins) if No. 200 had come against Minnesota.

It's a nice start. And important for post-season seedings since this is a top ten team. Now to do this about, say, 33 or 34 more times, starting with Saturday's game.

Re: Cornell 4 MSU 2 post game-1 thread
Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 09:21AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Need more information on the five-minute penalty on Barlow: Justified call? Makeup call for a missed call earlier? And what had MSU hopping mad earlier in the game when Cornell got called for the two-minute minor -- they were hoping for a five against Cornell? [/q]

I didn't see the Barlow penalty. I think I missed it partially because it was behind the play, and partially because I think it was up along the boards in an area that I can't see very well. So I can't comment on whether or not it was justified. I'd be very interested in others' views, though.

As for the other penalty, etc., that I had a good look at.

The ref, Feola, spoke to the MSU coach for quite some time, and then to Schafer for quite some time. Feola then skated over to the scorer's table and procured what appeared to be some sort of rule book. It looked like a set of white, possibly photocopied pages, though, as opposed to some bound 4-color "book." But the consensus around my seats was that it was a rule book. He looked through it for perhaps a minute or two, and then skated back over to the MSU bench with it, showing it to the MSU coach. He then returned it to the scorer's table, without talking to Schafer again.

So, I believe the MSU coach was questioning some rule, and whatever it was, he turned out to be wrong, which is why Feola did not show Schafer anything in the rulebook.

Obviously this is largely conjecture on my part, so take it for what it's worth.
Andy W.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 09:27AM

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:
So, I believe the MSU coach was questioning some rule, and whatever it was, he turned out to be wrong, which is why Feola did not show Schafer anything in the rulebook.[/q]

Apparently there was a small change in the rules in the recent past that gave the ref more discretion than there used to be in that specific penalty call, and the MSU coach was disputing whether such discretion existed.

First time in seventeen years I've ever seen them consult the actual text of the rules during a game.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 09:34AM

I didn't see the penalty by Barlow because it was behind the play however I would say that the Michigan State player was milking the penalty. He stared at the ref until he made a call and then skated to the bench, he wasn't hurt at all. There were several penalties called on us that Michigan State played up, they were putting their bodies in comprimising positions against the boards so if they were hit it would draw a penalty. It is clear to me that they were trying to draw penalties on the basis of our physical style of play. I would say that most of the penalties that were called against us were legitamite however there were several calls that should have been made on Michigan State that were not made. I sit in section K row 3 and I had the perfect angle on the puck that got past the Michigan State goalie in the second and it DID cross the blue line but the refs were out of position on my side of the ice and the ref on the other side had his view blocked by the goalie as he was knocking the net off its moarings when it went in.

I think the ref was looking at the rule book because, as the crowd called him "Harry Potter" did not serve the remainder of his game misconduct that was called earlier in the game. I think Shafer kept quiet about it until later in the game in case another penalty came up against us. I think coach was trying to use it to even the odds, smart move coach!

Posted by: aznxjz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:01AM

Lynah was a bit empty during the player intros, but we filled up pretty quickly. It was LOUD last night, and I hope it's the same tonight.

Freshmen: Barlow, Mugford, Seminoff (didn't really see or notice the other freshmen) played fairly well, but as you know they committed a majority of our penalties. For their first game, I was certainly impressed. There was one play in the third (I think) where Mugford skated through 3 or 4 MSU guys in traffic which I was impressed with.

Dave McKee was amazing as usual, and was helped out by one of two lucky breaks. There was one heart stopper in the second when the puck was just frozen there next to the pipe until our D cleared it.

I think this is the best I've seen us carry the puck up the ice this early in the season since 2002.

And finally, our PK was amazing. That 5 min stretch didn't even seem like an MSU PP.

Can't wait for tonight's game. LGR

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:04AM

The Ithaca Jornal mentions that Comley might start Jeff Lerg tonight in goal

Date: October 29, 2005 10:04AM

[Q]Brian Wrote:
I didn't see the penalty by Barlow because it was behind the play however I would say that the Michigan State player was milking the penalty. He stared at the ref until he made a call and then skated to the bench, he wasn't hurt at all.[/q]

The measure of whether our player committed a penalty is not whether their player was actually injured.

[q]I think the ref was looking at the rule book because, as the crowd called him "Harry Potter" did not serve the remainder of his game misconduct that was called earlier in the game. I think Shafer kept quiet about it until later in the game in case another penalty came up against us. I think coach was trying to use it to even the odds, smart move coach![/q]

Not even close; see my post above. And I believe Potter was called for a ten-minute, not a game misconduct - and he served the entire ten minutes. That bit of confusion you saw was because he was given a two-minute minor and a ten-minute misconduct, and the box official let him out after ten minutes instead of the total twelve. He was immediately called back and served the remaining time.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2005 10:13AM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Mikek (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:05AM

No potter didnt get a remainder of the game he just got a 10 min misconduct. He served his 10 and then he's allowed back out. Also I saw the barlow call and what it looked like is when barlow started his check they were faceing shoulder to shoulder which is legal, but just as he checked him the msu got turned his back to him making it look like behind. There was nothing barlow could do he was already committed to the check he couldnt stop his body when he saw him turn. Bad call, it was simply a make up call.

Also number 1 in the nation will be ours if we win tonight as MU lost last night.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:12AM

[Q]Brian Wrote:

I think the ref was looking at the rule book because, as the crowd called him "Harry Potter" did not serve the remainder of his game misconduct that was called earlier in the game. I think Shafer kept quiet about it until later in the game in case another penalty came up against us. I think coach was trying to use it to even the odds, smart move coach![/q]

I'm pretty sure Potter didn't get a game misconduct, just a 10 minute misconduct. Barlow was the only game misconduct.

Watching on the webcast, looked like both teams were out for blood. Lots of hard hitting, got quite chippy at times. Looked pretty evenly matched. That said, I think if Cornell can limit their turnovers in the neutral zone, they should pull off the sweep tonight.

Date: October 29, 2005 10:25AM

[Q]DisplacedCornellian Wrote:

Brian Wrote:

I think the ref was looking at the rule book because, as the crowd called him "Harry Potter" did not serve the remainder of his game misconduct that was called earlier in the game. I think Shafer kept quiet about it until later in the game in case another penalty came up against us. I think coach was trying to use it to even the odds, smart move coach![/Q]
I'm pretty sure Potter didn't get a game misconduct, just a 10 minute misconduct. Barlow was the only game misconduct.

Watching on the webcast, looked like both teams were out for blood. Lots of hard hitting, got quite chippy at times. Looked pretty evenly matched. That said, I think if Cornell can limit their turnovers in the neutral zone, they should pull off the sweep tonight.

[/q]

The hard hitting was on our side. MSU is not a physical team, and our style of play really got under their nerves.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:39AM

My opinion on the Barlow call was that is was a penalty... just not a major+game. it should have been a minor for checking from behind. barlow lined him up from behind...

team looked good, Mckee was amazing, nothing more to say.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:53AM

[Q]aznxjz Wrote:
Dave McKee was amazing as usual, and was helped out by one of two lucky breaks. There was one heart stopper in the second when the puck was just frozen there next to the pipe until our D cleared it. [/Q]

Saves: Dave McKee 25, Dominic Vicari 17, Ryan O'Byrne 1 :-D

While on the topic, I saw a number of very good defensive plays by O'Bryne last night. Very nice.

[Q]I think this is the best I've seen us carry the puck up the ice this early in the season since 2002.[/Q]

Agreed, although I don't often get to 'watch' the opening weekend as it seems like they're usually away. But I was *very* impressed by how sharp the team looked early compared to how they usually 'sound.'

[Q]And finally, our PK was amazing. That 5 min stretch didn't even seem like an MSU PP.[/Q]

Eh, it was like an MSU powerplay, in as far as Cornell got little offense and MSU setup in the zone fairly often and passed it around our boxed D. But it wasn't a very good one. Very impressive PK all around, especially then. They had their time in the zone, but not a lot of good chances.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:54AM

Great game all around. Both goalies performed admirably, I felt; luckily, McKee played just a bit better, helped by the stifling defense. No huge complaints about any of our guys; in fact, my personal rating of O'Byrne rose a bit (and not just because of his goal, though that doesn't hurt either).

One comment to the fans, at least on the student side (perhaps on the townie side as well, though I couldn't really see all of them): Don't do the "We're not worthy" after every single save McKee makes. While it's true that he makes some amazing saves, most of the saves he makes are pretty standard, even last night.

Posted by: sockralex (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 11:20AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

One comment to the fans, at least on the student side (perhaps on the townie side as well, though I couldn't really see all of them): Don't do the "We're not worthy" after every single save McKee makes. While it's true that he makes some amazing saves, most of the saves he makes are pretty standard, even last night.[/q]

Yeah, it got so rediculous last night that I mockingly started doing the 'we're not worthy' when McKee would stop the puck from an MSU dump. McKee is a good goalie. We don't need to bow down when he makes a glove save on a 10 mph wrister from the blue line w/ no one in front.

With that said, he made an AMAZING save in the first from point blank on a 2v1 that robbed MSU of a goal. We were truly not worthy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2005 11:23AM by sockralex.

Posted by: Drew042 (---.vet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 29, 2005 11:22AM

Great game last night; the crowd was as good as I have seen it in quite some time. A few notes from where I was sitting in Section O (I know, I suck:-) ):

*Barlow's penalty was at most a 2 min. minor; not sure if it was a make up call or not, but the timing was brutal.
*As per Freshman I was most impressed by Mugford and Barlow (before his early exit). The play where Mugford outhustled 4 MSU players in the 3rd was quite impressive. Barlow seems to have the makings of a larger Scott as he can skate well and seems to create situations for shots to be produced. Seminoff took a fair number of penalties, but I think he will develop into a solid player as the year progesses.
*McKee was his usual self; esp. in the third with several outstanding saves.
*Overall I was impressed for the 1st game of the season. They skated well; they started the rush well; O'Byrne only had 2 miscues with the puck that I noticed (and he even scored a goal).
*I thought the best players on the ice last night were McKee, Moulson; Miller for MSU was as advertised. I thought that Sawada was especially a non-factor and he needs to step up his game now that Shane has left for greener pastures.

See everyone tonight!! LGR!!!

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 11:35AM

In reference to Barlow's misconduct, and the earlier argument, this is all in regards to a rule change this year. The referees don't have more discretion in this penalty, they actually have less. Any hitting from behind penalty this year that involves hitting someone into the boards is now automatically a 5 minute major and a 10 minute misconduct, with the referee able to call a game disqualification if it is severe. That being said, the argument on the first call was probably about the fact that the hit has to be into the boards for that to apply. If you hit someone from behind in open ice, the ref can still call a 2, 5, or dq at his discretion. I am assuming that was what Feola was showing Comley in the rule book.

Posted by: Cisco (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 11:47AM

I think Jacob is correct about the consultation of the rule book. I've never seen that happen in a game, but a key piece of evidence, after the ref read the book for a few minutes, he signaled "2" with his hand as he skated over to the MSU ignorant ref.

He was signaling that the penalty was goign to stay at 2 for hitting from behind, which as Jacob correcly points out, is a much more rare penalty than the almost automatic 5+game.

Posted by: bigred06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 12:33PM

A reason why it was so empty at the beginning of the game was traffic for the townies. I sat in traffic for 15 minutes just from the entrence to the clock tower to Lynah rink.

Date: October 29, 2005 12:48PM

[Q]bigred06 Wrote:

A reason why it was so empty at the beginning of the game was traffic for the townies. I sat in traffic for 15 minutes just from the entrence to the clock tower to Lynah rink.[/q]

Two words: Parent's Weekend (oh wait I think they call it "First Year Family Weekend"--make it 4 words)

Date: October 29, 2005 01:23PM

[Q]Drew042 Wrote:

Great game last night; the crowd was as good as I have seen it in quite some time. A few notes from where I was sitting in Section O (I know, I suck ):

*Barlow's penalty was at most a 2 min. minor; not sure if it was a make up call or not, but the timing was brutal.
*As per Freshman I was most impressed by Mugford and Barlow (before his early exit). The play where Mugford outhustled 4 MSU players in the 3rd was quite impressive. Barlow seems to have the makings of a larger Scott as he can skate well and seems to create situations for shots to be produced. Seminoff took a fair number of penalties, but I think he will develop into a solid player as the year progesses.
*McKee was his usual self; esp. in the third with several outstanding saves.
*Overall I was impressed for the 1st game of the season. They skated well; they started the rush well; O'Byrne only had 2 miscues with the puck that I noticed (and he even scored a goal).
*I thought the best players on the ice last night were McKee, Moulson; Miller for MSU was as advertised. I thought that Sawada was especially a non-factor and he needs to step up his game now that Shane has left for greener pastures.

See everyone tonight!! LGR!!![/q]

I was also pretty disappointed with Sawada. I don't think I saw him hit anyone in green in the second half of the game. Although it's unlikely, perhaps Schafer asked him to tone it down a bit because of the tight officiating? Regardless, I'm looking for him to back bounce and return to his normal hard hitting self tonight.

As everyone has already said--unbelievable game. I really saw the game turn about half way through the first period. All of a sudden we started hitting guys and everything turned around. I've heard Schafer say before that we are an average hockey team unless we play physical. He hasn't been mentioned at all, but I thought Cam Abbott was the best player on the ice. Although he may not have generated as many scoring opportunities as he did in the US under 18 game, his effort and scrappyness during 5x5 and especially on the PK seemed to fuel the team; you could really see the team feeding off his energy. He was a constant nuisance for MSU backchecking and especially forechecking all night long and outworked every MSU player he was up against. This was a prototypical Cornell grind it out work your ass off kind of game, and I thought it was Cam who lead the charge.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (209.2.89.---)
Date: October 29, 2005 01:33PM

Defensemen struggled a bit in front of their net, leaving guys open, and that led to both MSU goals. It isn't exactly unheard of in the first game of the season, even for Cornell. Carefoot really stood out to me in a positive way. Chris Abbott and Pegoraro logged a ton of ice time and probably will in every game the team plays this season. Seminoff really struggled in his first game and got very little ice time in the third period. Was impressed with the other freshmen though. A positive in Barlow not playing tonight is that we'll get a chance to see Kindret play. Barlow has big time potential - sort of a cross between an Abbott and Vesce.
A lot of solid performances. I was not at all impressed with Vicari and I think he was the difference in the game. Otherwise I thought it was pretty even which is a positive for Cornell considering it was their first game.

Date: October 29, 2005 01:34PM

Barlow got a DQ ?!?!?! I thought it was just a game misconduct?

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 01:47PM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:

Barlow got a DQ ?!?!?! I thought it was just a game misconduct?[/q]

It was indeed a Game Misconduct, not a DQ. Barlow is eligible to play tonight.

[www.collegehockeystats.net]
[Q] COR-10 Evan Barlow (10-Game Misconduct)[/Q]

Date: October 29, 2005 01:47PM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:

Barlow got a DQ ?!?!?! I thought it was just a game misconduct?[/q]

I thought a DQ. Maybe I heard wrong.

Date: October 29, 2005 01:48PM

And for everyone ripping on Section B for last week can be at ease because they and every other student section was unbelievable last night, moreso than any early reguar season game in memory.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 01:55PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

And for everyone ripping on Section B for last week can be at ease because they and every other student section was unbelievable last night, moreso than any early reguar season game in memory.[/q]

It might be because last night was the first time I have seen the student sections from the other side of the rink, but I have to agree. You guys were loud and made your presence known. Great job. Keep it up.

Date: October 29, 2005 02:01PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

And for everyone ripping on Section B for last week can be at ease because they and every other student section was unbelievable last night, moreso than any early reguar season game in memory.[/q]

Agreed. I thought the crowd was just a notch or so below the crowd at the second Clarkson playoff game last year. I think the main noise difference between the two games was the townie side not matching their noise level from that Clarkson game. When all of Lynah gets going together on a "let's go red" cheer, the place rocks--literally.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2005 02:02PM by redhair34.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 02:16PM

The only thing that slightly bothered me was how quiet everyone got after a MSU goal. In past years there would always be a "Lets go Red" cheer right afterwards to keep the crown noise up. I'm hoping that'll change tonight but if it happens again I may have to start my first cheer...

Date: October 29, 2005 02:29PM

Also should mention that the second powerplay unit was BRUTAL. They could not get set up on any of their opportunities. The first unit struggled their first few attempts but obviously got the hang of it by the O'Byrne goal where Scott, Moulson, and Pokuluk gained a lot more composure with the puck.
I think it is going to take Sawada a little while to get accustomed to playing with a scoring line. He did get off a big open ice hit in the first period but that was about it. I think it's tough for players like Sawada to get into a groove in games when there are a lot of special teams situations, particularly PK where he doesn't play. He is the kind of player who needs to see a regular shift to get into the flow of things.

Date: October 29, 2005 02:30PM

Yeah, I'll agree with that one - rather than start "Let's Go Red" it seemed like people just sat back and waited until it was appropriate to chant "Section O Sucks." On their second goal I tried to get "Let's Go Red" started, and it carried for a few rounds, but that's it. Your help would be appreciated.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: October 29, 2005 02:33PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

On their second goal I tried to get "Let's Go Red" started, and it carried for a few rounds, but that's it.
[/q]

I tried it too. But people just laughed at me becuase I had no voice left. Luckily I had a cough drop last night and will be ready for game 2.

Date: October 29, 2005 02:38PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Yeah, I'll agree with that one - rather than start "Let's Go Red" it seemed like people just sat back and waited until it was appropriate to chant "Section O Sucks." On their second goal I tried to get "Let's Go Red" started, and it carried for a few rounds, but that's it. Your help would be appreciated.

Beeeej[/q]

Last night, we did a lot of Section O Sucks cheers that were well-timed and very funny. Whenever there was a pause for some reason like after the players got off the ice or when there was the long pause after the Chris Abbott penalty, we just started the cheer up to keep everybody invovled even though the MSU fans never said boo. I guess I would be pretty biased but I thought the students were really really good. Very few quiet periods and a lot of enthusiasm. Not nearly as many drunk morons as in the past.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2005 02:46PM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: aznxjz (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: October 29, 2005 03:20PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Did I hear a little cowbell hiccup in the 3rd? or was that just my imagination?

One thing I've still noticed about the student section is that when we score, we still don't have the number of "sieve's" down and also the number of "it's all your fault"

hopefully we will all get more practice tonight.

Date: October 29, 2005 03:23PM

[Q]aznxjz Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:

And for everyone ripping on Section B for last week can be at ease because they and every other student section was unbelievable last night, moreso than any early reguar season game in memory.[/Q]
Did I hear a little cowbell hiccup in the 3rd? or was that just my imagination?

One thing I've still noticed about the student section is that when we score, we still don't have the number of "sieve's" down and also the number of "it's all your fault"

hopefully we will all get more practice tonight.[/q]

The hiccup was in the second period right at the end because a drunk kid behind me lost his balance and nudged me so not to fall over.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 03:23PM

[Q]aznxjz Wrote:

[/q]

Good.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 04:26PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Yeah, I'll agree with that one - rather than start "Let's Go Red" it seemed like people just sat back and waited until it was appropriate to chant "Section O Sucks." On their second goal I tried to get "Let's Go Red" started, and it carried for a few rounds, but that's it. Your help would be appreciated.[/q]

Don't the drums in the Pep Band pound out the LGR beat after opponent goals?

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 05:09PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

Beeeej Wrote:

Yeah, I'll agree with that one - rather than start "Let's Go Red" it seemed like people just sat back and waited until it was appropriate to chant "Section O Sucks." On their second goal I tried to get "Let's Go Red" started, and it carried for a few rounds, but that's it. Your help would be appreciated.[/Q]
Don't the drums in the Pep Band pound out the LGR beat after opponent goals?[/q]
Usually yes, but for the first MSU goal the goal light never went on, so those of us all the way back in section A were unsure whether or not the goal was good. The second goal got drum beats, though they weren't as loud as I'm used to.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 05:42PM

Yeah... I was in section A and looked up at the conducter to see where the LGR drum beats were... she hadn't seen the light and didn't know it was a goal... I'm sure they'll be more on top of it tonight

Date: October 30, 2005 04:52AM

Yes, well, in my strong opinion that's a significant part of the problem. If the pep band drummers had any sense of how these things actually work, they would start the beat, keep it going for maybe two rounds, and then get the hell out of the way. By continuing the beat at the same ridiculously slow pace, they make it impossible for the crowd to keep chanting "Let's Go Red!" at anything like the normal pace of the chant, so one third of the crowd simply stops, one third tries to keep going at the drums' pace, and the other third tries to switch to the normal pace. And because they're not all chanting at the same speed, they all chant more quietly and unsurely, and all of them get drowned out by the drums.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: redice (---.usadatanet.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 11:16AM

Yep, that's the first game that we townies have come to en masse.....NOT!!! Plan ahead- traffic is a reality on game nights. Don't blame the townies. Accept responsibility for poor planning.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login