Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Get with it Section B!!!

Posted by canuck89 
Get with it Section B!!!
Posted by: canuck89 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: October 24, 2005 12:30PM

As a returning student season ticket holder, I was very depressed after the exhibition game this past weekend. Section B was nothing like it was in the past (understood when thinking of the Stampede), and it did not even match up evenly with the other student sections. Very few people were cheering, and others were even commenting on how they thought the cheers and band songs were lame.

If you do not like the cheers, do not want to cheer, or simply do not want to be there... Sell your tickets and LEAVE!!!

We need everyone at the rink to support our team. If you do not know the cheers, read the "cheers" section on this website. Also, if you only want to go to the games so that you can talk to friends, find out what "facetimer" means. We must create an atmosphere that will make it difficult for other teams to focus and play to the best of their ability.

I do not mind freshmen sitting in Section B as long as they choose to become involved and pay attention to the game. I was even next to a senior who could not stop talking to his friends about his job interviews (Even as the team scored). This is disgusting and needs to change.

Please.... let's all show up next weekend and let MSU have it. This is a huge series for us and we need all the help we can get. Besides, going to the games and cheering is Fun! Go home if you don't want to be there.

Re: Get with it Section B!!!
Posted by: Beeeej (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: October 24, 2005 12:47PM

What in heaven's name makes you think any of the people you're trying to reach with that rant read this forum?

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: October 24, 2005 01:13PM

This is my third year in section B and Friday was no worse than exhibition games of the past.

Date: October 24, 2005 01:15PM

As Beeeej said, you will accomplish nothing by preaching to choir that frequents this site. Write some to the Daily Sun if you want the people who are 'the problem' to be better fans. I just wish people would show up to games on time. I seriously don't see what is so difficult about it. But I have pretty much learned to live with it.

Date: October 24, 2005 01:18PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
As Beeeej said, you will accomplish nothing by preaching to choir that frequents this site. Write some to the Daily Sun if you want the people who are 'the problem' to be better fans.[/q]

That usually engenders a knee-jerk "Don't tell us how to be fans" reaction. Not worth the time or the effort.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: MoreCowbell (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: October 24, 2005 02:21PM

Yeah. And the cowbell needs to be brought up a notch. You know, as in it actually being played on beat, and before the last minute in the 3rd. Halfway through the period Ari... halfway, not at the end.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 24, 2005 02:39PM

Actually, things seem to have changed since you went here. Many of these "facetimers" actually do read this forum to find out how best to fit in. That doesn't mean they participate in the cheers though and pay attention as much as they should.

As hockey is the 9th most watch sport on TV in the United States, and 10% of the undergraduate community goes to the games, do you really think that everyone who reads this forum is a true hockey fan??? It's unfortunate, but more people than you think are just facetimers. Sorry, but in truth, many non-fans do actually read this forum and already "know" the cheers too (despite me asking a few to learn them). The problem is that not a lot of people are as interested in hockey as we are; however, at the very least they can participate and help our team win. That is what we are all trying to achieve, right???

Date: October 24, 2005 02:39PM

Eh, I thought that it was pretty good on Friday and everybody else I talked to including usually pretty tough to impress people seemed to think so too. The band kept on playing in the third period and there kept being penalties and that is why it took until the last couple minutes to do it.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.vet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 24, 2005 02:50PM

For what it's worth, I thought the cowbell was definitely up to par this past Friday... great improvement over last season

Date: October 24, 2005 02:52PM

[Q]canuck89 Wrote:
Actually, things seem to have changed since you went here.[/q]

For instance, there's now an online Cornell Hockey discussion forum.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: October 24, 2005 02:54PM

Hmmm... I think I was referring to the attitude of the fans, not the widespread use of the internet. Nonetheless, touche!

Date: October 24, 2005 02:56PM

Props! I also thought the cowbell sounded really good.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: October 24, 2005 03:15PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

As Beeeej said, you will accomplish nothing by preaching to choir that frequents this site. Write some to the Daily Sun if you want the people who are 'the problem' to be better fans. I just wish people would show up to games on time. I seriously don't see what is so difficult about it. But I have pretty much learned to live with it.[/q]

If you really want the facetimers to read these, just tape them on the walls of whatever local establishments sell Northface and rufees. That should cover most of them.

Date: October 24, 2005 03:16PM

lol, good point.

Posted by: Bryan '06 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 24, 2005 03:38PM

The cowbell sounded really good on Friday, Ari. If you want to play the cowbell at a specific time in the game, come early and say hi to whoever is conducting the pepband that night and we'll make sure you get a chance. Either that, or just start up the cowbell right after a whistle...we know not to play over you. :-D

Posted by: Dave '02 (---.dyn122.wfu.edu)
Date: October 24, 2005 03:44PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think I have the answer to reduce facetimers.

Have a fall break line for hockey tickets and sell season tickets as general admission by section. That way, in order for a facetimers to break up a good cheering section, they would have to give up their fall break by waiting in line AND would have to get to the game early. Neither of these should be a problem for dedicated fans.

Posted by: JimHyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2005 06:01PM

[Q]Bryan '06 Wrote:

The cowbell sounded really good on Friday, Ari. If you want to play the cowbell at a specific time in the game, come early and say hi to whoever is conducting the pepband that night and we'll make sure you get a chance. Either that, or just start up the cowbell right after a whistle...we know not to play over you.[/q]At one point, years ago, it was the cowbell, first break after the 10 minute mark 2nd & 3rd periods.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 24, 2005 06:56PM

[Q]JimHyla Wrote:
At one point, years ago, it was the cowbell, first break after the 10 minute mark 2nd & 3rd periods.[/q]

If by 'years', you mean 2, then yes ;)

Posted by: dbilmes (---.0.126.65.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 24, 2005 08:33PM

FWIW, an excerpt from the USCHO article on the exhibition game:

[Q] Aggressive play, penalties and a raucous Lynah student section, gave the Cornell Big Red's home opener against the U.S. Under-18 team the feel of a mid-season conference rivalry, rather than a mere warm up for No. 2 ranked Cornell [/Q]

Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2005 09:54PM

[Q]dbilmes Wrote:

Aggressive play, penalties and a raucous Lynah student section, gave the Cornell Big Red's home opener against the U.S. Under-18 team the feel of a mid-season conference rivalry, rather than a mere warm up for No. 2 ranked Cornell
[/q]

Whoever wrote that was definitely not in section B. ;-)

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2005 10:34PM

[Q]Oat Wrote:

dbilmes Wrote:

Aggressive play, penalties and a raucous Lynah student section, gave the Cornell Big Red's home opener against the U.S. Under-18 team the feel of a mid-season conference rivalry, rather than a mere warm up for No. 2 ranked Cornell
[/Q]
Whoever wrote that was definitely not in section B. [/q]
Maybe I'm used to screaming at retards in section B for saying stupid stuff like "Four point weekend" in a game against Sacred Heart, but I didn't notice that much of a difference from the next section over. No offense to former B-ers on this forum.

Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2005 10:44PM

screw section b. section A fo' life. represent!

Posted by: RazzBaronZ (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2005 10:56PM

I'm in B and I also thought it wasn't very good. However, I think a lot of people didn't make it to the game or gave tickets away (I know a few people) so maybe it'll be better in future games. That said, the fact that they all missed a game doesn't speak well for them either.

Alex Barash '07

Posted by: judy (70.110.22.---)
Date: October 24, 2005 11:04PM

[Q]Dave '02 Wrote:

Not to beat a dead horse, [/q]

Please note that my brain is shutting down for the night...but with the talk of cowbell playing my first thought upon reading this was of Ari beating a dead horse instead of the cowbell lynah and "gee, that wouldn't make enough noise..."

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled discussion and out of my slightly...bizarre...thoughts...

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: October 24, 2005 11:19PM

Man, I thought *I* wasn't getting enough sleep. Judy, I wish you many of these: snore snore snore

Posted by: TwoLinePass15 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 01:04AM

I agree... section A has rocked the last two years.

I have a really dumb question... does anyone know the identity of the "macho man" woman who sits in N?

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 03:36AM

She did win a "fan of the game" last year.

Date: October 25, 2005 03:44AM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

screw section b. section A fo' life. represent![/q]

Then why did you try to get yourself so close to B all those years. Trying to catch a glimpse of the sweet life, eh?:-D

Posted by: dadeo (---.shore.co.monmouth.nj.us)
Date: October 25, 2005 08:11AM

Well at least the cowbell hasnt been confiscated this season so we actually have one
lol (ah memories)

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2005 08:26AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote: ... I just wish people would show up to games on time. I seriously don't see what is so difficult about it. But I have pretty much learned to live with it.[/q]Maybe fans don't show up early because there's little rational reason for showing up early, it's cold inside Lynah, and the rink is dry. (As if being a fan could ever be rational.) If all 3836 fans show up 45 minutes before gametime, Cornell invariably wins. The last thousand fans show up 5 minutes before to 10 minutes after the puck drops, Cornell invariably wins. In either situation, when Cornell has a couple bad bounces of the puck, it loses the odd game at home. How do you quantify the disadvantage to Michigan State this weekend, say, if everyone has arrived and is lustily booing when the Spartans step onto the ice for warmups? Is that worth an extra 0.1 goals beyond the, what, ~1 goal Lynah home advantage?

One could say that earlier generations of Cornell students were more dedicated and came early. But that's just not my recollection. The constant is that by 7:05 or 7:15, Lynah is full. And Cornell wins.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 08:31AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Is that worth an extra 0.1 goals beyond the, what, ~1 goal Lynah home advantage?
[/q]

Yes.

Posted by: ctenah (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 25, 2005 12:25PM

I know for a fact that Section B was emptier than usual. A bunch of frat guys have tickets together in there, and had formal nights that night. Seems we could've used a few more loud drunk kids.

As to the weakness of B: many freshman who, even after 'learning' the cheers on this site, still don't know the rhythm or remember exactly when to use them. I'm confident in Friday and Saturday's fan support.

Btw: Why the fuck would someone start chanting "Safety School" at the U18's? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Date: October 25, 2005 12:28PM

wow, that is just absolutely horrible!

It's even better than that...
Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: October 25, 2005 12:42PM

In the Harkness years (um.. the real early ones:-/ ) Lynah would be full within minutes of the doors opening. Even if there were no chants, the buzz of the crowd was fabulous and sometimes you could see the amazement on the visiting teams when they arrived and walked past Section A TO DRESS BEFORE WARMUPS!

Then they of course were abused upon taking the ice for drills. File it under "If a little abuse is good, more is better."

Posted by: dadeo (---.shore.co.monmouth.nj.us)
Date: October 25, 2005 01:16PM

Wow. @ the safety school chant. Thats why I love going to away games. Only fans who know what from what show up, and we always have a great time. (Speaking of which, whose going to Yale and Brown? besides me?)
dave '02

Date: October 25, 2005 01:25PM

I'm going to Yale, but probably not Brown. Part of the appeal of the Yale game for me has always been the ability to return to NYC shortly afterwards. I may change my mind, but we'll see.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 01:31PM

FWIW, my Yale tickets arrived in the mail yesterday. I think I ordered them on the 17th or so. So if anyone else did the same, hopefully they'll be showing up around now. See you there.

LGR!!

We're planning to be there. But no tickets in-hand just yet. Anyone have theirs already? I have Brown, Dartmouth and Harvard, but no Yale. I don't recall them saying anything about the tickets being at the will call window, so I'm assuming they'll arrive one of these days.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2005 10:14AM by Killer.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.research.cornell.edu)
Date: October 25, 2005 01:58PM

[Q]dadeo Wrote:

Wow. @ the safety school chant. Thats why I love going to away games. Only fans who know what from what show up, and we always have a great time. (Speaking of which, whose going to Yale and Brown? besides me?)
dave '02[/q]
The band will be at Yale, Brown, and Harvard (and Rochester!) but not Dartmouth.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 02:04PM

The Cornell ticket office got the Yale tix in, and they told me they are all sold and I got some of the last ones. I'll be at all of the first 2 away weekends.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.0.126.65.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 25, 2005 02:43PM

We have tix (through the South. Conn. Cornell Club) for the Yale game. We'll be there next to the band again with signs and newspapers for the relatively docile CT faithful... nut

Edit: We'll also be at Rochester.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2005 02:50PM by dbilmes.

Date: October 25, 2005 05:27PM

Jeez, the Yale Rink is so noisy, a kazoo can be deafening. A handful of Big Red Band in the stands could cause hearing loss, so point those trumpets directly across the rink. Maybe it was designed that way so 500 Yale fans sound like 3800 Cornell fans in Lynah.

Ingalls Rink is a perfect example of a beautifully architected building unsuited for human occupancy. It has, what, one overextended bathroom?

The connection of Lynah to the other, newer athletic buildings isn't beautiful archictecture, but it's nicely suited for fans to wander aroundbetween periods, if that's what you, or your kids, want to do.

Date: October 25, 2005 06:50PM

[Q]dadeo Wrote:

dave '02[/q]

I agree. While I miss Lynah, it's pretty nice being within easy driving distance of Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale, Brown, and QU - and not much further from RPI and Union. And away games are definitely nice with the intelligent fan base, and there's something nice about being the minority.

Anyway, I got my tickets to Yale from the Yale box office - haven't received them yet, ordered about a week ago - but I seem to have enough pending charges on my credit card to imply they've charged it.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 06:58PM

There are stupid and ignorant fans in every rink. It's nice to go to Cornell road games where it's a lot easier to take the false high ground and pretend that Cornellians are all intelligent and knowledgeable. :-)

Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2005 07:02PM

i will be at brown with jamie davil horn hat lebarron

-mike

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2005 10:00AM

Well, I happened to be down near section F during both cowbells and that whole end of the rink lost the beat in about 3 seconds because it sped up right away. And, for what it's worth, you're still doing the last two measures wrong*.

[www.elynah.com]

*For values of wrong equaling not the way it was done by the previous two or more guys.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: October 26, 2005 10:57AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

There are stupid and ignorant fans in every rink. It's nice to go to Cornell road games where it's a lot easier to take the false high ground and pretend that Cornellians are all intelligent and knowledgeable. [/q]

I dunno. The guy in the fireman's helmet who shows up at Brown is no prize...
help

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 26, 2005 12:11PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

Is that worth an extra 0.1 goals beyond the, what, ~1 goal Lynah home advantage?
[/Q]
Yes.[/q]

Seriously.

Date: October 26, 2005 03:23PM

Actually, that problem never works with the cowbell in Section B. Last year the whole student section outside of B was guessing about when to say "Fight." It was not pretty to say the least.

Date: October 26, 2005 03:35PM

Just out of curiosity, was it as bad when I was doing it? Often at the cost of precision, I always tried to be as loud as possible with it. Wondering if it's more of a timing or volume issue.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: October 26, 2005 04:13PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

Just out of curiosity, was it as bad when I was doing it? Often at the cost of precision, I always tried to be as loud as possible with it. Wondering if it's more of a timing or volume issue.[/q]

Yes, it was as bad, but by no fault of your own.

In fact, the cowbell was very loud; the first 3 or 4 beats were always heard loud and clear, and I could sometimes hear it faintly (even with all the clapping) during my years in D (twice) and G (twice). But I think the only reason I heard it was because I knew the beat and knew what to listen for. And if I couldn't hear it, I'd just play the beat in my head and clap appropriately.

That being said, I'd estimate about 10% of the D, F, and G'ers knew when to say "Fight!." Once you get past the first few beats, most people stop hearing the cowbell and assume it's an "accelerating clapping" cheer.

And IIRC, it doesn't show significant improvement as the season progresses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2005 04:14PM by Jordan 04.

Posted by: RichS (---.wayneschools.com)
Date: October 26, 2005 04:18PM

Hey Bill,

Since beer isn't sold at college games, who needs bathrooms? :-D

I kinda like "the Whale", am hoping to get up there this season.

Posted by: Karlmoose (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2005 04:49PM

OK, I have to jump in and defend Ari here...As the guy sitting next to him every single game for a year, I saw his timing and rhythm improve as the season progresses, and I have no doubts that it will happen again. And, much like the cheers, everyone in the stands will know how it goes a few games in. The same thing happened last year. And as for Section B, you're gaining a major voice on Friday when I finally get to my first game of the year. Maybe that's all that you were missing...

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2005 05:12PM

its hard to stay on beat (or even hear the right beat for that matter ) w/ all the idiots around you clapping faster and faster so i end just keep an eye on B for tempo and picture the bell in my head

Date: October 26, 2005 05:14PM

Be the bell.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2005 06:02PM

[Q]Karlmoose Wrote:
...And, much like the cheers, everyone in the stands will know how it goes a few games in. The same thing happened last year....[/q]
IMHO, the crowd knowing the beat comes a distant second to the bell itself being on beat/rhythm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2005 06:03PM by ben03.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 26, 2005 06:28PM

[Q]Karlmoose Wrote:

OK, I have to jump in and defend Ari here...As the guy sitting next to him every single game for a year, I saw his timing and rhythm improve as the season progresses, and I have no doubts that it will happen again. And, much like the cheers, everyone in the stands will know how it goes a few games in. The same thing happened last year. And as for Section B, you're gaining a major voice on Friday when I finally get to my first game of the year. Maybe that's all that you were missing...
[/q]

And as someone who stood in front of him every single game for a year, I agree that he improved. I'm pretty sure you have thick skin, Ari, or you wouldn't have taken this job, so I'm going to also agree with the comments that by the end of last year you still sped up during the cheer and still didn't have a grasp on the syncopation at the end.

I very much disagree with the idea that everyone will ever know how the cheer goes. I have friends that, senior year, still had to watch everyone else to figure out when to say "Fight!" Our attempts to instill some musical competency (counting out the measures, etc) could only do so much. That said, more people will figure out/remember how it goes after hearing it consistently played a few times.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 26, 2005 07:16PM

It's not thatthey assume it's an accelerating clapping thing.

White folks got no rhythm.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2005 08:41PM

Yeah, I have a thick skin with this and I honestly appreciate all of the feedback - positive and negative. It's not like I take it personally or anything.

[Q]Liz '05 Wrote:

Karlmoose Wrote:

[/Q]
And as someone who stood in front of him every single game for a year, I agree that he improved. I'm pretty sure you have thick skin, Ari, or you wouldn't have taken this job, so I'm going to also agree with the comments that by the end of last year you still sped up during the cheer and still didn't have a grasp on the syncopation at the end.

I very much disagree with the idea that everyone will ever know how the cheer goes. I have friends that, senior year, still had to watch everyone else to figure out when to say "Fight!" Our attempts to instill some musical competency (counting out the measures, etc) could only do so much. That said, more people will figure out/remember how it goes after hearing it consistently played a few times. [/q]

Date: October 26, 2005 09:10PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

It's not thatthey assume it's an accelerating clapping thing.

White folks got no rhythm.[/q]

That's true. Up til '02 we had that guy who would wave his hands wildly during the cowbell to keep the pace.:-P

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2005 09:21PM

his name was joe and he was also the shirtless dude. B-]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2005 09:46PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:
Often at the cost of precision, I always tried to be as loud as possible with it.[/q]

And sometimes at the cost of your grip on the beater.
:-}

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 26, 2005 10:44PM

Hey, does Age talk about your personal life on eLF?!

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2005 10:48PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Hey, does Age talk about your personal life on eLF?!

Beeeej[/q]

[www.worldwidewank.com]

Date: October 26, 2005 11:10PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

Just out of curiosity, was it as bad when I was doing it? Often at the cost of precision, I always tried to be as loud as possible with it. Wondering if it's more of a timing or volume issue.[/q]

Through no fault of Age's, once the clapping started, I could never hear the Cowbell rhythm down in D/E. It was always just general clanging. I only knew when to say 'fight' cause I would count to 16 (or, well, count to 4 four times) on the beats. But that only worked ~50% of the time on the first time through cause you would often miss the first beat or two and so no be able to count it out (and again, you couldn't tell by the bell cause it was just a generally clanging sound). Got it 95% of the time the second time through though, timing from the first 'Fight'.

It's definitely a volume issue, not a timing thing, but short of a megaphone or a PA system hookup, there's nothing to be one about it. And with Lynah's PA system, I wouldn't even bet on that.

That's why doing it near D once a game or so would be a good idea. If there's ever a day where the Lynah ushers leave their god-complex at home < sigh >

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 26, 2005 11:48PM

That's it! We need an electric cowbell with an amplifier!

Date: October 27, 2005 12:34AM

Been sounding good! Just louder if anything, though, I know you really can't do much more about that (Section D as suggested above?).

Date: October 27, 2005 12:49AM

Or 10 cowbells played in unison at warp speed by high schoolers with a drum beat to keep them together (a la UVM's band)...

Posted by: Jerseygirl (209.191.246.---)
Date: October 27, 2005 09:31AM

I think whoever's playing the cowbell should really just explore the space with it.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: October 27, 2005 09:56AM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

I think whoever's playing the cowbell should really just explore the space with it.[/q]

Hahahaha

We need more cowbell!

Alright, had to be said, now back to the topic (yeah right)

Date: October 27, 2005 09:58AM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Jerseygirl Wrote:

I think whoever's playing the cowbell should really just explore the space with it.[/Q]
Hahahaha

We need more cowbell!

Alright, had to be said, now back to the topic (yeah right)[/q]

Uh-oh...here comes the poker spam!

Date: October 27, 2005 02:23PM

Within limits, a cowbell is like sex or Rock 'n' Roll Glitter. There is no bad cowbell cheer.

Date: October 27, 2005 03:01PM

[Q]RichS Wrote: Hey Bill, Since beer isn't sold at college games, who needs bathrooms?

I kinda like "the Whale", am hoping to get up there this season. [/q]"Isn't sold" <> "isn't consumed," whether before or during.

Maybe that's what the announcer meant about a three-line pass not being offsides at Clarkson - blue line, red line, yellow line.

Call AAA before starting out from Clarkson to "get up" to Ingalls. Most maps show one would be traveling south or down. Or did you mean moving up socially?

Posted by: Robb (---.northgrum.com)
Date: October 27, 2005 04:11PM

IIRC, RichS lives in the DC area, so all ECAC rinks are "up" for him...

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: October 27, 2005 04:54PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Within limits, a cowbell is like sex or Rock 'n' Roll Glitter. There is no bad cowbell cheer. [/q]

You don't know my ex.

Just kidding, but it was one of those opening lines that just couldn't be resisted.

Date: October 27, 2005 05:05PM

[Q]Robb Wrote: IIRC, RichS lives in the DC area, so all ECAC rinks are "up" for him...[/q]He graduated? That's one positive step for No Child Left Behind.

Date: October 27, 2005 05:11PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Within limits, a cowbell is like sex or Rock 'n' Roll Glitter. There is no bad cowbell cheer. [/q]

Gary Glitter. Check.

Rock 'n' Roll Part 2. Check.

Rock 'n' Roll Glitter? Sounds like something found at an art supply store.

Date: October 27, 2005 05:20PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

Within limits, a cowbell is like sex or Rock 'n' Roll Glitter. There is no bad cowbell cheer. [/Q]
Gary Glitter. Check.

Rock 'n' Roll Part 2. Check.

Rock 'n' Roll Glitter? Sounds like something found at an art supply store.[/q]Do I get a chance to blame it on a bad ID3 tag? That sounds politer than "he typed more than he thought."

You're right, Rock 'n' Roll Glitter is probably what I saw applied heavily to adolescent faces while chaperoning a middle-school dance last week.

Posted by: sen '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 27, 2005 08:17PM

NO CATS NO! yark

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 27, 2005 08:57PM

"Graduated"? laugh

Yep...in 1974 in fact and FWIW, I'm in NJ, and have been since '77.

The Whale at New Haven is about a 2 hr trip at most if I recall correctly.

Can't say I recall any "yellow line" at Tech though. I never "consumed" beer at old Clarkson Arena...honestly...never!!!

But I do recall seeing some harder beverages consumed. :-}

Date: October 27, 2005 10:52PM

Ah well. Jersey, Maryland - they all look pretty close to college hockey from California... :`(

BROWN AND YALE TICKETS! HELP
Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2005 04:01AM

MY ROOMMATE AND I WANT TO GO TO YALE AND BROWN REALLY BADLY. WE CAN'T GET TICKETS ANYWHERE! HELP!!!

Re: BROWN AND YALE TICKETS! HELP
Date: October 28, 2005 05:50AM

Look in the upper left corner of your screen for where it says Ticket Exchange. That's the place to go.

Be sure to leave the Caps Lock key on when you type your request. That always impresses people with the urgency of your needs.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: October 28, 2005 06:45AM

Multiple exclamation points are another unstated touch.

Date: October 28, 2005 08:21AM

[Q]Oat Wrote:

MY ROOMMATE AND I WANT TO GO TO YALE AND BROWN REALLY BADLY. WE CAN'T GET TICKETS ANYWHERE! HELP!!![/q]

Despite not using the ticket exchange and using the ugly caps, have you tried calling the schools? I ordered tickets from them a week ago no problem. Also, I know at least Yale does plenty of standing room sales right before game time, so show up early and you should be fine (but call and ask them about it).

Date: October 28, 2005 12:16PM

And since when does Brown actually fill the rink?

Date: October 28, 2005 01:22PM

Yeah, I think the only other pairing where you'd least have to worry about a sell-out is Princeton/Q.

Date: October 28, 2005 01:39PM

Yale does sell out from time to time, although I don't know about standing room. RPI has always had seats when I've been there, although some are in the obstructed view corners, and c onsidering their recent play this should continue. Likewise I don't remember tickets being a problem at Union.

Date: October 28, 2005 01:42PM

Yale always sells out now, at least for Cornell.

Date: October 28, 2005 02:05PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

Yale always sells out now, at least for Cornell.[/q]

That said, there are also usually people (like my dad) standing outside selling/giving away their extra tickets. The key is just getting there early and finding them.

Date: October 28, 2005 02:29PM

[q]That said, there are also usually people (like my dad) standing outside selling/giving away their extra tickets. The key is just getting there early and finding them.[/q]Isn't that true in most places? I never needed to take advantage of it, but there always seemed to be people trying to get rid of tickets outside Lynah too (sometimes including me).

Date: October 28, 2005 03:14PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

That said, there are also usually people (like my dad) standing outside selling/giving away their extra tickets. The key is just getting there early and finding them.[/Q]
Isn't that true in most places? I never needed to take advantage of it, but there always seemed to be people trying to get rid of tickets outside Lynah too (sometimes including me).[/q]

Probably, though I've never noticed it at Lynah. I only mention it at Ingalls because my dad ends up organizing the ticket distribution for his Yale Alumni Club group, and every game I've been to with him, including last year's Cornell at Yale game, he has had extra tickets.

Date: October 28, 2005 03:38PM

The ticket dumpers at Lynah were usually over by the ticket window. So if you used the west entrances to the rink you wouldn't see them. (I suppose it's also possible that times have changed - I haven't been to a home game in over four years now. :-/ )

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: October 28, 2005 03:42PM

A couple years ago I was able to get an extra ticket for a friend at Lynah by going up to the ticket window area half an hour before game time. Always a few people selling would come by.

Yale may sell out, but you can probably still get SRO if you show up decently before gametime. Or is that really no longer the case either, Age? Brown never sells out, not even when it was paired with the Harvard weekend. Now that it's paired with Yale, should be even less of an issue.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (209.2.89.---)
Date: October 29, 2005 04:37AM

Crowd was amazing tonight, notably Section B.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 03:56PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
Yale may sell out, but you can probably still get SRO if you show up decently before gametime. Or is that really no longer the case either, Age? Brown never sells out, not even when it was paired with the Harvard weekend. Now that it's paired with Yale, should be even less of an issue.[/q]
Last year I bought SRO as they were dropping the puck. I ended up with a seat when a Cornell fan with two extra tix gave them to me and my brother to sit down.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login