Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

MSU CORNELL

Posted by Mike K 
MSU CORNELL
Posted by: Mike K (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2005 12:46PM

Cornell better be on their game this weekend. MSU dominated MU in shots so it looks like they are the real deal. Also I hope to see a better turn out of fans this weekend then last weeknd against us18under.

Also with MU tying at home any chance of us getting that #1 spot.

Re: MSU CORNELL
Posted by: Beeeej (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: October 23, 2005 12:53PM

[Q]Mike K Wrote:
Cornell better be on their game this weekend. MSU dominated MU in shots so it looks like they are the real deal. Also I hope to see a better turn out of fans this weekend then last weeknd against us18under.[/q]

There's never been a full house for a pre-season exhibition game as long as I can remember.

[q]Also with MU tying at home any chance of us getting that #1 spot.[/q]

Extremely doubtful, but stranger things have happened. That having been said, it also doesn't matter.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: October 23, 2005 01:13PM

#1 in October is nothing more than a big target.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 23, 2005 01:20PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Mike K Wrote:
Also I hope to see a better turn out of fans this weekend then last weeknd against us18under.[/Q]
There's never been a full house for a pre-season exhibition game as long as I can remember.

[/q]

The exhibition game was not included in the season ticket package for the townies this year (correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly certain it was included for the game against McGill last year). The student turnout was very good (the exhibition ticket was included in the package).

I was definitely impressed with the student sections as far as cheering goes. I was at the top of section E and thought sections D, E, F and G were very vocal and pretty creative, which I didn't expect so early in the season. I think the stampede, as some predicted, may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. At the game the faithful were scattered throughout the "lesser" sections and got some pretty good cheers going. And we were able to help out freshman who were clueless as to the rules, words for cheers, traditions etc. Other than the students not understanding how to clap during the cowbell and booing at no-brainer penalties (which will improve as the season progresses), the crowd was pretty good.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2005 01:23PM

Agreed. My friends and I were able to really get the townies and little kids going over in section N rolleyes . Eh, at this point, I'm just happy to be in the rink.

Speaking of which, as I've had season tickets the previous 3 years, I really don't know how the "day of game" sales go. Does anybody have any insight? Thanks.

Date: October 23, 2005 01:28PM

[Q]BCrespi Wrote:
Speaking of which, as I've had season tickets the previous 3 years, I really don't know how the "day of game" sales go. Does anybody have any insight? Thanks.[/q]

In the past few years, any tickets remaining for Friday's and Saturday's games have gone on sale at 10am on Friday at the Ticket Office, and generally sell out very quickly. I assume they're going to go with a similar set-up this year.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: October 23, 2005 01:34PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

BCrespi Wrote:
Speaking of which, as I've had season tickets the previous 3 years, I really don't know how the "day of game" sales go. Does anybody have any insight? Thanks.[/Q]
In the past few years, any tickets remaining for Friday's and Saturday's games have gone on sale at 10am on Friday at the Ticket Office, and generally sell out very quickly. I assume they're going to go with a similar set-up this year.

Beeeej[/q]

Yeah unfortunately as I recall there were only a few games that they sold single game tickets. Army, Sacred Heart, Canisus, Princeton and Yale (had a handfull) and maybe the RPI game were the only ones I think they sold single game tickets. But, they had a lot available for the playoffs against Clarkson.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2005 01:35PM by redhair34.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 23, 2005 01:38PM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:
Other than the students ... booing at no-brainer penalties (which will improve as the season progresses), the crowd was pretty good. [/q]

I wouldn't bet on it :)

Date: October 23, 2005 01:42PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

redhair34 Wrote:
Other than the students ... booing at no-brainer penalties (which will improve as the season progresses), the crowd was pretty good. [/Q]
I wouldn't bet on it [/q]

well at least some of them will learn how to clap during the cowbell :-P

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: October 23, 2005 02:15PM

[Q]BCrespi Wrote:
Agreed. My friends and I were able to really get the townies and little kids going over in section N . Eh, at this point, I'm just happy to be in the rink.[/q]

Careful, there. A lot of those townies have seen 10x the number of Cornell games as you. For that matter, many of the little kids may have.

The town/gown Faithful distinction is old and irrelevant. Many of the rowdiest, and most of the most knowledgable, fans are townies. Respect -- look into it.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: October 23, 2005 02:22PM

Minnesota-Duluth was ranked #1 last season in October. Enough said.

Date: October 23, 2005 02:24PM

I just noticed that MSU is playing the U18 team on Tuesday night. That could be a good indicator of just how dangerous this MSU team really is.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2005 03:09PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

I just noticed that MSU is playing the U18 team on Tuesday night. That could be a good indicator of just how dangerous this MSU team really is.[/q]

Or it could be an indicator of a young team playing their 3rd road game in 5 nights.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2005 03:12PM

Woah, easy. There was certainly no disrespect meant there, and I hope most people didn't take it as such. I was just continuing the talk about distributing dedicated fans around the rink, and thought I'd make a joke. I certainly appreciate the excellent fans and hope to be in their position someday. It's Sunday afternoon, relax.

Date: October 23, 2005 03:13PM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:

I just noticed that MSU is playing the U18 team on Tuesday night. That could be a good indicator of just how dangerous this MSU team really is.[/Q]
Or it could be an indicator of a young team playing their 3rd road game in 5 nights.[/q]

That team plays a very tough schedule and plays all the time not to mention almost all of their games being on the road. Three road games in five nights means nothing.

Date: October 23, 2005 03:21PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Tub(a) Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:

I just noticed that MSU is playing the U18 team on Tuesday night. That could be a good indicator of just how dangerous this MSU team really is.[/Q]
Or it could be an indicator of a young team playing their 3rd road game in 5 nights.[/Q]
That team plays a very tough schedule and plays all the time not to mention almost all of their games being on the road. Three road games in five nights means nothing.[/q]

It will be interesting to see if Comley is going to start his regulars or let some of them have the night off. MSU is pretty banged up and I'm sure some of the team would benefit from some extra rest. Unlike us, MSU doesn't really need this exhibition as a "warmup." If he sends out the same team that faced Michigan then I do think the game will be a good indicator.

Posted by: CKinsland (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 23, 2005 04:46PM

[/Q]
The exhibition game was not included in the season ticket package for the townies this year (correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly certain it was included for the game against McGill last year). The student turnout was very good (the exhibition ticket was included in the package).
[/Q]

Well, I'm a townie (who used to be a student). The exhibition tickets were available for purchase with season tickets, but were charged on top of the season ticket price. I don't recall last year, but I don't remember paying separately for the exhibition game. As I recall, the exhibition game last year was printed on the same big sheet as the season tickets, this year they came separately printed. Of course, the playoff tickets are an additional charge, and they were printed with the rest of the season tickets (which they haven't been in the past) so I don't know how indicative that is.

I must say I was a little surprised by the poor attendance on the townie side...personally I've been waiting anxiously for the season to start since it ended last year. I'd have gone to see us play the Little Red.

CK

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2005 06:01PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

I just noticed that MSU is playing the U18 team on Tuesday night. That could be a good indicator of just how dangerous this MSU team really is.[/q]
Seems to me a tie at Yost and a shut-out win over North Dakota, both accomplished with a sizable advantage in shots on goal, indicate they're pretty darn "dangerous."

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 23, 2005 06:28PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:

Seems to me a tie at Yost and a shut-out win over North Dakota, both accomplished with a sizable advantage in shots on goal, indicate they're pretty darn "dangerous."[/q]
All true, but are they a test like the U-18 team? Well, probably.

Wake up Section B
Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2005 09:15PM

Section B was very quiet and tired Friday night. We had a lot of new people there this year. Not only did these people have no clue what the hell was going on, but they also simply didn't try or didn't care. For the majority of the first two periods, section B stood silently. It was pretty sad. In the first and third period where there was a faceoff on our side, people didn't even put their arms up to create distraction for the opposing team goalie. A lot of people just stood still and mumbled during the "Let's Go Red" cheers. And also, at one point I even caught some people cheering for the USA U18 team! Maybe they were super patriotic people who considered both teams to be "their" team and felt the need to support both teams. Well guess what, we have no room for that kind of attitude! nut

If you are new and you're reading this, you can learn the Lynah cheers at [www.elynah.com]
When I (or someone else) yell "Hey Vicari, you're a sieve.. You're not a sieve.. You're a funnel.." everyone else should know the rest, not just some eight people carrying the cheer. C'mon people, lets not be like a bunch of harvard fans this weekend. MSU is a safety school but their hockey program is no joke. Lets give them hell.

Re: Wake up Section B
Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2005 09:35PM

[Q]Oat Wrote:

Section B was very quiet and tired Friday night. We had a lot of new people there this year. Not only did these people have no clue what the hell was going on, but they also simply didn't try or didn't care. For the majority of the first two periods, section B stood silently. It was pretty sad. In the first and third period where there was a faceoff on our side, people didn't even put their arms up to create distraction for the opposing team goalie. A lot of people just stood still and mumbled during the "Let's Go Red" cheers. And also, at one point I even caught some people cheering for the USA U18 team! Maybe they were super patriotic people who considered both teams to be "their" team and felt the need to support both teams. Well guess what, we have no room for that kind of attitude!

If you are new and you're reading this, you can learn the Lynah cheers at
When I (or someone else) yell "Hey Vicari, you're a sieve.. You're not a sieve.. You're a funnel.." everyone else should know the rest, not just some eight people carrying the cheer. C'mon people, lets not be like a bunch of harvard fans this weekend. MSU is a safety school but their hockey program is no joke. Lets give them hell.[/q]

Fair points, but don't go overboard expecting newbies to know Black Hole in their first game. Keep doing it, and it'll catch on eventually.

But maybe it's true....section D is the new section B.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2005 09:52PM

Fair points....

While I was in the midst of doing a U.S.AAAAAAAA..... (SUCKS!) chant, and some other visiting team jeering, there were a couple of clowns in B with the balls to tell me, "Hey, shut up, we love the USA". This frustrated me to the point where I was ready to chokes a bitch, ala Wayne Brady on Chappelle's Show. Gladly, my desire to remain in the arena was restraint enough. Clearly there are some dudes in B that just don't get it yet, hopefully they'll figure it out by Friday. It's go time!

Posted by: dbilmes (---.0.126.65.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 23, 2005 10:19PM

Section B is pretty crucial because of its proximity to the opposing goalie for 2 periods and its angle on the face-offs for distraction. Even if D and the others end up being the louder ones this year, Lynah still needs the B'ers to do some of the basic stuff.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2005 10:41PM

[Q]dbilmes Wrote:

Section B is pretty crucial because of its proximity to the opposing goalie for 2 periods and its angle on the face-offs for distraction. Even if D and the others end up being the louder ones this year, Lynah still needs the B'ers to do some of the basic stuff.[/q]
Section A gets no respect.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.0.126.65.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 23, 2005 10:53PM

Whoops. All that goes for A, too. ;-)

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2005 12:26AM

Where exactly are their home games?

Date: October 24, 2005 12:29AM

[Q]Ack Wrote:

Where exactly are their home games?[/q]

Ann Arbor

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2005 12:29AM

[Q]Ack Wrote:

Where exactly are their home games?[/q]

Somewhere in Michigan. I don't remember exactly, but it's on the schedule.

What isn't on the schedule is another example of 3 games in 5 nights whistle

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.18.135.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 24, 2005 12:49AM

[Q]CM cWo 44 Wrote:

Fair points....

While I was in the midst of doing a U.S.AAAAAAAA..... (SUCKS!) chant, and some other visiting team jeering, there were a couple of clowns in B with the balls to tell me, "Hey, shut up, we love the USA". This frustrated me to the point where I was ready to chokes a bitch, ala Wayne Brady on Chappelle's Show. Gladly, my desire to remain in the arena was restraint enough. Clearly there are some dudes in B that just don't get it yet, hopefully they'll figure it out by Friday. It's go time![/q]

Perhaps they were just disappointed that you failed to yell the full team name, "United States National Under Eighteen Teeeeam."
For one, you should always endeavor to yell the full name. RPI doesn't have the same mocking ring as Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute. OSU has nothing on the ohio state univeristy. MSU pales in comparison to Minnesota State University at Mankato or Michigan State for that matter.
Further, if you shorten the under 18s name to just "USA" you do send mixed messages about who you are really mocking. I probably wouldn't have joined someone mockingly shouting "USA". It speaks nothing of my level of alertness.

Date: October 24, 2005 12:54AM

[Q]dbilmes Wrote:

Whoops. All that goes for A, too. [/q]

No, no, dont apologize to them. They chose an inferior section and must live with it. :-D

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.9.178.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 24, 2005 01:36AM

[Q]French Rage Wrote:

dbilmes Wrote:

Whoops. All that goes for A, too. [/Q]
No, no, dont apologize to them. They chose an inferior section and must live with it. [/q]

Or they chose to join the band and travel for free B-]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 24, 2005 01:44AM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:

Section A gets no respect.[/q]

Section A went to their doctor, Dr. Vinnie Boombatz. He said to them, "you're really sick." Section A said, "I want a second opion." He said, "All right, you're ugly, too."

No respect...no respect at all.

Ticket office has some tickets for sale this weekend
Posted by: redhair34 (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: October 25, 2005 01:14PM

[cornellbigred.collegesports.com]

I'm guessing this is because the visitor allotment was not used up.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2005 01:16PM by redhair34.

MSU 5- USNDP 2
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.10.212.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 25, 2005 10:33PM

MSU goes 2/7 on the power play, builds a 4-0 lead and cruises 5-2. Excellent blow by blow account at the MSU athletics page: [msuspartans.collegesports.com]

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 25, 2005 10:48PM

interesting to see they were outshot at the end of the 2nd period yet up 5-1.. i doubt they had called off the dogs by that point of the game..

Posted by: Hirzel '89 (---.bain.com)
Date: October 26, 2005 10:05AM

From the recap:

"MSU scored their four first-period goals in a span of three minutes, one second, and all on consecutive shots."

Scary

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: October 26, 2005 10:30AM

Looks like MSU forward Tim Kennedy will be out with a broken hand suffered last night

[board.uscho.com]

Date: October 26, 2005 10:43AM

[Q]Pete Godenschwager Wrote:

Looks like MSU forward Tim Kennedy will be out with a broken hand suffered last night

[/q]

They apparently will also not have David Booth, their top face-off man, who has been out with a shoulder injury.

Date: October 26, 2005 06:25PM

[Q]Hirzel '89 Wrote:

From the recap:

"MSU scored their four first-period goals in a span of three minutes, one second, and all on consecutive shots."

Scary[/q]

US-18 pull their sieve...? Wow.

Date: October 27, 2005 12:05PM

Thirty-one hours left!!

Woohoo!!! It's hockey season!!!

Sorry. Document review just isn't that thrilling.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2005 12:05PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2005 11:58AM

hmm, are there tickets left for tomorrow night I wonder? A trip from buffalo after my wife gets out of work would be cutting it close...

if anyone is interested, the writers for each conference at uscho have their previews up
the ecachl writer (McDonald ) picked a cornell sweep and the ccha writer (weston) picked a split
[www.uscho.com]
[www.uscho.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2005 12:00PM by jy3.

Posted by: jhib (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2005 05:27PM

[Q]jy3 Wrote:

if anyone is interested, the writers for each conference at uscho have their previews up
the ecachl writer (McDonald ) picked a cornell sweep and the ccha writer (weston) picked a split[/q]

Can't say I disagree with the split prediction, but Weston sure likes 3-2 and 4-2 scores, huh?

Posted by: jbeaber1998 (---.MCB.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: October 28, 2005 06:21PM

No Free Audio!?!?! Dammit!

Date: October 28, 2005 06:56PM

Lots of empty seats just five minutes from faceoff.

Posted by: Jay 99 (38.117.177.---)
Date: October 28, 2005 06:58PM

Damn, my video feed just cut out 5 minutes before the game starts.

Posted by: kaaren (---.insight.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2005 07:03PM

For those of us who are out of town on business, will someone please provide us with a play-by-play description of the game as it progresses? PLEASE!!!

LGR!!!!!!!!

Date: October 28, 2005 07:03PM

I hope that wasnt section B they just showed. :-(

Date: October 28, 2005 07:04PM

[Q]kaaren Wrote:

For those of us who are out of town on business, will someone please provide us with a play-by-play description of the game as it progresses? PLEASE!!!

LGR!!!!!!!![/q]
You could try following on Gametracker, as well as the game thread--if we have one.

Date: October 29, 2005 01:45AM

What crazy out-of-town scoreboard results...but interesting.

Colorado College dominated their game, but it seems others were upset: tOSU, Michigan, BC, Minnesota, BU too.

SECTION A & B = SO GOOD
Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 03:37AM

I loved section B tonight! Everyone was so loud and active and creatively rude to MSU players. I would say this crowd was louder than last year. The intensity and the amount of energy. Maybe it was the nature of the game (fast-paced, physical, and evenly-matched against a really good team). Anyway, the volume was really good. Now we need to work on rhythm. We're chanting everything too friggin fast. I'm talking about "Let's Go Red!" and "Itsall your fault!" etc.. These are both 3-beat cheers and we should NOT be doing it faster than 2 beats per second. "It's all your fault" is much much more powerful and effective if we do it slower.
The drummer of the band should regulate the tempo.

A large portion of the crowd still didn't know the sieve-funnel-vacuum-blackhole cheer.

If we get those right, I think we'll have very little room to improve.

What do you guys think?

Date: October 29, 2005 04:27AM

As the token old guy who watched the webcast, right as the game started they showed a student section (dunno which one) and it looked only a third full at best, so I feared the worst. But during the game, the shots of the student section looked completely packed, and I could hear the various cheers pretty clearly, so it seems everything filled out and people learned the important cheers. (Note: people really get behind the "bend over" cheer.)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:33AM

[Q]A large portion of the crowd still didn't know the sieve-funnel-vacuum-blackhole cheer.[/Q]

I can state for a fact that a large portion of the crowd hasn't known that cheer since the fall of 99 (and probaby well before, but that's all I can comment on :) ). That has always been a "only the hardcore fans" cheer. If you can change that, great, but it's nothing having to do with this year.

Re: SECTION A & B = SO GOOD
Posted by: gatitita '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:50AM

[Q]Oat Wrote:

I loved section B tonight! Everyone was so loud and active and creatively rude to MSU players. I would say this crowd was louder than last year. The intensity and the amount of energy. Maybe it was the nature of the game (fast-paced, physical, and evenly-matched against a really good team). Anyway, the volume was really good. Now we need to work on rhythm. We're chanting everything too friggin fast. I'm talking about "Let's Go Red!" and "Itsall your fault!" etc.. These are both 3-beat cheers and we should NOT be doing it faster than 2 beats per second. "It's all your fault" is much much more powerful and effective if we do it slower.
The drummer of the band should regulate the tempo.

A large portion of the crowd still didn't know the sieve-funnel-vacuum-blackhole cheer.

If we get those right, I think we'll have very little room to improve.

What do you guys think?[/q]

I thought section B was definitely pretty good, but could be better. i was very disappointed at how few people were there a few minutes before the game, but yes, they did show up. Yes, the beat was too fast. I especially noticed it clapping TO the band, when they played Davy, and we were completely off the beat. we're right next to them. its not that hard. dont rush them. speaking of the band, the drummers, as much as they do the "Let's Go Red" after penalties etc, cannot legally play when the puck is on the ice, therefore they really can't regulate the other cheers, nor would we want them to i think.

the people lost the blackhole cheer when the people who started it missed "vacuum" nut . i don't think they will miss it ever, ever again (or at least I hope not!)

over all, i think it will be good. a friend of mine was visibly getting into Nightingale's head. we need more of that, as always :-P

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:58AM

[Q]gatitita '05 Wrote:

I thought section B was definitely pretty good, but could be better. i was very disappointed at how few people were there a few minutes before the game, but yes, they did show up.[/q]

I don't like how there seemed to be the same exact hole right in the middle of section B at the start of last night's game and last week's game against the U.S. Under-18 team. Granted, I was in two different places for the two games, so maybe I'm seeing things wrong; nevertheless, I hope that this doesn't become a regular occurrence in the middle of B.

[q]the people lost the blackhole cheer when the people who started it missed "vacuum" . i don't think they will miss it ever, ever again (or at least I hope not!)[/q]

A friend and I tried to start the black hole cheer a few years ago, and we totally botched it up. And that's why I'll probably never start the black hole cheer again in my life.

Re: Black Hole
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.77.237.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 12:26PM

I've always believed that Black Hole is most effective with just one, "you just suck at the end." It's more powerful when it just hangs there in silence. The ways it's dragged on and faded out in recent years brought it down. Last night on the webcast I noticed that the "you just suck" was three times exactly and then there was silence. I guess that's a happy medium between the one time which will probably never return and the fade out so common the last few years.

The brutal dragged out Swanee is still a mess though...

Date: October 29, 2005 12:35PM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

I've always believed that Black Hole is most effective with just one, "you just suck at the end." It's more powerful when it just hangs there in silence. The ways it's dragged on and faded out in recent years brought it down. Last night on the webcast I noticed that the "you just suck" was three times exactly and then there was silence. I guess that's a happy medium between the one time which will probably never return and the fade out so common the last few years.

The brutal dragged out Swanee is still a mess though...[/q]

The fade out has been common a lot longer than just recently.

I don't claim to know how it was when the cheer started, but the "original" Live and Lynah CD (made in 1997) has the black hole cheer with a fading out "you just suck," and that's really the only version I can recall from around '97 through today.

Date: October 29, 2005 12:38PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

A friend and I tried to start the black hole cheer a few years ago, and we totally botched it up. And that's why I'll probably never start the black hole cheer again in my life.[/q]

I feel your pain. I don't think I ever messed it up, but I am not ashamed to admit that every time I started it I first went through the order with my friends and insisted they do it with me. :-)

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 02:48PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:
I don't claim to know how it was when the cheer started, but the "original" Live and Lynah CD (made in 1997) has the black hole cheer with a fading out "you just suck," and that's really the only version I can recall from around '97 through today.
[/q]

That's around when two different cheers started to be screwed up by, strangely, too much rigidity in one case and too little in the other.

The "Black Hole" cheer has been covered above. It's better with just one final "you just suck." Trailing off is bad. I agree that, in the almost impossibility of going back to the first version, a strict three "you just suck"s is more effective.

The other cheer in question, which has been hurt by rigidity in my opinion, is the post-goal cheering. In the old days (Oi!), the "sieve-ing" and "faulting" could, depending on the stupidity of the goal, go on *forever.* Really, I can remember going on and on and on and on to great effect. Now, it's 7 and 3, I believe. Too rigid, too Michigan, and, to me, it takes away from the bedlam that should be associated with great (from our side) and stupid (for their side) goals.

Ah well, here's to the old days.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 02:52PM

8 and 4, though the 8th "Sieve!" is usually much weaker as large chunks of the group draw breath for the "It's All Your Fault!"s.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 04:37PM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:

The other cheer in question, which has been hurt by rigidity in my opinion, is the post-goal cheering. In the old days (Oi!), the "sieve-ing" and "faulting" could, depending on the stupidity of the goal, go on *forever.* Really, I can remember going on and on and on and on to great effect. Now, it's 7 and 3, I believe. Too rigid, too Michigan, and, to me, it takes away from the bedlam that should be associated with great (from our side) and stupid (for their side) goals.

Ah well, here's to the old days.[/q]

A very good way to describe something that I was unable to put into words. During our trip to Yost, I noticed the robotic 7-sieve only.

Let's not forget the other cheer where silence used to be golden: "Ahhhhh....SEE YA!" The finalistic echo was about as effective as the clink of the penalty box door. "Asshole" was only reserved for those truly deserving. It was added about once or twice per season.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 09:46AM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

Let's not forget the other cheer where silence used to be golden: "Ahhhhh....SEE YA!" The finalistic echo was about as effective as the clink of the penalty box door. "Asshole" was only reserved for those truly deserving. It was added about once or twice per season.[/q]

I felt the need to use it twice this weekend. Although I bit my tongue the second time (as the guy who messed up Pegs was going to the showers) because I was down in the corner in A where some ushers were watching awfully closely. So I called him a punk and a jerk. Of course, I need not have worried, since the guy in front of me who told Feola "I'm gonna kill your fucking family" just got a lecture.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: HeafDog (---.hbo.com)
Date: November 03, 2005 05:56PM

Chalk me up as an older guy who's in favor of the higher rigidity with sieve/fault. Sorry, but I think it sounds pretty cool. Trailing off leads to disorder. Disorder leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

You can't really argue against trailing off with one cheer and argue for it with another.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 04, 2005 01:27AM

[Q]HeafDog Wrote:

Trailing off leads to disorder. Disorder leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

You can't really argue against trailing off with one cheer and argue for it with another.[/q]

Freakin' Buddhists rolleyes

Besides, I thought anger leads to the dark side. :-P

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 04, 2005 01:50PM

[Q]HeafDog Wrote:
You can't really argue against trailing off with one cheer and argue for it with another.[/q]

Sure I can: the two cheers are used in completely different situations. The Black Hole cheer is usually a second-period cheer and works best when started in a dead spot. It goes:
Silence
Intro
   "Hey Dan, you're not..."
Cheer
   "... a goalie, you're a sieve..."
End
   "... you just suck!"
Silence

The goal cheer (quite obviously) happens whenever a goal is scored:

Goal
Wild Cheering
"Davy," Band
Intro
   "1, 2, 3, 4:  we want more!"
Sieve
   "Sieve, sieve, sieve, sieve, sieve, sieve, sieve."
Cheer
   "It's all your fault!  It's all your fault!  It's all your fault!  It's all your fault!"
Wild Cheering
Mintz
   "The *fourth* Cornell goal..."
Names
   "San-ci-mi-no!"
Cheering

The black hole cheer is a cheer; the goal "cheer" is an event. Hence, depending on the character of the event, it should go on longer or should be a short celebration and let's get back to hockey. For example, did Boucher really deserve only a 7, 4 and out? People should've been shouting "It's all your fault!" at him for the *rest of the game*.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login