Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Hostility of Lynah

Posted by ctenah 
Hostility of Lynah
Posted by: ctenah (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 22, 2005 12:17PM

Does anyone know of any actual articles online or in print about the hostility of Lynah? We've all heard and know Lynah to be the worst place to be an away team, but has there ever been an official list or even article? Or is this simply a well-known reputation?

Re: Hostility of Lynah
Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 22, 2005 12:34PM

Go to USCHO and do a search for "Lynah." You'll find a fair number of links to stories that mention Lynah's reputation.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: October 22, 2005 12:52PM

There was a NT Times feature in the 70's which discussed the crowd. No idea what year (if I had to guess, I'd say 1977).

Mike Eruzione quote
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2005 12:55PM

Here's a Mike Eruzione interview on CSTV.com:

[www.cstv.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: October 22, 2005 01:35PM

nm
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2005 01:36PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RedAR (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 22, 2005 01:39PM

IIRC, There was also a Sports Illustrated article maybe about 4 or 5 years back. I don't have any more details than that.

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.cas.psu.edu)
Date: October 22, 2005 02:45PM

These are some of my favorites, centering on the Harvard at Cornell game:

[insidecollegehockey.com]

[www.wbng.com]

edit: I had a third article listed, but it doesn't go to the correct site. It was an article called "Hockey à la Halibut" and was found by searching on google with the following terms: lynah fish harvard serves. You might want to check out the cached version of the article.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2005 02:49PM by Bio '04.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.0.126.65.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 22, 2005 02:57PM

I always like the ones from the Harvard perspective:

[thecrimson.com]

[thecrimson.com]

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: October 22, 2005 03:13PM

The first one is well doing and respectful of a powerful opponent.

The second is the ravings of a whiny little bitch.

Date: October 22, 2005 03:28PM

Aye, that last one I'll agree is just some uninformed prissy whore. Even I'll defend hotelies in this case. nut

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: October 22, 2005 03:30PM

I think a lot of these opposing reporters already have the story written before they come.

Date: October 22, 2005 03:39PM

True, they probably just fill in the score details or whatnot to make it accurate.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 22, 2005 03:41PM

[Q]ctenah Wrote:

True, they probably just fill in the score details or whatnot to make it accurate.[/q]To save time they even include the sentence Cornell won the game [TBD] to [TBD].

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.med.cornell.edu)
Date: October 23, 2005 12:07AM

[Q]Dov Grumet-Morris motioned to the small boy sitting in his father’s arms near Harvard’s end of the rink. The boy was wearing Cornell red, as were the surrounding fans, but the Crimson goaltender still gently tossed the puck over the boards as Harvard finished its warm-up. The boy grinned with glee as his father handed him the puck, but a voice interrupted the scene of holiday cheer.

“You still suck!” screamed the red-clad fan behind the pair.[/Q]

Heh. That was me. A few (anonymous) seconds of my fifteen minutes of fame. You know, if fame can be anonymous.

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2005 02:17AM

We made it into that picture too...awesome. (Fake) V-necks are an embarrassment to Sucks hockey, and Sucks hockey ____

Re: Michigan Yost Rink
Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2005 02:51AM

Some people say that Yost Rink at Michigan is worst than Lynah. But my friends at Michigan even shamelessly admit that they steal chants from us. Other people at Michigan, however, falsely believe the opposite. They brainwashed themselves into believing that we stole all the traditions from them. They try to be as heckling in their cheering practice and spirit as we are.

Re: Michigan Yost Rink
Date: October 23, 2005 03:03AM

that's just not right

Posted by: dafein (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 23, 2005 11:23PM

I went to Yost this weekend for the Michigan-MSU game and it is just a totally different atmosphere than Lynah. It is an old building with a lot of history but they put millions of dollars into renovations and it has somewhat of a corporate feel to it. A lot of big corporate sponsors and what not just littering the place with advertisements. Also, the place seems to be more of a family environment. There are tons of familes there and the student section, although vocal is not that large. The townies are pretty into the cheers though, I gotta give them credit for that. Their chants are not exactly the same as ours but are variations. Its hard for me to make a judgment about which one is louder or tougher to play at because I am biased but I'd say Lynah. The aucoustics at Lynah with the low roof just make the place really loud and hostile. Also, I'm not such a big fan of their band... its alumni and they dont really lead any cheers. ( it may have been alumni just for this weekend?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2005 11:46PM by dafein.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.18.135.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 23, 2005 11:46PM

[Q]dafein Wrote:

Also, I'm not such a big fan of [Michigan's] band... its alumni and they dont really lead any cheers.

[/q]

I'm not overwhelmed by their band either (from what I've seen on tv and in Buffalo), but I think the situation would have been different if there wasn't Michigan football on the road saturday. It's a student band at Michigan... unlike the Vermont gang of local resident cowbell players... I mean band. They probably just needed help with the marching band (which likely includes some members of the hockey band) on the road.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2005 11:52PM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

dafein Wrote:

Also, I'm not such a big fan of band... its alumni and they dont really lead any cheers.

[/Q]
I'm not overwhelmed by their band either (from what I've seen on tv and in Buffalo), but I think the situation would have been different if there wasn't Michigan football on the road saturday. It's a student band at Michigan... unlike the Vermont gang of local resident cowbell players... I mean band. They probably just needed help with the marching band (which likely includes some members of the hockey band) on the road. [/q]

There are a couple of threads on USCHO talking about their various issues. Their athletics department is concerned about their public image and is instructing the band to play over "offensive" cheers. Sad.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 23, 2005 11:58PM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:There are a couple of threads on USCHO talking about their various issues. Their athletics department is concerned about their public image and is instructing the band to play over "offensive" cheers. Sad.[/q]
Then you've probably never heard their version of "you goon." I don't feel like googling it, but it gets one word longer every year and is really, really vulgar. If Yost is a family environment I'm not at all surprised that they want to play over organized cursing.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2005 12:16AM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

Tub(a) Wrote:There are a couple of threads on USCHO talking about their various issues. Their athletics department is concerned about their public image and is instructing the band to play over "offensive" cheers. Sad.[/Q]
Then you've probably never heard their version of "you goon." I don't feel like googling it, but it gets one word longer every year and is really, really vulgar. If Yost is a family environment I'm not at all surprised that they want to play over organized cursing.[/q]

I have. I think it's offensive. Some people may not. I don't know that Michigan markets to families. I just don't like the idea of athletics telling bands what to do when the bands don't actually participate in the evil activity.

Incidentally, while doing a google for the word they added this year, I came across [www.dailyorange.com]

[Q]At some point over the course of the 2002 football season, the Syracuse University Marching Band effectively stopped playing SU's rousing fight song during games.

Instead, it seemed, the band only played the fight song prior to the start of the game, as the football team spilled out from the locker room tunnel and onto the turf.

Surprisingly, few people cared.

After each touchdown, instead of playing "Down the Field," the band played another song: Gary Glitter's "Rock 'n' Roll Part 2," a nationwide sports arena staple for years.

The student section clearly appreciated the change. Before long, the students had created lyrics for the otherwise wordless tune: "Fuck 'em up, fuck 'em up, go SU/We're gonna kick the shit outta you." [/Q]

You Goon?
Posted by: nyiballs (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2005 04:01PM

You mean it's "You Goon!!??" I always thought it was "You lose!"rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes
They I would ask people why the fight song is "Give my regards to Broadway" and hum along since I don't know the words to the Alma Mater.

Re: You Goon?
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 12:14AM

Oh, don't even go there! help

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 25, 2005 12:12PM

does the long penalty cheer for michigan still have "Wildfong! Douchebag!" at the end?
that was how it was ~5 yrs ago when I went to a game

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login