Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Red-White Post Game

Posted by calgARI '07 
Red-White Post Game
Posted by: calgARI '07 (209.2.88.---)
Date: October 15, 2005 09:19PM

Pretty much everything that happened in the game was overshadowed by what happened at the end. Gleed and Moulson fought and I originally thought it was staged, but by the looks on their faces after it was broken up, it was definitely not staged. It was really really weird. For what it's worth, Moulson definitely won the fight.
Rough lines looked as follows:
Moulson-Bitz-Scott
Abbott-Pegoraro-Sawada
Barlow-Abbott-Carefoot

There were a bunch of different combinations with the other forwards. This was the first day so I don't necessary expect the above lines to be set in stone.

Other thoughts:

FRESHMEN (in no particular order):
- Barlow looked a bit tentative but grew more confortable as the game progressed. He has great moves and looks to have the potential to be a dynamic offensive player.
- Kindret showed flashes and looked to have mature game in that he has a filled out frame and skates pretty well. He doesn't look like a big time offensive player, but I think he'll be a solid player.
- Connors was invisible.
- Seminoff looked really solid. He is small but solid. Moved the puck well and looked comfortable.
- Mugford is not a pretty skater but he was working hard and getting involved in the play.
- Davenport got knocked down a couple times and didn't look nearly as comfortable as Seminoff. He too is on the small side.
- Kennedy looked pretty good but definitely needs to fill out his frame. He reminds me of Iggulden. Skates pretty well and positions himself well. As a center, I think he will definitely play.

SOPHOMORES:
- Pokuluk looks very very confident and his skating has improved a little bit.
- Krantz looked decent and got a couple of very hard shots off.
- Scott showed more energy than any other player and looked more confident with the puck.
- Sawada hit a couple of guys very hard and looked how I remember him which is good.

JUNIORS:
- Bitz looked better than I have seen in the past and was moving well.
- Glover looked really good. He has gotten even bigger and has filled out. He looked very very solid and even skated the puck a couple times.
- O"Byrne looked how I remember him but appears to be more confident.
- Didn't notice Carefoot much but he looked fine.
- McCutcheon was buzzing a lot and was able to creat a good amount of chances. He scored a goal but also knocked down pretty hard a couple times.
- Fontas (transfer from Lowell) looked really good. I liked him a lot. He has good size and skates very well. He scored a goal and looked very comfortable.
- Salmela looked small but good with the puck.

SENIORS:
- Cam Abbott was buzzing all over and was creating every time he was out.
- Didn't notice Chris Abbott much but he looked fine when I did see him.
- Moulson looked very confident and looked better in his own end. He scored a goal in the game and scored in the shortout and created a bunch of chances.
- Pegoraro looked fine.
- Didn't see Gleed out there much tonight for some reason.
- Chabot was actually really really good.

Again, just a very weird feeling after that fight.
Take all this with a grain of salt just because they skated all day today and it was the first official day of practice so I would imagine things appeared differently than they may actually be.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2005 09:31PM by calgARI '07.

Re: Red-White Post Game
Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 15, 2005 09:24PM

Ari...what about McKee? I agree about Connors; at times it looked like he was shying away from the action.

The fight was very odd...did anyone see what provoked it? I thought it might have been staged as well, but then I thought about all of the families in the stands and I can't believe Schafer would allow that to fly. The White team did have an unusually long huddle right before they dropped gloves.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2005 09:26PM by redhair34.

Posted by: Doug (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 15, 2005 09:30PM

Did anyone see if they said anything afterwords, or exchanged hands in the line? I wasn't able to tell, although it looked like Moulson was muttering something as he passed Gleed.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)

by Barlow, in the Juniors section, did you mea Salmela? Did DiLeo play at all in goal?

Fontas is able to practice with the team, and just not play?

Thanks for the recap..

McKee did not look good and looked pretty sluggish. To be fair, he was on the ice all day and Red team had a much better group of defensemen than the White team did. Bitz and Chris Abbott were going at it a bit in the second period but didn't see Gleed and Moulson at all. Gleed was not out there much tonight. I remember Murray and Hornby used to really go at it during the Red-White games.

DiLeo wasn't even on the bench

Date: October 15, 2005 09:32PM

DiLeo hurt his back and did not dress.
When Moulson and Gleed passed each other in the line, Moulson was saying something and Gleed was shaking his head pretty angirly (at least from what I could tell).

Date: October 15, 2005 09:34PM

Ok, thats what I thought I saw too. I am also really curious as to what happened here.

Did anyone notice any of the club players out there? #23, Matt Kaufman, looked to be a pretty good skater and got a surprising ammount of playing time... do you think this means anything?

Date: October 15, 2005 09:35PM

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:

by Barlow, in the Juniors section, did you mea Salmela? Did DiLeo play at all in goal?

Fontas is able to practice with the team, and just not play?

Thanks for the recap..[/q]

Yeah I meant Salmela. Fontas can practice with the team but can't play until next season as far as I know but I believe he'll be a junior then. My understanding of the rule is that if you transfer to a school out of conference you only lose a semester but when Ben Lovejoy transferred to Dartmouth from BC he sat out the whole year. It would be huge if Fontas could play in January. He would add a great deal of depth and would be very good on the third line in an Iggulden-like role.

Date: October 15, 2005 09:36PM

[Q]Doug Wrote:

Ok, thats what I thought I saw too. I am also really curious as to what happened here.

Did anyone notice any of the club players out there? #23, Matt Kaufman, looked to be a pretty good skater and got a surprising ammount of playing time... do you think this means anything?[/q]

There is no way any of those guys will be on the team.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 10:04PM

Among the freshmen, Seminoff impressed me most. We should expect big things from him.

Chabot made some great saves during the game, though I wonder how he would have done if he had to face the other group of forwards instead.

With regards to the fight, if it had been any other two players, I don't think I would worry about it. But when a captain and assistant go at it...well, let's just say I hope they settle whatever is going on soon.

Date: October 15, 2005 10:08PM

For reference, in case anyone cares, here are the team rosters:

Red
1 Louis Chabot
2 Ryan O'Byrne
3 Jared Seminoff
4 Sasha Pokulok
8 Chris Fontas
9 Matt Connors
10 Mark McCutcheon
16 Ryan Kindret
18 Mike Kennedy
21 Tyler Mugford
22 Dan Glover
24 Matt Moulson
26 Topher Scott
29 Byron Bitz

White
5 Jon Gleed
6 Evan Salmela
7 Taylor Davenport
8 Peter Strang
11 Mitch Carefoot
12 Raymond Sawada
14 Cam Abbott
15 Daniel Pegoraro
17 Doug Krantz
19 Chris Abbott
20 Evan Barlow
23 Matt Kaufman
26 Matt Hedge
28 Matt Morgan
31 David McKee

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.vnnyca.adelphia.net)
Date: October 15, 2005 10:17PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Doug Wrote:

Did anyone notice any of the club players out there? #23, Matt Kaufman, looked to be a pretty good skater and got a surprising ammount of playing time... do you think this means anything?[/Q]
There is no way any of those guys will be on the team.[/q]

Never count out a club hockey player. :-D

Posted by: sullim4 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 15, 2005 10:30PM

Who were the officials in this game? I thought they did a pretty good job considering the horrid officiating the ECAC has had the last couple years.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 10:37PM

I'm not convinced that the fight wasnt staged... Gleed's helmet came off alittle to easily for it to be real, and what about gleed's fight strap? those things are near impossible to break, I think it might have been unhooked...

I might be wrong though

Posted by: Daniel (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 10:39PM

After the fight, I looked up at coach Shafer in the press box, and he was making the "cut it" signal (hands making a cutting motion on the throat). This was after the fight was broken up. He looked pissed, and if you noticed, they stopped the clock with 49 seconds to go. Also, is there a reason Gleed didn't participate in the shootout?

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 10:39PM

but then... what would be the point of staging a fight? it was pretty much the most bizarre thing i've ever seen

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 10:41PM

Baker was the head ref!

Date: October 15, 2005 10:46PM

I thought gleed took a shot... I may be wrong though

Date: October 15, 2005 10:46PM

he did; it went wide

Re: Gleed was definitely in the shoot out
Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 10:47PM

Gleed definitely took a shot. I took a picture of him during the shoot out.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: October 15, 2005 10:48PM

How did the audience react to the fight? Booing, I hope.

Date: October 15, 2005 10:52PM

[Q]French Rage Wrote:

How did the audience react to the fight? Booing, I hope.[/q]

No, no booing. It was silent and startled at least where I was. It was really weird.

Posted by: Daniel (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 10:53PM

I think there was mostly shock. The audience wasn't very vocal overall throughout the game, but when the fight occurred, there was a lot of action around the A/O sec. open goal, so I know I was looking there. Then I followed the puck back to center ice and saw the guys fighting there. I dont even think the refs noticed until then, either. So basically we were shocked/in disbelief/speechless. I think that is pretty accurate.

who picked the red/white team?
Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 10:55PM

I felt that the red team was better than the white team.. in terms of roster strength as well as team work on the ice. Who picked these teams anyway? Did they do it randomly- drawing out of a hat? If someone sat down and tried to make two equally good teams, I think s/he didn't entirely succeed.

If you give me a roster, I can probably divide up the players and make the teams more evenly matched than what we saw tonight.

Re: who picked the red/white team?
Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2005 11:25PM

what was the final score?

Date: October 15, 2005 11:37PM

[Q]min Wrote:

what was the final score?[/q]

7-3 Red. I believe it was 3-2 Red before the shootout.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: October 15, 2005 11:42PM

Dammit! Why did I place $500 on White?!

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 11:58PM

How many Murray-Hornby Red/White games have you seen?

Date: October 16, 2005 12:22AM

[Q]Ack Wrote:

How many Murray-Hornby Red/White games have you seen?[/q]

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2005 12:25AM

Awesome more than one would be sweet, but not 3? Murray was a year ahead of Hornby. Couldn't they only have played 3 together? Or are you counting all games with either Murray or Hornby? '99,'00,'01,'02?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2005 12:30AM

[Q]Ack Wrote:

How many Murray-Hornby Red/White games have you seen?[/q]

There may have only been three of them, but Murray and Hornby in the '01 game was the first thing I thought about when I read Ari's post about the fight. It didn't really devolve into an all-out fight between the two, but they definitly went at it a couple of times during the game.

I wouldn't worry too much about Moulson and Gleed. This is the first chance the guys have had in a while to go out there and knock people around in a real game setting, so things are bound to happen. That, and I trust Coach to be able to resolve any internal issue on the team.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2005 12:31AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Ack Wrote:

How many Murray-Hornby Red/White games have you seen?[/Q]
4[/q]

Huh??

Athletics recap...
Date: October 16, 2005 12:58AM

[cornellbigred.collegesports.com]

no mention of the fight

Re: Athletics recap...
Posted by: mjh89 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2005 01:51AM

but a mention of me!

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2005 08:51AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
Fontas can practice with the team but can't play until next season as far as I know but I believe he'll be a junior then. My understanding of the rule is that if you transfer to a school out of conference you only lose a semester but when Ben Lovejoy transferred to Dartmouth from BC he sat out the whole year.[/q]

Unless the rule has changed, any player who transfers from one DI school to another must sit out a full year before playing for his new team. The only eaception I can think of is if a school folds its team, like Fairfield and Iona did a few years ago. In that instance, players from the disappearing team can transfer to another DI school and play immediately. A player who goes from a DI school to a DIII can also play at the new school immediately.

Date: October 16, 2005 09:21AM

hedge made his statement in the shootout... not bad skating for a ref

-Perk

Posted by: atb9 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 16, 2005 10:47AM

[Q]Oat Wrote:
If you give me a roster, I can probably divide up the players and make the teams more evenly matched than what we saw tonight.[/q]

There is a reason why McKee was on the White team--the teams were not even.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: October 16, 2005 02:27PM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:

no mention of the fight[/q]

Not a bad idea.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 16, 2005 02:42PM

I'm sure Schafer divided up the teams the way he did intentionally. No idea what the rationales were, but I'm sure he had a plan and it wasn't to have the most balanced teams possible.

Posted by: sen '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 16, 2005 03:00PM

mjh-Do you have any more idea of what happened with the fight between Moulson and Gleed, since you were closer to the action?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2005 03:01PM by sen '08.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2005 05:31PM

[Q]Daniel Wrote:

I think there was mostly shock. The audience wasn't very vocal overall throughout the game, but when the fight occurred, there was a lot of action around the A/O sec. open goal, so I know I was looking there. Then I followed the puck back to center ice and saw the guys fighting there. I dont even think the refs noticed until then, either. So basically we were shocked/in disbelief/speechless. I think that is pretty accurate.[/q]
Some people on the N/O side tried starting Let's Go Red to try and overcome the speechlessness, but it was snuffed out pretty quickly. I imagine the people around them gave them serious looks. I was certainly in no mood to cheer.

The fight
Date: October 16, 2005 05:59PM

According to one of my residents, a club hockey player who was on the ice, the fight was not staged. He said that Gleed and Moulson were "cool" with each other afterwords in the locker room.

Also, he said that coach was HAPPY that the players were "finally showing some intensity"

Apparently everyone in the locker room downplayed the fight, including coach.

Date: October 16, 2005 07:41PM

Apparently Moulson slept with Gleed's mother last weekend ... Just Kidding. Don't read too much into it. Hockey is a tough game to play competitively against friends; they were playing hard and one or the other of them probably just took offense to some of the things that transpired during the game. It's over, not a big deal.

Fontas eligibility
Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: October 16, 2005 07:42PM

[Q]fenwick Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:
Fontas can practice with the team but can't play until next season as far as I know but I believe he'll be a junior then. My understanding of the rule is that if you transfer to a school out of conference you only lose a semester but when Ben Lovejoy transferred to Dartmouth from BC he sat out the whole year.[/Q]
Unless the rule has changed, any player who transfers from one DI school to another must sit out a full year before playing for his new team. The only eaception I can think of is if a school folds its team, like Fairfield and Iona did a few years ago. In that instance, players from the disappearing team can transfer to another DI school and play immediately. A player who goes from a DI school to a DIII can also play at the new school immediately.[/q]
The Athletics Department recap of the game (http://cornellbigred.collegesports.com/sports/m-hockey/recaps/101505aaa.html) reiterates the rule as practicing but not playing for a full year. I'm pretty sure that the University can't pay for his travel with the team during that period, either.

Date: October 16, 2005 08:51PM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

Apparently Moulson slept with Gleed's mother last weekend [/q]

that's how rumors get started dude...

Posted by: asd (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 16, 2005 09:36PM

Shafer most definetly had his teams split based on the line combinations he is looking at for the year.

Date: October 17, 2005 07:50AM

[www.cornellsun.com]

This article mentions the fight.

It also calls Fontas a sophomore. Is that true?

Date: October 17, 2005 10:24AM

Fontas finished his sophomore year at UML, but won't be able to play until next year, and will have two years of eligibility remaining. So in a hockey-sense, he's a sophomore. I don't know how his transfer of credits worked between UML and Cornell, it's possible he's an academic sophomore as well.

Date: October 17, 2005 10:28AM

[Q]Will Wrote:
[/q]

I don't like to sharpshoot The Sun, but did they even look at this before posting it?

sophomore goaltender David McKee
Junior Matt McCutcheon

Date: October 17, 2005 12:36PM

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:

Will Wrote:
[/Q]
I don't like to sharpshoot The Sun, but did they even look at this before posting it?

sophomore goaltender David McKee
Junior Matt McCutcheon[/q]

Also

"After it was broken up, the teams went straight into the shootout in which senior goaltender Louis Chabot made six saves for the White team."

Chabot was on the Red team.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 17, 2005 12:52PM

On the other hand, to be fair, they spelled "hockey" correctly.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2005 01:08PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

On the other hand, to be fair, they spelled "hockey" correctly.

Beeeej[/q]
As long as we're piling on, what does it mean to score a goal "through" someone?

"The White team would get itself on the board in the second period through senior Cam Abbott... The White squad scored a second goal in the third period through junior Mitch Carefoot.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 17, 2005 01:24PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

As long as we're piling on, what does it mean to score a goal "through" someone?

"The White team would get itself on the board in the second period through senior Cam Abbott... The White squad scored a second goal in the third period through junior Mitch Carefoot.[/q]From dictionary.com, 10th entry:
[q]Because of; on account of: She succeeded through hard work. He declined the honor through modesty.[/q]The examples point to the fact that the word is usually used in this way with abstract attributes ("modesty";) rather than people. But I've heard it used this way before. Still pretty awkward.

Although I love them, The Daily Sun is so unprofessional and careless sometimes.
Posted by: Oat (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: October 17, 2005 03:04PM

No further discussions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login