Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[OT] NHL Scoring Out of Control!

Posted by NHS123 
[OT] NHL Scoring Out of Control!
Posted by: NHS123 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 11:03AM

Has anyone else noticed that NHL Scoring is out of control.

Re: [OT] NHL Scoring Out of Control!
Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: October 15, 2005 11:54AM

It's called "improving the game." That or "catering to the lowest common denominator," I forgot which... rolleyes

Posted by: Beeeej (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: October 15, 2005 12:01PM

But is it the lowest common numerator taken before the vote you're making, or the number of votes in the lowest common denominator taken after you vote?

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2005 12:41PM

why not bad goaltending? some goalies are not playing to their level.

Posted by: Robb (---.northgrum.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 12:58PM

What do you mean - African numerators or European?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 01:51PM

Harvard sucks.

Had to be said.

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 01:58PM

[q]Had to be said.[/q]If you feel the need to write this it is probably untrue.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: October 15, 2005 02:47PM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

What do you mean - African numerators or European?
[/q]

I don't know that.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: calgARI '07 (209.2.88.---)
Date: October 15, 2005 03:00PM

The scoring will decline. Give it a couple months.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2005 05:46PM

This is a bad thing for the NHL? It makes the 1-0 game, when it happens, all the sweeter. Is this like saying NASCAR is bad for the fans because the races are all so close? I prefer F1 but most fans prefer the Motorola-Tide-KFC-Kodak-Wachovia Darlington 500 any afternoon. The NHL has a long way to go before descending to the levels of the WWF.

Posted by: JordanCS (---.bunt.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 07:50PM

I have to say, I like it. I watched the Pens/Flyers game last night, and while my beloved Penguins are still without a win, it sure was a fun game to watch.

The best part about it? Featured 11 goals (including a faceoff dump in goal while the Flyers tender was watching a replay...reminded me of the time we in sections A and B scored on Boucher), but the play of the game was an absolutely UNREAL save by Sebastian Caron. If anyone watched Sportscenter, it had to have made the Top Plays (I didn't get to catch SC, so I can't say for sure), because it was one of the top 5 saves I've ever seen in my life.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 09:12PM

That save was the play of the day on CNN World Sport this AM in Korea, which is unusual since that program is usually 30 minutes of soccer and cricket highlights. The fact that hockey even raised a ripple, says how incredible the save was.

Though I'm glad the Flyers eventually won out after choking so badly (again).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2005 09:19PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: October 16, 2005 12:38AM

[Q]NHS123 Wrote:

Has anyone else noticed that NHL Scoring is out of control.[/q]
That was the point of the rules changes, wasn't it? The situation has the been exacerbated by an increase in power plays, including more 5x3's, while the players get used to how the game is being called (assuming they're going to learn).

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: October 16, 2005 03:10PM

I think the vertical game is definitely more interesting. The lack of the two-line rule is something I have been wanting for years. Right now there are way too many penalties, but I think when the players manage to get out of their old clutching-grabbing-hooking habits the scores will be more reasonable. As Will said earlier, there have been some pretty poor goaltending performances as well.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (128.253.190.---)
Date: October 16, 2005 05:10PM

I don't really understand the negative responces, some of you actually enjoyed watching 60 minutes of clutch and grab hockey? It's not playing to the lowest common denominator (well, everything except the shootout, which sucks) it's just playing the game it's suposed to be played. I'd prefer to see more 5 on 5, but that will come with time.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 16, 2005 05:25PM

[Q]evilnaturedrobot Wrote:

I don't really understand the negative responces, some of you actually enjoyed watching 60 minutes of clutch and grab hockey?[/q]

Because, contrary to popular belief, not all defensive-minded hockey is clutch-and-grab.

Date: October 16, 2005 10:15PM

I have no problem with the NHL enforcing the rules as written. The problem I have is with the thought process that led to the changes: we need more fans, and we think that people like scoring, so what can we do to increase scoring? Rather than: gosh, maybe we should enforce the rules for the purity of the game and let the chips fall where they may.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2005 12:24AM

[Q]Will Wrote:
Because, contrary to popular belief, not all defensive-minded hockey is clutch-and-grab.[/q]But, to be fair, plenty of the hockey that was played in the NHL *was* clutch-and-grab.

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: October 17, 2005 12:15PM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

It's called "improving the game." That or "catering to the lowest common denominator," I forgot which... [/q]

I guess you never liked watching Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemiuex play in their prime. rolleyes

6.4 goals per game is not "out of control," rather it's closer to the type of hockey I loved to watch 15-30 years ago. Calling interference by the book and making it much more difficult to set up traps is not "catering to the lowest common denominator." Just because Cornell plays a defensive style doesn't mean those who enjoy offensive hockey are morons.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: October 17, 2005 12:59PM

[Q]Steve M Wrote:
Just because Cornell plays a defensive style doesn't mean those who enjoy offensive hockey are morons.[/q]

No, but it's one of those catches. It's not that people who enjoy offensive hockey are morons. But it IS that (hockey) morons enjoy (only) offensive hockey.

So while you may think they're catering to the fans that enjoy offensive hockey (and I try to pretend so to help me sleep at night), really they're probably just catering to the vast population of hockey morons to get revenue up.

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: October 17, 2005 05:20PM

[Q] DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Steve M Wrote:
Just because Cornell plays a defensive style doesn't mean those who enjoy offensive hockey are morons.[/Q]
No, but it's one of those catches. It's not that people who enjoy offensive hockey are morons. But it IS that (hockey) morons enjoy (only) offensive hockey.[/q]

Nah. Morons go to the games mostly for the fights. :-P

[Q] So while you may think they're catering to the fans that enjoy offensive hockey (and I try to pretend so to help me sleep at night), really they're probably just catering to the vast population of hockey morons to get revenue up. [/q]

Assuming you're right, I'll say that morons are good for something. ;-)

Date: October 17, 2005 09:29PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
No, but it's one of those catches. It's not that people who enjoy offensive hockey are morons. But it IS that (hockey) morons enjoy (only) offensive hockey.

So while you may think they're catering to the fans that enjoy offensive hockey (and I try to pretend so to help me sleep at night), really they're probably just catering to the vast population of hockey morons to get revenue up.[/q]

I agree completely. There are plenty of other reasons that scoring is down that have nothing to do with clutch-and-grab (bigger players, better conditioning, bigger goalie equipment, etc). I don't like clutch and grab any more than anyone else. But I reject the notion that low scoring is evidence that there must be clutching and grabbing. By all means call the clutching and call the grabbing, but do so without prejudice for the number of goals that "should" be scored per game.

Date: October 17, 2005 09:38PM

Also don't forget "the Gretzky Rule." During his playing days, both players during offsetting minors sat in the box and they played 4 on 4. Edmonton was scoring too much, so now they play 5 on 5 (though the players are still out for 2+ minutes). I mean when's the last time you saw a good 3 on 3 - not too often.

I'd rather they repeal that rule, too, but It probably won't happen.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 18, 2005 11:26AM

Why would better conditioning necessarily lead to lower scoring? Or are you just mentioning one of the things that is different compared to x years ago that might contribute to a different style of play?

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 18, 2005 02:29PM

Actually, when there are offsetting minors during 5x5 play, they do play 4x4. If there are offsetting minors and either team is not at full strength, there's no loss of manpower on the ice.

Posted by: Robb (---.northgrum.com)
Date: October 18, 2005 04:05PM

Actually, I misspoke - I should have said "strength training" as opposed to conditioning. Yes, I think that having players who are on average stronger would lead to less scoring - I think strength disproportionally favors defense.

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: October 18, 2005 06:38PM

[Q]Steve M Wrote:
Nah. Morons go to the games mostly for the fights.[/q]While it is true that the morons go to the game for the fights, it isn't ONLY morons that enjoy them.

Date: October 19, 2005 03:03AM

If that's the case, it seems like they apply it inconsistently. I'm sure they don't, but it does seem that way to me.

I'll have to watch for that once I get back to the states.

Posted by: NHS123 (---.musiclib2.cornell.edu)
Date: November 08, 2005 05:00PM

[www.nhl.com]

Unbelievable. This is a product of too many penalties being called. It maybe more exciting hockey, but it isn't "real" hockey. Gretzky, Lemieux, and Hull never played in a system like this. Granted, the goalies were not as athletic and the equipment was not as advanced (or big) in that era. However, with 3/4 of a game being played on the powerplay, it is creating an over-inflation of stats.

I mean, come on, comparing Simon Gagne with Wayne Gretzky???? screwy

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: November 08, 2005 05:36PM

Rumor mill -- With more players drawing penalties by falling to the ice too easily, there is a movement among the players to have more diving -- and only diving -- penalties called.

Often this season referees have called coincidental minors -- one for hooking, another for diving. Players would like to see referees either call one penalty (diving) or give the diver an extra two minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct. That way, his team is penalized for his actions.

A few years ago players whistled for diving had their names posted in NHL locker rooms as a form of public humiliation. Nothing, however, is more humiliating than seeing your team allow a power-play goal while you're serving a diving penalty.

Amen!

In a very rare few occassions the play actually is half penalty, half-diving, in which case one of each is justified.

It's a shame that college refs aren't good enough (they just aren't) to distinguish between a dive and a penalty. You also need two refs to have a good shot at doing so, so that one is always close to the play. There was at least one dive in the Yale game that was called a penalty, and it's a shame.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2005 11:19PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
Often this season referees have called coincidental minors -- one for hooking, another for diving. Players would like to see referees either call one penalty (diving) or give the diver an extra two minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct. That way, his team is penalized for his actions.[/q]I thought diving already was a specific case of unsportsmanlike conduct. Resident refs or anyone with a handy link to the rules?

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: November 09, 2005 09:12PM

NCAA Ice Hockey 2006 Rules and Interpretations
Page 8[q]Points of Emphasis
The “Points of Emphasis” section calls attention to certain areas of the
game that the NCAA Men’s and Women’s Ice Hockey Rules Committee
believes must be improved, not through additional rules but by a stronger
emphasis on existing rules.
This year the rules committee requests that players, officials and coaches concentrate on the following areas:
Overall Rules Enforcement
The committee was pleased overall with the effect of last season’s focus on proper rules enforcement.
It remains the responsibility of coaches, players, officials and administrators to support this initiative. In addition to last year’s focal points, the committee points attention to the following two areas:
• Diving. An unintended result of the rules initiative was an increase in diving. A player shall not attempt to draw a penalty through any exaggerated or deceitful action.
• Strength. A player should not be penalized in a contact situation solely because of their size or strength.
[/q]
Page 57[q]Diving
SECTION 11. A player shall not attempt to draw a penalty through any exaggerated or deceitful action (“diving”).
PENALTY—Minor.
[/q]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login