Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Opening Night Across Division I

Posted by ben03 
Opening Night Across Division I
Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2005 08:49PM

ECAC(HL) teams in action:

Quinnipiac v. Michigan
St. Lawrence v. Wisconsin
Clarkson v. Niagara
Mass.-Lowell v. Colgate
Union v. CC

SLU(t) up 1-0 after one;
Q 0-0 w/ Michigan ... even with a tie through one, Q will be lucky to win 10 games if they keep up this style of play
Clarkson looking shaky ... down 4-2 after one

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2005 09:01PM by ben03.

Gate 4-0
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.19.82.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 08:53PM

Colgate leads UM-L 4-0 in the third. The more wins against HEA opponents by our opponents the better.

Re: Opening Night Across Division I
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 08:57PM

Not bad to see QU - out supposed bottom dweller - holding even with #8 in the country after 1.

Re: Gate 6-2
Date: October 07, 2005 09:08PM

Final in Hamilton. #18 Colgate 6- #16 Lowell 2.

Date: October 07, 2005 09:09PM

Michigan takes a 1-0 lead and it looks like they're just waiting for the flood gates to open

Date: October 07, 2005 09:21PM

2-0 SLU with a crappy little screen from a point shot :)

Date: October 07, 2005 09:24PM

Michigan scores on two man advantage, now up 2-0 still on the PP

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2005 09:24PM

2-1, SLU...quick goal by the Badgers. UW now on PP.

Niagara 6 Clarkson 3, F
Date: October 07, 2005 09:34PM

Tech underwhelms in its opener and balances things out for the ecac(hl).

Date: October 07, 2005 10:01PM

I cannot believe I said I though Q would win 10 games. I most definitely meant score 10 goals ALL SEASON :bang:

Date: October 07, 2005 10:09PM

Wisconsin ties it up

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2005 10:14PM

Wisconsin has a really good team this year. Ditto for St. Lawrence who I expect to challenge Cornell for the top spot in the league.

Date: October 07, 2005 10:19PM

well i'll be a son of a b*?%h ... Q manages a goal late in the 3rd

Date: October 07, 2005 10:20PM

SLU loses in OT when a SLU player knocks into his own goalie and pushes the goalie and puck in the net.

You were saying, Ari? ;)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2005 10:20PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2005 10:21PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

SLU loses in OT when a SLU player knocks into his own goalie and pushes the goalie and puck in the net.
[/q]

What a horrible way to lose a game. That's sick.

Date: October 07, 2005 10:22PM

... and michigan scores to make it 3-1 late third

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 10:27PM

somebody care to explain how that happened? was the slu player pushed?

Date: October 07, 2005 10:36PM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:

DeltaOne81 Wrote:

[/Q]
What a horrible way to lose a game. That's sick.[/q]

What's worse is the box score lists the goal as being at 5:00 in the third. Damn...

Date: October 07, 2005 10:40PM

[Q]min Wrote:

somebody care to explain how that happened? was the slu player pushed?[/q]

Not quite, it was a partial 2-on-1, with the 2nd SLU player just trailing. My memory's a little fuzzy, but basically the shot was taken and then a Wisc guy came barreling over and kinda collided with a SLU guy, who skidded 10 feet and into his own goalie. So the Wisc guy knocked down the SLU player, but it was 10 feet out so there's no way you could say it was intentional.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2005 10:42PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 08, 2005 02:14AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
Ditto for St. Lawrence who I expect to challenge Cornell for the top spot in the league.[/q]HA! You're kidding, right? St. Lawrence, with all the talent people claim they have, hasn't been able to put together a decent season in four years, and you're willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll win 15 conference games, or something along those lines. Once again, I'll believe it when I see it. They'll be mid-tier, as has come to be their norm.

That said, other than Clarkson embarrassing themselves, it wasn't a bad night for the ECAC. Colgate won the only game that you could the ECAC team *should* have won (well, ok, other than maybe Clarkson). Q and SLU lost, but kept it close on the road against ranked teams. I don't know whether Union's game against CC in the Icebreaker is technically considered neutral ice, but it was in Colorado Springs, so that's effectively a road game as well. RPI ran it up against a Canadian school, which is pretty much what you'd expect from RPI *before* it starts to matter, at which point Fridgen will curl up in a little ball and forget everything he knows about hockey.

It'd be encouraging if Clarkson could rebound strongly tomorrow.

Duluth lost at home to Bemidji. Not altogether encouraging for the Bulldogs.

Assuming no phenom shows up, Colgate's weak link this year will be inexperience goaltending.

Harvard sucks.

The first official Ivy game isn't until October 28th when the Red play Michigan State, but still? DROP THE PUCK!

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 08, 2005 07:09AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

The first official Ivy game isn't until October 28th when the Red play Michigan State, but still? DROP THE PUCK![/q]

Amen.

And Harvard still sucks.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 11:05AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:
Ditto for St. Lawrence who I expect to challenge Cornell for the top spot in the league.[/Q]
HA! You're kidding, right? St. Lawrence, with all the talent people claim they have, hasn't been able to put together a decent season in four years, and you're willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll win 15 conference games, or something along those lines. Once again, I'll believe it when I see it. They'll be mid-tier, as has come to be their norm.

That said, other than Clarkson embarrassing themselves, it wasn't a bad night for the ECAC. Colgate won the only game that you could the ECAC team *should* have won (well, ok, other than maybe Clarkson). Q and SLU lost, but kept it close on the road against ranked teams. I don't know whether Union's game against CC in the Icebreaker is technically considered neutral ice, but it was in Colorado Springs, so that's effectively a road game as well. RPI ran it up against a Canadian school, which is pretty much what you'd expect from RPI *before* it starts to matter, at which point Fridgen will curl up in a little ball and forget everything he knows about hockey.

It'd be encouraging if Clarkson could rebound strongly tomorrow.

Duluth lost at home to Bemidji. Not altogether encouraging for the Bulldogs.

Assuming no phenom shows up, Colgate's weak link this year will be inexperience goaltending.

Harvard sucks.

The first official Ivy game isn't until October 28th when the Red play Michigan State, but still? DROP THE PUCK![/q]

I wouldn't say Clarkson "embaressed" themselves. They weren't predicted to be strong in the league this year as you know. They are a VERY young team and will take some time to develop. Also, they did generate 52 SOG so obviously there aas some offensive production but they had trouble finishing.

Yes, a tonight at Niagara would be nice.

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 12:53PM

That just shows how far Clarkson has fallen. If you'd asked any Clarkson fan in 1998 whether a 6-3 loss to a team that wasn't even in the ECAC, HEA, CCHA, or WCHA was "embarrassing," I think they'd have had a different answer for you.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 08, 2005 12:59PM

[Q]Rich S Wrote:
Yes, a tonight at Niagara would be nice.[/q]

Your wish is granted!! :-D

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: October 08, 2005 01:50PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Rich S Wrote:
Yes, a tonight at Niagara would be nice.[/Q]
Your wish is granted!! [/q]In other news, it's a day like today.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 02:17PM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

That just shows how far Clarkson has fallen. If you'd asked any Clarkson fan in 1998 whether a 6-3 loss to a team that wasn't even in the ECAC, HEA, CCHA, or WCHA was "embarrassing," I think they'd have had a different answer for you.[/q]

Thanks Robb. I'm a Tech fan for 35 years so no need for you to tell me. But yes, I'd have had a different answer, much like red fans had a few years back when cornell lost to Sacred Heart. That was at Lynah, right? Was that "embaressing"? Maybe so since cornell was a strong team but Clarkson is not right now.

The Tech program hit a pothole a couple of years back, much like cornell did before Schafer arrived. Now I think we're on the road back but a couple of years away. As I said, it's a very young team without a proven goalie so nights like last night are expected.

Date: October 08, 2005 02:31PM

[Q]Rich S Wrote:
Thanks Robb. I'm a Tech fan for 35 years so no need for you to tell me. But yes, I'd have had a different answer, much like red fans had a few years back when cornell lost to Sacred Heart. That was at Lynah, right? Was that "embaressing"? Maybe so since cornell was a strong team but Clarkson is not right now.

The Tech program hit a pothole a couple of years back, much like cornell did before Schafer arrived. Now I think we're on the road back but a couple of years away. As I said, it's a very young team without a proven goalie so nights like last night are expected.[/q]

richS,
[pot calling kettle black] I can't help but notice you have taken to using the lower case spelling of cornell for emphasis ... as opposed to spelling all other school names in your post correctly. [/pot calling kettle black] In contrast you did spell Lynah with a capital L. So you respect the rink but not the school/team?

innocent innocent innocentclassically yours innocent innocent innocent
ben 03

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: October 08, 2005 02:45PM

[Q]Rich S Wrote:

Robb Wrote:

That just shows how far Clarkson has fallen. If you'd asked any Clarkson fan in 1998 whether a 6-3 loss to a team that wasn't even in the ECAC, HEA, CCHA, or WCHA was "embarrassing," I think they'd have had a different answer for you.[/Q]
[/q]

It certainly was embarassing, so much so that that game (along with the 11-0 loss at Yale in 1998) "didn't happen" according to Lynah Faithful lore.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: October 08, 2005 02:58PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

It certainly was embarassing, so much so that that game (along with the 11-0 loss at Yale in 1998) "didn't happen" according to Lynah Faithful lore.[/q]

What? I don't know what you're talking about. ;-)

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 03:00PM

I know your lineage quite well, RichS. rolleyes

Yes, the loss to SH at Lynah was embarrassing, and there's no other way to spin it. Cornell finished 16-14-2 overall that year, and 4th in the ECAC at 11-8-3, but only 4 points above 9th place. Even if we'd lost two more ECAC games that year, I would have been embarrassed as the 9th place team losing to SH. So saying that the Clarkson loss to Niagara is embarrassing is completely consistent, even taking into account Clarkson's recent history. Even middle pack ECAC team should not lose this game this badly - and I'd say that about Cornell, Clarkson, or any other team.

Look - we all wish Clarkson had done better in that game - in fact, several of us went so far as to EXPECT better. In response, you went right to the "pointing out other people's shortcomings to make yourself feel better" technique. bang

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 03:10PM

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 04:33PM

Clarkson scores 4 unanswered goals in the third to win the Saturday game, 5-2.

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 04:41PM

Clarkson losing to shitbag Niagara 6-3 last knight gave me a near heart attack, I was embarrassed.....coming back with 5 unanswered goals today made me feel alot better. The season is young and so are we, as the season wears on I think we can put up some good numbers.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 08, 2005 05:06PM

[Q]Drew Wrote:
Clarkson losing to shitbag Niagara 6-3 last knight gave me a near heart attack, I was embarrassed.....coming back with 5 unanswered goals today made me feel alot better. The season is young and so are we, as the season wears on I think we can put up some good numbers.[/q]

My goodness, a Clarkson fan capable of admitting that losing to Niagara was embarrassing, without also feeling the need to name the most embarrassing Cornell loss he could think of. Shocking, and yet, not really.

Congrats to the Knights on today's win.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Saturday
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.76.240.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 10:50PM

Notables from Saturday night:

SLU with a big ot win at Wisconsin 2-1
Mercyhurst beats Jamie Russel's MTU team 5-2
Bemidji sweeps Duluth
Michigan sweeps Q
Air force wipes the floor with Union 9-2

How 'bout that mighty mighty WCHA?

Re: Saturday
Posted by: RedAR (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 08, 2005 11:31PM

Also, Jan Brady State U lost to Alberta in an exhibition game.

Posted by: ajec1 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 09, 2005 12:15AM

Well, in SCSU's defense (which is pretty tough, considering they are now the bottom-dewellers of the WCHA, props to Mich Tech), Alberta did play the Gophers close (4-3; they probably played the first line once all game), and they beat Mankato yesterday... As for the SLU win, its good to see, but it could just be one of those early season things (ie Alaska-Anchorage beating the Gophers last year in the Frontier Classic). However, I would find it hard to believe that Bucky can be as good as last year, losing a good goalie is always a chore, and they won't surprise people like last year. Props to Bemidji for continuing to be a very solid squad after last year (they looked pretty decent for a 4 seed in the tourney).

Date: October 09, 2005 12:20AM

Alberta actually beat Minn-State and SCSU in the last two days, after losing by only 1 goal to UMinn. Is Alberta the king of Canadian college hockey, or is the WCHA looking a little shaky early on? ;)

Combine that with SLU's split with Wisc, Mercyhurst splitting with MTU, and Bemidji sweeping UMD.

About the only WCHA team holding its own this weekend is CC, and possibly UND. Too early to get excited about it, but not a bad start ;)

That now is the first win of a AH team over a WCHA team, leaving no conference that AH hasn't beaten at east one.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2005 12:22AM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 09, 2005 12:48AM

The WCHA got one win tonight. NoDak beat Miami 3-0.

And for you fans of Big Ten Hockey Conference rumors, Penn State beat Robert Morris 3-2.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2005 12:58AM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Alberta actually beat Minn-State and SCSU in the last two days, after losing by only 1 goal to UMinn. Is Alberta the king of Canadian college hockey, or is the WCHA looking a little shaky early on?

Combine that with SLU's split with Wisc, Mercyhurst splitting with MTU, and Bemidji sweeping UMD.

About the only WCHA team holding its own this weekend is CC, and possibly UND. Too early to get excited about it, but not a bad start

That now is the first win of a AH team over a WCHA team, leaving no conference that AH hasn't beaten at east one.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10/09/05 12:22AM by DeltaOne81.[/q]

UAlberta is the king of college hockey - vastly superior to any of the eastern teams we have seen Cornell demolish in the past.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: October 09, 2005 01:33AM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

And for you fans of Big Ten Hockey Conference rumors, Penn State beat Robert Morris 3-2.[/q]
Don't laugh too hard at the teams. Remember that last year University of Illinois beat Penn State for the D1 national championship of the American Collegiate Hockey Association. I saw both semi-final games and would say that each of those clubs has a base that could be built into an NCAA D1 team if the schools wanted to.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: October 09, 2005 01:42AM

[Q]David Harding Wrote:

Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

And for you fans of Big Ten Hockey Conference rumors, Penn State beat Robert Morris 3-2.[/Q]
Don't laugh too hard at the teams. Remember that last year University of Illinois beat Penn State for the D1 national championship of the American Collegiate Hockey Association. I saw both semi-final games and would say that each of those clubs has a base that could be built into an NCAA D1 team if the schools wanted to.
[/q]

Yeah, but a BTHC would more or less kill most of the famed smaller western schools' programs.

Date: October 09, 2005 10:03AM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

The WCHA got one win tonight. NoDak beat Miami 3-0.[/q]

You forgot, CC beat Maine in OT 3-2 at the Icebreaker.

Date: October 10, 2005 05:09AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

The WCHA got one win tonight. NoDak beat Miami 3-0.[/Q]
You forgot, CC beat Maine in OT 3-2 at the Icebreaker.[/q]

It wasn't finished when I posted.

Sunday
Date: October 10, 2005 08:43AM

In the only Sunday game involving an ECACHL team, RPI lost 5-3 on the road at UMass-Lowell yesterday afternoon.

Also of note, Michigan State beat North Dakota 3-0 (with all three goals coming over a stretch of about 6:30 in the second period) to win the Lefty McFadden Invitational (which appears to be one of those rare tournaments in which the championship is played before the consolation game). MSU look tough in the early going (at least, as tough as you can reasonably conclude from a two-day tournament), and should be a serious test for our boys. They open their CCHA schedule with a game at Michigan the weekend before coming to Lynah.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: October 10, 2005 10:51AM

[Q]which appears to be one of those rare tournaments in which the championship is played before the consolation game[/Q]
I can't think of another case, in any sport. Weird.

Posted by: Avash (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 10, 2005 02:24PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

which appears to be one of those rare tournaments in which the championship is played before the consolation game[/Q]
I can't think of another case, in any sport. Weird.[/q]

The Lefty McFadden Invitational doesn't have a tournament format anymore (hence it being an "invitational," not a "tournament.";) All 4 games, and their start times, were set before the weekend, so even if Wayne State had beaten Michigan State on Saturday, Michigan State would still have played North Dakota on Sunday.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: October 10, 2005 02:25PM

Aha.

Date: October 10, 2005 10:50PM

Sounds like the Lake Placid Olympics in 1980.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login