Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[Ticket Line] How does everyone else do it?

Posted by Chris '03 
[Ticket Line] How does everyone else do it?
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.76.85.adsl.snet.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 04:24PM

I suggested in another thread that it would be a good idea for someone to survey other schools and pro teams distribute tickets when supply outstrips demand. A story I spotted on CHN made me start this thread as a way to compile similar information in one place.

Please add stories (anectodal or press) regarding different policies. Try to make the subject reflect the school/sport in question so the thread keeps some organization.

Hopefully it will help generate some good ideas and let us (and CU athletics) learn from the mistakes made elsewhere.

Boston College Basketball and Hockey
Date: September 30, 2005 04:26PM

Looks like they screwed this up pretty good. An online distribution policy was scrapped when the technology failed.

Then they announced a sale for 7am at Conte and said they'd leave the building open all night (implying an overnight wait for tickets). Then they started the sale at midnight. Read more: [www.bcheights.com]
(Thanks to the CHN wire for the link)

UF Football
Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.research.cornell.edu)
Date: September 30, 2005 04:29PM

This is as safe as safe gets... University of Florida students used to have to phone in to get tickets to football games. It's the same thing as trying to get tickets to Lynah East. I think also they do not offer season tickets for students, so this madness goes on every week. They have since modified the system to be some kind of online credit card thing.

[www.gatorzone.com]

Interestingly, the phone-in wait on a busy signal for eight hours system is how University of Central Florida does course registration. Thank God for coursenroll.

Connecticut Baketball
Date: September 30, 2005 04:34PM

UCONN changed their policy this year to eliminate the "camp out." They announced the time wrist bands would be given out and said that any line created before a certain time would be broken up (sound familiar yet?).

Turns out they weren't true to their word and they let the line form early to the point where people who believed athletics and showed up on time for the line were shut out. And of course when wrist bands started being handed out there was a crush on the location. While the paper seemed to have a positive impression of the event, the studetns quoted seemed pretty pissed.

Here's the report from the Daily Campus (reg may be required):
[www.dailycampus.com]
and the editorial:
[www.dailycampus.com]

"By not recognizing and staffing such a line, the Division of Athletics also allowed a mob rush to occur only minutes before the set time of 2 p.m. "

South Carolina Football
Date: September 30, 2005 04:51PM

South Carolina allots 15,000 seats a game to students. Students don't get season tickets, they just go pick up a ticket beginning the monday before each home game. While it seems that for most games getting a ticket isn't a problem (there are enough seats to meet demand), they still manage to make people upset because there is only one place to get tickets and for the first game this year, 9,000 students waited in line for tickets and it took hours just to give them their ticket.

Imagine doing that for each home hockey weekend...

My favorite quote: "It was absurd," said Ryan Shaw, a fourth-year sports management student. "I cut in line and still had to wait an hour."

[www.dailygamecock.com]
[www.dailygamecock.com]

Re: Connecticut Baketball
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 01, 2005 08:48AM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

UCONN changed their policy this year to eliminate the "camp out." They announced the time wrist bands would be given out and said that any line created before a certain time would be broken up (sound familiar yet?).

Turns out they weren't true to their word and they let the line form early to the point where people who believed athletics and showed up on time for the line were shut out. And of course when wrist bands started being handed out there was a crush on the location. While the paper seemed to have a positive impression of the event, the studetns quoted seemed pretty pissed.

Here's the report from the Daily Campus (reg may be required):

and the editorial:

"By not recognizing and staffing such a line, the Division of Athletics also allowed a mob rush to occur only minutes before the set time of 2 p.m. "
[/q]

Wow, that story seems to combine all the worst things about the lines the past few years! :-P rolleyes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2005 06:11PM by Will.

Duke basketball
Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 01, 2005 03:36PM

We keep on using Duke bball as an example, but I had no idea of the actual details, and I suspect many others don't know them either.

Student newspaper acticle discussing changes to policy:
[www.chronicle.duke.edu]

The official K-ville website:
[dsg.duke.edu]

There are references to the policy all over the place, but I can't actually find it.
[Edit: Found. 2004-2005 policy: [dsg.duke.edu] ]

From what I can gather, it's general admission to each game. Students typically get in line for most games a few hours in advance. There are two official tenting games (UNC and Maryland, usually). Tenting for the second game isn't allowed until the first game is complete, but tenting for the first game starts whenever you want. The line is official but monitored only by the residents of Tent 1 until the the University takes over in the guise of the Head Line Monitor, an elected student govt official, and his/her minions (Line Monitors - a job for which you must apply) during "Blue tenting."

Grace periods (times when your tent may be empty) include all men's and women's home bball games, locally televised away games, bad weather (at the discretion of the Head Line Monitor, though mandatory when the temp is 20F or below), and anything else the HLM decides. The second missed tent check leads to your tent being bumped to the back of the line.

Can't find anything on paying for the games...perhaps they get in free with student ID?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2005 03:50PM by Liz '05.

Re: Duke basketball
Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: October 01, 2005 04:02PM

I reported on Duke two years ago. [elf.elynah.com]
Most of the links are dead now, but the story is similar.

Note the comment on the Chronicle article. [www.chronicle.duke.edu] [q]I think it is about time for the powers that be, to step in and put an end to this pointless waste of time. The strongest argument in favor of tenting is that it proves that the sheep at Duke yearn for a line to join,[/q]

RIP Hooky
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2005 06:29PM

RPI has taken care of their season ticket line by sucking.:-P

This has had the desired effect of making more time available for the Engineers to grind away at the books as no line is necessary.

smashfreak RPI AD Ken Ralph
Coach Fridgen

Re: Duke basketball
Posted by: 02 (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: October 02, 2005 11:44PM

Duke's undergrad system leads to many empty seats in the undergrad section for all but the biggest games. So many, in fact, that Coach K has threatened to give some of those seats to grad students. He only manages to avoid embarassment by getting the TV people to conspire with him to minimize views of the empty seats on the sides and focus only on the bunches of Cameron Crazies at center court. Imagine having large sections of uncovered benches for the U18 game in preseason.

The Duke grad system may be better for us, though has an obvious negative as well. In that system groups of grad students camp out from Friday night to Sunday for a spot in a lottery. Then the lottery is drawn to determine who has the right to buy season tickets. Not everyone gets a chance to buy, so the campout groups divide the seats amongst all of the people in the group. There is an advantage for seniority and for personal failures to win the lottery in previous years. Of course, if a bunch of die hard Cornellians camped together, only some could go to each game. And the facetimers would do just as well as the truly loyal.

Re: [Ticket Line] How does everyone else do it?
Posted by: Tub(a) (---.law.pitt.edu)
Date: October 20, 2005 01:02PM

Just when you thought this thread was dead...

[graphics.fansonly.com]

This is the Pitt basketball ticket distribution system. Everyone initially has the same shot at getting tickets via lottery. The more events you go to, the more priority you have in getting tickets. If you get a ticket to an event and don't go (Cornell could make it if you are later than 7pm to a game for example), you lose priority. This is all done electronically, there is never a line and therefore no liability risk for the school. You pay for the tickets to each game individually. It is explained in better detail at the link.

This wouldn't necessarily work exactly as it is for Cornell Hockey, but what if other athletics events are required to build priority (like Women's Ice Hockey)? Could this system be carried over from year to year ensuring a heavy supply of upperclassmen?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 20, 2005 01:16PM

So you're essentially saying that we should use the band system for all fans. Not necessarily a bad idea, but I'd prefer to restrict this specifically to attendance at (men's) hockey games, including arrival time. I proposed something similar last month here, although in the context of season tickets, not individual games.

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 01:55PM

just out of curiosity, what prevents you from showing up at these "other" athletics events at the beginning, and leave right after punching in (for lack of a better word)?

Date: October 20, 2005 02:29PM

[Q]just out of curiosity, what prevents you from showing up at these "other" athletics events at the beginning, and leave right after punching in (for lack of a better word)?[/q]Easy to address if that's a concern. Have people punch in when entering and when leaving. Or you could lock the doors and prevent anyone from leaving...

But I think simply getting people to show up at other events would be an accomplishment. If you bothered to make an appearance at a game you are much more likely to stay and watch than someone who never shows up.

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: October 20, 2005 02:55PM

[Q]min Wrote:

just out of curiosity, what prevents you from showing up at these "other" athletics events at the beginning, and leave right after punching in (for lack of a better word)?[/q]The incredible hassle of setting your schedule to show up at games you don't want to see, perhaps?

Date: October 20, 2005 03:07PM

[Q]The incredible hassle of setting your schedule to show up at games you don't want to see, perhaps?[/q]Is it really that much of a hassle to stroll up to the east end of campus for a few minutes of facetime when it's something you want? People are willing to sit in line overnight, which seems like more of an imposition. A hassle yes, but not that big of a deal.

But then again, a majority of current students seem to think it's an incredible hassle to get to the rink at game time for an event they really want to see...

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: October 20, 2005 05:33PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

The incredible hassle of setting your schedule to show up at games you don't want to see, perhaps?[/Q]
Is it really that much of a hassle to stroll up to the east end of campus for a few minutes of facetime when it's something you want? [/q]Every week? For multiple sports? Forget about the stroll - this policy forces you to be in town when you might not be otherwise. I don't think too many people would go to events that they don't actually attend.

It might be a promising business idea, though.

Date: October 20, 2005 05:56PM

Well if the policy requires you to attend every game, with a single miss causing you to lose any priority then I agree it's an imposition. if on the other hand it simply rewards those who do manage to attend every week more than those who don't then I see no problem with it. I feel no sorrow for someone who hypothetically has reduced hockey priority because he wanted to go on a road trip.

[q]I don't think too many people would go to events that they don't actually attend.[/q]I agreee with you on this. There might be some enterprising folks who would game the system to get high priority. I have no problem rewarding individuals who feel strongly enough about hockey that they'll go to these lengths to get priority. But most would not.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 11:18PM

This is probably the most sensible system I have seen that results in zero liability for athletics.

Of course, buying software and scanners and paying someone to keep track of everything costs money, so this could probably never happen :-P

Posted by: Liz '05 (69.85.255.---)
Date: October 21, 2005 12:05PM

At least at football, it couldn't be that hard to implement. They've got people checking tickets for non-students, and students are supposed to show their ID already. Changing the system from showing your ID to swiping your ID isn't going to consume any more time or man-power...although it may require additional wiring for the little booths the guys sit in.

I know there's security at the big track meets (Heps) too...it would probably be even easier to swipe cards there (and at wrestling and gymnastics meets), because they're inside. If they have systems to punch employees in and out in Barton, Teagle, and Friedman, they can certainly add the necessary equipment there.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether watching club sports (like rugby) should count?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: October 21, 2005 01:25PM

[Q]Liz '05 Wrote:

Does anyone have an opinion on whether watching club sports (like rugby) should count?[/q]

Intramurals next?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 21, 2005 07:52PM

Someone should tell Athletics that this is a method for assessing fan interest. From that they can determine where they can focus their budgets and where they can charge higher advertising dollars.

That might make them spend the money to put in a monitoring system. rolleyes

UM football
Posted by: bigREdwings (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2005 09:20PM

all michigan students are offered, and granted if wanted, season tickets for about $150. they actually had a problem this year with too many students getting tickets and disrupting the traditional "sitting" sections. if only this easy-access package was the case for big red hockey

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 22, 2005 09:53AM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

Liz '05 Wrote:

Does anyone have an opinion on whether watching club sports (like rugby) should count?[/Q]
Intramurals next?

[/q]

Hey, I'd have gotten a ton of points if that were the case (Intramurals, that is). I only mention rugby because I've seen a lot of rugby games and there's no equivalent varsity sport. :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login