Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

the official line idea thread

Posted by DeltaOne81 
the official line idea thread
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 10:40PM

It was proposed on the other thread that we try to organize our ideas and see if we can come to a consensus at to what should work. If we can come up with something reasonable, perhaps we can lend a voice to it.

These threads can get way out of hand, so I'd like to see if we can possible try to keep this one fairly focused - try your very best ;)

I've read the ideas in the other thread so far and have formed a bit of an opinion (me? no!). I'm wondering if we can share thoughts and maybe come to a reasonable consensus. And then figure out if we can write an open letter or something. Perhaps if someone here works of the Sun, we can see if we can get a space equivalent to what Andy Noel got - not because we need to explicitly contradict him, but just as another party. Maybe I could even be convinced to write it, we'll see.

--------------

So, here are my thoughts.

I really see no problem with a long term line, with no line checks during school hours (or prelim hours). Seriously, what's wrong with that? I'm open to comments, but I fail to see a problem at the moment.

You come to the athletic ticket office to get your line number, anytime starting, say, June 1st - alright, how about September 1st, don't want to disadvantage students with summer jobs. From then on, you have to camp *outside* behind the fieldhouse, or somewhere. Line checks will be performed randomly between the hours of 6 pm and 5 am (usually giving people a break in the middle of the night, but no promises) on weekdays. They don't even need to do a check every night - Andy or Gene, or a member of the CUPD, or a newbie in the athletics department that they want to 'haze' ;-), can just show up randomly every two to three nights. And you don't need to police the line because the numbers are handed out immediately when you get there - so no cutting - and not initial rush, so no cutting to get numbers.

The students need to be treated like adults. They have to make their own decisions. If they're given enough credit to be allowed to decide to go to class or sleep in, go to class or wait in a ticket line for Jon Stewart, and to bother to do homework or to chose to skip an assignment, then they have to be given enough credit.

Unless it turns out that 1000+ students show up at 8 am (10 am?) on September 1st. Then I give up :). And the other option should be general admission (although I have concerns about that for the Harvard game) or a lottery ala the late 90s.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2005 10:43PM by DeltaOne81.

Re: the official line idea thread
Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 10:53PM

I haven’t read through all the other “line" threads … is there a reason they couldn’t have a line and a GA student section? Maybe Athletics could use the above-mentioned logistics but substituted a seat number for a coupon book of GA tickets (ala “the older days” mention by JH ’82 in another thread).

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 10:57PM

1. Announcement is made anytime soon that tickets next year will be sold at 6am the Wednesday after Fall Break.

2. Any line before 5pm the Friday before Fall Break will not be monitored and is attended at your own risk. (Cornell is not liable for any damages resulting from line).

3. Starting at 5pm Friday, police and volunteers will patrol the line and ensure that there is no cutting. Line numbers will not be issued.

4. Tickets will be sold starting at 6am on Wednesday.

5. The ticket will entitle the holder to General Admission to a specific section for each home hockey game. The section will be labelled on the ticket. One ticket per person.

GAME NIGHTS:

1. Doors open at 5pm.

2. Ushers collect ticket from student and stamp the corresponding letter on the student's hand. Ushers at the top of each section will check the stub and the stamp before allowing student entrance to the section.

3. To return to the section, students must have a stamp and a stub.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 11:09PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Line checks will be performed randomly between the hours of 6 pm and 5 am (usually giving people a break in the middle of the night, but no promises) on weekdays.[/q]

I would just amend this to take into account both evening prelims (a problem for Tuesdays and Thursdays) and night classes/labs (I'm guessing that might affect Mondays through Thursdays). The latter probably won't impact a lot of people, but you just know somebody is bound to make a stink about it.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 11:18PM

I like the idea of selling general admission tickets instead of assigned seats. It would definitely give people a reason to show up early rather than just on time (or... dare i say late). It would also relieve the initial rush because your place in line wouldn't determine your seat. The uncertainty of what seat you would get would also keep out some of the people who care only be cause everyone else cares. Your number would become less of a status thing and the people who really wanted to be at the games would get the best seats. This will probably annoy some people who like to have *their* seat but hey, you want it you come early enough to claim it.

as for getting the line numbers, I don't have much of a problem with last years version of the line. semi-obscure location in an open area is a definite plus but the fact that everyone should be arriving from the same direction really limits it to somewhere at or beyond the ag quad. there's nothing wrong w/ having the whole paper-signing thing in bartels but it shouldn't be anywhere near where the tickets are being distributed. One of the problems mentioned was that those volunteers were in the process of setting up their tables when people were coming in to sign forms. Having this done in a different location would give a ~5 minute window after the first number is claimed for them to set up and be ready for the flood of people. I guess i'm really not saying anything new, just pick the location of # distribution a bit better and keep the process spread out so you don't have to hold up one part for another thats lagging behind.

Date: September 29, 2005 11:30PM

It's possible to do the above resulting in a GA ticket

Pluses:
1) Students show up to games earlier - but does athletics really care? Well, Schafer does, so maybe they do a little
2) It would reduce competition to get the the line early since you're only getting a GA ticket anyway

Minuses:
1) Wouldn't this just create the same mess before big games? Particularly Harvard? I mean, you'd have people lining up unmonitored for days before the Harvard games, with cutting and perhaps pushing all the same. The *only* issue I have with GA is it would seem to bring all the problems we've had in the past couple years and move them to the Harvard game. If it wasn't for that, I'd be cool with it. Can someone explain this away for me?

2) Two above may not really be a plus if we've avoided the problem anyway. In fact, it could make it worse. No one would really want to be the first to get a ticket, but neither do they want to be left out, so it may 'compress' the group back to the end of the time period, just before tickets are actually sold.

Tub(a), that seems like an awfully complex system, and an unmonitored line seems like it just puts us back where we started. Is there any compelling reason that I'm missing to ruin student's break and risk an unmonitored line? Sure, no explict university liability, but we want this to work smoothly in addition to be acceptable to the powers-that-be.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 12:06AM

You think people who already have tickets to sit in a particular section at the Harvard game would line up for days in advance just to make sure they get the row they want in that section? Or am I misunderstanding the question or the premise?

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: September 30, 2005 12:07AM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Tub(a), that seems like an awfully complex system, and an unmonitored line seems like it just puts us back where we started. Is there any compelling reason that I'm missing to ruin student's break and risk an unmonitored line? Sure, no explict university liability, but we want this to work smoothly in addition to be acceptable to the powers-that-be.[/q]

It's not complex at all. It's a much simpler line for a slightly more complicated process game day.

The line is monitored for 5 full days. There will be less desire to get in line early because you are only competing for a GA ticket to a particular section, not a particular seat. Very few people will want to line up before Friday, and if they do they are not guaranteed their position in line.

Athletics will not use any system that jeopardizes academics in any way. A system that requires people to be in a line everyday for 12 hours for any extended period of time will never be accepted.

It doesn't have to happen over fall break, but that time period is the longest without an academic commitment. It could happen on any weeked, with the line starting at 5pm on Friday and ending 6am on Monday. Doing it over Fall Break ensures that the most dedicated fans get tickets to Lynah.

Date: September 30, 2005 12:17AM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

You think people who already have tickets to sit in a particular section at the Harvard game would line up for days in advance just to make sure they get the row they want in that section? Or am I misunderstanding the question or the premise?

Beeeej[/q]

Good point, I wasn't completely thinking clearly.

You know, I think a GA line could be a good idea. Yeah, yeah, I do like it ;) Should severly cut down on early appearances and lining up, and it would reward the more committed fans on game nights.

The only con I see of having the section on the GA ticket (I definitey see the pros - makes game night much easier and avoids overcrowding a section) is that it would reinstitute at least part of the demand for showing up early to the line. Afterall, people don't really show up early to get a seat, they do it to get a section. So would we really be cutting down on the early demand at all?

Now if you did pure GA, then the line problem would be solved. But game night would be a hassle.

I'll toss this out there: what about a pure GA ticket, to solve the line problem fairly conclusively. And when you enter Lynah on game night, you get a section ticket (and possibly stamp) at that time. So you limit the number per section by the physical tickets from the ushers on game night, but avoid the rush.

Thoughts, comments, alternatives?

Date: September 30, 2005 12:24AM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Beeeej Wrote:

Beeeej[/Q]

I'll toss this out there: what about a pure GA ticket, to solve the line problem fairly conclusively. And when you enter Lynah on game night, you get a section ticket (and possibly stamp) at that time. So you limit the number per section by the physical tickets from the ushers on game night, but avoid the rush.

Thoughts, comments, alternatives?[/q]

You want to shift as little of the line to game night as possible. A pure GA ticket would create a 2000 person line every Friday and Saturday, and there would be no cohesion in the section as the people would change every game.

You need to stike a balance between game night line and ticket line in a GA system and selling tickets to a specific section seems to be the best way to do it.

Posted by: cmf46 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 12:35AM

Since Cornell is an "academic institution" I was wondering about instituting a hockey test before the beginning of the season. This could be easily administered on a Saturday night. The idea would be to give tickets out in a fashion that rewarded those who knew the most about Hockey and Cornell Hockey in particular. This test would be multiple choice questions and could be easily scanned and rank students for general admission tickets based on their performance on the test. The test would have four sections. 1. Hockey Rules 2. Cornell Hockey History and Present Players 3. Knowledge about Cornell Hockey Opponents for upcoming year 4. Knowledge about College Hockey in general. This test would help to eliminate the annoying sorority girl or freshman who doesn't understand why the play stopped when the puck was iced or who doesnt know what Hockey East is. I think the idea would help to make Cornell hockey fans the most knowledgable in the country. If we arent already. If this idea is too stupid I also like the idea of having the line form over Fall Break.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 12:54AM

That's an awful, awful idea, but the thought of it actually coming to pass amuses the hell out of me. laugh

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jy3 (---.kaleidahealth.org)
Date: September 30, 2005 05:28AM

[Q]cmf46 Wrote:

Since Cornell is an "academic institution" I was wondering about instituting a hockey test before the beginning of the season. This could be easily administered on a Saturday night. The idea would be to give tickets out in a fashion that rewarded those who knew the most about Hockey and Cornell Hockey in particular. This test would be multiple choice questions and could be easily scanned and rank students for general admission tickets based on their performance on the test. The test would have four sections. 1. Hockey Rules 2. Cornell Hockey History and Present Players 3. Knowledge about Cornell Hockey Opponents for upcoming year 4. Knowledge about College Hockey in general. This test would help to eliminate the annoying sorority girl or freshman who doesn't understand why the play stopped when the puck was iced or who doesnt know what Hockey East is. I think the idea would help to make Cornell hockey fans the most knowledgable in the country. If we arent already. If this idea is too stupid I also like the idea of having the line form over Fall Break. [/q]

the other problem with this is that some noobs eventually fall in love with the game and become avid fans. My wife is a good example. she knew nothing of hockey until she heard f* em up f* em up go CU -> she has been to TONS of away games and had season tickets for 5 years with being on the islands for 2 in between. Nothing like my wife going off on a player at an away game :-D
ps
always should have an alternative solution when I criticize one proposed.
one question, how many more seats are we gaining next year? will that alter things?
I like the general admission by section idea. adding sections where the current locker rooms are will be helpful and will likely be student-desired seats since they are closer than e,f,g.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2005 05:31AM by jy3.

Date: September 30, 2005 07:41AM

They are *not* adding seats on the west end of the rink. At least not at this time. The renevation is more minor than that. If it will have any impact on seating, it will be minimal.

I am unconvinced that a 'section GA' ticket really solves anything. Afterall, who goes to the hockey line saying they want row 13! Or row 13, seat 6. No, people want Section B, or A. And they can still only get it by showing up to the line early, so it seems to me people have almost exactly as much incentive to show up early under that system as they do under the current one.

Also, if you know you have your section B ticket guaranteed, do you really have much incentive to show up early to the games? Sure, it could let you customize your exactly viewing from within the section, but how much incentive is that? Doesn't seem like much.

Combine that with an unmonitored line, and it sounds to me like this is going right back to 2003 - which may not have been dangerous, but was bad enough to kick off this whole era of bad lines. If you're going to do GA, I don't think you solve anything unless you do complete GA, but that makes game nights a bit of a process. Am I wrong?

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 09:24AM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
If you're going to do GA, I don't think you solve anything unless you do complete GA, but that makes game nights a bit of a process. Am I wrong?[/q]

I think the primary thing that GA solves is the getting students to the game early problem.

I'm getting more and more convinced that modified GA is the way to go. And I think that the Fall Break time, with so few academic committments, is likely to be our best option. But if an unmonitored line starts before then, as it obviously will, do we give line numbers out? Who gives them out? Can they be picked up at the ticket office during working hours? Do we have a list at the ticket office or at the line that overnight arrivees must sign? Are we going back to two tickets per line number?

And that test idea amuses me too. While it should never be used to determine who gets in (or else I never would've seen Cornell hockey), it could be a fun line activity. Winner gets a signed hockey stick or something :)

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.labs.pitt.edu)
Date: September 30, 2005 09:28AM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Am I wrong?[/q]

Yes. :-P

The line is monitored when 95% of the people will be there.

Complete GA would just move the line to every single game night. I addressed that above.

There is a question of motivation for a section GA ticket. If you came at the drop of the puck though, you would get a sliver of a board in the second to last row all the way on the wrong side of the section. We know that not everyone stands perfectly still in their alotted number spot. There is still some motivation to getting there early, under the current system there really isn't any (except to appreciate the best Pep Band in college hockey according to CSTV and INCH ;-) )

EDIT: Liz, I don't think they should give line numbers before there are line monitors. In fact, the university may want to break up any line that starts before 5pm, but we all know how that worked out. The reason I said there would be no monitoring of the line before Friday at 5pm is the appearance of avoiding any academic commitment. This is the part of my scheme that would require the most responsibility on the part of the students.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2005 09:32AM by Tub(a).

Posted by: Dave '02 (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 09:28AM

What about a hybrid system of a line and a variety pack? They could sell tickes in two-seat blocks (each person can buy 2 seats next to each other) but the seats are not in the same place for every game. (e.g. section A for some games, B for some games, D for some games etc.) That way it would encourage people to wait in line in order to get tickets but it would discourage people from lining up extremely early since there is no advantage to it. Yes, people would not always get to sit where they want but they would get to see the games and would be surrounded by different people every time, so they could meet new faithful. It would not discourgae facetimers, but it would certainly spread them around the rink.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 09:40AM

Okay, so your system:

1) Discourages people from forming a line,
2) Doesn't discourage facetimers,
3) Doesn't let people sit where they want,
4) Doesn't let people sit with more than one other person they know,
5) Breaks up any semblance of section unity, and
6) Would require significantly more effort, resources, and intelligence from the people running the season ticket sales than any system used before it.

Sounds fantastic. Sign me up.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2005 09:45AM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 09:51AM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:

DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Am I wrong?[/Q]
Yes.

The line is monitored when 95% of the people will be there.

Complete GA would just move the line to every single game night. I addressed that above.

There is a question of motivation for a section GA ticket. If you came at the drop of the puck though, you would get a sliver of a board in the second to last row all the way on the wrong side of the section. We know that not everyone stands perfectly still in their alotted number spot. There is still some motivation to getting there early, under the current system there really isn't any (except to appreciate the best Pep Band in college hockey according to CSTV and INCH )

EDIT: Liz, I don't think they should give line numbers before there are line monitors. In fact, the university may want to break up any line that starts before 5pm, but we all know how that worked out. The reason I said there would be no monitoring of the line before Friday at 5pm is the appearance of avoiding any academic commitment. This is the part of my scheme that would require the most responsibility on the part of the students.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 09/30/05 09:32AM by Tub(a).[/q]

Sounds good to me. Next question: Who monitors the line for 5 days and how do we convince athletics to spend this money?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 10:03AM

I still fail to see why the unmonitored time of the line would be any better than 2003. What if 1000 people show up before the monitoring is scheduled to start? You think only 5% will, but what if 90% do? Are are you just saying 'too bad'? To those who get cut?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.msc.cornell.edu)
Date: September 30, 2005 10:12AM

I don't think they are ever going to do a line over fall break. People would get mad about not being able to go home and see their families, or go on job interviews etc.

Date: September 30, 2005 10:35AM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:

I don't think they are ever going to do a line over fall break. People would get mad about not being able to go home and see their families, or go on job interviews etc.[/q]

I agree with this too. I don't think it would be a bad idea, but I would be very surprised to see them give up their columbus day weekend and risk upsetting parents and students who want to go home over this process. It would be a significant surprise to me too.

If people think 'section GA' tickets are good to make people show up early, that's fine, I have no problem with that, in fact I even like it. But to rely on that soley to decrease the crowding in the line, well, I can't see that working. So I really have to re-nominate the initial process I suggested. You need a monitored line, or no line at all (i.e. a lottery).

I'm fine with section GA, it's a good idea even for game night, but it doesn't help the line situation at all. Fall Break is almost certainly not gonna cut it, so we need some solution for the line process itself.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 10:45AM

[q]I am unconvinced that a 'section GA' ticket really solves anything. Afterall, who goes to the hockey line saying they want row 13! Or row 13, seat 6. No, people want Section B, or A. And they can still only get it by showing up to the line early, so it seems to me people have almost exactly as much incentive to show up early under that system as they do under the current one. [/q]I disagree. When I was getting tickets mid-90's (admittedly in the first to return the form, not line days) I felt significant pressure to get the form in as early as possible so I could get the seats that I wanted - fourth row of B, on the center ice side, at the aisle. Managed to basically get these twice and was rather annoyed one year when I was stuck about eight rows higher up (don't remember why). I suspect lots of people want to sit in a particular location and not just in a specific section.

Date: September 30, 2005 10:49AM

[Q]I still fail to see why the unmonitored time of the line would be any better than 2003. What if 1000 people show up before the monitoring is scheduled to start? You think only 5% will, but what if 90% do? Are are you just saying 'too bad'? To those who get cut?[/q]As long as you monitor the line for a long enough time you shouldn't have a problem. If the school let people line up a month in advance I seriously doubt there would be more than a handful of die-hards who would wait that long. I believe the experiences of other schools with lines bear this out.

That said, I still think there's no reason not to hand out line numbers for that extremely early part of the line. It does mean that you need to do line checks, but how hard is that really when there are 20 or maybe even 50 people waiting online three weeks early?

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 30, 2005 10:59AM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:

[/q]

I am not ready to buy this argument. I don't think there will be a group of 2000 students pushing to get into every game at 5:00 or 5:30 or 6:00 for every game. I'm guessing that there would probably only be at most 50-100 or so students waiting to get in when the doors open (but I don't think Athletics would be willing to leave this to chance). Someone try to convince me otherwise.

People will be much more orderly and respectful because, unlike the desire to get line numbers, there is(are) no definitive "best seat(s)." There is no zero sum-game mentality.

I do agree with you that the lack of cohesion could pose a problem. But I think people will likely want to and be able to gravitate to the same area each game (I don't think you'd show up one week at 6:00 and the next at 7:10).

I like the idea of getting a section stamp the night of the game. This will keep the number of students per section under control and might even be required for fire/safety requirements.

Date: September 30, 2005 12:41PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

I still fail to see why the unmonitored time of the line would be any better than 2003. What if 1000 people show up before the monitoring is scheduled to start? You think only 5% will, but what if 90% do? Are are you just saying 'too bad'? To those who get cut?[/Q]
As long as you monitor the line for a long enough time you shouldn't have a problem. If the school let people line up a month in advance I seriously doubt there would be more than a handful of die-hards who would wait that long. I believe the experiences of other schools with lines bear this out.

That said, I still think there's no reason not to hand out line numbers for that extremely early part of the line. It does mean that you need to do line checks, but how hard is that really when there are 20 or maybe even 50 people waiting online three weeks early?

[/q]

Alright, I'm glad you think from your GA experience that it may make the line a little more lax. Either way though, we definitely need a monitored line. I am very concerned about Tub(a)'s unmonitored line situation. Use my line procedure (well, not mine, but the one I spoke of above), combined with the section GA plan, and I'm fine with it.

Does anyone object to it? Want to point out other concerns? Or is it maybe worth getting Age to put a poll to see if we have any consensus on this?

Posted by: redhair34 (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: September 30, 2005 12:58PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Does anyone object to it? Want to point out other concerns? Or is it maybe worth getting Age to put a poll to see if we have any consensus on this?[/q]

I think we should wait a while longer until other people have time to chime in. Also I think we should try to develop the ideas a little more and iron out all the details. There is no sense in rushing to a conclusion...We have PLENTY of time.

Date: September 30, 2005 01:15PM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote: I think we should wait a while longer until other people have time to chime in. Also I think we should try to develop the ideas a little more and iron out all the details. There is no sense in rushing to a conclusion...We have PLENTY of time.[/q]

Plus, not to rain on anybody's parade, but I'm really not sure how important or even useful it is for this group to come to any kind of consensus. Athletics is under no obligation even to listen to individual ideas, much less view an online discussion group's consensus as good advice.

I think it could be useful if a recognized student group comes forward with a comprehensive, written plan and ideas on how to make it work, including realistic addressing of budgetary, safety, and academic concerns. But eLF users taking a majority vote on whether general admission by section or general admission by game is better? Nobody's asked us.

I genuinely don't mean to be negative, I just wonder whether those of you calling for consensus among this board's users really believe that the consensus will matter.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Dave '02 (---.dyn126.wfu.edu)
Date: September 30, 2005 01:16PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Okay, so your system:

1) Discourages people from forming a line,
2) Doesn't discourage facetimers,
3) Doesn't let people sit where they want,
4) Doesn't let people sit with more than one other person they know,
5) Breaks up any semblance of section unity, and
6) Would require significantly more effort, resources, and intelligence from the people running the season ticket sales than any system used before it.

Sounds fantastic. Sign me up.

Beeeej[/q]

1) If Cornell wants to discourge people from forming a line, then this could do that and it would certainly be better than an angry mob.
2) So far, no system proposed seems to discourage facetimers. If facetimers tend to be friends with other facetimers, is it better to have half a section show up halfway through the first period or have those people dispersed throught half the rink?
3) People frequently don't get to sit where they want, at least this would allow them do do that for a few games.
4) True, but it also does encourage people to meet different members of the faithful.
5) True, but theoretically could create more rink unity - people who know various cheers would more dispersed among the rink, increasing the likelihood of the whole student section
6) True, but that is exactly what should happen even though they would never implement this system.

I'm not saying it is the best answer, or even a realistic one, but it is a different solution and was put forth more in an academic sense than a practical one. There never is going to be a perfect system as every system has various flaws, so why not pose as many alternative solutions as possible? The more ideas that are out there, the better the odds will be of coming up with a viable solution

Date: September 30, 2005 01:32PM

[Q]Dave '02 Wrote: I'm not saying it is the best answer, or even a realistic one, but it is a different solution and was put forth more in an academic sense than a practical one. There never is going to be a perfect system as every system has various flaws, so why not pose as many alternative solutions as possible? The more ideas that are out there, the better the odds will be of coming up with a viable solution[/q]

I agree completely, and I never suggested that you shouldn't have posed it.

As for discouraging facetimers, I think the Duke-style line (or the Fall Break line) does that rather handsomely.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: September 30, 2005 01:40PM

[q]Plus, not to rain on anybody's parade, but I'm really not sure how important or even useful it is for this group to come to any kind of consensus. Athletics is under no obligation even to listen to individual ideas, much less view an online discussion group's consensus as good advice.[/q]Now if the folks on eLF can come up with say $20 million to donate to Cornell Athletics, contingent on the AD implementing our plan for the ticket line, then I think they'd be happy to listen to us. How about it? I'm good for ten bucks. Only $19,999,990 to go!

Posted by: redhair34 (128.84.198.---)
Date: September 30, 2005 02:32PM

You're absolutely right. However, there are individuals on eLF (myself included) who are interested in "coming forward with a comprehensive, written plan and ideas on how to make it work, including realistic addressing of budgetary, safety, and academic concerns." I and a few others are willing to take the chance that Athletics says "thanks but no thanks."

But I'm not going to take that chance until I've thought through several plans, heard what others who have far more experience w/ Cornell Hockey, the Athletics department, the ticket office, past procedures, etc. have to say. This is because I don't want to suggest a ticket policy that won't work, that people don't want or that Athletics wouldn't consider.

We've only begun to debate the merits of GA vs. GA by section etc. We shouldn't rush to a vote until there are clear written plans to compare.

You're right... athletics never asked us, but I think if you approach them/the ticket office at the right time with the right attitude and show you've put plenty of thought and effort into your ticket suggestion, they will at the very least hear you out. Even if they ignore us we could try to get a detailed plan published in the Sun and get student support.

Date: September 30, 2005 03:08PM

I think those are all fine goals, and I applaud you in all sincerity for having them, and for your initiative. But does that mean you speak for eLF? Will you be the one to decide what the consensus was? What about the people who disagree with eLF's consensus, or even disagree with your conclusion as to what that consensus was?

I have absolutely no problem with you collecting opinions and then presenting redhair34's proposal. I even hereby explicitly grant you permission to adopt any of my ideas or suggestions and use them as part of your proposal if you find them worthwhile. But as far as eLF goes - eLF is owned by one person, and it doesn't have any quantifiable "membership." Therefore your call for a vote and your plan to represent eLF's consensus trouble me.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2005 03:17PM by Beeeej.

Date: September 30, 2005 03:16PM

Let me add to that last post just a little bit, in fairness.

I think if you come up with a well-constructed proposal, no matter whose ideas it's based on, and you post it here... and it garners the support of a large number of individuals who post here... my opinion is that you have every right to go to Athletics with it with all those individuals' names attached to it (with their permission, of course), and with the phrase "members of the Lynah Faithful community" at the end of the list of names.

I absolutely did not want to shut down your admirable efforts to put together a thoughtful plan that could benefit us all.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: September 30, 2005 03:25PM

[Q]my opinion is that you have every right to go to Athletics with it with all those individuals' names attached to it (with their permission, of course), and with the phrase "members of the Lynah Faithful community" at the end of the list of names. [/Q]

My plan exactly. We did an open letter once before right? People signed it and it was printed. I'm not sure about what, or if it had any effect whatsoever, but that doesn't mean it's not worth a shot this time.

No one was planning to attach anyone's name to it without permission, and "members of the Lynah Faithful community" was the kind of general title I was thinking of, with people volunteering their names if they agree. And hell, I'd rather not write it, so volunteer away ;-).

Okay, so I was way too early to call for any kind of a consensus.

Right now my main concerns still stand's with the plan having an unmonitored lines until a few days before. Seems to me this would be almost exactly 2003, which was a mess. Seems to me the line needs some kind of control and checks (no physical control necessary if line numbers are distributed immediately, so long as a rush is avoided). I think we're beginning to build a kind of agreement around Tub(a)'s idea - although I expect plenty more discussion on the matter0 - but for myself, I am very opposed to the unmonitored line. I think we've already seen that that doesn't work.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2005 03:35PM by DeltaOne81.

Re: combination?
Posted by: Sam '06 (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: September 30, 2005 03:26PM

I was thinking you could synthesize the lottery idea and the crazy-rush line idea and get the positives from both.

The biggest problem with a lottery is that it's random, and if you do it say online, kids who don't care a bit about hockey can throw their digital names in the hat. The biggest problem with the rush like Monday night was the pushing and shoving to get ahead and the mayhem.

What if you did an announcement similar to this year (or slightly different, incorporating other ideas, but an announcement nonetheless) where students would have maybe 2 hours to get to a location (Riley Robb?) and swipe their ID cards. For those two hours, order doesn't matter. This way there is no shoving and fighting and the line moves really fast -- there's not the same "he's taking my line number" competitive spirit. However many people rushed for tickets this year plus a few more swipe their cards (and they have this technology, the Class of 2006 picnic last week used it masterfully). After 2 hours or so, the lottery is locked. Then, a computer picks 1462 of those people, and they go wait from Friday to 6pm til Saturday 6pm like this year (or they don't, I personally don't see the point since that doesn't deter anyone).

This stops the crazy driving, the injury risks, the fighting. It also stops people who don't _really_ want tickets from getting them, if they aren't ready at a moment's notice to head out to a location on central. Really, anyone who was on central campus patrolling on Monday night deserved a crack at tickets; regardless of what games they'd been to or not, they demonstrated a passionate interest in Cornell hockey. Since there are more of those students than ticket available, someone will always miss out, but this way the system would be as fair as possible while still giving students a good shot at tickets.

Also after the ridiculous spread of line numbers amongst friends this year (and it would continue under my system outlined above), maybe some sort of blocking system like the one they use in the residence halls is in order? Just a thought.

-- Sam

Posted by: redhair34 (128.84.198.---)
Date: September 30, 2005 03:51PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

I think those are all fine goals, and I applaud you in all sincerity for having them, and for your initiative. But does that mean you speak for eLF? Will you be the one to decide what the consensus was? What about the people who disagree with eLF's consensus, or even disagree with your conclusion as to what that consensus was?

I have absolutely no problem with you collecting opinions and then presenting redhair34's proposal. I even hereby explicitly grant you permission to adopt any of my ideas or suggestions and use them as part of your proposal if you find them worthwhile. But as far as eLF goes - eLF is owned by one person, and it doesn't have any quantifiable "membership." Therefore your call for a vote and your plan to represent eLF's consensus trouble me.

Beeeej[/q]

When I mentioned in the other thread that I thought that the "elf posters should take ownership of the ticket process," I meant just that--the posters. I don't speak for elf. However, I would be willing to speak for a group of alumni/students/interested parties who want to come up with a new ticket policy. There proabably won't be across the board consensus as to the best policy. No policy is going to please everyone. However, the more people on elf tend to agree on a policy the more likely it will appeal to a wider audience (as long as we don't neglect the casual fan).

Re: combination?
Date: September 30, 2005 04:00PM

That's basically what the Yankees do to hand out playoff tickets. Everyone who's present at an announced time gets a numbered wristband and then ticket sales begin at a random number.

The problem with this for me is that it provides essentially no advantage for "real" fans. Everyone is treated equally - facetimer and three year road trip veteran alike.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 30, 2005 04:08PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

I absolutely did not want to shut down your admirable efforts to put together a thoughtful plan that could benefit us all.
[/q]

Thank you Beeeej and don't worry, it's hard to discourage me. Just ask my mother:-D

-Rob

Posted by: nshapiro (---.amer.csc.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 04:12PM

So you want a way to prove your dedication, without risking life and limb, and without costing the Athletic Department any time or money? This eliminates monitored lines, dashes to get numbers, and equipment to track attendence at other events. Hmm....

Assuming every Cornell student has unlimited access to a PC, turn the process into a marathon, rather than a sprint. Set up a web site that every student can access, and say that for each day in September that a student accesses the website during 6 different hours, they get a priority point. At the end of September, you will have students sorted into 30 prioritized bins, and then randomly assign numbers within each bin. It is geeky, but it just might work! Call it a virtual line, with user initiated line checks.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2005 04:15PM by nshapiro.

Date: September 30, 2005 04:20PM

...and a bunch of very annoyed public lab supervisors. worry

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: mamat (---.bflony.adelphia.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 04:27PM

I think redhair34 is on the right track. As an alum who did my time on the line in "77, the parent of (2) students and member of the Hockey Association, I am happy to give him my vote!!

Posted by: Dave '02 (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 06:31PM

What if they did a hybrid system? They could set aside x amount of tickets (maybe 150 a game) for freshman. They could have a lottery type system for single game tickets for the freshman. As far as everyone else, they could have a line but not advertise it on the web-site. Have tickets go on on sale in the spring and have them announce when at the games, but have them do it something like 20 minutes before the puck drops. That way the fans who get there early enough to watch warm-ups etc. will know when it is. You would either need to get there early enough to know when it forms or have friends who do. That should cut down on the facetimers b/c they wouldn't get there early enough to hear the announcement and people would be discouraged from telling them about it.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 08:22PM

There has to be a way of "monitoring" the line that still allows athletics to claim they aren't interfering with academics.

Date: September 30, 2005 09:25PM

Tub(a) - and everyone else - do you think, 'overnight monitoring only' would quality?

What about every weekend (weekends only), 3 or 4 weeks in a row from the start of school on. No officially start time announced like the original plan, but only monitor on the weekend.

--------

VERY ALTERNATE IDEA:

I like nshapiro's idea, but what about not virtual?

You show up once per day and check in - sometime during the ticket office hours - and show ID. Maybe two periods per day that count. 10 am until 2 pm (everyone has a lunch, at least most days, right?), and 2 pm until 6 pm or something (details can be worked out later - exact hours, how many 'periods' in a day, etc, etc). Do this for a whole month. At the end of the month, everyone which an equal number of appearances are put in a lottery which each other.

Pros:
- No rush, it's a marathon, not a sprint, in the good words before
- Needs a committment - should reduce facetimers - or if a facetimer is that committed, fine, they win

Cons:
- Ticket office staff requirement - this is committing a lot of their time - alternate: put non-networked computers in the Ramin Room and have students come up and swipe their IDs to register instead of using manpower

Any other pros and cons? Is this one work deliving into deeper? What do you think of it?

Posted by: Mike Nevin (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 10:06PM

The check in idea makes a lot of sense to me.

Actually, I like the idea of fixed daily line checks at say, 11 to midnight and 6AM to 7AM. That makes it a little more of a sacrifice than stopping at the ticket office during the day. Or maybe you make it a strictly points based system, where you get a point for each time you check in.

It seems to me like some reasonable use of technology would make this extremely easy -- a simple cardreader, for most line checks, with the some simple mechanism (video camera? ) to occasionally ensure that the actual number holder is the one swiping the card.

Everyone would be elgible using their own Cornell ID card. You could start the line the next year's line the day after hockey season ended, if you want.

Line numbers could be given out as in the late 80's, more or less -- 2 tix per number. Given out the night before a morning sale, based on accumulated line check points. Sleepover the night prior to the sale required. Possibly restore class based seniority.

My guess is that not that many people would start too early in this process, but whenever they started, it wouldn't add any athletic ticket office overhead.

I think if it were this long running mostly electronic scheme, it would actually allow for all kinds of interesting sports marketing to go along with it -- you could make it a points based system, where you earn points by scanning your card during line checks, but also get points for displaying your knowlege of hockey trivia, attending other Cornell sporting events, or whatever -- maybe attending last year's games? You could also probably also track your line position online, giving it an interactive feel.

Posted by: jy3 (---.bflony.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 01, 2005 04:30PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

They are *not* adding seats on the west end of the rink. At least not at this time. The renevation is more minor than that. If it will have any impact on seating, it will be minimal.

I am unconvinced that a 'section GA' ticket really solves anything. Afterall, who goes to the hockey line saying they want row 13! Or row 13, seat 6. No, people want Section B, or A. And they can still only get it by showing up to the line early, so it seems to me people have almost exactly as much incentive to show up early under that system as they do under the current one.

Also, if you know you have your section B ticket guaranteed, do you really have much incentive to show up early to the games? Sure, it could let you customize your exactly viewing from within the section, but how much incentive is that? Doesn't seem like much.

Combine that with an unmonitored line, and it sounds to me like this is going right back to 2003 - which may not have been dangerous, but was bad enough to kick off this whole era of bad lines. If you're going to do GA, I don't think you solve anything unless you do complete GA, but that makes game nights a bit of a process. Am I wrong?[/q]

i was mistaken as to the location of the new seats. they are adding ~450 seats
[cornell-magazine.cornell.edu]
(16) Lynah Rink enhancements
Type: Renovation and expansion
Start date: Spring 2006
Completion date: Winter 2006
Total cost: $6.5 million
Architect: Rossetti Architects
A “modest freshening” of the famous rink, which will include improvements to the locker rooms, offices, and press box--and 450 additional seats. Most of the expansion will be on the concourse (upper) level of the building's south side.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2005 06:53PM

When Coach Schafer came in and addressed the line he talked a bit about the line procedures. He said that they are going to talk to students about what to do next year, so I think sending our ideas to the people involved will be welcome.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login