Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

INCH "Dream Team"

Posted by pfibiger 
INCH "Dream Team"
Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 11:01AM

An interesting idea..not just the best players, but the best fit players for a team (so unlike an All-American team, has grinders, stay-at-home defensemen, etc).

Moulson is on the 1st line and McKee is the starting goalie (and Casey Jones is the assistant coach). Cornell is well represented.

[www.insidecollegehockey.com]

Re: INCH "Dream Team"
Posted by: mgl11 (198.16.0.---)
Date: September 28, 2005 11:35AM

I know these things don't mean anything...but how do you leave Marty Sertich off this list? He only won the Hobey Baker last year...

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.unwired-upperclass.wm.edu)
Date: September 28, 2005 11:55AM

[Q]mgl11 Wrote:

I know these things don't mean anything...but how do you leave Marty Sertich off this list? He only won the Hobey Baker last year...[/q]

They were looking for players who play two-way hockey...maybe they felt he was all scoring, no D.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 11:59AM

The Jones choice is interesting. Has Casey ever interviewed for a top position? Unless I'm being obtuse (for those who don't know me: always a possibility), I can't think of a Cornell alumnus who is a D-1 mens head coach except for Shaun Hannah at Sacred Heart and The Man Himself at Cornell.

Actually... other than Bertrand and McCutcheon, what other Cornell alums have *ever* been NCAA head coaches? I'd love to use the IHDB for this, but I don't think their search utility is up to it yet.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 12:14PM

Casey would seem to be the logical heir apparent at OSU if Markell were to leave. But Markell is only in his late 40's, judging from his '79 BG graduation date, so I wouldn't expect him to retire anytime soon.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 12:28PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

The Jones choice is interesting. Has Casey ever interviewed for a top position?[/q]

He's definitely applied for head coaching jobs, most recently the Vermont opening that Sneddon filled. He's often mentioned as one of the next assistants to fill a big opening, but I get the impression he's being selective, not applying for jobs at Canisius etc.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 06:53PM

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:
An interesting idea..not just the best players, but the best fit players for a team (so unlike an All-American team, has grinders, stay-at-home defensemen, etc).

Moulson is on the 1st line and McKee is the starting goalie (and Casey Jones is the assistant coach). Cornell is well represented.[/q](This is going to sound like a slight against Moulson, but that's not how I mean it. I'm sure you guys will understand.)

It says a lot about how hockey is played in the other conferences that they consider Moulson to be "rugged" and defensive-minded, since he's one of the more offensive-minded guys (and, IMO, the most purely offensively gifted player) we've seen at Cornell in a while.

Posted by: mtmack25 (---.lightlink.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 10:01PM

I agree, he plays Cornell hockey which means big D, but it had been a while before he came that anyone on our team could score without a massive scrum in front of the net. Thats not to say that he is still the only one, though. And don't say Doug Murray, he's special.

Posted by: Molgestron (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 09:25AM

Not to slight our guys, but it seems like they picked the most controversial team possible. Hence, Kessel on the first line, Andy over Marty, and actually picking the best backup goalie in their mind, not the second best goalie. The WCHA guys at USCHO have got into a mini flamefest about this, claiming that the team wouldn't make the Final Five, etc. but there were some interesting picks.

And I've heard a little about Cashman from Q but I had no clue he led AH in scoring as D. It'll be interesting to see what kind of numbers he comes up with this year.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.oracorp.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 09:49AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Actually... other than Bertrand and McCutcheon, what other Cornell alums have *ever* been NCAA head coaches?
[/q]

Tim Vanini was head coach at Cortland for a couple years -- this was a while back, and I believe he left the job to go to grad school.

Posted by: Nate 04 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 10:00AM

[Q]Molgestron Wrote:

and actually picking the best backup goalie in their mind, not the second best goalie[/q]

That was there exact intention. I think they even made the analogy in the write up, but it's the same kind of idea of the closer in baseball. Obviously Curt Schilling isn't the greatest closer in the world. And Mike Timlin shouldn't be coming into the game with guys on base. But you've got pitchers who can warmup in a matter of a few pitches and have the mental capacity to be called spontaneously off the bench in a tough situation and come in and shut the other team down. The second best goalie in the game, may not be able to just jump off the bench and come into the game without going through his whole warmup routine. INCH claims this guy can.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 10:14AM

[Q]Molgestron Wrote:
The WCHA guys at USCHO have got into a mini flamefest about this, claiming that the team wouldn't make the Final Five, etc. but there were some interesting picks.

And I've heard a little about Cashman from Q but I had no clue he led AH in scoring as D. It'll be interesting to see what kind of numbers he comes up with this year.[/q]What can you say about that, some WCHA fans are idiots. There's some serious talent on that team (e.g. Hafner is about three times the defenseman in his own end that that asshole Welch was).

Cashman led AH in scoring as a D and as a *sophomore*. I'm looking forward to seeing him play this coming year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login