Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Sun on hockey line fiasco

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell Sun on hockey line fiasco
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 07:35AM

Nicely phrased closing to today's Daily Sun editorial:

[www.cornellsun.com]

[q]Cornell’s men’s ice hockey program is world-class. Cornell’s hockey fans are world-class. So why should we have a system that requires that we act like savages in order to get into Lynah?

Next year, something has to change. The University should invest a little time and money into a system that has failed consistently over the past four years.

Hey athletic ticket office, the students called. They said …[/q]

Re: Cornell Sun on hockey line fiasco
Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: September 28, 2005 02:02PM

Question about General Admission: what if one has to go to the bathroom? (And don't give me any of the "real fans will hold it" responses.)

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.law.ucla.edu)
Date: September 28, 2005 02:07PM

I just want to say that normally, when a link to The Sun is posted on eLF, it's usually critical and often nitpicking, and then when people come to The Sun's defense, it's typically to say that nobody ever points out that there is good writing to be found there also.

Well, thanks for pointing out some good writing.

Don't say I never appreciated a positive comment.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 02:08PM

GA doesn't mean you lose your seat if you leave it at any time during the game, it just means the seats are available first come, first served.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: September 28, 2005 02:18PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

GA doesn't mean you lose your seat if you leave it at any time during the game, it just means the seats are available first come, first served.

Beeeej[/q]

Then how does one mark out their territory so as to not lose it?

Date: September 28, 2005 02:31PM

I assume one relies on the people in the seats around one. Or fisticuffs, which could be an entertaining diversion for the fifteen minutes between periods.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 02:37PM

[Q]French Rage Wrote:

Beeeej Wrote:

Beeeej[/Q]
Then how does one mark out their territory so as to not lose it?[/q]

If you're leaving to go to the bathroom, I'd think that was obvious.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 28, 2005 02:40PM

I am a big believer of the General Admission policy. I plan on trying to convince athletics that it is the correct way to go, and show my willingness to bring the plan to fruition. I think you identified one of the biggest shortcomings of a GA policy. I for one like to talk to my father and grandfather about the game durring intermissions. It is a hard problem to solve.

One thing I can say, is that the last two years there has been plenty of de facto general admission seating on the part of the students.

First Example: student gets into section D but stands with his friends to rows down.

Second Example: student from D gives friend from G their ticket stub and student from G stands with his friend in D.

If you did a spot check on most nights I'd be willing to bet that a third of the student section isn't in their assigned spot (it will be far more widespread this year, perhaps for good reason). It isn't fair for the many students who obey the ticket assignment rules. A general admissions policy would make this sort of behaivor a non issue.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2005 08:00PM by redhair34.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (128.84.198.---)
Date: September 28, 2005 02:53PM

I totally agree. I think it would get people to the games far earlier or at least the people that really care.

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:

I am a big believer of the General Admission policy. I plan on trying to convince athletics that it is the correct way to go, and show my willingness to bring the plan to fruition. I think you identified one of the biggest shortcoming of a GA policy. I for one like to talk to my father and grandfather about the game durring intermissions. It is a hard problem to solve.

One thing I can say, is that the last two years there has been plenty of de facto general admission seating on the part of the students.

First Example: student gets into section D but stands with his friends to rows down.

Second Example: student from D gives friend from G their ticket stub and student from G stands with his friend in D.

If you did a spot check on most nights I'd be willing to bet that a third of the student section isn't in their assigned spot (it will be far more widespread this year, perhaps for good reason). It isn't fair for the many students who obey the ticket assignment rules. A general admissions policy would make this sort of behaivor a non issue.[/q]

Date: September 28, 2005 03:07PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

I think it would get people to the games far earlier

[/q]

This is very important. The "announce the line and let people line up whenever" idea doesn't address the embarrassing fact that most games the majority of students don't show up until after face-off. A general admission policy might not fill the student section before face-off, but it would result in a lot more people showing up on time. I've heard Schafer say that as a player there is nothing more intimidating than skating out onto the ice of an opposing rink for warm-ups when the place is packed. Instead of trying to find a ticket policy that rewards the most deserving fans, we should try to champion a plan that rewards the most deserving fans AND makes Lynah "all it can be." From what I can gather this is the plan that best accomplishes those two goals.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 04:27PM

The rink was general admission by section for a number of years in the 90's. There was never a problem with people losing their seats because they went to the bathroom. First of all most people either go with friends or at least know some of the people around them and it's unlikely that everyone is going to need to go to the bathroom at the same time (admittedly I am a guy...) Secondly, as long as you don't head of fto the concession stand two minutes after faceoff I didn't know anyone who would try to grab your seat as soon as you got up.

So from experience this isn't a problem.

Date: September 28, 2005 04:40PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

The rink was general admission by section for a number of years in the 90's. There was never a problem with people losing their seats because they went to the bathroom. First of all most people either go with friends or at least know some of the people around them and it's unlikely that everyone is going to need to go to the bathroom at the same time (admittedly I am a guy...) Secondly, as long as you don't head of fto the concession stand two minutes after faceoff I didn't know anyone who would try to grab your seat as soon as you got up.

So from experience this isn't a problem.[/q]

Thank you. That is good to know.

Based on your experience, did a limited general admission policy increase the student turnout before face-off?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2005 04:42PM by redhair34.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 07:05PM

If anyone puts together a petition advocating some form of general admission, I'll be the first in line to sign it.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 07:19PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

If anyone puts together a petition advocating some form of general admission, I'll be the first in line to sign it.[/q]

We'll be starting such a petition, but you have to listen to WVBR every night next week to find out when and where people can start signing it. nut

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.wireless.pitt.edu)
Date: September 28, 2005 07:28PM

[Q]cornelldavy Wrote:

I just want to say that normally, when a link to The Sun is posted on eLF, it's usually critical and often nitpicking, and then when people come to The Sun's defense, it's typically to say that nobody ever points out that there is good writing to be found there also.

Well, thanks for pointing out some good writing.

Don't say I never appreciated a positive comment.[/q]

A broken clock is right twice a day :-P

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 07:34PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:
We'll be starting such a petition, but you have to listen to WVBR every night next week to find out when and where people can start signing it.[/q]I wouldn't actually mind that if I didn't have to listen to the crappy weekend lineup.

Date: September 28, 2005 08:02PM

[q]Based on your experience, did a limited general admission policy increase the student turnout before face-off?[/q]There were definitely more people present at faceoff than there are today (well, according to reports anyway - haven't made it to Lynah since '01 I think). Whether that was due to GA or just changes in people's priorities is uncertain, but I suspect GA definitely helped.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 09:57PM

A simple solution to this specific GA problem would be to have Athletics make a unique stamp for every section (maybe with the ugly bear logo and a large block letter of the section). Each game night you get your hand stamped (different color ink from Friday night/previous game) whenever you get to the rink with the section of your choice. As for over filling the sections … while one usher is stamping hands the other has a “pitch-counter thingy” that umpires use in baseball keeping track. When the appropriate number of hands has been stamped the section is closed (maybe even with a little chain across the top of the stairs).

I know there are issues within my procedure: (1) There is the problem of two entrances into each section or walking across from one section to another; solved by only allowing students in one entrance per section. Stopping students from walking into sections may be tougher to stop, although a simple check of their stamps will tell the tail. (2) There will then be a line at the top of each section; solved using a combination of means: the longer lead time allows for the sections to fill more slowly and/or having the CUPD (already present) take an active role by removing anyone who creates a problem. It’s not prefect but I think it would do wonders for getting the student Faithful to the game before face-off.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 10:25PM

Or will one person be sent early to claim seats for the whole group? That is what I usually find in general admissions settings. Sure it's not polite, or perhaps even allowed, but are you going to get into a fistfight over it? Or will the ushers be up to resolving those disputes? Are you thinking that you would buy season tickets which would give you a seat-hunting license, or would you forget the season tickets completely and let people buy tickets for each game on a GA basis? [Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

I totally agree. I think it would get people to the games far earlier or at least the people that really care.

redhair34 Wrote:

I am a big believer of the General Admission policy. I plan on trying to convince athletics that it is the correct way to go, and show my willingness to bring the plan to fruition. I think you identified one of the biggest shortcoming of a GA policy. I for one like to talk to my father and grandfather about the game durring intermissions. It is a hard problem to solve.

If you did a spot check on most nights I'd be willing to bet that a third of the student section isn't in their assigned spot (it will be far more widespread this year, perhaps for good reason). It isn't fair for the many students who obey the ticket assignment rules. A general admissions policy would make this sort of behaivor a non issue.[/Q]
[/q]

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 11:04PM

My memory may be off a little, but because of the rare down-turn in the hockey team's success in the early '90s there was much less of a demand for tickets than there has been more recently. I don't remember ever having much trouble buying tickets for individual games. I even got tickets to the two home games against Colgate in the '96 playoffs (2 wins, 8-3 and 8-1) the year after I graduated with no problem. I think the lines would be much, much longer for GA each game day then it was then.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 01:23AM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:

Based on your experience, did a limited general admission policy increase the student turnout before face-off?[/q]

I can't attribute it to that, but there were definitely a LOT more students in the stands for the pre-game warmups in the early-mid '90s. Those were also the days were Sections F-H sat mainly empty, so it wasn't like there was limited space like today. Also, half the games (Friday nights) started at 7:30. A majority of students were in their 30:00 before introductions...being loud.

I think it's just a change in the mindset of today's students. Somewhere along the way, the need to get in the rink for some choice heckling/social time during warmups petered out for whatever reason. Today, it just seems normal for the students to start heading over to the game at 7, instead of 6, and have a majority of a student section unoccupied at puck-drop.

Maybe they have better things to do...like tending their blogs, cell phones, and SUVs. *shakes cane*

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 01:50AM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

redhair34 Wrote:

Based on your experience, did a limited general admission policy increase the student turnout before face-off?[/Q]
I can't attribute it to that, but there were definitely a LOT more students in the stands for the pre-game warmups in the early-mid '90s. Those were also the days were Sections F-H sat mainly empty, so it wasn't like there was limited space like today. Also, half the games (Friday nights) started at 7:30. A majority of students were in their 30:00 before introductions...being loud.

I think it's just a change in the mindset of today's students. Somewhere along the way, the need to get in the rink for some choice heckling/social time during warmups petered out for whatever reason. Today, it just seems normal for the students to start heading over to the game at 7, instead of 6, and have a majority of a student section unoccupied at puck-drop.

Maybe they have better things to do...like tending their blogs, cell phones, and SUVs. *shakes cane*[/q]
A corollary to this is that not many students know how to properly heckle outside the proscribed "school sucks" call and response. What percentage of the student section do you think keeps up with college hockey enough to make fun of Joe Forward for that game DQ he got the week before? Not that many. And of those that do, not all of them have the courage or the vocal chords to let fly in the middle of warmups or anytime during the game. Even in the pep band, the amount of individual hecklers has dropped considerably since my freshman year.

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.vnnyca.adelphia.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 03:07AM

I know the issue of whether to instruct fans as to how to cheer has been batted around over and over on the forum, usually with the conclusion that it wouldn't work, but as far as solving the issue of how to heckle...I'd suggest doing what UCLA does for its home football and basketball games.

Every game, students arrive to find a flyer on each seat in the student section, entitled "Dirt From The Den." The flyer has some info on the basics for that game (leading scorers, trends, the important players on each roster and their numbers, etc.), but it also digs up the sordid details on some of the opposition's players and lists them to provide some heckling material for fans. For example, before the game against Oklahoma recently, there was info about OU's QB being cited for underage drinking, Adrian Peterson's truancy issues, and a defensive lineman who was kicked off the team (but reinstated) after punching a friend so hard the friend required facial surgery.

It's not instructions on how to cheer...just a little background material. (There are a few other things, like UCLA traditions and lyrics to a few of the commonly played songs.) And a lot of students do take a look at it. I don't know how easily these things can be discovered, but various schools' student papers probably have run unflattering things about their own players at one time or another.

If anyone cares, you can take a look at past Dirt From The Den here:
[www.studentgroups.ucla.edu]

Posted by: Nate 04 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 07:32AM

I bet starting games a half hour later than they are now would help a bit. I know when I was in school that it was hard to get something to eat and be up to the game before 7, just because i wasn't used to eating dinner before 6:30.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 07:51AM

Somewhere in one of these many boxes, I still have my copy of "Section D Tonight," the 1987 Lynah equivalent of "Dirt from the Den" that was on my seat at the beginning of my first ever Cornell hockey game. It did include a few instructions on cheering, but also background on the teams as cornelldavy suggested.

It's really not a bad idea. But someone's got to commit to doing it, and doing it right.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Robb (---.northgrum.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 09:23AM

Yeah - and it can't get TOO personal. No cell phone numbers, for example! :-(

Far worse than the cell phone incident was when a guy I knew found out that one of the UVM (I think) player's girlfriend had just dumped him. He was there before warmups and really got into the guy's head in very many horrible, nasty, over-the-top ways. Too far.

Date: September 29, 2005 10:58AM

[Q]Robb Wrote:
Far worse than the cell phone incident was when a guy I knew found out that one of the UVM (I think) player's girlfriend had just dumped him. He was there before warmups and really got into the guy's head in very many horrible, nasty, over-the-top ways. Too far.[/q]

I think a good rule of thumb is that misfortunes resulting from the player's own misdeeds are okay (suspensions, the whole UVM elephant walk thing, that pothead SLU goalie, NCAA violations), but situations where the guy may just have been the victim (girlfried left, mother died, etc) ought to be off limits. I guess this means we should reconsider into which category puking on the ice falls. yark

Date: September 29, 2005 11:10AM

Actually, his returning to the net after puking (and making the ref shovel the puke off the ice - what a beautiful sight) was one of the gutsiest -- excuse me, bravest things I've ever seen. :-)

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: September 29, 2005 11:27AM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Actually, his returning to the net after puking (and making the ref shovel the puke off the ice - what a beautiful sight) was one of the gutsiest -- excuse me, bravest things I've ever seen.[/q]

I really felt bad for PC's backup goalie, who didn't even get to play in the consolation game. How much do you have to suck not to get the start in a meaningless consolation game when the other goalie played one of the longest games in college hockey history the night before and puked on the ice in the middle of it? help

Date: September 29, 2005 11:51AM

[Q]I bet starting games a half hour later than they are now would help a bit. I know when I was in school that it was hard to get something to eat and be up to the game before 7, just because i wasn't used to eating dinner before 6:30.[/q]I've heard this excuse before, but it doesn't make sense to me. How hard is it to grab dinner a little early every other Friday? Or grab a snack and then eat Hot Truck later? It's really a question of priorities. If getting to the hockey game on time is important then it's really easy to do so. If keeping a regular feeding schedule is more important, then well...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login