Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

News from the front… worst line ever

Posted by ORgrad 
News from the front… worst line ever
Posted by: ORgrad (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:00AM

You folks joining me in section B should start doing your hockey cheer homework.

By far the worst line in my 3 years here, and that’s coming from grad line #23 (roughly undergrad #200). How can 1300 pushing students be expected to squeeze through a single door at Lynah? What about all those fools pushing from the right who didn’t know there was a railing between them and the door? I saw numerous women fall down/get trampled/ twist their ankles. Some gave up halfway to the door -- either due to injuries, asthma/panic attacks or claustrophobia -- and tearfully screamed their way out the opposite direction of the chaotic mass.

The police directing traffic were good for preventing the car-vs.-pedestrian accidents intimated by last year’s procedure. However, the security manpower was clearly needed at the front. If you weren’t there, just picture a few hundred students crammed on the stairway leading up to the main doors outside of section A.

Afterwards (~45 minutes after the initial announcement) the police were re-deployed to front of Lynah where they were needed all along. But mass chaos was still in effect and it was hard for a handful of shoving officers to try to squeeze the remaining students on the steps into some semblance of a line. Clearly these were the people right at the borderline of receiving tickets and many were frustrated by the sudden changes in (shoving) procedure that the officers brought with them.

Grad students with line numbers around 100 were screwed the worst, as in all the chaos some representative from the athletic department decided an hour into it that they should be in an entirely different line (duh) and so those that actually made it into Lynah later found out that late arriving grads had leapfrogged them by way of the ‘new’ grad line forming by the ticket window.

Heard lots of chants along the way, lots of comments about Gene Nighman’s family. I certainly think it’s time for one of the injured students to step forward and sue the Athletic Department for negligence. Maybe then they will finally feel some pressure to get rid of some of the gratuitous leniency shown alumni Nighman (who is consistently cursed every year but usually survives the process because the students who firsthandedly observe the chaos end up with tickets and are content to hold onto them rather than risk some backhanded revocation of tickets for calling upon him to resign). Whether you ended up with a number or not, start writing those letters to the Cornell Daily Sun, even if we can’t get Mr. Nighman fired, it will definitely make for a good read throughout the week.

Mr. Nighman, if you’re reading this and want to have a roundtable session with eLynah faithful about what a better procedure might look like (especially one with a goal of minimizing injuries), you know where to reach us.

Re: News from the front… worst line ever
Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:03AM

Re: Roundtable discussion:

Been there, done that. 1991. How do you like the results?

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jaybert (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:04AM

i smell like the bushes out front after getting pushed into them for 20 minutes before the line began to move

Posted by: ORgrad (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:06AM

We don't blame YOU Beej. Here's a start: how about no season tickets for freshmen (the hockey diehard freshmen will get tickets somehow, I didn't have season tickets my first year in Ithaca and still managed to get to most games).

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:08AM

Oh, I didn't think you blamed me. I just didn't want you getting your hopes up that having a representative of Athletics sitting down and "listening" to people who had constructive suggestions would actually result in any positive changes.

It really is astonishing how every year they completely forget every lesson they possibly could have learned from previous years.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:10AM

This year's ticket line killed my father, and raped my mother. :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

Posted by: bjybjy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:11AM

[Q]French Rage Wrote:

This year's ticket line killed my father, and raped my mother. [/q]

I don't think the girl that had the ambulance called for her would find this very funny. And neither do I.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:16AM

[Q]bjybjy Wrote:

French Rage Wrote:

This year's ticket line killed my father, and raped my mother. [/Q]
I don't think the girl that had the ambulance called for her would find this very funny. And neither do I.[/q]

No, but perhaps people who don't have a stick up their ass and get the reference do. rolleyes

Posted by: mtmack25 (---.lightlink.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:23AM

Is a sad attempt at humor really that important to you? You don't need be insulting. Someone actually got hurt at an event that is supposed to lead to a lot of fun for everyone. I think bjybjy has a good point.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2005 12:24AM by mtmack25.

Posted by: canuck25 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:25AM

I agree, this definitely does not call for humor. Someone at athletics (Gene) should have to answer for all this!

Posted by: MB (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:28AM

I was there in under 1 minute, and still got number 1276. This was the absolute worst idea ever. There's no way to do a smart crowd control IN A BUILDING. Nightman should have known that at least 1/4 of the campus will be in one place tonight. You need a big open field for those kinds of numbers if you're going to do it this way.

But what about this girl? I was in a massive clump of confusion, so I have no idea what happened. Can anybody elaborate?

Posted by: bjybjy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:33AM

[Q]MB Wrote:

But what about this girl? I was in a massive clump of confusion, so I have no idea what happened. Can anybody elaborate? [/q]

I don't know exact details but I was just a few feet away. Basically the cops were physically forcing people back from the front, but the middle and back of the line didn't know. I guess the girl was in the middle and got pushed against. When I first saw her she was on the ground sprawled out. Dunno if she actually got trampled or not. One guy near me said her arm was all bloody, but I couldn't see in the dark. EMS 'ambulance' SUV was called and were treating her for awile and were still with her when we left.

Hope she is ok...

Posted by: Molgestron (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:35AM

I wasn't aware that anybody required really serious attention. When we left, there were a handful of people on the curb being treated by EMS for what looked like cuts- one of them might have been the girl you're talking about. It didn't look extremely serious but it's certainly worse than nothing. Of the 15 people I was with, almost everyone had small cuts or bruises. One small girl hurt her back and another said she had almost fainted from being crowded in.

Not good news, and hopefully this girl had something minor.

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:39AM

[Q]ORgrad Wrote:

Mr. Nighman, if you’re reading this and want to have a roundtable session with eLynah faithful about what a better procedure might look like (especially one with a goal of minimizing injuries), you know where to reach us.

[/q]

I will be all four a roundtable discussion. If we do this I think us faithful just think of new ideas for the line since I dont think they will ever have the line at this time again because of the threat that students will miss school. But seriously there has to be a better way then 2000 ppl standing around center campus waiting for an announcement and then creating a huge mob because of the sheer number of ppl.

Posted by: Joe T (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:48AM

One of my friends got shoved into the pavement about 50 yards from Lynah by some ass. All of the skin on one of his knees is gone. He got better tickets than I did, though. I feel bad that he has to block with me around 500 numbers behind where he was.

Posted by: mtmack25 (---.lightlink.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:52AM

Feel bad for your friend's knee, good for him to stay in the game. Doesn't matter where your sittin in Lynah, as long as your with friends. To be honest, G has a pretty nice view, except that its our defensive end for 2 periods.

GO RED!

Posted by: krodh293 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 01:31AM

People need to cut Cornell Athletics some slack - who could have predicted that getting 2000 people in one place trying to climb a flight of stairs and squeeze through ONE door would result in injury?

I really hope this disclaimer is unnecessary, but the ironically-challenged should note that the statement above is sarcastic.

Posted by: Jimmy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 01:38AM

How's this for an idea. If you get tickets both your freshman and sophomore years you are guaranteed the first line numbers for your junior and senior years. I think two years of getting the crap beaten out of you for a line number shows pretty good loyalty to the team and cornell hockey. If you didn't buy tickets both your freshman and sophomore years you have to run and fight for line numbers just like everybody else. Seems fair to me...anybody else?

Posted by: line ah (205.232.74.---)
Date: September 27, 2005 01:38AM

That was a disaster like few i have ever seen. Those on the right side who pushed got in, those on the left got to go home empty handed having moved a few feet. While it is annoying that they did the line switch for the grads, it is beyond unfair that the undergrads who were stuck on the "wrong" side got nothing. Surely such a great school as this should have had the foresight that would have allowed them to ensure some semblence of order and equity.

I do not agree with my fellow grad student that people should sue the school, however i have to believe that through a combination of greater manpower and planning this can be improved. Lining people up along the side of the Lynah and wraping them around would might work. A single file by the stadium. A few more people to control the line might be a good idea too. As an aside, to the female officer who did very little, pulling some guy out of the line because he looked at you funny does not consitute helping to control the crowd. But if this is all to hard, let people camp out to get a number. This would remove some of the facetimers, and give those who want the tickets the most the greatest shot at getting them.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 01:45AM

To cut them a little slack, I heard that the original plan was hampered slightly and caused part of this problem. Originally the Lynah doors were to be open and the line would form going straight through to where we got our numbers. However, there were already people inside lynah at the time of the announcement so they had to close the doors and get them out and make them go around. Of course, they might have thought about that problem ahead of time. I was saying to my friends all along that if they were smart they would do it somewhere that inherently made a 1-directional line so you wouldn't have a mob of people going in every direction. Instead, they had 2 places where they funneled people from different directions in the line. I think it was pretty damn stupid and maybe Gene should ask some students to consult him on the procedure next year because we are clearly more intelligent than him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login