Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[FOOTBALL] Cornell at Yale

Posted by jtwcornell91 
[FOOTBALL] Cornell at Yale
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2005 01:10PM

Ivy opener. The Red are 1-0 and the Elis 0-1 in non-conference play.

There is allegedly an audio stream at [allaccess.cstv.com] but as of 9 minutes after kickoff, it's still unavailable. I don't care enough to track down the Yale feed.

Cornell up 3-0 by the time the feed comes up. Yale gets an INT and converts it quickly (first play) to a TD, but misses the PAT. 6-3 Elis early in the 1st.

37-17 final. Not much fun.

Re: [FOOTBALL] Cornell at Yale
Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 01:14PM

CSTV is still reporting no stream. Growl.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 01:18PM

Stream is available now, but it's time to get some complaints going this week. Maybe even start pressing for some partial refunds - just because there better be a financial downside for them or they can just keep doing it. We'll discuss that later.

Posted by: Football (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 24, 2005 01:18PM

9:18 left in the 1st, 3-0 Cornell. Yale just punted and Cornell has the ball on their own 11.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 01:55PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Stream is available now, but it's time to get some complaints going this week. Maybe even start pressing for some partial refunds - just because there better be a financial downside for them or they can just keep doing it. We'll discuss that later.[/q]

It would be nice to hear the pregame show for that matter.

Halftime = Ouch
Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2005 02:48PM

23-3, Yale. Suddenly I don't as confident as I did this morning. :-(

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.rh.psu.edu)
Date: September 24, 2005 03:53PM

5:58 left in the 4th

Yale 37
Cornell 17

Not that there's much time left, but there's free audio at:
[yalebulldogs.collegesports.com]

Posted by: Willy '06 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 06:22PM

I was there. It was ugly. I left towards the end of the third quarter when it was 30-3. The offense couldn't score, and the defense coudn't cover the passing.

Re: [FOOTBALL] Cornell at Yale (lose 37-17)
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 09:08PM

Gorgeous warm, almost hot fall day at a crumbling Yale Bowl (but it's being rebuilt).

Cornell has a very intricate offense that confused the Yale defense on the first drive (3 points for Cornell) and thereafter also seemed to confuse Cornell. That said, on that first drive, Cornell just ran all over Yale (the first three Cornell plays from scrimmage all went for first downs) until the offense stalled 10 yards from the end zone.

On most plays, the Cornell backfield turns to the sidelines as the play is called in. Maybe it's a good idea, but the Yalies felt it meant the Cornell players couldn't figure out what to do without being told everything to do.

Either Yale's passing offense is very good or Cornell has a ways to go against the pass. Yale receivers got around or behind Cornell at will, it seemed. Cornell *appeared* to be playing a prevent defense throughout the game - 3 steps away frm the receiver, letting him make the catch but not allowing a touchdown. (Except for the five passes that did go for TDs.)

A half dozen (more?) penalties and three turnovers in the first half really crushed Cornell. Maybe Cornell's offense is going to take a couple games to jell.

By the time the game was no longer in doubt, the freshman QB from Palo Alto, Nathan Ford, came in, went 10x17, 112 yards passing, moved the team well, and was there for the two TDs. Interesting to see who gets the nod next weekend, Ford or senior Ryan Kuhn, who's a pretty good runner. A couple times Kuhn seemed to have trouble pinpointing his receivers, excepting three or four throws right on the money but a yard or two out of bounds. It could also be the receivers weren't where Kuhn expected them to be. It was made all the worse comparatively by Yale lofting a 70-yard TD pass early in the first quarter.

Cornell was the better team in the first four or five minutes. Yale was better overall. Not 20 points better, though.

Yale had more people there than Cornell, but Cornell had way more people paying full price ($15) for tickets than the Yalies who opted for the $6 tickets (ropes keep them on the far sides of the 30-yard lines), or brought employee IDs/passes. The Big Red band had more people there, too, than the Yale band, but then you expect that; it's like Cornell hockey where the only question in the Ivy League most years is who's second best. Neither band did much that was risque; I miss the old days. The new Big Red bear uniform seems friendlier to little kids. I wonder what the person inside the bear costume smelled like at day's end. It was a warm one.

It was good that Cornell made the final score not 30-3 but 37-17, which doesn't sound quite so embarrassing. And one Cornell DB damn near picked off a pass midway through the fourth and ran it back to close to 30-24, excepting he was out of bounds or dropped the ball (forget which) at the sidelined and immediately thereafter Yale lofted another bomb to the end zone.

Hey, it's a darn sight better than Cornell football of two years ago.

Re: [FOOTBALL] Cornell at Yale (lose 37-17)
Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2005 12:58AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Yale had more people there than Cornell, but Cornell had way more people paying full price ($15) for tickets than the Yalies who opted for the $6 tickets (ropes keep them on the far sides of the 30-yard lines), or brought employee IDs/passes. The Big Red band had more people there, too, than the Yale band, but then you expect that; it's like Cornell hockey where the only question in the Ivy League most years is who's second best. Neither band did much that was risque; I miss the old days. [/q]
Athletics has a pretty tight leash on us these days. I don't fully understand why we always bend over for them though, considering they stick up for us... never. Of course Yale athletics wouldn't even let the trombone or trumpet sections wander around the stadium (where there was nobody sitting) to play a few cheers here and there. What's wrong with people these days? It's just a band.

[q]The new Big Red bear uniform seems friendlier to little kids. I wonder what the person inside the bear costume smelled like at day's end. It was a warm one. [/q]
Lots of people complain about the new huggy bear costumes, but I actually quite like them. Anything's better than the eyeless snout-and-forehead-share-a-horizontal-plane costumes of 2-3 years ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login