Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New Transfer Forward

Posted by calgARI '07 
New Transfer Forward
Posted by: calgARI '07 (209.2.88.---)
Date: September 20, 2005 10:51PM

There is a new transfer forward this season but I haven't been able to find out his name or where he played last. Obviously being a transfer he has to sit out a year but I think he is a junior this year. Not sure if transfers are allowed to practice with the team or not but he is definitely not officially on the team right now. All the same, it is noteworthy. Anybody have any details on this?

Re: New Transfer Forward
Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 11:15PM

[q]Not sure if transfers are allowed to practice with the team or not but he is definitely not officially on the team right now.[/q]The one year restriction is on competing and on receiving travel funds.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 01:13AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
Anybody have any details on this?[/q]

Right now, you're the one with the details. How did you find out about the player?

Posted by: calgARI '07 (209.2.88.---)
Date: September 21, 2005 01:19AM

From some very reliable sources.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 01:46AM

It's Chris Fontas, who played at UMass Lowell for 2 years, and is now enrolled at Cornell.

Post confirming this:

[board.uscho.com]

CU Directory info:

[www.cornell.edu]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2005 01:47AM by pfibiger.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 02:40AM

Chris Fontas has scored three goals and six assists in 68 games for UMass Lowell. Even if he never becomes a top-12 forward, I believe that bringing Fontas on board is a shrewd move. The class of 2008 started with six players. After a year of attrition, four remain. Sasha Pokulok won't surprise anybody if he signs with the Capitals next summer. Cornell cannot count on Raymond Sawada returning for his senior season. A two-person senior class for the 2007-08 season (Topher Scott and Doug Krantz) would likely have been a problem. Many of Cornell's recent down seasons have coincided with having a small senior class (e.g., 1993-94, 1997-98, 2003-04). So, increasing the size of the senior class and hopefully adding another leader seems like a good idea.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 10:30AM

Fontas has played two years, so he'll still have two years of eligibility left, as Vinnie Auger did, correct?

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.oracorp.com)
Date: September 21, 2005 10:48AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Fontas has played two years, so he'll still have two years of eligibility left, as Vinnie Auger did, correct?[/q]

Assuming Fontas didn't red-shirt before playing his two years at Lowell, he'll have two remaining after he sits out the transfer year.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: September 21, 2005 10:54AM

He definitely didn't redshirt. He's listed in the correct recruiting year on Heisenberg's list of recruits from '03.

[members.aol.com]

#Chris Fontas-LC (8/15/02)  	Cushing Prep  	6'1 190 -84  	xx-4-18-22

And there's Ari's next NE Prep School player. He just took 2 years to get here :)

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 12:06PM

I believe the old rule was you could certainly practice with the team. Unclear if you could take athletic scholarship money (believe so, but not an issue for Ivy schools). Also I believe if you have a year of eligibility left after your fourth season and continue on for your five-year BA degree, or start grad school at Cornell, I believe you can keep playing. At the least, some Cornell athletes who complete four years but not four years of sports played in the fifth academic year on the Hill.

The rule is mostly to keep coaches from poaching to get a solution to your problem in the very next season. But it also obviously affects students who realize their complete needs aren't being met and who really want to transfer. If you transfer all the way to DIII you can play immediately.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: September 21, 2005 12:23PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
Also I believe if you have a year of eligibility left after your fourth season and continue on for your five-year BA degree, or start grad school at Cornell, I believe you can keep playing. At the least, some Cornell athletes who complete four years but not four years of sports played in the fifth academic year on the Hill.
[/q]

Ivy rules preclude you from being on a varsity team as a grad student unless you are entering no more than your 8th semester, eligible by ncaa standards or not. See Kevin Rooney '03 and the football team. He graduated early and despite sitting out a season with an injury was denied a fifth year because of his accelerated academics and grad student status (he was in his 9th semester at the outset of the football season and was no longer working towards a bachelor's degree).

I'm not sure how this rule applies to transfer students though...

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: September 21, 2005 12:49PM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:
Also I believe if you have a year of eligibility left after your fourth season and continue on for your five-year BA degree, or start grad school at Cornell, I believe you can keep playing. At the least, some Cornell athletes who complete four years but not four years of sports played in the fifth academic year on the Hill.
[/Q]
Ivy rules preclude you from being on a varsity team as a grad student unless you are entering no more than your 8th semester, eligible by ncaa standards or not. See Kevin Rooney '03 and the football team. He graduated early and despite sitting out a season with an injury was denied a fifth year because of his accelerated academics and grad student status (he was in his 9th semester at the outset of the football season and was no longer working towards a bachelor's degree).

I'm not sure how this rule applies to transfer students though...[/q]

Isn't Kevin Boothe a "5th year senior"? At least I believe that's what the Sun labelled him a few weeks ago... How does that work?

Posted by: Jerseygirl (209.191.246.---)
Date: September 21, 2005 01:02PM

It means he was injured, applied for and received an injury redshirt and is still working toward his degree with undergraduate coursework. I think. I'm not looking it up.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 11:58PM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:
[/Q]

I'm not sure how this rule applies to transfer students though...[/q]
It's been quite a few years so the rules could have changed, but I remember Joe Holland transferriing to Cornell, sitting a year, then playing both senior year and a year while working on a masters degree.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 11:40AM

[q]It's been quite a few years so the rules could have changed, but I remember Joe Holland transferriing to Cornell, sitting a year, then playing both senior year and a year while working on a masters degree. [/q]FWIW, there are a number of ways you can work on both an undergrad and a grad degree simultaneously at Cornell. This could get around any Ivy restrictions while still allowing the student to work toward an advanced degree in his final year of eligibility.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 08:38PM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:
[/Q]
Ivy rules preclude you from being on a varsity team as a grad student unless you are entering no more than your 8th semester, eligible by ncaa standards or not. See Kevin Rooney '03 and the football team. He graduated early and despite sitting out a season with an injury was denied a fifth year because of his accelerated academics and grad student status (he was in his 9th semester at the outset of the football season and was no longer working towards a bachelor's degree).[/q]

Interesting. My sister's senior year, her boat placed 4th at Nationals. The stroke in the boat was doing the fasttrack 7 year BS/DVM thing. Which meant she had vet classes everyday at 8am. Which meant the boat was on the water at 6am everyday. coffee Funny part was, my sister would be getting up for practice every morning when her architect housemate would be coming home from studio.

Anyway, based on what you posted, I assume my sister's teammate was still eligible because she hadn't officially finished her BS yet?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login