Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Ticket Procedure Released

Posted by calgARI '07 
Ticket Procedure Released
Posted by: calgARI '07 (209.2.88.---)
Date: September 20, 2005 04:01PM

Re: Ticket Procedure Released
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.hyatsv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 04:19PM

Someone is gonna get run over this year, and it'll be Gene's fault.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 04:23PM

So students will be able to pick up their line numbers - determining in what order they'll get to choose their seats - quickly and go home...

...yet once they've paid for their tickets, and everyone knows exactly in what order people will get to choose their pre-paid seats, then they're required to spend 24 hours in line?!

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 04:40PM

So now they have a line so you can stand in line? That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: September 20, 2005 04:42PM

Over/under on final post count in this thread?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 04:44PM

I'll take over 5 :-P

Date: September 20, 2005 04:49PM

It's amazing how many ways you can fuck up what should be a simple process.

Date: September 20, 2005 04:54PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

So now they have a line so you can stand in line? That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. [/q]

Ah, not only that, but you also have an announcement (today) announcing that an announcement will be announced.

Why can't today press release (or release this closer to October 1st) just say "Tickets will be sold starting at 6 PM on October 1st. Two tickets per person maximum. That is all."

Hand out line numbers as people arrive, whenever they damn well care to arrive. One person per line number. Tack on $5-10 to the cost of the season tickets to pay for line security. Said security does a line check unannounced overnight. No number, you're gone. No excuses. The end.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: September 20, 2005 05:20PM

I agree with Jordan. You need to reward those that want it the most. IMHO, there probably should've been someone in Minneapolis last year handing out 2005-2006 line numbers to anyone with a student I.D. who made that trip. It would be a pity if those real fans get shafted by a procedure that obvious doesn't reward those who are most willing to sacrifice their time to support the team.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2005 05:45PM by jkahn.

Date: September 20, 2005 05:31PM

Students who were to Minneapolis.... I like that idea.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 05:33PM

IMO, the best solution is to announce the ticket sale far in advance and then let people line up whenever they want. Use Jordan's suggestion of a security surcharge - explicitly called out, not just an increase in face value of tickets - to pay for security and line checks.

But of course, the school is still afriad of anything resembling the fiasco of 1991, so they want to keep as tight a rein on the process as possible. The over night stay is a concession to the line "tradition" which serves no purpose.

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 05:54PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

So students will be able to pick up their line numbers - determining in what order they'll get to choose their seats - quickly and go home...

...yet once they've paid for their tickets, and everyone knows exactly in what order people will get to choose their pre-paid seats, then they're required to spend 24 hours in line?!

Beeeej[/q]

I'm not getting your point(s). This is basically what's happened for years, except they're handing out numbers one night and postponing the wait until Friday night (although I guess they could hand out line numbers on Friday night). This should minimize the impact on schoolwork, prelims (if any), etc..; no mid-week waiting like last year.

Seems to me paying in advance can only speed things up. And if you pay and your number becomes invalid, I'm sure you can get a refund.

Posted by: French Rage (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 05:56PM

So wait, you wait for the announced line, go there, get your number...and then return Friday for the Ramin Room (I would guess) line? That's....sorta wierd.

And of course letting people camp out when they want to is obvious, but they've clearly shown theywould never do that.

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 06:06PM

Seems to me the most relevant change is one ticket per student. This should make tickets available to a broader student base. It will also double the processing!

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 20, 2005 06:14PM

Well the processing is getting spread out over a long time from when the release the line numbers to that friday until 1. I hate this ticket procedures here, I have never seen any other school have such a stupid process. They should just release when the tickets are going on sale and then let a line form when it forms, even if it hurts the academics a little bit. Is waiting around doing nothin every night better then waiting around in a line for several days, I really dont see a difference except for the real fans get the tickets if you can line up whenever.

Posted by: Canuck99 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 20, 2005 06:56PM

I would have to agree. This method is stupid -- one overnight stay??? What's the point? Either a line should be allowed to form as early as students want, or line numbers should be released earlier with a significant amount of overnight stays (to weed out facetimers). This method does not reward the true fans at all. NOTE: I also agree with the Minneapolis idea.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 07:06PM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

I agree with Jordan. You need to reward those that want it the most. IMHO, there probably should've been someone in Minneapolis last year handing out 2005-2006 line numbers to anyone with a student I.D. who made that trip. It would be a pity if those real fans get shafted by a procedure that obvious doesn't reward those who are most willing to sacrifice their time to support the team.[/q]

Oooh, I like that idea too. Except I've graduated and moved to Florida since I went to Minneapolis with a valid student ID...can I get a ticket to both regular season Harvard games in lieu of season tickets?

Athletic department: please read this thread and keep this idea in mind for future years.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 07:17PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

IMO, the best solution is to announce the ticket sale far in advance and then let people line up whenever they want. Use Jordan's suggestion of a security surcharge - explicitly called out, not just an increase in face value of tickets - to pay for security and line checks.

But of course, the school is still afriad of anything resembling the fiasco of 1991, so they want to keep as tight a rein on the process as possible. The over night stay is a concession to the line "tradition" which serves no purpose.[/q]

Wasn't the problem in 1991 a stampede when the ticket line location was leaked? It seems like this cockamamie scheme is more likely to result in a stampede.

Seriously, why not just announce a month in advance that the tickets will go on sale at 6pm in a specific place on a given Sunday, and let people line up as far in advance of that as they're willing to. Line-waiting is supposed to be a self-regulating phenomenon; introducing an artificial campout is just plain stupid, especially given that what actually determines whether and what tickets you get will be the madcap race to get line numbers.

On the plus side, only one ticket per student should make it easier to sell off my extra $15 tickets... rolleyes

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 07:46PM

I'll bet there's a liability issue. By announcing that tickets go on sale on day x, time y, the university is creating an event. When people line up early, without supervision, and something happens, some shithead from Five Towns will sue them and probably win.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 08:10PM

I don't see why they can't say "tickets on sale at 8pm Sunday night" and make that announcement with location on, say, Thursday night/Friday morning at 2am. You would only miss one academic day, and the stampede may be reduced by having a ridiculous start time and longer overall time commitment for the line.

You pick a place with the capacity for a large crowd and have police/security ready at announcement time. Kick out people who skip. Hand out line numbers as people arrive. Line checks every hour.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 08:40PM

It doesn't explicitly say 1 or 2 tickets per line number. Anybody know which it is?

Date: September 20, 2005 08:41PM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:

It doesn't explicitly say 1 or 2 tickets per line number. Anybody know which it is?[/q]

It says at the top that only one ticket per line number.

Date: September 20, 2005 08:45PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Jacob '06 Wrote:

It doesn't explicitly say 1 or 2 tickets per line number. Anybody know which it is?[/Q]
It says at the top that only one ticket per line number.[/q]

Whoops, didn't see that. Thanks.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 08:50PM

Am I the only one who thinks this might work? Look, I was always in favor of just announcing when and where the tickets would be sold, and then let an informal line start whenever. However, I have come to realize that everyone is terrified of a problem and lawsuit. Afterall, when I went to ask about continuing to throw candy, they had to check with Risk Management, and the answer was NO. It was too risky, someone could get hurt by a piece of candy. Nevermind that candy has been thrown for years, and nevermind that we don't know if any of those people have ever been to a game, it's just too risky. Maybe I should have asked them to put a statement of the back of the ticket saying candy throwing is inherently dangerous, but is part of the game.:-D

So, with that background, this system seems reasonable. The only problem is the race to get to the site the first evening. Maybe it'll be like openning the gates for a European soccer game and people will be crushed to death.worry

Once that is resolved, the payment in advance, and at a leisurely pace is reasonable, and the overnight allows for some bonding and sacrifice. rock And I really like the 1 ticket limit.

Why can't the season start now:`(

Date: September 20, 2005 09:00PM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:
The only problem is the race to get to the site the first evening. Maybe it'll be like openning the gates for a European soccer game and people will be crushed to death.
[/q]

It was pretty ridiculous last year with pedestrians running in front of cars etc. I saw one guy got pulled over by cupd for speeding and all his friends jumped out of the car to get line numbers. Its probably more "risky" than just letting people line up when they want to.

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 10:01PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

So now they have a line so you can stand in line? That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. [/Q]
Ah, not only that, but you also have an announcement (today) announcing that an announcement will be announced.

[/q]

worse yet, they may tease you for six straight nights from 9-11:30pm. and what's up with announcing ticket info over WBVR? is this a radio promo or something? if i were an evil station manager, i'll make the announcement at 11:29 pm of the last possible day. that's 15 hrs of air time from eager hockey fans!

Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 10:04PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:
Wasn't the problem in 1991 a stampede when the ticket line location was leaked? It seems like this cockamamie scheme is more likely to result in a stampede.[/q]

My recollection is that the "line" was behind the Crescent. Overnight as more people showed up it became less of a line and more of a mass. At roughly 6 AM the stadium lights were turned on and almost simultaneously everyone stood up and started pushing toward the one opening in the chain link fence.

Date: September 20, 2005 10:06PM

Like Jim says, it's the best choice other than the correct one (by which I mean, better than the old "we'll tell you when and where but don't come before then";).

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 10:16PM

Here's the problem with an overnight line at all. You see, the line itself has become face time.

"You were on the line? Yeah, me too. No, I don't care at all about hockey, but I slept overnight in the fieldhouse. Hey, let's go get drunk."

Therefore, the only way an overnight line could ever possibly work is to just allow it to form as soon as people want. Therefore, the hardcore people could be there, well, now... and the sane people could drift in slowly, without a 'ready set go' for facetimers. But, the administration would never allow it, so we end up with this stupid stuff. Not that I care, doesn't affect me anymore ;)

However, I agree with Jim (always good company to be in), I really like the one ticket thing. Now the people who are going just to go have to be a committed group, not just half of one. If Jill is going out to the bar every night that week cause it's her 21st birthday the previous weekend, and Jack's ex girlfriend is in town and he's gonna try to get her drunk, and etc, etc, then they don't get tickets. And since they're the frat and sorority president, well, rather than their little minions sucking up to them by getting them ticket, maybe the group just won't bother.

Who knows, it's worth a shot.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 10:24PM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

I agree with Jordan. You need to reward those that want it the most. IMHO, there probably should've been someone in Minneapolis last year handing out 2005-2006 line numbers to anyone with a student I.D. who made that trip. It would be a pity if those real fans get shafted by a procedure that obvious doesn't reward those who are most willing to sacrifice their time to support the team.[/q]

Line numbers to those alumni who also made the trip, of course.

Aw, crap.
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 11:25PM

Well, it looks like I'm screwed out of getting a seat in the student section this year, unless I get some help. So, who wants to help me out here? C'mon current students, you know you want me there. :-)

Date: September 20, 2005 11:56PM

Now you're really talking!

Simple Line Solution
Posted by: ajec1 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 21, 2005 12:24AM

Skip the line...join the band!

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 01:13AM

Yeah, free tickets and free trips: Pep Band is cool.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to be in marching band to join Pep Band. Just show up to practices and go to a bunch of other sporting events that, in all honesty, aren't that bad. Macrophiliacs find volleyball entertaining*. For some unknown reason**, "sprint" or, as we used to call it, "lightweight" football can be rather fun to watch. Though I never remember going to a game, from what I've read***, field hockey would certainly be a hoot.

If the current Pep Band webpage weren't such a disaster, I'd refer people to it. (Hint, hint.)

So, show up and give the lazy, non-psycho "marching band is more important to me than pep band" types a run for their priority points.

* [ banana ]
** [ drunk ]
*** [www.cornellsun.com]

Posted by: that loud guy with the hair (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2005 03:35AM

- 1 ticket per student.
- announcement some night, between 9-11:30 to line up
(Reaction in 3...2...1...)

wtf cuss flipd

(ok, time for some actual words)
This isn't "waiting in line" anymore; it's playing a f*cking game. I seem to be cursed with this optimism that athletics will try to reward its most supportive fans; instead they take a sh*t in our f*cking mouths.

We're serious about hockey. How about giving us a way that we can seriously be sure that we'll get some tickets. Ugh! bang Morons!

- that loud guy with the hair rock

P.S. Yes, I realize that I should have probably slept before posting about this, but dammit I'm mad now!

P.P.S. I haven't posted for awhile. So hi everyone.

P^3 S. Ugh! bang Morons!

Posted by: aznxjz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2005 08:57AM

question:

does anyone know what section/rows the grad tickets are in? I am an undergrad turned grad and am considering grad tickets. Also, can grad students get undergrad tickets? (i want to be in B, of course)

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2005 09:06AM

[Q]Townie Wrote:
Beeeej Wrote:
...yet once they've paid for their tickets, and everyone knows exactly in what order people will get to choose their pre-paid seats, then they're required to spend 24 hours in line?![/Q]
I'm not getting your point(s). This is basically what's happened for years, except they're handing out numbers one night and postponing the wait until Friday night (although I guess they could hand out line numbers on Friday night). This should minimize the impact on schoolwork, prelims (if any), etc..; no mid-week waiting like last year.[/q]

(Edit: My network problems ate the original version of this post while I tried to edit it for one freakin' typo shortly after Al's response... I'll try to recreate it. Bleah.)

My point is that supposedly Schafer wants the rink filled with the students who want it the most. The only reasonable measure of desire, IMHO, is how long one is willing to wait in line in order to get the best position on line. This system's measure is how many traffic laws you're willing to break to get there in two minutes instead of four; it's short-sighted and potentially dangerous. Plus, just as Sun staffers and their friends were often among the first few dozen on line back when the Sun had announcement responsibilities, I wouldn't be surprised to see VBR staffers and their friends take the first few lines numbers this year.

Staying overnight was never an end in itself; it was simply what you had to do if you wanted a good place on line. Is there an element of "I did it, you should have to, too" to my opinion? Perhaps, but at least when I slept overnight on line and got my seats of choice, I knew it was because I'd made a conscious decision to sacrifice a day or two in order to get the best position on line, not because I'd driven faster than the next guy or had a friend with questionable ethics. Requiring students to stay overnight in the Ramin Room (or wherever) is a waste of Cornell's resources, and ultimately pointless since everyone will have received their line numbers days in advance. You really want Cornell hockey fans to "bond"? Make 'em line up in order of their desire to get tickets.

Lastly, I don't think the one-ticket-per-person policy is a good idea. It may eliminate a few facetimers (and alumni hangers-on), but mark my words, there will be a bunch of students who should get tickets but who won't, through absolutely no fault of their own, for valid, unavoidable reasons.

I don't know that there is a near-perfect way to distribute season tickets without someone thinking it's a bad way to do it. But this ain't it.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2005 10:02AM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 09:09AM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:
My point is that supposedly Schafer wants the rink filled with the students who want it the most. The only reasonable measure of desire, IMHO, is how long one is willing to wait in line in order to get the best position on line.[/q]
This makes so much sense and is so obvious that it's not surprising Athletics is unable to comprehend it.

Re: Simple Line Solution
Date: September 21, 2005 10:50AM

[Q]ajec1 Wrote:

Skip the line...join the band![/q]

....you just won't be able to say "suck" anymore.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2005 12:54PM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:

Yeah, free tickets and free trips: Pep Band is cool.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to be in marching band to join Pep Band.[/q]
True. I got more than a dozen emails from non-MB folks asking to join the pep band, many of whom showed up to our first rehearsal. Is more than a dozen equal to the 200-person power of the marching band, well no, but in my experience people outside the 51 ticket minimum usually drop out after the season starts anyway.

[q]Just show up to practices and go to a bunch of other sporting events that, in all honesty, aren't that bad. Macrophiliacs find volleyball entertaining*. For some unknown reason**, "sprint" or, as we used to call it, "lightweight" football can be rather fun to watch. Though I never remember going to a game, from what I've read***, field hockey would certainly be a hoot.

If the current Pep Band webpage weren't such a disaster, I'd refer people to it. (Hint, hint.)[/q]
And whose fault is the current Pep Band page? Perhaps the people who created it in its hideous form on AOL Hometown in 1996? Rest assured I am working on it, I've got the CSS all laid out and everything, it's just that we only got internet hooked up at our house yesterday. Now the FTPing can commence!

Excuses, excuses.

I have to admit I really resent the "join pepband because you get free hockey tickets" mentality. I would prefer that people, you know, be able to actually play instruments. :-P

Posted by: Pace (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: September 21, 2005 01:48PM

This is absolutely nuts! Will it take someone dying to make the University see how stupid this procedure is?

Spending just one night once you already have an almost specific seat prepaid is pretty stupid but whatever, I can do that.

What I just don't understand is why Athletics doesn't see that this rush for the line numbers will get someone killed. Seriously, any Sun staff here? Please run a warning this week that as of Sat 24th the roads around campus will be death traps between 9pm and 11:30pm every night!

The University doesn't want to risk a lawsuit if they let us line up whenever? Okay. Well how's this headline gonna look, "Two Cornellians run over by five other Cornellians speeding to get their line numbers".

Stupid, just so stupid....

Posted by: Beeeej (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: September 21, 2005 02:09PM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:I have to admit I really resent the "join pepband because you get free hockey tickets" mentality. I would prefer that people, you know, be able to actually play instruments.[/q]

You mean actually play pep band instruments? Never stopped me. nut

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: September 21, 2005 02:14PM

[Q]The University doesn't want to risk a lawsuit if they let us line up whenever? Okay. Well how's this headline gonna look, "Two Cornellians run over by five other Cornellians speeding to get their line numbers".[/Q]

I think they don't want to risk your grades by letting you line up whenever. Grades before life is probably the credo of about a third of the campus and most of the governance anyway.

Well, that's a bit harsh, at least towards the governance. I would guess that they were in such a concern not to allow you to miss a few classes that they didn't even bother to think about your safety.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 21, 2005 02:16PM

[Q]Pace Wrote:

What I just don't understand is why Athletics doesn't see that this rush for the line numbers will get someone killed. Seriously, any Sun staff here? Please run a warning this week that as of Sat 24th the roads around campus will be death traps between 9pm and 11:30pm every night!

[/q]

I agree with this point. Like someone else already said, last year was dangerous. On the way back from picking up my line number I almost got ran over. People were abandoning cars left and right. This year's 1 ticket policy just multiplies the problem. Instead of 700 (ish) students wreaking havoc on campus it will be more like 1400. I won't be at all surprised if someone is seriously injured.

Date: September 21, 2005 02:31PM

[q]I agree with this point. Like someone else already said, last year was dangerous. On the way back from picking up my line number I almost got ran over. People were abandoning cars left and right. This year's 1 ticket policy just multiplies the problem. Instead of 700 (ish) students wreaking havoc on campus it will be more like 1400. I won't be at all surprised if someone is seriously injured.[/q]Yes, but if someone is injured by a reckless student driver the blame (read liability) is more clearly directed at the driver and not the school. After all, Cornell can't be responsible for how the students drive, can it?

Date: September 21, 2005 02:35PM

No, of course not. If I run someone over it's not Cornell's fault. However, if Cornell created a situation which induced people to behave dangerously and someone got hurt, then Cornell is very morally liable, and can actually still be held legally liable also.

Posted by: canuck9 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 21, 2005 02:44PM

Well said. You should be running this instead of those who are currently out of touch with what the faithful really want. Best idea i've heard yet.

Posted by: canuck7 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 21, 2005 02:50PM

There are grad tickets in B, D, F, and G if I am not mistaken. Certainly, there are tickets in B and D. These tickets last year were on the side that borders the vip "C" seating. About 5-10 seats on the inside of those sections (all rows too) were reserved for Grad students.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: September 21, 2005 03:10PM

I think a fair way to have this line would be to simply announce that on October 1 or whatever date you have in mind, tickets will go on sale starting at whatever time you want.

Tell people they are allowed to wait in the west stands at schoellkopf as early as they want to allow the market to dictate the price in time waiting. Then setup an ordered list, with one person from athletcs or security or wherever taking names and monitoring it. And do random spot checks of people on the list (you can allow one person to represent two or three others to cover class times). You could even say that no one can be added to the list between midnight and 6 am or something until the last night or two. You could even move it indoors for those nights.

This would cut down on the crazy driving because you'd allow the line to start early enough that you wouldn't have to risk life an limb to get a ticket, you'd just have to act fast to get first dibs.

It also creates some semblence of order and safety because of the way the west stands are structured (only a few ways in or out, lighting, a sound system, seating, etc.). And on top of that, it will benefit athletics because teams like field hockey will suddenly have 200 times the numbers of students showing up for games.

I don't know, it just seems easy to create a system that is more fair and safer than the one proposed.

It's also worth noting that Cornell is not the only place struggling with this. As a grad studen at uconn, i've been inundated with information on basketball tickets. Here's their (stampede provoking) policy:

Students may begin to occupy a position in-line starting at 2:00 pm on
Friday, September 23rd. There will be no lining-up prior to this time.
Campus police and event staff will be clearing the area prior to this
time.

Students must remain in-line as there will be no saving spots for groups
or individuals.

Wristbands will be distributed at an "unannounced time" on Friday,
before the sale. You must be in-line at this time to maintain your
priority.

Once given a wristband you will be given information on what time to
return on Saturday to purchase your tickets. Do not remove your
wristband. It must remain intact. Wristbands are not transferable.

After receiving your wristband on Friday, you may either leave or get in
the appropriate line on FAIRFIELD WAY.

Regardless of whether you leave or stay, you must be in-line (in
wristband number order) on FAIRFIELD WAY at your designated wristband
time.

If you have a wristband and arrive after your designated time slot, you
have forfeited your priority in line.

Date: September 21, 2005 03:43PM

[q]Students may begin to occupy a position in-line starting at 2:00 pm on
Friday, September 23rd. There will be no lining-up prior to this time.
Campus police and event staff will be clearing the area prior to this
time.

Students must remain in-line as there will be no saving spots for groups
or individuals.

Wristbands will be distributed at an "unannounced time" on Friday,
before the sale. You must be in-line at this time to maintain your
priority.

Once given a wristband you will be given information on what time to
return on Saturday to purchase your tickets. Do not remove your
wristband. It must remain intact. Wristbands are not transferable.

After receiving your wristband on Friday, you may either leave or get in
the appropriate line on FAIRFIELD WAY.

Regardless of whether you leave or stay, you must be in-line (in
wristband number order) on FAIRFIELD WAY at your designated wristband
time.

If you have a wristband and arrive after your designated time slot, you
have forfeited your priority in line. [/q]

This at least shows me that we're not the only ones who make these procedures to best fit the interests of the University, rather than those of the ticket-buyers.

Any type of "you may not line up until x time" clause in the procedure is wonderful for reducing the costs spent on staffing the line, securing the line, and is wonderful for keeping students going to class, and so on and so forth.

Unfortunately, from the ticket-buyer's perspective, this is precisely the biggest flaw in these procedures. People will try and line up early. People who didn't try will complain. What's considered in line and what's not? If I decide to watch every soccer and football practice behind Bartels, am I lined up? "But I'm just watching practices!" Do I have to be 50 feet away? 75? 100? And on, and on, and on, and on.....

I'm not really sure if there's a compromise between the two points of view, because they're so disparate. Myself and others in this thread have given the obvious solution from the ticket-buyer's perspective: "Tell me when you're selling tickets, and I'll line up as early or late as I want to line up." But it seems unrealistic that we'll ever see that.

Date: September 21, 2005 03:47PM

[Q]Pace Wrote:

No, of course not. If I run someone over it's not Cornell's fault. However, if Cornell created a situation which induced people to behave dangerously and someone got hurt, then Cornell is very morally liable, and can actually still be held legally liable also.[/q]

See Slope Day.

Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 03:51PM

there must be 4 main priorities to consider when designing a system:
(1) fairness: any student has the same ability to get a line number
(2) acadmeic integrity: not many missed classes
(3) safety: speaks for itself
(4) merit: the most dedicated fans get tickets/best tickets. (currently defined by the heuristic "waits longest in line" which is probably pretty accurate)

this particular system announced this year and designed last year emphasizes fairness and academic integrity at the expense of safety and merit. the problem is, i believe most individuals would agree that this prioritization of elements is out of sync with the spirit of the culture and the needs of the university. instead, safety and merit should be emphasized first in designing a line system.

the 4 values are not necessarily in conflict. consider the following: allowing students to line up when they want will satisfy merit. allowing them to do so well before tickets will be sold will prevent a bumrush, securing safety. in such a system, if students can only wait at nights, academic integrity is still preserved. and, fairness still exists as long as the line is policed/regulated and the overall waiting is not excessively long (which would bar those with labwork/jobs/theses).

i think the conclusion here is that the current system only tackles part of the elements required to have a successful line process. by emphasizing fairness and academic integrity, it does so at the extent of what should be considered more important priorities.

that is not to say that improvements have not been made over the last 6 years. waiting in line after you guarantee tickets still weeds out some who care less. moving away from a lottery system also is a move towards merit. and recognizing that a "no preline" policy creates an angry, unregulated mob ready to stampede preserves safety. the problem is that the administration has taken these lessons and moved in a different direction than many faithful would like.

as a final point, i think it's important to consider that several logistical improvements have been made each year running which make the process better (pre-paying etc).

-mike '04

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: September 21, 2005 04:01PM

The ticket line will never be perfect because demand always outstrips supply. See last year's thread on the griping. Even back when I was a senior in 2002, things weren't perfect.

[elf.elynah.com]

Date: September 21, 2005 04:07PM

The fact that demand outstrips supply is a feature, not a bug.. If there were a surplus of tickets then there wouldn't be much of a line, because why would you need to commit time and effort when you can get in on game day anyway? Some people would line up in order to get the best seats reserved, but you wouldn't be risking stampedes.

Date: September 21, 2005 05:55PM

Not really. The University has sought to regulate Slope Day to control its liability. The University is not trying to control the line, it's gotten rid of it. Instead, it has created a potential for a brief and totally uncontrolled situation which is likely to result in someone getting injured. I'm insulted by the fact that the University has pursued this policy solely with the goal of minimising liability and expense in mind, and with no regard for our safety, even if from each other.

Date: September 21, 2005 06:11PM

You're insulted that the school is primarily worried about liability and expense? I guess you must feel insulted a lot...

Date: September 21, 2005 06:45PM

[Q]Chris 02 Wrote:

The ticket line will never be perfect because demand always outstrips supply. See last year's thread on the griping. Even back when I was a senior in 2002, things weren't perfect.

[/q]

Huh?

Simply because everyone who wishes to purchase a ticket will not doesn't mean the process to determine who gets those tickets can't be perfect or logical.

An easy example is every playoff game in any major New York sport, which has demand outstripping supply. What do they do pretty much every single time? They announce the date of sale and that's pretty much it. And people line up they deem appropriate. Oh, and they don't have some stupid pre-announcment-announcment telling everybody when they're going to tell everybody that tickets are on sale. (Geez, look at that last sentence. You can't even write what Cornell athletics does without the sentence looking stupid.)

Date: September 21, 2005 06:58PM

True, but the Yankees don't have to even pretend that they care whether their customers fail out of school or lose their jobs in order to get tickets. And I don't recall

Date: September 21, 2005 07:18PM

Here's a thought. How about a system that truly rewards fans who attend games and show up on time? Before every home game have ushers swipe a student's ID in addition to taking a ticket. Athletics then stores a record of how many games each student have actually attended. Then when it comes time to sell tickets the next year, rank all students according to how many games each has attended over the past three years. This provides automatic seniority benefits for upperclassmen who have attended regularly and gives credit for actually attending games, not just buying tickets (like the NCAA system does). Use bins (0-5 games, 6-10, 11-15, etc.) instead of simple numercial ranking to eliminate some noise and to not screw freshmen compared to the senior who's been to 2 games in 3 years. But perfect attendance should be in a bin by itself.

People who end up in the same bin could be given tickets/priority on either a first come first serve basis (meaning lines, but on a smaller scale) or by random lottery.

As a further incentive you could give bonus points for all students who enter during or prior to warmups, thus getting people in the rink for faceoff (and maybe making a few extra bucks on concessions). Similarly, give no credit to anyone who arrives after the puck is dropped (spare me any whining about how hard it is to get to the rink on time).

Further, you could consider adding bonus points for buying playoff tickets through the ticket office, though I'd only do this in special cases (e.g. Minneapolis) and when they don't sell the entire allotment. It's not really fair penalizing the guy who gets shut out at the ticket office and buys his tickets off USCHO.

The above would largely eliminate the need for a line with security concerns while rewarding fans who have demonstrated loyalty over time. Obvious downsides are the cost of creating and maintaining an attendance database (equipment and manpower) and the possibility that it would slow down lines at the entrances to the rink (swiping ID cards). It would take three years to implement fully (building up a database). It's also ripe for gaming unless ushers actually verify that the picture on the ID matches the face, making them into something akin to bouncers.

Anyway, just an idea for open consideration.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 21, 2005 07:22PM

I love it

Date: September 21, 2005 08:29PM

I just wish there was a procedure that would have the place full for warmups. Then Lynah would be unquestionably the hardest place to play in college hockey and the atmosphere would be even better than it is now.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2005 08:29PM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: September 21, 2005 09:02PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

I just wish there was a procedure that would have the place full for warmups. Then Lynah would be unquestionably the hardest place to play in college hockey and the atmosphere would be even better than it is now.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 09/21/05 08:29PM by calgARI '07.[/q]

Make the student section general admission.

or

lie about start times.

Posted by: Canuck8 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 21, 2005 11:45PM

Simply sell season tickets; however, at 7:00 (6:45, whatever), you sell all remaining tickets as general admission. Those season ticket holders not there at the designated time, forfeit the ticket to that specific game.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2005 11:53PM

i agree the system this year is going to get someone hurt but since we can't change that now i'm just hoping for a good distribution time. saturday night around 10:30 would probably cut down on a lot of people who really don't deserve it as much, especially since its a lot harder to run when you're drunk drunk

Posted by: dsr11 (38.117.250.---)
Date: September 22, 2005 07:42AM

You know, back in the late 90s (or early 2000s, I can't remember), Dave Matthews played at Cornell. Everyone knew tickets would be tough to get (he played at Bailey). Some people with inside information got news from the Cornell Concert folks that tickets would go onsale at a given date and time and location for ticket sales (the fieldhouse, btw). No lineup information, no hokey announcements, nothing. Primarily word of mouth. This information was spread around about 5 days before tickets went on sale. Some people lined up immediately, bringing tents, camping gear, and food. There was no stampede, things were orderly. Police didn't kick people out of line. Die hard fans spent 4-5 days in line, most people spent about 24-36 hours. At a completely random time, I think about 12 hours before tickets actually went onsale, people from the concert commission came around and gave out line numbers and sent everyone home. They told us when to come back and buy tickets based on line number, and everyone did. There were no riots, no stampedes, and nobody got hurt. And cornell outdoor ed made a crapload of money from people renting tents, sleeping bags, tarps, and just about everything else.

Now maybe hockey fans are more rabid than Dave fans (since many people in line were smokin a lot of pot over those 5 days), but the system worked.

A similar event happened for Adam Sandler tickets, though the most people waited for him was about 36 hours. But still, it works.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2005 07:43AM by dsr11.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login