Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ECAC Preseason Coaches/Media Polls

Posted by pfibiger 
ECAC Preseason Coaches/Media Polls
Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 01:31PM

[www.ecachockeyleague.com]

Cornell #1 in both.

"The Cornell Big Red has been selected by both the coaches and media as the unanimous No. 1 team in this year's ECAC Hockey League men’s preseason polls. It marks the first time since the 1996-97 season that the head coaches have had a unanimous choice and the first-time ever in the seven-year history of the media poll. Both polls were released today (Sept. 20, 2005) as part of the league’s annual media day event."

Moulson and McKee were both unanimous selections for the first team All-ECAC preseason team.

Re: ECAC Preseason Coaches/Media Polls
Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 01:34PM

also of note, CSTV will be broadcasting Harvard at Cornell this year:

The ECAC Hockey League on CSTV
10/7 Quinnipiac at Michigan, 7:35 p.m.
12/16 Harvard at Dartmouth, 8 p.m.
1/30 Harvard at Dartmouth (Women), 8 p.m.
2/18 Harvard at Cornell, 5:30 p.m.
3/17 Men's Championship Semifinal No. 1, 4:30 p.m.
3/17 Men's Championship Semifinal No. 2, 8 p.m.
3/18 Men's Championship Final, 8 p.m.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 01:57PM

What do the coaches know about Colgate that the media doesn't? Or vice versa. Colgate, 2nd by media and 5th by coaches is basically the only disagreement betwen the polls. Not that there's much difference between 2nd and 5th in the coaches poll.

Now the truly shocking news: coaches and media both pick the Fighting Deerticks to finish last!

Posted by: Robb (---.northgrum.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 02:21PM

I thought I knew what "unanimous" meant, but apparently there's a meaning where an 11-1 vote is unanimous. Don't tell jury foremen... screwy

I was afraid that Schafer had done the unthinkable and voted Cornell as #1.

Date: September 20, 2005 02:31PM

[Q]I thought I knew what "unanimous" meant, but apparently there's a meaning where an 11-1 vote is unanimous. Don't tell jury foremen...

I was afraid that Schafer had done the unthinkable and voted Cornell as #1.[/q]
It is a strange usage, but when the rules prevent you from voting at all for your own team it's not an unreasonable usage. Cornell did get a #1 vote by every cioach that could vote for them.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 02:59PM

Interesting that the Harvard game at Lynah is being shown at 5:30pm. Must have shifted it to accommodate another game to be broadcast at 8pm. What could possibly be more important? B-]

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 03:19PM

I can see not being able to vote for your player(s) on awards but what's the point of not being able to vote for your team in a POLL?

Al...Clarkson vs SLU or Clarkson vs RPI is much more important. :-D

Date: September 20, 2005 05:03PM

I kind of agree with the way they do the poll. It's going to be hard for any coach to objectively assess his own team, so why bother trying? You get a perfectly good poll from asking coaches to rate the other guys 1-11.

Of course, it's juts a poll, and a pre-season one at that, so it doesn't mean a damn thing.

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 05:50PM

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:

also of note, CSTV will be broadcasting Harvard at Cornell this year:

The ECAC Hockey League on CSTV
10/7 Quinnipiac at Michigan, 7:35 p.m.
12/16 Harvard at Dartmouth, 8 p.m.
1/30 Harvard at Dartmouth (Women), 8 p.m.
2/18 Harvard at Cornell, 5:30 p.m.
3/17 Men's Championship Semifinal No. 1, 4:30 p.m.
3/17 Men's Championship Semifinal No. 2, 8 p.m.
3/18 Men's Championship Final, 8 p.m.[/q]That's a lot of Harvard on TV. Here's hoping that Cornell and Harvard are each on TV three times out of those games.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 05:59PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:
Of course, it's juts a poll, and a pre-season one at that, so it doesn't mean a damn thing.[/q]
Especially the "pre-season all-ECAC team." screwy

Posted by: French Rage (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 06:04PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Interesting that the Harvard game at Lynah is being shown at 5:30pm. Must have shifted it to accommodate another game to be broadcast at 8pm. What could possibly be more important?[/q]

So those of us on the West Coast have to get drunk at 2:30 on a Saturday?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 06:45PM

[Q]French Rage Wrote:

Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Interesting that the Harvard game at Lynah is being shown at 5:30pm. Must have shifted it to accommodate another game to be broadcast at 8pm. What could possibly be more important?[/Q]
So those of us on the West Coast have to get drunk at 2:30 on a Saturday?[/q]

Would it be any different than usual? :-P

We...
Posted by: MNetravali (216.170.107.---)
Date: September 20, 2005 09:52PM

... are such an obvious pick to win the league. The league games will be a cakewalk. I can't imagine anyone challenging us.

Unfortunately, the most important games of the year may well be the MSU games to open the season. We'll need those wins for Pairwise strength. We need that sweep.....

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 10:19PM

I completely disclaim all idiots who woof and declare they have absolutely no connection to the fine Cornell hockey program. Please please please.

Re: We...
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 10:19PM

[Q]MNetravali Wrote:

... are such an obvious pick to win the league. The league games will be a cakewalk. I can't imagine anyone challenging us.[/q]

:-( :-( :-( DO NOT TAUNT THE WOOFING GODS :-( :-( :-(

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: calgARI '07 (209.2.88.---)
Date: September 20, 2005 10:25PM

[Q]MNetravali Wrote:

... are such an obvious pick to win the league. The league games will be a cakewalk. I can't imagine anyone challenging us.

Unfortunately, the most important games of the year may well be the MSU games to open the season. We'll need those wins for Pairwise strength. We need that sweep..... [/q]

I'm not so sure about that. I think Cornell has a ton of question marks while Dartmouth has a really good team. St. Lawrence will also be tough.

Rebuttal
Date: September 20, 2005 10:31PM

I really don't think my post was woofing. I HONESTLY believe that we will easily win the league. I said it at the end of last season. I said it after Shane Hynes left. Our program has reached a point where winning the ECACHL is expected (like Harvard in the 1980's and Duke in ACC baskteball). Granted it's always nice to win, but we've been there and done that and mediocrity at Cornell is a thing of the past. Right now our focus should be on bigger things like the NCAA title. I'm not trying to be cocky, but I'm just that confident in our team right now.
As for the woofing gods- I'm not superstitious enough to believe in such a thing.

Date: September 20, 2005 10:33PM

are such an obvious pick to win the league. <-- not woofing, it's true, it's the obvious pick

The league games will be a cakewalk. I can't imagine anyone challenging us. <-- woofing

Sports fans = superstitious

Date: September 20, 2005 11:23PM

[homepages.cae.wisc.edu]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 01:09AM

On paper, UVM was even more of a favorite in '97. Result: 3rd place and a QF loss. Thou shalt not fuck with the Fates.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2005 08:42AM

Wow, John, someone else who has as much spare time as you! nut

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: September 21, 2005 10:52AM

Oh great. They've already started with the "hockey gods" stuff... screwy

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 03:57PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

MNetravali Wrote:

Unfortunately, the most important games of the year may well be the MSU games to open the season. We'll need those wins for Pairwise strength. We need that sweep..... [/Q]
I'm not so sure about that. I think Cornell has a ton of question marks while Dartmouth has a really good team. St. Lawrence will also be tough.[/q]

We all know how you feel about Shane Hynes, but outside of his loss (which could be = to losing Vesce, but Sawada could easily fill Hynes' role) what weaknesses do you feel they have? Goaltending is not an issue, do you think D is a questionable area? Why?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 05:07PM

The offense is always questionable.

Date: September 21, 2005 05:50PM

It's nice to know that all is right with the world in the men's preseason picks - Cornell a unanimous #1 and Quinnipiac #12. But over on the women's side things aren't so rosy - the Lady Deerticks (#9) outpolled the Red (#10) in both polls, with only Union finishing lower. Ack.
(http://www.uscho.com/news/2005/09/20_010715.php)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2005 05:51PM by KeithK.

Finally
Date: September 21, 2005 06:03PM

... someone who realizes that there are no woofing gods and that (despite what we would like to believe) we actually have no control over the outcomes of games and seasons by things we say to each other and post on the internet. Come on guys, let's be rational and drop this "hokey religion."

On a different note, how on earth did Yale score such a highly touted recruiting class?

Re: Finally
Date: September 21, 2005 06:13PM

Well, those of us who do "believe" in the woofing gods must do our best to ostracize you for your unbelief. Out vile sinner! Be gone and offend the Mighty Gods no more!!!

:-)

Date: September 21, 2005 09:25PM

[Q]MNetravali Wrote:
... someone who realizes that there are no woofing gods and that (despite what we would like to believe) we actually have no control over the outcomes of games and seasons by things we say to each other and post on the internet. Come on guys, let's be rational and drop this "hokey religion." [/q]

But seriously, why take that chance?
:-}

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 11:57PM

[Q]MNetravali Wrote:
Come on guys, let's be rational and drop this "hokey religion."
[/q]

Well, since I've moved to Blacksburg and live 1/4 mile from Lane Stadium, I ironically say "amen." And you spelled hokie wrong.

Date: September 22, 2005 08:52AM

[Q]MNetravali Wrote:

... someone who realizes that there are no woofing gods and that (despite what we would like to believe) we actually have no control over the outcomes of games and seasons by things we say to each other and post on the internet. Come on guys, let's be rational and drop this "hokey religion."
[/q]

Like most moral codes this one has its origin in self-interest. "You are inviting the wrath of the woofing gods" also means "If we don't live up to your expectations, you will look like an asshole in retrospect and the ridicule of others down on us."

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: September 22, 2005 11:17AM

And unlike most deities, the Woofing Gods are empirically demonstrable. And violently Old Testament. They also have a strong sense of irony.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2005 11:18AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: September 22, 2005 11:26AM

I've always thought of evocation of the woofing gods as an etiquette tool. It's the nicest possible way to say: "Shut the F up -- your overconfidence embarrasses me, and [coach or player on your favorite team] would whup you upside the head if he heard you doing it."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2005 11:26AM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Posted by: Steve Rockey (---.empsl.cornell.edu)
Date: September 23, 2005 11:32AM

Here is my take on the Preseason Coaches Poll

1. Cornell (11) 121
A no brainer. Returns great goaltending and defense and Moulson. We need to improve offensive output even though we were 3rd highest scoring team in ECAC league play. This is possible with a large senior class now diminished by the loss of Hynes. There is a deep roster with a talented crew of incoming freshman that should contribute. This could be a very good year.

2. Dartmouth (1) 94
Sounds reasonable. They return a lot and they can score goals--tops in league play 74 goals compared to Cornell's 70. They graduated Stempniak (top scorer), the goalie, a starting defenseman, and two checking line wings. Plus Jessiman who would have been a senior turned pro. Looks to me like another very talented recruiting class. If the promising freshman goalie (league all star in juniors) or a returning goalie comes through they could be very good. They do need to significantly improve defensively with 49 goals allowed last year compared to Cornell's 26 and their coach has not show the knack for defense like he has for offense. This team could be impressive if the defense and goaltending are adequate.

3. Harvard 93
Hard to say but may be overrated here. Lost a lot but returns much of the scoring although the graduation of Cavanagh may be hard to replace. Like Cornell they also need to score more goals. Still has a solid core of 4 excellent defenders but the #5 & #6 players will be a question mark--the returning players with almost no game experience and recruits do not look as good as what Cornell will have in the 5-8 slots. With the graduation of Grumet-Morris and the failure to recruit a new goalie, goaltending will be weaker relying on returning players with little game experience but who were good recruits when they came in. I think the talent level of the team has been declining for 3 recruiting cycles. The recruits they are getting are obviously much better that what Union is getting but not as good as they used to get or what Dartmouth is getting. I do not think they will be as good as last year.

4. St. Lawrence 89
Seems high to me. Last years team finished 7th in the league with a sub .500 record and was not a young team only 5 Fr. or So. getting significant ice time. In contrast to a very young Brown team I wonder about how much they will improve. Goaltending is a big question mark with a graduation loss of the goalie who played almost every minute. With no recruit and they will rely on two not very highly heralded sophomores with little game experience. Return most of the team and have several recruits that look like solid starters. Offense was respectable with 70 goals scored in league play. Need to improve significantly on defense where 3 starters and a NHL draft pick goalie are gone. They allowed 73 goals against in league play. They have 4 freshman defenders coming in -- a lot rides on them being better than the departed seniors. Then again with 73 goals allowed it could very well be team defense not the play of the defensemen.

5. Colgate 86
I guess I expect them in the top 5. Goaltending will be weaker due to graduation. They loose 3 starters from defense. Large senior class is gone but much of the scoring returns. They need to significantly increase their scoring only 55 goals in league play compared to Cornell's 70. Recruits look good to me and they are bringing in 5 frosh defenders. Could be ok if defense is good enough and returning goalie (they did not get a recruit) with little game experience is adequate. The loss of so many seniors and the goalie could easily put them lower.

6. Brown 80
I think this is too low -- they should be in the top 5. They were a very young team with 7 of the top 9 scorers Fr. or So. They need to significantly increase their goal scoring since they scored 54 goals one less than Colgate. They have very good goaltending with a very high save % but they allowed 60 goals in league play. They clearly need to improve their defensive play and their coach has a history of producing good defensive teams. They have a couple recruits that seem very promising. Unlike Harvard they have been increasing the talent level of the team for the last 3 recruiting cycles. They should be better than last year. Maybe a lot better.

7. Clarkson 64
Who knows. Lost 3 off the top 4 scorers but most of the defense returns. They need to significantly improve offensively and defensively (44 scored and 66 allowed in league play). This will be a young team with only 3 seniors. Starting goaltender thrown off the team and they do not have a goalie coming in--the returning goalies may be ok but will not carry the team. Clarkson has some serious talent on the roster but does not play well or consistently as a team. They have another very good recruiting class with 3 NHL draft picks to bring the total to 9 NHL draft picks on the roster. Hard to say if they will be better or worse based on last years bad play and the goaltending question. Perhaps the departure of the seniors and the goalie (they were left over from the old coach) might actually help the team chemistry.

8. Union 51
They were 8th last year and could finish the same. They did not loose much. They return good goaltending (top returner .912 save %). However, they allowed 72 goals in league play so the defensive play is lacking. Need a significant offensive improvement having scored only 43. Recruits do not look like they will score a lot right away so they need the returning players to increase their output. I think the new coach has been incrementally increasing the talent level of the team for a couple of cycles. Should be slightly improved but I am not sure this will translate into a higher finish.

9. Rensselaer 39
Seems optimistic to me. It think RPI has sort of lost their way and is not recruiting the level of talent they used to get. They return a lot and that could make them better although their leading scorer is being treated for testicular cancer and may or may not be able to play. They return one goalie who is not as good as Princeton's--.888 versus .908-- and the recruit they added does not excite me. They have fundamental problems on offense and defense and I do not see them on a path to improve.

10. Princeton 32
I would pick them higher. The new coach turned the team around and they played much better hockey last year. They have minimal graduation losses but have major defensive problems having allowed 81 goals in league play. OK goaltending returns and they add a recruit. Offensively they produced 59 goals that is sort of respectable. They are bringing in 10 players that will improve the skill level of the team and one player who scored 98 points in the AJHL last year that should have some offensive talents. They should be improved.

11. Yale 28
I would pick them higher. They were a very young team last year and have essentially zero graduation losses. I think they had a few very talented players on the roster last year. They have 2 NHL draft picks in their freshman class and 4 other freshmen who were Central Scouting Service rated. This is a hell of a freshman class--that would have been Harvard's freshman class in years past. Defense was appallingly bad with 89 allowed and goaltending (which all returns) weak. They bring a prep school CSS rated goalie who should become the starter and improve on the goaltending. How did Harvard miss this kid to replace Grumet-Morris? A year older and more good players should make them better. Maybe a lot better.

12. Quinnipiac 15
Hard to say. They loose 3 of their top 5 scorers but strangely enough 4 of their top 8 scorers were freshmen. Graduated a very good senior goalie but return a junior with .907 save % in 8 appearances. They are bringing in two freshmen goalies. Outside their league they played 5-7-1 and overall they were 21-13-3. It is hard to gauge their offensive or defensive potential because of the level of play in league games but the numbers look ok. They are bringing in 11 recruits even though they are only graduating 7 starters. At least 3 of the recruits have offensive stats that look pretty impressive to me and they are descent sized. It looks to me like they got better recruits than RPI and Union. They may be building up a good talent base. My guess is that they will be hungry and competitive and not finish last.

Date: September 23, 2005 11:45AM

[q]12. Quinnipiac 15
Hard to say. They loose 3 of their top 5 scorers but strangely enough 4 of their top 8 scorers were freshmen. Graduated a very good senior goalie but return a junior with .907 save % in 8 appearances. They are bringing in two freshmen goalies. Outside their league they played 5-7-1 and overall they were 21-13-3. It is hard to gauge their offensive or defensive potential because of the level of play in league games but the numbers look ok. They are bringing in 11 recruits even though they are only graduating 7 starters. At least 3 of the recruits have offensive stats that look pretty impressive to me and they are descent sized. It looks to me like they got better recruits than RPI and Union. They may be building up a good talent base. My guess is that they will be hungry and competitive and not finish last. [/q]I'm not surprised that Q is bringing in a large class or that a lot of their best scorers last year were freshman. The team will probably be able to get better talent now that they are playing in the ECAC rather than AH/MAAC. Makes sense for them to try to bring in a lot of guys who are hopefully of a higher skill level in orde to improve their team. As for last year's freshmen, I can't remember when the ECAC decision admitting Q was made, but I think it was early enough that it might have helped their recruiting for the class of '08. At the very least you know that their coach used the prospect of ECAC admittance in his appeals to recruits.

Quinnipiac is also increasing their number of scholarships from the AH limit to the NCAA limit. I don't know how quickly they are getting to higher level, but this could be more of a reason than the "ECAC appeal" cited above.

Posted by: Drew (199.43.48.---)
Date: September 23, 2005 01:39PM

[Q]Steve Rockey Wrote:

7. Clarkson 64
Who knows. Lost 3 off the top 4 scorers but most of the defense returns. They need to significantly improve offensively and defensively (44 scored and 66 allowed in league play). This will be a young team with only 3 seniors. Starting goaltender thrown off the team and they do not have a goalie coming in--the returning goalies may be ok but will not carry the team. Clarkson has some serious talent on the roster but does not play well or consistently as a team. They have another very good recruiting class with 3 NHL draft picks to bring the total to 9 NHL draft picks on the roster. Hard to say if they will be better or worse based on last years bad play and the goaltending question. Perhaps the departure of the seniors and the goalie (they were left over from the old coach) might actually help the team chemistry.

[/q]

Pretty good assessment, no argument from me. The talent is there and it is young.... I still think we are a year or two away.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 23, 2005 02:18PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
St. Lawrence will also be tough.[/q]Everyone has been saying that about St. Lawrence every year since they won those two titles back-to-back. Since then they've finished 9th, 9th, 10th, and 7th. In my book they've moved into "I'll believe it when I see it" territory. They're a long way removed from those two championship teams.

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: September 23, 2005 05:10PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote: And unlike most deities, the Woofing Gods are empirically demonstrable. And violently Old Testament. They also have a strong sense of irony.[/q]If this is true, can someone explain the success of the Gophers?

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: September 23, 2005 05:28PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote: And unlike most deities, the Woofing Gods are empirically demonstrable. And violently Old Testament. They also have a strong sense of irony.[/Q]
If this is true, can someone explain the success of the Gophers?[/q]
The Woofing Gods have a hard time understanding a strong Great Lakes accent, an adaptive trait that may account for Minnesota's many championships, the Red Wings recent Stanley Cups, and the sporadic success of the Green Bay Packers.

Posted by: French Rage (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 23, 2005 05:51PM

[Q]Hillel Hoffmann Wrote:

ugarte Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote: And unlike most deities, the Woofing Gods are empirically demonstrable. And violently Old Testament. They also have a strong sense of irony.[/Q]
If this is true, can someone explain the success of the Gophers?[/Q]
The Woofing Gods have a hard time understanding a strong Great Lakes accent, an adaptive trait that may account for Minnesota's many championships, the Red Wings recent Stanley Cups, and the sporadic success of the Green Bay Packers.
[/q]

Plus when you live in shitholes like that God has to give you something.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login