Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros - Sept 2005

Posted by mgl11 
Alumni in the Pros - Sept 2005
Posted by: mgl11 (198.16.0.---)
Date: September 08, 2005 02:36PM

In no particular order --

signings so far...

Murray - Cleveland (AHL) / San Jose (NHL)
Bâby - Chicago (AHL) / Atlanta (NHL)
Lenny - San Antonio (AHL) / Phoenix (NHL)
Downs - Johnstown (ECHL)
Wallace - Johnstown (ECHL)
Rutter - Odessa (CHL)
Hynes - Portland (AHL) / Anaheim (NHL)
Cook - Philly (AHL)
Knoepfli - Geneve-Servette (Sui)
Stienstra - Tilburg (Hld)
Burgoyne - Cardiff (EIHL)
JMP - Rochester (AHL) / Florida (NHL)
Niewy - Florida (NHL)
Iggulden - San Jose prospect camp
Vesce - Spingfield (AHL)
Underhill - Alaska (ECHL - not confirmed)
Hornby - Idaho (ECHL)

Alumni that I haven't seen any news on, but played pro hockey last season...
Palahicky
Bell
Paolini
Manderville
Ladouceur
Elliot

Re: Alumni in the Pros - Sept 2005
Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: September 09, 2005 12:15PM

Iggulden scored two goals for San Jose's rookies in a 7-4 loss to Anaheim's rookies:

"A well played first period between the Sharks and Mighty Ducks saw Mike Iggulden start the offensive charge for San Jose, as he put the first hard shot on goal of the night. Minutes later he fed Milan Michalek with a crisp pass that tipped off his stick and ricocheted off Anaheim goaltender Jean Phillippe Levassuer’s right shoulder."

"Then Lukas Kaspar of San Jose was sent to the box for interference at 17:56 to make it 4 on 3 for the Sharks. They would score to make it 6-4 on the power play on a power play goal by forward Mike Iggulden from Ryan Salvis and Marc-Edouard Vlasic at the 18:02 mark of the period. "

[www.mightyducks.com]

Hynes is on the second line for the baby Ducks, but apparently didn't get a point.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2005 12:27PM by Steve M.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: September 09, 2005 12:54PM

Manderville is on the Timrå roster (Elite Swedish league) for 2005-06: [eliteprospects.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 09, 2005 04:22PM

Jason Elliott remains with the same club he played for last year in Germany:

[www.steelers.de]

(Sadly, his player bio does not list him as a native of Chapman, Australia.)

Posted by: profudge (---.ct.us.ibm.com)
Date: September 13, 2005 04:34PM

From today's SJ newspaper:

[Q]Other camp questions:

• How will the Sharks replace Rathje, the defenseman who was second on the club in average ice-time at nearly 23 1/2 minutes?

There is no shortage of candidates after Wilson pencils in Scott Hannan, Kyle McLaren and Brad Stuart as his big three.

Tom Preissing, Christian Ehrhoff, Rob Davison and Jim Fahey all have NHL experience. And prospects Doug Murray, Josh Gorges, Matt Carkner and Garrett Stafford are expected to challenge for spots as well. [/Q]

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: September 13, 2005 08:29PM

Jean-Marc Pelletier signed on August 20th with Florida. He's behind Luongo and Jamie McLennan on the depth chart.

Maybe he doesn't count since he was just at Cornell for a cup of coffee......

Florida (JMP/Joe) Update
Posted by: bigggreddd77 (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 15, 2005 11:17AM

I must admit that I haven't been keeping up on my elynah reading during this offseason, but I just got back from watching the Florida Panthers practice session. The facility is great, (its in Coral Springs, FL where I am right now for my 10 year HS reunion) and you really get to see the players up close.

That being said, I was totally surprised (as I mentioned...I hadn't been doing my reading) when the first thing that I saw was the back of a goalie jersey with PELLETIER on it. In between drills I banged on the glass behind the goal and gestured to my Cornell hat that I was wearing. He took a look...and smiled and gave a nice nod of recognition. It definitely made him happy...and it made my day as well. (I had no clue he was on the squad...I was just hoping to catch a glimpse of Joe) Joe was on the practice squad opposing him, so it was kind of cool to see 2 Cornellians face to face...though there really weren't any direct shots to speak of...

Anyway...I wouldn't say that he was just here for a cup of coffee, because I definitely have great memories of him playing while I was at Cornell.

Just thought you'd all be interested in my little story...

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2005 11:20AM by bigggreddd77.

Posted by: profudge (---.ct.us.ibm.com)
Date: September 16, 2005 01:22PM

Hyphen sent to AHL by Coyotes:
[Q]The team reduced its training camp roster to 44 by returning five players to their respective junior teams and assigning goaltender Dov Grumet-Morris to their new AHL affiliate in San Antonio.[/Q]

Date: September 16, 2005 01:46PM

Lenny is doing well for himself in camp...from the Coyotes website...

"During the first three days of the Coyotes 2005 Training Camp, each team has played two games and only one goaltender has not allowed a single goal during those scrimmages.

Was it Brian Boucher who holds the NHL’s all-time shutout streak record with five consecutives shutouts and a 332:01 shutout sequence?

Was it Curtis Joseph who currently ranks ninth among all-time wins leaders (396) and third among active goaltenders?

Neither. The goaltender in question was none other than David LeNeveu. Perhaps it shouldn’t be that much of a surprise considering LeNeveu does hold the best single season goals-against average in NCAA history (1.20) and broke several team records at Cornell University previously held by six-time Stanley Cup winner Ken Dryden"

He will also start in Saturday's exhibition game....

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 16, 2005 03:05PM

That rocks. :-D It'd be great if he gets some real playing time.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Beau (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: September 16, 2005 03:36PM

I'm going to the exhibition tonight in Glendale. Anyone else from the Phoenix area going to be there?

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: September 16, 2005 05:29PM

[Q]mgl11 Wrote:

"... Perhaps it shouldn’t be that much of a surprise considering LeNeveu does hold the best single season goals-against average in NCAA history (1.20) ..."
[/q]

So the Coyotes PR person hasn't updated his or her research since 2003? rolleyes

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-194-52.myvzw.com)
Date: September 16, 2005 06:50PM

Sam Paolini signed with the Elmira Jackals of the UHL. The coach is projecting him as a first line player. It's a step down (from the AHL) for Sam....But, it's good news for those of us who fill in idle moments (between CU games) with Jackals' games. Good luck, Sam, it's going to be our pleasure to watch you play!!

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 16, 2005 07:36PM

Oh ew. It looks like Sam has to play in front of Boucher.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2005 09:26PM

[Q]redice Wrote:Sam Paolini signed with the Elmira Jackals of the UHL. The coach is projecting him as a first line player. It's a step down (from the AHL) for Sam....But, it's good news for those of us who fill in idle moments (between CU games) with Jackals' games. Good luck, Sam, it's going to be our pleasure to watch you play!![/q]Wow, two plus years later somebody has finally come up with a reason why I should regret leaving Elmira. :-D

Posted by: Chris '03 (69.37.78.---)
Date: September 18, 2005 11:35AM

[Q]mgl11 Wrote:

He will also start in Saturday's exhibition game....

[/q]

Lenny made 28 saves and gave up 7 goals playing all of last night's blowout loss in minnesota...

Posted by: JordanCS (---.kaiserslautern.army.mil)
Date: September 19, 2005 09:29AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

Jason Elliott remains with the same club he played for last year in Germany:
[/q]

I might have to go see him play! I live about an hour and a half from that team, but unfortunately, all of their home games are on Fridays, and away games are on Sundays....and I can't make it from work to the game in time on Friday. Suck. Anyway, I'll have to try and get to a game sometime....I'll wear my Cornell jersey and see if he notices me.

Jordan
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2005 09:28AM by JordanCS.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 19, 2005 09:47AM

He'll notice you if you start an "Elliott - Idiot" chant - "idiot" is German, conveniently, for "idiot," so who knows? It might even catch on. :-}

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: nshapiro (---.amer.csc.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 04:11PM

Anaheim assigned Hynes to Portland (AHL).

San Jose assigned Iggulden to Cleveland (AHL).

Has anybody seen anything about Chartrand?

Posted by: froogle (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 04:29PM

Article on San Jose's first preseason game. If you look at the bottom of the article under notes it reads: Doug Murray left three minutes into the game after taking a puck to the face.

[www.sjsharks.com]

Re: Alumni in the Pros - Sept 2005-photo of JMP on ESPN.COM
Posted by: Froogle (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 08:58PM

On ESPN.com's NHL photo wire, a picture of JMP making a save in the Panthers preseason win on September, 18th.

[sports.espn.go.com]

Joe Nieuwendyk's tenant
Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 09:55PM

From the "Daily Herald", which covers Chicago's western suburbs, including Geneva, home of the former Chicago Feeze, Evan Salmela's previous team.

Geneva man stays in home of NHL star
Dave Heun
Posted Sunday, September 18, 2005

Jerry Fleck was definitely interested in becoming the equipment manager for the Cornell University hockey team, but what he didn’t figure on was the nice house that would go with it.

A few months ago, I mentioned that Fleck, the former equipment manager and Zamboni driver for the Chicago Freeze, was thinking about seeking a similar position for a collegiate team.

He interviewed for and got the job at Cornell in Ithaca, N.Y., but his family was going to stay in Geneva while he is in New York from September through May.

In his search for a place to live, Fleck got a helping hand from NHL star Joe Nieuwendyk, a Cornell graduate and now a center for the Florida Panthers. Nieuwendyk told Fleck he could stay in his Ithaca home, which he usually locks up for the winter and the hockey season.

“I think he was comfortable that I was an older guy and mature enough to live in and take care of his house,” said Fleck, who officially started his job last Wednesday. “Plus, I was a non-smoker, and he liked that.”

Nieuwendyk has won three Stanley Cups with three different teams — Calgary, Dallas and New Jersey. If he wins another while playing for Florida, he would be the only player in NHL history to win four titles with four teams, Fleck said.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: September 23, 2005 09:56AM

Bâby sent down to Chicago. I think he made it throught the first round of cuts, though. [www.atlantathrashers.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: September 23, 2005 05:15PM

[Q]mgl11 Wrote:
Was it Brian Boucher ...

The goaltender in question was none other than David LeNeveu. [/q]I'd love to see Lenny take ice time from Boucher. I have decided to irrationally blame Boucher for JMP's failuer to take over in Philly.

Posted by: profudge (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 09:53AM

Any news on Doug and how he is doing?

Saw following from a San Jose media fan Q&A section for Sharks fans:
[Q]hi steve ... i doubt any of the right wingers you cited will make the team ... morris can't because he is still in school ... bernier and kaspar, unless they blow people away in camp, still haven't even played in the ahl ... the rookies to monitor during the exhibition season? ... educated speculation would be ryan clowe among the forwards and doug murray among the defensemen ...
Victor Chi 9/08/05 [Q]

============

Sept 23rd post on Sharks web site says Doug still battling for a position - not yet assisnged else where.

Posted by: The Rancor (65.5.157.---)
Date: September 25, 2005 01:25PM

lenny starts the season as goalie #3 on the phoenix roster.

Posted by: Pace (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 05:05PM

From the Geneve-Servette site [www.geneva-hockey.ch]

Knoepfli is playing under number 19. He's played in 6 matches and has 1 goal, 0 assists and 2 penalty minutes.

I live in Geneva and I'm definitelly going to go to a game in my Cornell All-Star jersey. I bet he'll be surprised...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2005 05:06PM by Pace.

Posted by: birged2009 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 05:31PM

I wouldnt be suprised if Leneveu got the next start for the Coyotes. Curtis Joesph allowed 19 goals on 83 shots so far in preseason season (73%).

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 26, 2005 10:09PM

[Q]Pace Wrote:
I live in Geneva and I'm definitelly going to go to a game in my Cornell All-Star jersey. I bet he'll be surprised...[/q]

They don't have any away games in Vladivostok, do they? :-D

Posted by: mgl11 (---.jersyc01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:20AM

Palahicky will return to the Mudbugs of the CHL.

Underhill just signed an AHL contract with Peoria...though it is unclear if he will start the season with them or if the AHL contract is purly designed to give Alaska more salary cap flexibility.

Jeremy Downs is in camp with the Springfield Falcons (along with Vesce).

Also, somebody out there has a beef with Iggy -- check the chatroom on sjsharks.com

[boards.sj-sharks.com]

Posted by: Pace (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:36AM

Haha. If they do, I've got a lovely little place nearby in Kamchatka.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 27, 2005 02:03AM

WOW...that is odd...Iggy would be the last person I'd suspect of juicing

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: September 27, 2005 03:17AM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:

WOW...that is odd...Iggy would be the last person I'd suspect of juicing[/q]

Come on, that was clearly the cause of his inability to skate 3 minutes w/o falling down his freshman year. :-D :-D

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 03:13PM

Coyotes Web site said that CuJo has been named the official starter. Lenny will back him up until Boucher is back. Expectation is that he will be sent down at that point. Maybe he'll get the chance to at least get in a couple of starts and do a good job.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: September 27, 2005 03:30PM

Based on his play and his experience, we will start with Curtis (Joseph) as our goaltender,” said Gretzky. “But David has played very well and earned the right to begin the season here.”

It must be an f'in awesome feeling to have Wayne Gretzky give you a vote of confidence.

That is all.

Posted by: froogle (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 06:40PM

San Jose moved even closer to their 23-man opening night roster on Tuesday when they assigned two players from the 2005-06 San Jose Sharks Training Camp to the Cleveland Barons, their top development affiliate in the American Hockey League.

Lukas Kaspar, the clubs 2004 first round pick, and (B)Doug Murray, a defenseman chosen in the 8th round in 1999 we the two assignees.

The Sharks now have 27 players remaining in camp.

[www.sjsharks.com]

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 09:40PM

Comments on the Sharks message board about Doug's injury.
[boards.sj-sharks.com]

Date: September 30, 2005 08:53AM

Latest moves --
Pelletier send to Rochester
Paolini, Downs, and Underhill all sent down by their respective AHL teams.

Iggulden is the only one left whose status for the beginning of the season is uncertain (he's still in Cleveland on a tryout basis).

Also -- Lenny will get his 2nd preseaon start tonight.

Regardless, as far as I can see here's how everyone stacks up:

Nieuwendyk - Florida (NHL)
Leneveu - Phoenix (NHL)
Pelletier - Rochester (AHL)
Murray - Cleveland (AHL)
Bâby - Chicago (AHL)
Hynes - Portland (AHL)
Cook - Philly (AHL)
Vesce - Spingfield (AHL)
Iggulden - Cleveland (AHL - Tryout)
Underhill - Alaska (ECHL - two way contract w/ Peoria of the AHL)
Downs - Johnstown (ECHL)
Wallace - Johnstown (ECHL)
Hornby - Idaho (ECHL)
Paolini - Elmira (UHL)
Rutter - Odessa (CHL)
Palahicky - Bossier-Shreveport (CHL)
Manderville - Timra IK (Sweden)
Knoepfli - Geneve-Servette (Switzerland)
Elliott - Bietigheim-Bissingen (Germany)
Burgoyne - Cardiff (England)
Stienstra - Tilburg (Holland)

Posted by: Pace (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 09:48AM

I've been wondering, why do certain players go to play in Europe? As I understand it, the level is not as high nor is the pay as good, right? Is it simply because they don't want to play in a crappy league or ride the bench in the U.S.?

Why play in Europe?
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 10:34AM

[Q]Pace Wrote:

I've been wondering, why do certain players go to play in Europe? As I understand it, the level is not as high nor is the pay as good, right? Is it simply because they don't want to play in a crappy league or ride the bench in the U.S.?[/q]

I've watched a lot more European hockey games than US minor league games, but my impression is that the level of play is something like the minors. I can think of several reasons why playing in Europe might be preferable to playing in the minors, despite the presumed lack of opportunity for advancement to the N:

-- The atmosphere at a pro hockey game in Europe is much more like that at a US college game (and even more like a European pro soccer game): most of the crowd is wearing jerseys, large standing sections, chants, songs, fan clubs with drums and sometimes trumpets. It's like that all season, and blows away any pro crowd I've seen in the US, with the possible exception of the NHL playoffs.

-- The player may want to live in Europe for personal reasons, such as a desire to expand one's horizons, or family connections. I remember reading that Ian Burt was planning all along to use hockey as a way to live in the UK. Others are dual citizens, and can more easily get a roster spot in their home country (Switzerland restricts the number of foreign players per team).

-- Many players know they'll never reach the NHL but want to keep playing competitive hockey; under those circumstances it may be preferable to play with a more consistent roster rather than having players constantly called up to the parent club.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: Why play in Europe?
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 10:53AM

[q]-- Many players know they'll never reach the NHL but want to keep playing competitive hockey; under those circumstances it may be preferable to play with a more consistent roster rather than having players constantly called up to the parent club. [/q]I suspect that Euro hockey might provide more job security than AHL/ECHL hockey as well. The affiliated minor league teams serve as talent feeders for their parent NHL clubs. If the club decides that you have no future at a higher level they might keep you around as roster filler, but then they might well release you in favor of the kid who just graduated college who might have a slim chance of advancement. Up or out.

Re: Why play in Europe?
Posted by: Beeeej (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 11:05AM

The scarves. It's all about the scarves.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2005 09:45AM

Lenny shines in 2-1 loss to Sharks

[www.phoenixcoyotes.com]

Posted by: pfibiger (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2005 11:33AM

[Q]Larry72 Wrote:

[/q]

Another game like that and he may have punched his permanant ticket to the NHL.

A big screw you to all the NCAA haters who say it's just the system! Clearly Schafer et. al. have an eye for goaltenders and can develop them.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (209.2.88.---)
Date: October 01, 2005 11:46AM

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:

Larry72 Wrote:

[/Q]
Another game like that and he may have punched his permanant ticket to the NHL.

A big screw you to all the NCAA haters who say it's just the system! Clearly Schafer et. al. have an eye for goaltenders and can develop them.[/q]

I don't know about that. Neither Joseph nor Boucher are going down to the minors any time soon.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 01, 2005 12:06PM

True, but if a player racks up a number of star quality games at the NHL level he will have identified himself as NHL level talent. Makes it much more likely that either his team will call him up or someone else will try to get him.

Then again, considering the small number of goalie jobs at the top level it'll take more than one or two games to earn one of them.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2005 12:27PM

Yeah, but the coyotes have already more or less tagged Lenny as "goaltender of the future," and I think the job is more or less his when he proves himself capable at that level. Boucher's out for a while with an injury, If Lenny puts together a string of good games while he's gone, I wouldn't be surprised to see Boucher traded, or conveniently out with some unspecified injury.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2005 04:23PM

Hynes scored a preseason goal against Providence last week. Portland opens their season on Saturday night.

Date: October 06, 2005 08:06PM

Stempniak playing for the Blues tonight.

Date: October 06, 2005 08:10PM

Higgins scored his first NHL goal for the Habs tonight.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 08:35PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Higgins scored his first NHL goal for the Habs tonight.[/q]

Nice play too. He has been flying all night.

Date: October 06, 2005 09:35PM

And Dominic Moore just scored his first NHL goal. Quite a night for the ECAC.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2005 12:31AM

Hey, guys, it's freakin' October.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login