Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Puzzling mention of Ithaca on ESPN.com's article Idiots Guide to the NHL Lockout

Posted by froogle 
Puzzling mention of Ithaca on ESPN.com's article Idiots Guide to the NHL Lockout
Posted by: froogle (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 31, 2005 11:48PM

If you look an espn.com and read the article Idiots Guide To The NHL Lockout go to the 2nd page and read the question What's the worst part of the deal? you will notice it says.

If I were running the NHL, I would have insisted on dumping our franchises in New Jersey, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Atlanta, Florida, Nashville, Columbus, San Jose, Anaheim, Sacramento, Fresno, Omaha, Ithaca and Anchorage -- that's more than one-third of the current league.

Notice it says Ithaca? i dont understand this. i was wondering if anybody understood what he was saying?
screwy

[sports.espn.go.com]

Re: Puzzling mention of Ithaca on ESPN.com's article Idiots Guide to the NHL Lockout
Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: August 01, 2005 12:59AM

If I had to guess, I would say he is making a point about how strange some of the places the NHL has ended up are. help

Re: Puzzling mention of Ithaca on ESPN.com's article Idiots Guide to the NHL Lockout
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 09:03AM

Considering that Omaha, Ithaca and Anchorage are on the list after Fresno, he does seem to be trying to be funny. But the article as a whole looks like another application for the "knows jack-shit about hockey" club. rolleyes

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 10:29AM

Maybe he means the one in Greece.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: August 01, 2005 10:46AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote: Maybe he means the one in Greece. [/q]

The Ithaka Suitor Slayers

Posted by: ajec1 (---.cpinternet.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 11:34AM

The fact that the article is on Page 2 of espn.com, that would indicate that the whole piece is a bit...although this article is not really funny at all. Of course, do you really expect a great hockey mind to come out of Boston?

Posted by: BCrespi (---.brwncald.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 01:01PM

The article was written by Bill Simmons aka "The Sports Guy." Even though I am a true New York sports fan his articles are usually incredibly entertaining and usually well written. As long as I can get past his many Red Sox/Pats articles I almost always enjoy his work. However, I haven't heard that much from him about hockey, so it is probably not his forte. He is a Holy Cross alum, so can you really blame him?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 01:45PM

[Q]Hillel Hoffmann Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote: Maybe he means the one in Greece. [/Q]
The Ithaka Suitor Slayers[/q]

"The Suitor Slayers travel to Argos for a big game tonight. Argos is short-handed, as Agamemnon, Aegisthus, Clytemnestra, Cassandra, and Iphigenia are all scratches."

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: August 01, 2005 03:36PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Hillel Hoffmann Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote: Maybe he means the one in Greece. [/Q]
The Ithaka Suitor Slayers[/Q]
"The Suitor Slayers travel to Argos for a big game tonight. Argos is short-handed, as Agamemnon, Aegisthus, Clytemnestra, Cassandra, and Iphigenia are all scratches."[/q]

This marks the end of the Suitor Slayers' grueling late-season road trip. Despite a rash of season-ending injuries, their veteran captain remains optimistic. "This team knows how important it is to go into the playoffs with momentum," said Laertesson.

Slayers' fans: Join us after the second intermission at the home finale. Any male fan over 16 years of age who can shoot an arrow through twelve axes will win a night on the town with Slayers' first lady and mascot, "Penny."

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 05:19PM

Did Odysseus get a 5 minute major and a game misconduct for high-sticking the cyclops? Our just a double minor?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: August 01, 2005 05:44PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

Did Odysseus get a 5 minute major and a game misconduct for high-sticking the cyclops? Our just a double minor?[/q]

Wasn't that technically spearing?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 05:52PM

Hey! Losing an eye to a high stick is no laughing matter! It's not cool to call someone a cyclops because of that! [/irrational indignation]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: August 01, 2005 05:54PM

"Wow, I'm really surprised Nobody got called for spearing on that play!"

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2005 09:23AM

Simmons doesn't know jack shit about anything other than the Red Sox, Yankees, Patriots or Celtics. Especially not hockey.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (209.191.246.---)
Date: August 02, 2005 10:45AM

I kinda concur with Josh, although Simmons's command of Will Ferrell's oeuvre is quite strong. I think he's funny as a writer, but he's also really condescending toward women, which gets old. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and credit that to a part of his writing persona that he has perhaps overdeveloped, but he still comes off as one of those sportswriters who thinks that just because he managed to get married he knows everything about women and can roll his eyes at the woman in the press box who couldn't possibly know anything about sports.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login