Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NHL Draft / Sasha # 14 overall

Posted by jkahn 
NHL Draft / Sasha # 14 overall
Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2005 01:07PM

College-bound players taken early are #3 overall Jack Johnson (Michigan) by Carolina, #7 overall Jack Skille (Wisconsin) by Chicago and #9 overall Brian Lee (No. Dak.) by Ottawa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2005 01:29PM by jkahn.

Sasha
Date: July 30, 2005 01:25PM

Sasha goes #14 to Caps.

Re: Sasha
Posted by: Mike Hedrick 01 (---.arlngt01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2005 01:25PM

Wow! Congrats to Sasha. I was hoping the Rangers would get him in the second round.

Re: NHL Draft / Sasha # 14 overall
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hortonpv.ul.warwick.net)
Date: July 30, 2005 01:32PM

Congratulations to Sasha! The only downside is that such a high draft position makes it more likely that a player will leave early ... but I guess it's a problem I hope we will have to deal with frequently.

Posted by: brian kramer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 30, 2005 01:44PM

Is Sasha the highest drafted Cornellian in the history of the modern NHL draft?

-brian

Posted by: Avash (---.whtmrs01.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2005 01:49PM

tied for the highest pick ever for a Cornell player (Ken Dryden also went 14th)

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: July 30, 2005 01:51PM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:

tied for the highest pick ever for a Cornell player (Ken Dryden also went 14th)[/q]

Wasn't that a 3rd round pick? That's what Greg's site has at least.

Date: July 30, 2005 01:58PM

[Q]Pete Godenschwager Wrote:

Avash '05 Wrote:

tied for the highest pick ever for a Cornell player (Ken Dryden also went 14th)[/Q]

[/q]

Right; less picks per round back then obviously. While they're tied for the highest pick as far as pick number (14), Pokulok is the first first-round pick in Cornell history.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: July 30, 2005 02:00PM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:

Pete Godenschwager Wrote:

Avash '05 Wrote:

tied for the highest pick ever for a Cornell player (Ken Dryden also went 14th)[/Q]

[/Q]
Right; less picks per round back then obviously. While they're tied for the highest pick as far as pick number (14), Pokulok is the first first-round pick in Cornell history.[/q]

Ok, right, I was reading that as the 14th pick in the 3rd round for some reason.

Date: July 30, 2005 02:03PM

[Q]Pete Godenschwager Wrote:

Avash '05 Wrote:

[/q]

There were only 6 teams in the league when Ken was drafted, so #14 would be in the third round. However, back then, Junior A teams were affiliated with NHL teams, and if you signed with an affiliate, the parent had your rights. The first truly open draft was in 1969. So Ken would have been a later draft pick if Junior A players weren't already tied up.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: July 30, 2005 02:59PM

Alright, go Caps!!!

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: July 30, 2005 03:08PM

People are saying on USCHO that Philly might have tried to trade up to get Sasha??

Posted by: Amato (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 30, 2005 04:55PM

You know, I always thought Sasha's play reminded me of Shaone Morrisson; now they'll be on the same team together. Odd.

Date: July 30, 2005 05:41PM

Caps website article on draft:
[washingtoncaps.com]

Date: July 30, 2005 06:16PM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

Caps website article on draft:[/q]

The 6’5”, 220-pound native of Montreal is the first Cornell player ever selected in the first round of the NHL Entry Draft. As the 14th overall selection, he is also the highest overall Big Red player ever taken in the NHL Entry Draft. Hall-of-Fame goaltender Ken Dryden was selected 14th overall by Boston in 1964 before entering Cornell. However, Dryden’s selection came in the draft’s third round and was prior to the NHL’s modern draft era, which began in 1969.

Almost sounds like the author of that article read this thread nut
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2005 06:17PM by Avash '05.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 30, 2005 06:37PM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:

Almost sounds like the author of that article read this thread

[/q]

Exactly what I thought when I read it
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2005 06:37PM by Jacob '06.

Date: July 30, 2005 06:48PM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:

Avash '05 Wrote:

Almost sounds like the author of that article read this thread

[/Q]
Exactly what I thought when I read it

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 07/30/05 06:37PM by Jacob '06.[/q]
Actually, it wouldn't be that impossible that there is a Cornell grad or student summer intern working in the Caps office who is familiar with this site.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: July 30, 2005 07:12PM

From USCHO's write-up:

[Q]The pick of Pokulok was the first major surprise of the draft, but Capitals general manager George McPhee — the Hobey Baker Memorial Award winner in 1982 with Bowling Green — was confident that he got the player he wanted.

"We see someone that has the opportunity to be a top-four defenseman," said McPhee to Canadian television network TSN. "He's a big kid, he thinks the game real well and he reminds me of [longtime Rangers blueliner] Ron Greshner.

"We know there's some risk in it, and we considered moving back, but we said, 'Let's get what we want and be aggressive on our other picks.'"[/Q]

Date: July 30, 2005 07:17PM

Other ECAC draft impact news: Clarkson alumnus Todd White gets traded to Minnesota for a 4th round pick:
[www.tsn.ca]

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 30, 2005 08:07PM

is it unusual that connors didnt get drafted?
he was ranked high enough according to the thought of predraft rankings but wasnt drafted right?

Posted by: 2tkCornell (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 30, 2005 08:43PM

Connors wasn't drafted because of his subpar season after being hyped to be a really good college recruit. Part of that was injuries, and he was slow to recover and pick his game back up.

That said, I think Connors will be great for Cornell. Schafer will be able to mold him into a consistent player.

I have had the chance last year to watch incoming recruit Mike Kennedy play, and although he dropped from NHL Central Scouting Bureau's Final Rankings, I believe that he will be a solid player for Cornell.

Schafer compared him to Mike Iggulden, a great two way player. I don't think he has the speed of Iggulden and he is a little more aggressive. I compare him more to a Knoepfli type of player, capable of playing in the offensive and defensive zones.

Posted by: Amato (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 30, 2005 09:40PM

Wait, wait, Sasha was the first surprise of the draft?!?

What the fuck do you call Montreal taking ANOTHER goalie?!?

Posted by: redGrinch (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 30, 2005 09:42PM

Below also from the Caps web site. As a caps fan, I'm still trying to decide if I like the pick at that spot (i.e. did they get the best value for that spot in the draft). I wanted Sasha to goto Washington, but figured it'd be in the 2nd round, and was a little worried that Washington's picks were a bit too low in the 2nd to get him. But McPhee really wanted him, and didn't want to take any chances. That makes 4 1st round D-men taken in the last 2 years (and 5 over the last 3 drafts, 6 if you count the acquisition of Morrison). I think Washington will be content to let Schafer work his magic for a couple more years before putting some pressure to get him to Hershey or MCI.

14-Defenseman Sasha Pokuluk – 6-foot-5, 220 pounds – shoots left – born 5/25/86, Vaudreuil, QUE.

Central Scouting Bureau (ranked 39th among North American skaters) – Skates well for a big player … a good backward skater with mobility and quickness … moves the puck quickly and passes it with authority … makes safe and sane decisions with the puck … is consistent in his decisions as to whether to pass or carry the puck … depending upon the situation at hand, he will carry it up ice … a good playmaking defenseman on the power play; played on the first power play unit … logs a lot of ice time in all game situations … played with poise and confidence despite being a first-year college player … smart player who anticipates the play very well … possesses a good low and hard shot from the point … competes well for the puck and is aggressive in the corners and in front of the net … quick to lock up an opponent in front and does not hesitate to jab and work opponent over with stick … zone coverage is good, but he has a tendency not to attack the puck carrier, waiting instead for the play to come to him. Is very adept at picking up trailing forwards coming down the middle … has taken on a lot of responsibility as a freshman … his season was interrupted by a broken collarbone in early February.

Hockey News (ranked 31st)– A towering defenseman with good mobility, Pokuluk missed four weeks with a broken collarbone and wasn’t at his best in the playoffs. He brings a physical game to the rink and competes well. He trained for a year at the Notre Dame hockey factory in Wilcox, Sask.

Red Line Report (ranked 41st) – Huge and extremely mobile. Has an exceptionally long stick/reach and likes to handle the puck. Makes crisp, accurate passes, always leads breaking forwards right on the tape. Loves to lead the break and join the rush. Can make moves like a 5-10 forward and sees the ice very well. Terrifically aggressive pointman on the PP who cuts off the slot and causes all sorts of problems. Perpetually in motion, never stands still – but wanders and roams all over the place. Gets himself out of position and has no concept of defensive awareness or discipline. Exceptional footwork, turns, and agility for a huge man, but is not at all physical. Does not like to hit or be hit. With his outstanding size and skills, has as much upside as any d-man in this draft, but is very raw and far from polished. Last two months of season were wiped out by knee/ankle injury.

International Scouting Services (ranked 63rd) – The number one attraction for this player is his combination of outstanding size and skill. He is blessed with a genetic gift and a relatively high level of skating and puck skill for a player this big. His decisions with the puck are constructive. The knock on him is that he prefers to use steering and contain checking tactics as opposed to body checks – he will need to improve this area of his game and learn to use his size to his advantage particularly in loose puck battles. He missed nearly the entire month of February and the conference quarterfinals due to injury. Selected to the ECACHL All-Rookie Team.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2005 10:30PM

[Q]redGrinch Wrote:

Below also from the Caps web site.

Red Line Report (ranked 41st) – Huge and extremely mobile. Has an exceptionally long stick/reach and likes to handle the puck. Makes crisp, accurate passes, always leads breaking forwards right on the tape. Loves to lead the break and join the rush. Can make moves like a 5-10 forward and sees the ice very well. Terrifically aggressive pointman on the PP who cuts off the slot and causes all sorts of problems. Perpetually in motion, never stands still – but wanders and roams all over the place. Gets himself out of position and has no concept of defensive awareness or discipline. Exceptional footwork, turns, and agility for a huge man, but is not at all physical. Does not like to hit or be hit. With his outstanding size and skills, has as much upside as any d-man in this draft, but is very raw and far from polished. Last two months of season were wiped out by knee/ankle injury.
[/q]
What is this bit about knee/ankle injury? How does he survive under Schafer if he "has no concept of defensive awareness or discipline?"

Isn't Greening Coming In Next year?
Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 31, 2005 12:55AM

7th Round:
10 (204) Ottawa Colin Greening C/LW Upper Canada Coll.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 31, 2005 09:21AM

Both the Washington Post and Washington Times report that the Caps may be trying to get Pokoluk signed immediately

Date: July 31, 2005 09:43AM

From The Washington Times. This would be a huge blow to Cornell's defense corps if the Capitals convinced Pokulok to turn pro. There are many scouts that seem to feel Pokulok is NHL ready in two years. I don't think he has fully proven himself at Cornell and hopefully he sticks around for at least another year, so Schafer can possibly recruit another diamond in the rough d-man.

[www.washingtontimes.com]

Posted by: The K-Gun (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: July 31, 2005 11:47AM

Yikes, courtesy of the Washington Post:

Good skater given his size, but a surprise at 14th. The rising sophomore at Cornell was considered among the best passing defensemen available. May be signed to a professional contract immediately.

Posted by: redGrinch (---.gao.gov)
Date: July 31, 2005 12:15PM

It would surprise me, unless Pokuluk wants out of Ithaca. Granted we had the lockout last season, but Washington signed neither Green or Schultz, their 2 1st round D-men, and they continued to play in juniors. Recently, they haven't been pulling players early to put them in the AHL; if they think he's ready for the big club, then they'll try to get him. 2 years ago, they signed Eminger immediately, then he played a handful of games with Washington before befing sent back to juniors. Because of the timing of the draft and lockout, Sasha also missed the developmental camp in mid-July which is when rookies sometimes wow the staff and they can see how ready (or not) he is for the jump. I'm more curious to see what they do with Borque who was their 2nd round draft pick last year..... if they'll sign him and put him in Hershey or have him go back to the QMJHL.

Posted by: adamw (---.benslm01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2005 01:18PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:
What is this bit about knee/ankle injury? How does he survive under Schafer if he "has no concept of defensive awareness or discipline?"[/q]

See the source. "Red Line Report" ... That's the guy who ripped Shane Hynes because he said the amount of time he carries the puck per game is barely in double digits. As if Keith Tkachuk carries it more than that. He has a history of trashing college hockey and making generally uninformed opinions.

Date: August 01, 2005 12:38AM

I'm guessing the reason why the Caps want to sign Pokulok is that they only have 2 players under contract so far: Olaf Kolzig and Alexander Semin.

In that sense, Washington is starting their team from scratch and would want a player to jump into the lineup in a couple of years.

It will put a huge strain on Cornell's defense if he actually signs. We would only have one offensive defenseman in Doug Krantz compared to three last year in Pokulok, Krantz and Cook.

It would be interesting to see what the powerplay defensive lineups would look like. I'm guessing Krantz and O'Byrne would definitely get the majority of PP minutes.

Date: August 01, 2005 08:50AM

Here is an article on the 2 D-men that McPhee and the Caps selected in the first round (Pokulok and incoming UND recruit, Jeff Finley).

[washingtoncaps.com]

Some good stuff on Pokulok. Washington seems to be extremely high on him.

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 10:35AM

More on Pokie!

[www.ecachockeyleague.com]

Date: August 01, 2005 10:37AM

Hey, hey, hey! The missed one from the ECAC on this table!!!!!!!!!!!:-(

[www.ecachockeyleague.com]

Date: August 01, 2005 10:43AM

Sounds like Sasha is leaning towards another year:

[www.ithacajournal.com]

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 11:46AM

Wouldn't it make sense that a GM who played college hockey and likes drafting college players would understand that college is a reasonable development path and therefore be willing to let players stay in school for a while? If there's an expectation that Pokoluk would make the NHL squad this year then it makes sense to go ahead and sign him. But if not let him stay in school where it doesn't cost the team any money.

Just my uninformed thoughts.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: August 01, 2005 12:05PM

[Q]Brian Wrote:

Hey, hey, hey! The missed one from the ECAC on this table!!!!!!!!!!!

[/q]

Maybe since Greening is a 2006 recruit, he isn't official yet.

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 01:14PM

Stay at least one more year Sasha. We want a National Championship and this is the year!

Posted by: Brian Deerr '04 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 01:21PM

I would think the Caps would want Pokulok to spend at least another year with us for a couple of reasons. First, he's still young enough that he hasn't filled out his frame to be as much of an asset as he should be in the future, so there's no reason to rush him to that level. Second, I'm sure the Caps have respect for a team with the reputation for defense that Schafer puts together year after year, which would lead me to believe that they wouldn't mind if he had a little more time training under a coach like Schafer.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: August 01, 2005 01:22PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

Wouldn't it make sense that a GM who played college hockey and likes drafting college players would understand that college is a reasonable development path and therefore be willing to let players stay in school for a while? If there's an expectation that Pokoluk would make the NHL squad this year then it makes sense to go ahead and sign him. But if not let him stay in school where it doesn't cost the team any money.

Just my uninformed thoughts.[/q]

A few George McPhee quotes:

“We’re trying to build the defense,” says McPhee. “If your defense is good you are in every game. And if you can keep the puck out of your net you will win more than you lose. It is a very difficult position to trade for and to fill. We’ve often said that a good defenseman is worth two good forwards.”

Except for the trading part, this could be Mike talking.

On Sasha:

“He thinks the game well, he's very poised with the puck, and now he just needs more experience playing at a higher level at a better pace,” McPhee said. “We just think he can be a big man who moves the puck well and distributes the puck well to the forwards. He's going to have to learn to train like a pro and those things, but most young guys do.”

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 01:37PM

Damn, this is one of those "very happy, very disappointed" things. Oh well -- whichever way he goes, STAY!, I wish him luck, STAY!

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 01:39PM

From the IJ article:
[q]“We discussed it (Saturday) and (Sunday) and the next step is to discuss it with Sasha and see what his thoughts are,” McPhee said. “If he's willing to turn pro now, we would certainly consider it.”[/q]If the Caps would only "consider it" than it doesn't sound like they would push him to leave. The quotes from the article make it sound like Pokoluk would want to stay at Cornell next year, so I'm not really worried at the moment.

That said, the quotes make it seem like leaving after his sophomore season is a real possibility.

Posted by: redGrinch (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 12:34AM

It still looks weird to me; Lynah Rink and a Cornell sweater on the Caps web page (http://www.washingtoncaps.com/)

wow, Finley is big.....

Let's compare if we will who is projected to be on the Caps blue line in a few years:
Sasha 6'5" 220
Joe Finley 6'7" 229
Jeff Schultz 6'6" 220 (1st rounder from last year)
Nolan Yonkman 6'6" 236 (99 draft pick and rotton injury luck)

It makes Witt at 6'2 look tiny.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 02:20AM

I think this is where the smart money is. Before the lockout, the Caps jettisoned most of their big money players and have committed to rebuilding around a talented young core that they hope will gell in a few years. Their coach Glen Hanlon was brought up from their AHL Portland ME affiliate, where he did an outstanding job developing young talent. Sasha would fit into this rebuilding program nicely. Hanlon and McPhee are smart enough to know whether Sasha's ready and will sign him when they feel the time is right. With Cornell's defensive emphasis, they might be content to leave him in Ithaca for awhile, knowing he's getting outstanding training but will try to move him along when they feel he's ready for a higher level of competition.

Posted by: The Rancor (65.5.157.---)
Date: August 08, 2005 03:27PM

he will stay one more year at the most. just a guess.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: August 09, 2005 10:32AM

More on the Caps rebuilding process from owner Ted Leonsis:

[washingtoncaps.com]

Scroll down to Sasha's photo for relevant text. It's hard to know what to make of this. Sounds like they have a lot of talented young defensemen - seven first-rounders - in the system, so there may be no immediate need to move Sasha up in a hurry. OTOH, they sound as if they're eager to let their prospects duke it out to find the leaders around whom they want to build the team, and Sasha is obviously in this mix.

Another wrinkle: According to the Wash Post today, Brendan Witt has asked to be traded to a contender, which would shrink their pool of top defensemen. Understandable, since he's an older player and wants to win now, but would be nice to have him around to mentor the younger guys.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2005 10:38AM by ninian '72.

Posted by: JDeafv (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 11:35AM

Who knows what is going to happen, however on the Caps report Friday, they said Sasha is flattered the Caps think he might be ready now, but he's going to play at Cornell this year.

There is a "PodCast" of the Capitals Report available from WashingtonCaps.com (menu bar on the right of the screen).

Posted by: JDeafv (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2005 12:00AM

So I actually downloaded the Capitals Report "PodCast" and found the mention of Sasha (for those interested, start listening at 26:30).

The announcer says he talked with Sasha on the phone last week. He is already at Cornell and intends to play at Cornell this year. They mentioned the interview with Sasha will be posted on the internet soon.

In another college related note, the Caps signed Chris Bourque to a 3-year deal. Bourque previously announced he was leaving BU to play in the QMJHL. I think he actually played a few games with the Caps previous farm team - Portland - last year.

Date: August 21, 2005 12:10PM

Someone likes to play url-squatter on draft picks:

[cgi.ebay.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 21, 2005 12:55PM

On the other hand, considering sidneycrosbyhockey.com has an asking price of $250, I guess the asking price for Sasha's name seems downright reasonable. screwy

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 09:56PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

Someone likes to play url-squatter on draft picks:

[/q]SASHAGRENIERPOKULUK.COM is still available.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login