Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Hunter's first trial

Posted by marty 
Hunter's first trial
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 18, 2005 06:19PM

And an exciting issue it is. Time to park it!?!

Maybe they wouldn't be so upset if the stump were still dead and rotting.

"We're not out to hurt the students," Officer O'Hara said. "But when the time comes, we'll do what is necessary to remove them."

[www.nytimes.com]

Read while its hot!drive

Re: Hunter's first trial
Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: July 18, 2005 06:21PM

According to the Redbud Woods website, they have reached a deal to "end the occupation." It doesn't appear that the deal involves saving the Redbuds at all.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 18, 2005 08:05PM

Holding a candlelight vigil over a piece of overgrown lawn seems a little ridiculous.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: July 18, 2005 09:07PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

Holding a candlelight vigil over a piece of overgrown lawn seems a little ridiculous. [/q]

Yeah, of all the wilderness to go to the mat over. You'd think they could have chosen something a little more wild.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: July 18, 2005 10:12PM

Get a load of this statement which was alluded to by tub(a):

[Q]An agreement has been reached between the Working Group and the Cornell Administration to end the occupation of the woods in exchange for a number of steps to further sustainability and democracy at Cornell. We remain opposed to this parking lot, and are still determined to challenge and transform the power structures of our University. To all our supporters, thanks and stay involved![/Q]

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2005 11:11PM

If you want to read it yourself, here's the link.
[redbudwoods.org]

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: July 19, 2005 12:05AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

KeithK Wrote:

Holding a candlelight vigil over a piece of overgrown lawn seems a little ridiculous. [/Q]
Yeah, of all the wilderness to go to the mat over. You'd think they could have chosen something a little more wild.[/q]

Yeah, but of all the rediculous things to propose building there you think that they could have chosen something a little more wild. C'mon, who the hell really needs another parking lot. There is that historical promise stuff too.

The developer only needs to win one battle. The conservationist must fight a thousand. I say rock

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 12:12AM

I never had a car while I was at Cornell, but I think it's very safe to say that the school clearly needs more parking. Where to put it is a different question.

Date: July 19, 2005 01:39AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

..... I think it's very safe to say that the school clearly needs more parking....[/Q]

Well, I think it is safe to say that fewer people need to be driving. So go figure.idea

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: July 19, 2005 12:23PM

Not that Cornell has been oblivious to this problem, Roy. From Hunter's statement regarding the agreement:

"Cornell is, on an overall basis, short of the parking needed to meet demand from its faculty, staff, students, surrounding community and visitors. In the past 11 years, the university has not created any net additional parking space. The number of requests for permits has risen by about 1,000 during this period. In order to address additional demand, Cornell has implemented a program of free transit and other incentives such as rideshare for faculty and staff members. This program has now reached 35 percent penetration among the faculty and staff members who drive alone to campus for work. These individuals now use free transit, rideshare or other alternatives. Among universities, that level of participation is quite high and demonstrates the seriousness and success of Cornell's program."

For the full statement, go to:

[www.news.cornell.edu]

Date: July 19, 2005 12:55PM

As a native New Yorker and someone who hates the fact that I (more or less) have to drive everywhere now, I don't necessarily disagree with you in the abstract. But it isn't very reasonable to expect the majority of Cornell staff to take public transportation in Ithaca (Tompkins County has very good trasportation considering it's size, but we're not talking NYC here). And unless you take Greg's suggestion from another thread and forbid students from having cars on campus a large number are going to want to have cars and therefore need parking.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.nas112.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 08:39PM

[Q]Roy 82 Wrote:
Well, I think it is safe to say that fewer people need to be driving. So go figure.
[/q]
Well, golly, with logic like this, you've convinced me. 'scuse me while I yark

Seriously:

(1) Ithaca is not NYC. There aren't subways getting you from point A to point B in 10 minutes flat, including the initial wait. TCAT is wonderful considering how small a market the Ithaca/Lansing/Dryden area is, but a car is simply much more convenient. Note the same generally *isn't* true for NYC.

(2) Ever try taking 12 bags of groceries on a bus?

(3) Stop telling other people what's better for them. Let people make their own choices.

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 11:54PM

Without really getting into how maybe people should stop being selfish ("I HAVE A RIGHT TO DRIVE MY CAR!!!!!!!";) and consider the greater good (less cars = less pollution, and every little bit helps, even in Ithaca), would it really be so bad, for instance, to not allow freshmen to have cars on campus? Inconvenience builds character, and a lot of Cornell students could use a healthy dose of character. (And yes, I have taken a large amount of groceries on the bus, in the winter, when my car was in the shop, during my junior year, when I lived off campus.)

The opinion I have on this issue is less about Redbud Woods and more about the general laziness of Americans that our culture seems to actively encourage. That said, does anyone know if they're tearing down any buildings for the lot? I heard that the building in which I lived my senior year was going to be torn down, and then it wasn't, and now I don't know. I hope not; I had a blast in that place.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2005 12:04AM

Circa 1958, Clark Kerr (president of the University of California), quipped, “I find that the three major administrative problems on a campus are sex for the students, athletics for the alumni, and parking for the faculty."

Not every empty lot with trees is a priceless ecological resource. Isn't "Redbud Woods" a description the pro-status quo, anti-parking lot side chose ... and the university never offered a compelling alternative descriptor that could have used the words "trash-strewn" or "malarial"?

Sometimes progress does screw up the enviroment. We hiked up Buttermilk Falls the Fourth of July weekend and damned if the tree huggers weren't right -- when you turn around and look down the trail, the orange Home Depot roof structure off yonder on the other side of Route 13 really is a jarring eyesore and it's definitely visible. You'd think Home Depot could've worked out some compromise like siding and a roof that was orange when you looked up at it from the ground and green when you looked down from above. If you can paint the side of a truck to show either Elvis or Jesus depending on which way you're looking, maybe Home Depot could've done something similar. And isn't Home Depot proud of being the employer of more Olympians than any other company? You'd think their commitment to the recreational hiker / athlete would be a nice parallel effort.

Date: July 20, 2005 02:58AM

Cool, an off-season quasi-flame fest. You folks must be as bored as I am (actually, I am procrastinating). Or perhaps the topic is driving you crazy:)

[Q]krose Wrote:

Roy 82 Wrote:
Well, I think it is safe to say that fewer people need to be driving. So go figure.
[/Q]
Well, golly, with logic like this, you've convinced me. 'scuse me while I [/q]

OK, clearly my witty retort was too much to handle. I will slow it down and spell it out. So why is suggesting that having fewer cars any less valid a solution to the problem of parking than adding parking spots? I'm just trying to break the conventional paradigm by pointing out that "must drive" is not a given fact. As ninian'72 already pointed out , Cornell is already pursuing many of approaches to make non-car transportation more convenient.

[Q]
(1) Ithaca is not NYC. There aren't subways getting you from point A to point B in 10 minutes flat, including the initial wait. TCAT is wonderful considering how small a market the Ithaca/Lansing/Dryden area is, but a car is simply much more convenient. Note the same generally *isn't* true for NYC.[/Q]

Yes, and I suspect that the vast majority of folks in Ithaca have no problem using their cars for most of their trips. Plenty of parking and light traffic. For those who need to drive to campus, I am not sure how providing parking for people who live on or near campus will really help.

I lived well off campus for a couple of years and owned a car. I happened to find it more enjoyable and convenient to walk or ride to campus most of the time. Bully for me. Lack of parking on and near campus was part of the equation.

[Q]
(2) Ever try taking 12 bags of groceries on a bus?[/Q]
Ever try hauling a ton of gravel in a hatchback? We should all drive dump trucks. screwy
Obviously, there are times when a car is more desirable. But for many people, going a short distance to campus or to a nearby grocery store isn't one of them.

[Q]
(3) Stop telling other people what's better for them. Let people make their own choices.[/Q]

Aside from the delightful irony and hypocrisy of your statement, I just want to point out that I have not advocated banning cars and therefore have in no way prevented people from making their choices. The convenience of driving vs. not driving is part of making such a choice.

I would even go one step further and argue that it is the car-dependent people who are taking away my choice. I happen to prefer a more bucolic, walkable, integrated community over one with more parking, more traffic, wider roads, isolated people, etc. That is my choice (cue Joni Mitchell).

There is also the implicit assumption in your statement that those who advocate alternatives to driving want to take away someone's freedom. Using public and university resources to make car driving more convenient is every bit as much "social engineering" as encouraging people to use non-car means or simply allowing traffic pressures to discourage people from driving.

What is really amazing to me is that the mere suggestion that it is good for people to get out of their cars is so threatening to some people. I happen to agree with Jerseygirl but I don't even think that we need to appeal to the greater good to drive less. I am doing it based on my own selfish choices.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: July 20, 2005 08:07AM

Roy,

Appealing to the greater good doesn't work in this country. Why else do we have SUVs all over the place increasing hydrocarbon and CO2 emissions while the country is going to war over oil? And nobody in elected office who isn't already in the pocket of corporate America has the financial wherewithal to do anything but cave in to the lobbyists. The best you can hope for is a few invidivuals doing the right thing and "the marketplace" sorting out the rest.

Date: July 20, 2005 02:32PM

Roy, your initial response was sufficiently snarky (or came off that way) to induce similarly irritable responses.

There is clearly more demand for parking on campus than supply. How to correct the imbalance is a policy decision. More parking is one way. Restricting student parking permits is another. Adding other transportation options is a third, though I suspect one that is tough to take very far in a place like Ithaca. Not addressing the imbalance is also an option of sorts, but an irresponsible one that in particular will adversely affect relations with staff.

For the record, I think prohibiting freshman from having cars wouldn'tt be a terrible thing.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: July 20, 2005 03:31PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:
For the record, I think prohibiting freshman from having cars wouldn'tt be a terrible thing. [/q]

Freshmen are required to live in the dorms, right? If you live on campus and have a full meal plan, there's not a lot of need for a car.

Posted by: nyc94 (66.147.178.---)
Date: July 20, 2005 04:19PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:
Freshmen are required to live in the dorms, right? If you live on campus and have a full meal plan, there's not a lot of need for a car.[/q]

Unless your parents don't live in New York City or Long Island which is pretty much the only places served by buses. The vast majority of the miles I put on my car in college were driving to and from Connecticut.

And isn't the Redbud Woods lot simply replacing a parking lot that was where the first West Campus residential college was built? I can't believe the parking currently on the West Campus tennis courts is going to be permanent. Or is it?

Date: July 20, 2005 06:04PM

[Q]marty Wrote:

Get a load of this statement which was alluded to by tub(a):

An agreement has been reached between the Working Group and the Cornell Administration to end the occupation of the woods in exchange for a number of steps to further sustainability and democracy at Cornell. We remain opposed to this parking lot, and are still determined to challenge and transform the power structures of our University. To all our supporters, thanks and stay involved![/Q]
[/q]

Now that everyone is awake and ranting I would like to know....What is the meaning of the word "sustainability" when used properly and just how did the dope who wrote this vapid piece of tripe use it incorrectly? Many thanks in advance to anyone who can write a humorous yet understandable response.:-)

Please note that I will be upset if it was used properly but I will also be simultaneously more than a bit amused if that is the case. (On a sad note I ponied up the dough for season tickets to RIP this week - an error in judgment - but I can't stay away from any division one rink so conveniently situated to my home.)

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2005 08:48PM

[Q]nyc94 Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:
Freshmen are required to live in the dorms, right? If you live on campus and have a full meal plan, there's not a lot of need for a car.[/Q]
Unless your parents don't live in New York City or Long Island which is pretty much the only places served by buses. The vast majority of the miles I put on my car in college were driving to and from Connecticut.

And isn't the Redbud Woods lot simply replacing a parking lot that was where the first West Campus residential college was built? I can't believe the parking currently on the West Campus tennis courts is going to be permanent. Or is it?

[/q]
The long range plan for the ex-tennis courts is not a restoration of tennis.
[ezra.cornell.edu]

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: July 21, 2005 09:21AM

What about road trips to Montreal (drinking age arbitrage)? Come on people!!

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: July 21, 2005 11:55AM

[Q]nyc94 Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:
Freshmen are required to live in the dorms, right? If you live on campus and have a full meal plan, there's not a lot of need for a car.[/Q]
Unless your parents don't live in New York City or Long Island which is pretty much the only places served by buses. The vast majority of the miles I put on my car in college were driving to and from Connecticut.[/q]

Amen. Driving from Ithaca to my home in Connecticut was about 4.5 hours for me. The bus? Well, after you got past the drivers with attitudes, the 3 bus changes, the full buses when you have to then wait for them to find another one, and the price (not bad, but more than driving in my nearly 30 mpg car, nevermind if passengers tossed in a little)... well, I had to take a 6.5 hour bus ride to get to Newburgh, NY where my parents would drive an hour and a half to meet me and then, naturally, an hour and a half to bring me back home.

So what *should* be a 4.5 hour trip turns into a just lovely, uncomfortable, annoying 8 hour affair and a 3 hour trip for my parents. I did it freshman year, and I refused to do it after that. I still hate Shortline.

And no, I don't believe freshman are *required* to live in the dorms, as I've heard of them not doing so, but it's pretty rare cause, well, most people like a social life... and engineers, well, we like the cheap internet ;) (at least it used to be that way).

Date: July 21, 2005 12:16PM

For some period of time freshmen were specifically required to live in dorms. This policy was institued a couple of years after I arrived. I have no idea whether that changed - Fred seems to indicate that it has.

Commuting to and from home is the one solid reason that I can think of to allow students to have cars on campus. However, Cornell could build a parking lot somewhere in the middle of nowhere (further than A lot) and only allow freshmen/underclassmen/whatever to purchase permits to that lot. Provide bus service to that lot around breaks. Such a system would keep cars off campus and alleviate parking problems while still allowing students to drive to and from home.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: July 21, 2005 12:24PM

What about road trips to away games? Not many buses going to Potsdam and Canton I imagine.

Posted by: nyc94 (66.147.179.---)
Date: July 21, 2005 01:25PM

To answer my own question, the "Red Bud" lot will have fewer parking spaces (176) than the lots lost to the West Campus Residential Initiative (286).
[campuslife.cornell.edu]

Anyone know if the garage behind the Law School is still going to happen?

Posted by: Andy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2005 01:32PM

While banning cars for freshman occurs at many campuses and works as a seniority privilege thing, it doesn't make any sense at Cornell. All freshmen live on North Campus now, which is also the site of a gigantic parking lot that is at least 50% empty. There is also another one between the IM fields and the north campus dorms, which is generally pretty full. By banning cars for freshmen, the number of cars on campus will decrease, but it wouldn't alleviate the parking problem, you would just have an even emptier lot on North Campus. The parking problem lies on west campus and in collegetown, or for staff that work on central campus, and also in the fact that Cornell is set in a rural area. Some tradeoff has to exist between green space and ease of transportation. If there is going to be open space, then its going to take time to get places. Or you can pave the whole thing and build a subway. You can't really have it both ways.

Date: July 21, 2005 02:02PM

Good point, Andy. This clearly points out yet again how stupid it was to move all freshmen to North Campus. :-D

Posted by: Jerseygirl (209.191.246.---)
Date: July 21, 2005 03:01PM

One transportation issue resolution I (ok, and everyone else on the business end of the slope) would have liked is a ski lift or at the very least a dang tow-rope on part of the slope. I still get clammy and pukey thinking about the hungover Friday mornings spent racing uphill to class 10 minutes after rolling out of bed. Yeah, the support structures would have been "eyesores," but there's a lot of ugly kids driving BMW SUV's around campus, and I don't see them being eliminated for aesthetic reasons. Unfortunately.

Personally, my vote is for 20 minutes between classes, reliable shuttles to downtown/Wegmans/Wings Over Ithaca, and ample parking (garages?) in remote locations with, again, reliable shuttles, completely subsidized for University employees. I'm sure there are major flaws in those ideas, but it's off the top of my procrastinating head.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 04:33PM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

One transportation issue resolution I (ok, and everyone else on the business end of the slope) would have liked is a ski lift or at the very least a dang tow-rope on part of the slope. I still get clammy and pukey thinking about the hungover Friday mornings spent racing uphill to class 10 minutes after rolling out of bed. Yeah, the support structures would have been "eyesores," but there's a lot of ugly kids driving BMW SUV's around campus, and I don't see them being eliminated for aesthetic reasons. Unfortunately.
[/q]

Do students really drive from West Campus to Central Campus? I didn't think they could get permits that let them park there.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (209.191.246.---)
Date: July 21, 2005 05:11PM

I knew of some who could because Mommy/Daddy would pay the ticket. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing a few guys I knew brag about getting out of being ticketed because of *ahem* who they were. Not convinced the star power shined bright 100% of the time on that one, though.

One jackass, who had so many tickets he was no longer allowed to park on campus, had his mother ask my former boss at the Statler "keep an eye" on the kid's car (Mercedes SUV) to make sure it didn't get towed. Daddy was a trustee and so they stayed at the hotel a lot. The former boss rolled his eyes at her request, thankfully.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 22, 2005 01:44PM

I've been known to drive (a lot) from the corner of Williams and Stewart - think Chapter House - to Barton. uhoh

I'd park from 7:20 or so to 8:55ish (M/W only), and usually get out of there before they started ticketing just[I/] before 9 am. I got caught enough times though that they started towing me anytime they saw me illegally parked on campus.
FYI, that's 10 tickets in a semester - they'll tow after 5 outstanding tickets.

My excuse: that's REALLY early in the morning, I was often hungover, half the time I had to change into a uniform and tame my hair, no one else is parking there at that time, and I would've paid if the info booth was open early enough for me to buy a visitor's parking pass and still get to class on time.

I also think this smiley needs to be used more in this discussion: drive
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2005 01:45PM by Liz '05.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login