Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[OT] The Apocalypse is Officially Upon Us

Posted by Trotsky 
[OT] The Apocalypse is Officially Upon Us
Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: July 01, 2005 12:07PM

[www.realcities.com]

Excerpt:

The first two innings of the July 16th game between the Kansas City T-Bones and the Schaumburg Flyers will be played virtually.

Equipped with Microsoft Xbox game controllers instead of baseball gloves and bats, two video gamers will climb into recliner chairs around home plate at CommunityAmerica Ballpark and slug it out on the park’s 16- by 24-foot video screen.

Their scores from playing two innings of MVP Baseball 2005 on an Xbox will stand when the T-Bones and Flyers take the field to finish the last seven innings of the game.

Mike Stone, commissioner of the minor-league baseball Northern League, said the idea "brings new meaning to the term ‘fan involvement."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2005 12:07PM by Trotsky.

Re: [OT] The Apocalypse is Officially Upon Us
Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 01, 2005 12:30PM

That's pretty cool.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: July 01, 2005 12:41PM

If they want to make it more realistic they should check the lucky fans' thumbs for steroids and open up the controllers in search of illegal circuits.

EDIT - At first I thought this might be about Sandra Day O'Connor retiring ;)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2005 12:42PM by Tub(a).

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: July 01, 2005 01:03PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

That's pretty cool.[/q]

Where by "pretty cool" you mean "an abomination"?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 01, 2005 01:15PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Jordan 04 Wrote:

That's pretty cool.[/Q]
Where by "pretty cool" you mean "an abomination"?[/q]

I don't know if it's an abomination, but I do think it's totally unnecessary and pointless.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bu.edu)
Date: July 01, 2005 02:10PM

No, it's an abomination. Maybe next year they can decide the World Series based on a game of GTA3. Okay, on second thouht, that'd be *kinda* cool ;)

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 01, 2005 02:18PM

Yes, abomination with a capital ABOMINATION.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.research.cornell.edu)
Date: July 01, 2005 02:38PM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:

If they want to make it more realistic they should check the lucky fans' thumbs for steroids and open up the controllers in search of illegal circuits.[/q]
In terms of embarrassing things with which sports businesses have associated themselves, "Rock the Rink" beats the pants off this.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 01, 2005 03:12PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

No, it's an abomination. Maybe next year they can decide the World Series based on a game of GTA3. Okay, on second thouht, that'd be *kinda* cool [/q]

No, it's not, precisely because they're not deciding the World Series with this.

The Northern League is a low-level independent league, in the business of entertainment, not carrying the torch of the national pastime. As an entertainment entity, I don't see much wrong with them getting gimmicky. It's not as if MLB is in danger of being played completely be gamers or robots or computer chips a few years down the road. Heck, MLB couldn't even summon the 'nads to put a Spiderman logo on the bases last year.

This promotion is no doubt driving additional traffic to the CompUSA involved, to this specific game, and likely to games in the future. And because it's so far beyond the realm of reality, it's no threat to the integrity of any meaninful league. No reason they shouldn't be able to have a little bit of fun in Kansas City.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: July 01, 2005 06:24PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

DeltaOne81 Wrote:

No, it's an abomination. Maybe next year they can decide the World Series based on a game of GTA3. Okay, on second thouht, that'd be *kinda* cool [/Q]
No, it's not, precisely because they're not deciding the World Series with this.

The Northern League is a low-level independent league, in the business of entertainment, not carrying the torch of the national pastime

[...]

And because it's so far beyond the realm of reality, it's no threat to the integrity of any meaninful league. No reason they shouldn't be able to have a little bit of fun in Kansas City.[/q]

So, basically, you're saying it's a bush-league stunt which is okay because it's occurring in the bush leagues?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bu.edu)
Date: July 01, 2005 07:02PM

Well, yes, it's not worth making a huge controversy about because it's occuring at such a low level. That doesn't make it any less wrong, however.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: July 01, 2005 08:57PM

It's an abomination, but it's an abomination that we can largely ignore because the Northern League is so unimportant.

Date: July 05, 2005 02:52PM

I created this thread prior to learning that the Merriam Webster Dictionary includes an entry for "bootylicious."

I retract the statement. The Eschatology Express has long left the station.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2005 02:54PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 05, 2005 04:10PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

I created this thread prior to learning that the Merriam Webster Dictionary includes an entry for "bootylicious."[/q]

This is the unabridged dictionary, I take it?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2005 12:33AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

I created this thread prior to learning that the Merriam Webster Dictionary includes an entry for "bootylicious."

I retract the statement. The Eschatology Express has long left the station.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 07/05/05 02:54PM by Trotsky.[/q]

It also has nucular as an accepted pronunciation for nuclear. The wonderful things our president does for our speaking skills.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.walngs01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2005 09:07AM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:

It also has nucular as an accepted pronunciation for nuclear. The wonderful things our president does for our speaking skills.[/q]

Wouldn't be the first time. Ever say normalcy instead of normality? You can thank Warren G. Harding for that one.

Maybe it'll be different, since it's 8 years instead of 4, but GHW Bush's mangling of the word "harrassment" during the Clarence Thomas hearings seems like it's fallen out of common usage, even though just about every newscaster started mispronouncing it. Seems like they've stopped, but maybe there haven't been as many sexual harrassment cases in the news lately.

Am I the only one who thinks of Homer Simpson every time Bush says nucular? "Nucular, Lisa. It's pronounced nucular."

Posted by: nyc94 (66.147.179.---)
Date: July 06, 2005 01:20PM

[Q]Tom Lento Wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks of Homer Simpson every time Bush says nucular? "Nucular, Lisa. It's pronounced nucular."[/q]

And Marge saying to Lisa, "It doesn't take a nucular scientist to pronounce foilage."

Date: July 06, 2005 03:22PM

People who insist on correct pronunciation are giving comfort to the enemy and hate America.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: July 06, 2005 09:51PM

[Q]
It also has nucular as an accepted pronunciation for nuclear. The wonderful things our president does for our speaking skills.[/q]
"Nucular" as a pronunciation long predates Bush's presidency. I recall my grandmother using it at least 15 years ago. It doesn't even seem to be a southern thing, since she was from Long Island. :)

Kyle

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2005 11:51PM

krose is right. I recall hearing on NPR sometime ago that president Eisenhower also pronounced "nucular." I guess Dubya is not the first president to say nucular, and likely not to be the last.... :-P

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: July 07, 2005 12:21AM

[Q]min Wrote:

krose is right. I recall hearing on NPR sometime ago that president Eisenhower also pronounced "nucular." I guess Dubya is not the first president to say nucular, and likely not to be the last.... [/q]

Didn't Carter say it as well?

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2005 09:30AM

yes, but with a georgia accent. read the npr commentary here:

[www-csli.stanford.edu]

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.walngs01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2005 09:41PM

[Q]krose Wrote:
"Nucular" as a pronunciation long predates Bush's presidency. I recall my grandmother using it at least 15 years ago. It doesn't even seem to be a southern thing, since she was from Long Island.
[/q]

I wonder if that pronounciation started with an earlier president, or if it's just a scattered regional pronounciation - like coupon (koo-pon vs que-pon - sorry, I don't know a better way to write that out).

Normalcy for normality definitely started with Harding, but something like nucular/nuclear is harder to pin down. I'm not at all surprised it predates GW Bush, since the Simpsons episodes in question were before his presidency.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: July 11, 2005 11:27AM

Jimmy Carter also used this pronunciation, even more surprising, given his background:

"Carter began his career as a naval engineer after receiving a B.S. degree from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1946. In 1950 the navy decided to build its first ship since the end of World War II and Lt. Carter, who had become a submariner, was assigned to represent the navy with the precommissioning engineering for a new type of submarine. After the navy decided to build two nuclear submarines, he was selected for this service. He was assigned first to the Atomic Energy Commission in Washington, D.C, then to Schenectady, N.Y. as senior officer of the crew of the "Sea Wolf," which was under construction. He took graduate work from Union College in reactor technology and nuclear physics, supervised the training of the crew, and assisted with the construction of the power plant."

(from: [www.engology.com])

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: July 11, 2005 03:50PM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:
Jimmy Carter also used this pronunciation, even more surprising, given his background[/q]

Not really "surprising," since the pronunciation is regional and doesn't connote ignorance (in the same way that Cantabs can't pronounce "Harvard" correctly, and residents of the state of Washington throw an "r" in).

Saying Bush is a moron because he can't pronounce "nuclear" is like saying Stalin was evil because he had a moustache. The assessment is correct, but the given reason is irrelevant.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2005 03:51PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 11, 2005 05:48PM

May the Lord bless me such that some day I am half as moronically successful in life...

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: July 11, 2005 10:46PM

May the Lord forgive you for using that success to cause American soldiers to die for a misplaced ideology or for outright corporate greed.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2005 10:48PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: Erica (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 10:07PM

It obviously didn't start with GWB. There are plenty of people that pronounce nuclear like that. It seems like just a lazy pronuciation stemming from dialect. People brush it off as just being his accent, but the reason why it bothers me is because it's completely random. If you reverse the n and the u, you have unclear. Have you ever heard anyone pronounce that "uncular." It's just the word "nuclear" that the accent seems to affect, and it seems like a lazy thing more than anything.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 11:39PM

Hmm. There is no mention of anything special on either team's web site account of the game.
[www.flyersbaseball.com]
[ism.infinityprosports.com]

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 20, 2005 12:21AM

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: July 30, 2005 03:03AM

Yeah. It was such a weird feeling when I found that it took me months to pronounce "Revenue" correctly after the 2003 Frozen Four.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login