Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lehman to step down

Posted by Kyle Rose 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Lehman to step down
Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: June 11, 2005 12:01PM

Wacky.

[www.cornellsun.com]

Kyle

Re: Apparently True
Posted by: peterg (---.com)
Date: June 11, 2005 12:38PM

Extra, Extra! Read all about it.

[www.theithacajournal.com]

Re: Lehman to step down
Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: June 11, 2005 03:00PM

It's not April, right? Very weird. Maybe as a hockey fan Lehman wanted to give Schafer a $500k salary and the board said no... :-)

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 11, 2005 04:57PM

Dammit, what is the real story!

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2005 07:12PM

Some one knows but it's not me.

Lots of chatter, I mean rumors, today on campus. Everyone seemed to be talking about 2 things:

1) Lehman was too liberal and might have actually had a personal vision.

Pursuant to the university bylaws, the Board of Trustees is vested with "supreme control" over the university, including all of its colleges and other units. Trustees have a fiduciary responsibility to the university as a whole. Among other responsibilities, the board elects the president, adopts an annual plan of financial operation, and establishes degrees to be awarded. Through the bylaws, day-to-day responsibility for administration of the university is delegated by the trustees to the president.
[www.cornell.edu]

2) Lehman's wife was brought in as a presidential advisor and essentially pushed out Inge Reichenbach (who was part of the old guard). Ironically, donations and media coverage have increased significantly in the last 2 years, obstensibly due to the first lady.
[www.news.cornell.edu]

I'd love to know the real story. Seems like awfully strange timing, however. It probably came down to old vs new Lynah.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: June 11, 2005 07:18PM

Didn't everyone else get the email from the chairman of the board?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: June 11, 2005 07:24PM

Yeah I got this
June 11, 2005

Fellow Cornellian:

I am writing to report to you that Jeff Lehman has informed us of his
decision to step down as president of Cornell University, effective June
30, citing differences with the Board of Trustees regarding the strategy
for realizing Cornell's long-term vision.

While much has been accomplished over the past two years, we believe that
this decision is in the best interests of Jeff and the University and all
of its constituents.  The Trustees and all of the members of the
University community appreciate Jeff's many contributions to Cornell over
the past two years, and wish him every success as he goes on to the next
stage of his career.

Hunter R. Rawlings III, president emeritus of Cornell and a current member
of the faculty, has agreed to serve as interim president.  Subject to
approval by the Board of Trustees, his appointment will become effective
July 1, and he will serve in this role until the University names a new
president.

We are pleased and fortunate that Hunter has agreed to guide the
University through this transition.  We are also pleased that Biddy Martin
will continue as Provost, a position she has held since 2000, and that
Antonio M. Gotto, Jr., who has served as Provost for Medical Affairs for
the past eight years, will continue in that role.  Both Biddy and Tony are
valued and respected members of the Cornell community.  With the
University's leadership in experienced and capable hands, we are looking
forward to a seamless transition.

Our work to identify the 12th president of Cornell will begin promptly.
As is the Cornell custom, the presidential search committee, which I will
appoint shortly, will be composed of faculty, student and staff trustees,
Board trustees, faculty, administrators and staff.  The committee will
begin its work this summer and will proceed with the goal of having a
thorough and comprehensive search process completed as soon as feasible.

We are grateful, as ever, for your continued support of Cornell.  We are
committed to our founders' guiding principle of "Any person, any study,"
and to its extension into the twenty-first century.  The work we have set
out to do will continue unabated.  Please be assured we will keep the
Cornell community informed as the presidential search progresses.

Thank you, as always, for your continued support of Cornell.

Sincerely,

Peter C. Meinig
Chairman of the Board of Trustees

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: June 11, 2005 08:56PM

"I try to get out but they just keep pullling me back in!"

Date: June 11, 2005 10:36PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

"I try to get out but they just keep pullling me back in!"[/q]

We want Hot Tub! (clap clap clapclapclap)

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: June 12, 2005 03:04PM

Was that email or snail? I haven't received it either way...

Posted by: Ken71 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 12, 2005 04:18PM

I received an e-mail directed to Cornell Alumni, sent at 11:30 AM Saturday.

I almost deleted it as SPAM - I didn't recognize the Peter Meinig name.

Ken '71

Great...
Posted by: JohnnieAg'99 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 12, 2005 10:39PM

One of the comments on the Sun article says that we're "floundering in a sea of mediocrity..." I wouldn't go that far, but Rawlings only lasted 8 years, and this is a big black eye - especially since it's the first time we ever had a grad run the place - which I find shocking and pathetic.

We should ask our Minnesota friends what it's like to go to a huge state school with abysmal academics, where all anyone has to look forward to is one Kick-A** hockey team :-P

Posted by: French Rage (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 12, 2005 11:40PM

The central power is weak. This is an excellent chance for the College of Engineering to declare war on and conquer those Architecture bastards!

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: June 13, 2005 11:50AM

[Q]

2) Lehman's wife was brought in as a presidential advisor and essentially pushed out Inge Reichenbach (who was part of the old guard). Ironically, donations and media coverage have increased significantly in the last 2 years, obstensibly due to the first lady.[/q]

This had to have been an awkward situation, no matter how well all the parties handled it. Lehman's wife had had the equivalent of Reichenbach's job at Michigan, and having someone that well connected and capable looking over Reichenbach's shoulder must have made the Yale job very appealing to Reichenbach.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: June 13, 2005 12:29PM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:

2) Lehman's wife was brought in as a presidential advisor and essentially pushed out Inge Reichenbach (who was part of the old guard). Ironically, donations and media coverage have increased significantly in the last 2 years, obstensibly due to the first lady.[/Q]
This had to have been an awkward situation, no matter how well all the parties handled it. Lehman's wife had had the equivalent of Reichenbach's job at Michigan, and having someone that well connected and capable looking over Reichenbach's shoulder must have made the Yale job very appealing to Reichenbach.

[/q]

Agreed. And I don't mean to dismiss Reichenbach's contributions to Cornell over her 25 years (I believe that's how long she'd been here). Still, ironic isn't it?

Curious quote from NYT
Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: June 13, 2005 12:47PM

I haven't seen today's paper, but from yesterday's online edition, under the tagline Cornell President Resigns, Citing Split With Trustees:

[Q][Lehman] said that that was how he would characterize the situation between him and the board's chairman, Peter C. Meinig. "What's best for Cornell is to have a president who's in perfect alignment with the chairman of the board," he added.[/Q]

Although that's probably true for any university, how realistic is it to expect a "perfect alignment" between the 2?

Should Lehman be the only one to take responsibility for this? Shouldn't the board be somewhat accountable? Seems pretty messy.

Re: Curious quote from NYT
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 13, 2005 12:57PM

You're nitpicking. Of course "perfect" is not very realistic. Obviously the disagreement was significantly short of perfect for Lehman to leave in this way.

I don't know who is "responsible". But clearly Lehman has to be the one to go if there's a significant disagreement. Whether or not their vision is appropriate, the board is the higher power and they get to have the final word.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: June 13, 2005 01:12PM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:
Should Lehman be the only one to take responsibility for this? Shouldn't the board be somewhat accountable? Seems pretty messy.
[/q]

In the end, a University President (whore for more money) is an employee of the Board of Trustees (grasping exploiters, er, sorry, selfless guardians of current money).

So yeah, he goes, in a heartbeat.

Posted by: Matt Janiga (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 01:30PM

or we could vote the board out at the next election period.

Date: June 14, 2005 02:54PM

Alumni expressing their displeasure is the one real way to hold the board accountable for its actions. The way the system is set up I don't think it's really feasible to "vote the board out" because I don't think we get to elect the majority of the board members (someone who knows the system better than I feel free to correct me here).

Then again, if the the problem was that "Lehman was too liberal and might have actually had a personal vision" as ithacat suggests then I for one am not going to castigate the board over this...

Date: June 14, 2005 03:52PM

I don't think anyone should jump to conclusions about this situation, and I would guess that we will never have the full story. Having been through a similar situation on the board of a much smaller organization a few years ago, I suspect no one on the board wanted to see this happen, and that neither the board nor Lehman wants to air dirty laundry in a way that could potentially damage the institution, whose welfare comes first before the particular interests of either the board or the president. That's the way it's being handled, as it should be. The administration seems to be in full, damage control mode, stating through various mouthpieces that the impact of Lehman's departure will be slim to none on the operation and future of the university. Extremely sad turn of events, though. FWIW, I was around for the sudden departure of another President - James Perkins - in a much more tumultuous time, and the ship righted itself just fine when Dale Corson took over. I would expect things to go at least as well this time around.

Date: June 14, 2005 04:18PM

I'd love to know how the Cornell Board actually works. I have always been under the impression that a Noyes, a Uris, an Olin, and "the eldest lineal descendent of Ezra" get together in a smoke-filled room and figure out what they are going to have the university to do. They tell "their" 51+% of the Board and that's what gets done. The other 49-% of the Board is a sop to diversity or some other PR-statement-of-the-month and means zippo. Through it all, Mr. Potter plots how to take control of the Savings & Loan.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 05:43PM

Is that any diffeent than how the boards of most corporations work these days? Nope.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 08:58PM

Personally, I am glad the Board has the final word. They've been affiliated with running Cornell for much longer then Lehman.

My guess would be that they terminated him for not conforming to their long term vision despite the press release saying that the reasons was 'differences with the board regarding the strategy for realizing Cornell's long-term vision.'

Although his departure after such a short term is bad for Cornell's short term stability but I feel that this will be good for Cornell in the long term. Lehman has not done nearly enough to work on our low positon in college rankings, and has been responsible for the departure of Inge Reichenbach and the Redbud mess. Lets hope his replacement handles things better.

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2005 03:20AM

[Q]Ben Rocky 04 Wrote:

Personally, I am glad the Board has the final word. They've been affiliated with running Cornell for much longer then Lehman.

My guess would be that they terminated him for not conforming to their long term vision despite the press release saying that the reasons was 'differences with the board regarding the strategy for realizing Cornell's long-term vision.'

Although his departure after such a short term is bad for Cornell's short term stability but I feel that this will be good for Cornell in the long term. Lehman has not done nearly enough to work on our low positon in college rankings, and has been responsible for the departure of Inge Reichenbach and the Redbud mess. Lets hope his replacement handles things better.[/q]

i am not a lehman apologist, but to expect a rookie university president turn around cornell's "low" rankings in less than two years time is almost unfair, not to say ridiculous. by that logic, hunter rawlings's previous tenure as president must also be a failure, since cornell seldomly broke top 5 under his watch, IIRC. unlike coach schafer and the hockey team circa 1995, lehman is only an administrator, not a magician or god.

i don't know enough to comment on ms. inge reichenbch's resignation or on the redbuds incident. however,
didn't the plan to build a parking lot on redbud woods began long before lehman got there? why all the responsibility on him?

like everyone (well most everyone) i am left wondering what was lehman's approach for realizing cornell's long-term vision (whatever that is), and whether or not i would have preferred his over the board's.

Date: June 15, 2005 08:20AM

[Q
like everyone (well most everyone) i am left wondering what was lehman's approach for realizing cornell's long-term vision (whatever that is), and whether or not i would have preferred his over the board's.
[/q]

That really sums it up. Until someone discloses that info, and I doubt anyone ever will, anything discussed here is utter speculation.

Tho I gotta admit, I feel the same as min does. Inquiring minds want to know. :-P

Date: June 15, 2005 11:23AM

I too am very interested in what this 'long term vision' or the differences in implementing it entailed.

Lehman clearly did not believe college rankings were something the university should be spending time or money on. Have you seen the new Undergrad Admissions page? Its terribly lame.

Redbud was long a part of the west campus plan, but it was while he was president that he adopted a university wide sustainability policy and then acted like bulldozing 150 acres wasn't a violation of his own policy. It was also under his watch that we ended up gaining national attention for denying students degrees just because they protested the hypocrisy of his administration.

Date: June 15, 2005 11:28AM

[Q]Ben Rocky 04 Wrote:
It was also under his watch that we ended up gaining national attention for denying students degrees just because they protested the hypocrisy of his administration.[/q]
I have no idea what this is referring to, so I doubt whatever the fuss was qualifies as "national attention."

Date: June 15, 2005 11:54AM

[q]Lehman clearly did not believe college rankings were something the university should be spending time or money on. Have you seen the new Undergrad Admissions page? Its terribly lame.[/q]To be honest, college rankings aren't really something that a university should have to worry about. The rankings are relatively useless and only seem important due to marketing by US News. Does the fact that Cornell is x vs. x+2 rank really tell you much about the school? No. Does a drop of one or two spots mean anything? No.

Can't comment on the Undergad admissions page. That's something the the school can easily control and should do properly. After a quick glance I'm not immediately embarrassed by it, which is eomthing at least. :-)

Date: June 15, 2005 11:57AM

I am refering to the New York Times article & AP wire services article from June 7. Both very critical of Cornell for planning on developing land Robert Treman gave to Cornell to be kept perpetually green and not allowing Danny Pearlstein and Daisy Tores to graduate on time or receive transcripts.

If you want to pay to read it on the NYT website, search 'redbud' & it is the first result that comes up.

Date: June 15, 2005 12:03PM

I don't want to get in an argument about rankings, but here is an article to consider before you make the claim that they don't matter.

[www.news.cornell.edu]

The new undergrad admissions page no longer has clipart from Microsoft Office, which is a massive improvement over the old page, which was a disgrace. But its still a bland, boring page that doesn't show off our diverse student body or fields of study, beautiful campus, greek life or any other amazing parts about Cornell. I feel that it still does our alma matter a great injustice.

Date: June 15, 2005 12:13PM

I have no doubt that the rankings have some effect. What I said was that they shouldn't matter. The reason they affect applications, et.c is because kids (and parents) foolishly believe the marketing of the rankings. A drop of a place or two doesn't really provide any real information about the school. Some people certainly think it does though.

Date: June 15, 2005 12:17PM

[q]If you want to pay to read it on the NYT website, search 'redbud' & it is the first result that comes up.[/q]Subscription only archives. The AP stories that I found quickly on Google gave very little detail of the situation.

To be honest, I don't even know where Redbud Woods is (are?).

Date: June 15, 2005 12:19PM

My apologies, I misread your post. It would be wonderful if they didn't matter, or didn't exist at all. Unfortunately, they are a fact of life in American Higher-Ed and we must do our best to stay on top, even if it is meaningless.

Date: June 15, 2005 12:21PM

Its the area bounded by Cornell Avenue, Stewart Avenue & University Avenue. It would be the 600-block of Stewart Ave., Delta Phi & Von Crom's backyard.

Posted by: ugarte (---.axiomlegal.com)
Date: June 15, 2005 03:12PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

If you want to pay to read it on the NYT website, search 'redbud' & it is the first result that comes up.[/Q]
Subscription only archives. The AP stories that I found quickly on Google gave very little detail of the situation.

To be honest, I don't even know where Redbud Woods is (are?).[/q]
Here is the article from the Sun: [www.cornellsun.com]

Redbud - Does size matter?
Posted by: peterg (---.com)
Date: June 15, 2005 04:54PM

[Q]Ben Rocky 04 Wrote:

Redbud was long a part of the west campus plan, but it was while he was president that he adopted a university wide sustainability policy and then acted like bulldozing 150 acres wasn't a violation of his own policy. It was also under his watch that we ended up gaining national attention for denying students degrees just because they protested the hypocrisy of his administration.[/q]

Just in case the above causes some misunderstanding, the site in question probably is no more than 2 acres, if that, and not 150 acres as indicated above.

Here is a link to a page placed by the University that has some pictures (pictures are always nice!) and a map, though there is not a current fly-over shot to give a sense of how the site looks today.

[www.campuslife.cornell.edu]

Google "Redbud Woods" and there now tons of reports, though most not terribly informative. The Plantations page for it, quoted on the site listed above, gives some useful information about what is actually there.

[www.plantations.cornell.edu]

Re: Redbud - Does size matter?
Date: June 15, 2005 05:21PM

I'm working on a re-vegetation project here in PA. If that article is correct about the stuff that's growing there 1) It's truly not woods, it's a brush-patch and 2) it's of limited value to wildlife, and certainly doesn't lead to the wildlife diversity that a place like Sapsucker Woods does. That said, I'd rather see greenery than another parking lot.

Date: June 15, 2005 05:30PM

Thanks for the Sun link.

I really can't say I have a problem with the Administration's actions here. You may say "...they cared so much about Redbud Woods to sit in the president's office and have a conversation" but you don't have a right to force yourself into someone's office. Actions have consequences even if well meaning.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: June 15, 2005 05:33PM

[q]"This is a University that we know and love," Pearlstein said. "When I sat in the back of the police car, I sang the Alma Mater."[/q]

Such martyrs! laugh

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 15, 2005 08:58PM

[Q]Ben Rocky 04 Wrote:
Lehman has not done nearly enough to work on our low positon in college rankings, and has been responsible for the departure of Inge Reichenbach and the Redbud mess. Lets hope his replacement handles things better.[/q]

I'm curious, from what are you drawing your conclusion that Lehman has not done nearly enough to work on our "low" position in college rankings, other than your personal opinion of the UA website?

If it's drawn from the fact that our rank has not gone up, do you suppose the presidents of the schools around us in the rankings are doing nothing, or that all statistical measures of those schools' rankings stay the same from year to year, and so any improvement of Cornell should improve our rank?

Beeeej

P.S. My problem isn't that the rankings "shouldn't" matter, as Keith says, though I agree with him. It's that when we were #14, everyone was saying they don't mean anything and aren't accurate - then when we somehow hit #7 or #6 a few years back, suddenly half my alumni friends were saying, "Finally, they got it right!" You can't have it both ways.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: June 15, 2005 09:04PM

We were #7 or #6 one year? I'm surprised, but considering what I think of the rankings not very surprised that I missed it.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: June 15, 2005 09:21PM

Posted by: French Rage (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 15, 2005 11:41PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

We were #7 or #6 one year? I'm surprised, but considering what I think of the rankings not very surprised that I missed it.[/q]

We were #7 when I arrived in 2000. Then I think 10, 14, 14. It was all me, I confess.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 16, 2005 08:38AM

It should also be noted, for those who care, that US News & World Report changes the formula every single year. So any indicia of reliability those rankings purport to have is even further an illusion.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: June 16, 2005 09:46AM

There are some major portions of the formula that US News uses that have remained constant over the years, and this is where I feel the administration could have made changes to address the problem.
Chief among the formula components is class size, specifically the percentage of classes under 20 and those under 50. These two factors count towards almost 8% of the US News ranking data and this is where the hiring of just a few dozen new professors in key departments [for example Govt, AEM, ORIE, PAM, several Bio Depts, ILR, Nat Res, ECE] could have really reduced the number of classes that US News perceives as large. This also would have an added bonus of reducing the student to faculty ratio at Cornell, which is higher then many of our peer institutions.
Another area that US News factors into the ranking calculation in a big way is the selectivity of a university, basically a school's rejection rate. Cornell had a large jump in applications for the class of 2009, almost 17% which will result in a higher rejection rate for the school. This jump in applications could be attributed to many things: the new Big Red Book (long overdue) and perhaps the new website. To increase our selectivity without changing the size of the undergraduate student body, we need to increase applications more. Although 17% is a huge jump, I feel that this number could be much higher. Lehman should have fired Doris Davis as soon as he took office as she has done very little to help our on- and off- campus recruiting. He was talking about converting the AD White House from Society for the Humanities offices into a campus visitor relations center and starting point for tour groups. He should have done that.
Both of these would be small steps that would not have deformed the character of the school but would have made a difference in how the school is viewed nationwide. Personally, Cornell is a top ten or even a top 5 school in the nation and we should be ranked as such. Forgive my pride.
I do not think that a university President's job is to concentrate on rankings, and I am sure that his failure to do so was not the only reason or even part of the reason he was removed from office. The schools around us: Chicago, Brown, Wash-U & JHU are better at playing the rankings game right now, and we should learn from them. I am hopeful the next president of Cornell will recognize the problem & can bring in some good people to work on it.

Regarding your PS: I think its the Cornell administration that says rankings don't matter. The minute we fell from the top ten, that was their typical spin to hide the fact that they had not done their jobs.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2005 12:04PM by Ben Rocky 04.

Date: June 16, 2005 09:52AM

[Q]Ben Rocky 04 Wrote:

Cornell had a large jump in applications for the class of 2009, almost 17% which will result in a higher rejection rate for the school. This jump in applications could be attributed to many things: the new Big Red Book (long overdue) and perhaps the news website. [/q]

Wasn't it a result of going to the common application?

Date: June 16, 2005 10:09AM

I'm sure thats also part of it.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: June 16, 2005 10:20AM

The #7 ranking was a mistake, plain and simple. US News got our student:faculty ratio blatantly wrong. I think they transposed it, like 13:1 instead of 31:1 - but whatever. Although a friend of mine who entered in 98-99 was fond of jokingly telling people that they based it on the outstanding current freshman class ;)

As far as rankings go, it's virtually impossible to move much, because somewhere around 50% of the ranking is based on 'reputation'. The name Cornell will never ring the same with the average non-academic the same way that Harvard, Yale, and Princeton do. And not even the same to your average geek at MIT, CalTech, maybe Berkeley, etc. You'd be amazed, sitting in my dorm room at night goofing off before sleep, chatting with random people online... how many of them had never ever heard of Cornell, or maybe vaguely recognized the name, but had no idea it was an Ivy. I dunno if it's location or what, but providing a world class education and being involved in a mission to Mars which got major press, can only do so much when you're behind in the name department.

As far as Redbud, it's a shame, but it was pretty much inevitable once they decided to redo west. First off, it's not a woods, hardly, it's more of a field or a backyard. It's pretty, but we're not talking rainforest here. And Cornell has taken steps to use vegetation to disguise the new parking lot.

It's a simple fact that they needed a lot. I'd love it if it could be elsewhere, but it can't. As is Ithaca's way, some hundred-thousand-or-so environmental impact studies have been done and cleared. There are no prettiness impact studies, so deal. I'm as sentimental as anyone... heck, I'm sentimental that they're knocking the UHaul's down. Class of 28 may have been whole unremarkable, plain, standard, and old, but I have some great memories there and it sucks that when I visit Cornell I will no longer be able to stand out front or wander inside and remember all the hours and months I spent there, the good and the bad, but overall a great freshman year. But I'm not gonna invade someone's office about it. You have to draw the limit and accept that you can't win them all, and some specific examples aren't worth it when your time could be better spent fighting for things that you can make a difference on, and make a bigger difference to the community and the world. They lost, they should've moved on, and they broke the law. Deal with it. And I'm as liberal as anyone on a lot of issues.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2005 01:44PM by DeltaOne81.

Date: June 16, 2005 11:08AM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
I'm as sentimental as anyone... heck, I'm sentimental that they're knocking the UHaul's down. Class of 28 may have been whole unremarkable, plain, standard, and old, but I have some great memories there and it sucks that when I visit Cornell I will no longer be able to stand out front or wander inside and remember all the hours and months I spent there, the good and the bad, but overall a great freshman year. But I'm not gonna invade someone's office about it.[/q]

I miss the Dustbowl. :`(

Date: June 16, 2005 11:45AM

[q]Wasn't it a result of going to the common application?[/q]Common application? Are you saying they had specific applications for each individual college for a while? I'm pretty sure there was only one when I applied (though I can't check since I'm at work right now).

Date: June 16, 2005 11:49AM

The class size/faculty ratio situation in a consequence of being a much larger school than a lot of our peer schools. Yes, maybe the administration could improve the numbers in some of the specific class size metric by some targeted hiring. But Cornell is going to lose on these grounds to a Princeton or Brown simply due to the size of the student body.

Maybe we could just send letters to half of next year's incoming class that say "Sorry, your offer has been rescinded"? That would soon halve our faculty ratio, improve class sizes and (iwith clever accounting) improve the rejection ratio! A perfect solution! :-D

Date: June 16, 2005 11:51AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

Wasn't it a result of going to the common application?[/Q]
Common application? Are you saying they had specific applications for each individual college for a while? I'm pretty sure there was only one when I applied (though I can't check since I'm at work right now).
[/q]

[www.commonapp.org]

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: June 16, 2005 12:40PM

The Sun has posted a discussion it had with Lehman concerning his departure. For those still wondering about the "why", I suggest reading some of the feedback. It might be purely rumor and speculation, as another reader suggests.

[www.cornellsun.com]

Date: June 16, 2005 01:08PM

I have to say those are all excellent ideas, Ben. But I don't think they're necessarily very realistic given financial and logistical reality - especially if you're judging someone on his first two years as a university's president.

A few dozen new faculty? With whose ten million dollars per year? In what previously unused offices and classrooms, or in what new buildings with what hundred million dollars? And do you know for sure that Lehman didn't push in his first two years for more faculty hiring, with the results simply not yet obvious or in fruition?

You say "he should have done that" about the White House as if it could've happened with a wave of his hand, and not after addressing the concerns of all the departments involved and over the course of 18 months of figuring out how to move everyone properly and get the plan to work.

Plus, I respect that you're never completely satisfied and don't want to rest on laurels, but 17% is a hell of a jump in the world of undergrad college admissions.

I appreciate your criticism of Lehman, and I think every President Cornell has should be held to a high standard. I just don't know if you're being fair here.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: profudge (---.ct.us.ibm.com)
Date: June 16, 2005 02:09PM

Ben,

As I have a son who will be a college freshman next year (Oberlin) and he looked at a bunch of good smaller schools there is a wave of baby boomer second generation kids many of the good schools Colgate, RPI, Swarthmore, Oberlin, Olin, and SUNY Binghamton Honors college and some others have seen a high 20 to even a 30 % increase in applications in last year. This is according to what Admissions folks have been telling kids and parents.

It is a zoo out there not only the entry but to fight for some Merit and/or needs based money (needs is defined such that I would have to mortgage to the hilt and pay interest a lot before offspring would get really significant help maybe 75% of costs which I had hoped for). I was dreaming :-(

Date: June 16, 2005 02:37PM

Although a few years old now, Caitlin Flanagan's Atlantic article on college admissions is still a breath of fresh air on this topic:

[www.chs.fuhsd.org]

The rankings are a least common denominator of easily measured indices that in reality provide little useful information in helping to make good college decisions. The advantages of a school like Cornell that offers a wide range of courses and opportunities for in-depth studies are simply not going to be reflected in the ratings, compared to our more limited Ivy peers. The US News ratings also rely too heavily on the evaluation of peers and not enough on objective measures, such as number of Nobel prize winners or AAAS fellows on the faculty, which are probably better indicators of faculty quality.

It's unfortunate that schools do game the ratings system. Examples: One esteemed university in Virginia makes a point in soliciting donations from alumni that if they give even a little bit, it helps in the ratings. Or, a private university in North Carolina is famed for its aggressive recruiting to boost selectivity rates. One of their oft-repeated claims is that they reject two of every three valedictorians who apply - simply breathtaking when one considers the fact that there is no national database of valedictorians and that admissions decisions are made before final class rankings are available. Ehrenberg's findings are depressing in that ratings do matter, but I would hate to see Cornell head down this cynical path.

Posted by: Ken '70 (---.town.ipswich.ma.us)
Date: June 16, 2005 03:30PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

Here is the article from the Sun:[/q]

Things have certainly changed since I was there. Taking over a university building got not punishment but the president's arm around your shoulder at Barton hall. These protestors obviously weren't carrying enough shotguns, weren't the right color and didn't resort to sufficient thuggery to earn the fawning solicitude of the administration.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: June 16, 2005 05:54PM

[Q]Ken '70 Wrote:
Things have certainly changed since I was there. Taking over a university building got not punishment but the president's arm around your shoulder at Barton hall. These protestors obviously weren't carrying enough shotguns, weren't the right color and didn't resort to sufficient thuggery to earn the fawning solicitude of the administration.

[/q]

I think it's more likely simply that these protestors aren't sympathetic to any significant constituency that the Cornell administration cares about. The vast, vast majority of comments I've read about this case demonstrate little tolerance for criminal and/or childish behavior, especially when it's being employed to support such a trivial cause.

FWIW, the immediate cause of the Willard Straight takeover was equally trivial, but was masked by the larger and more inflammatory issue of civil rights, which made the University much less confident in the successful PR of a heavy-handed response. There is no larger issue here: these protestors are reactionary extremists with too much time on their hands and too little perspective; thus, few people care one way or the other about how much time they spend in jail.

Kyle

Date: June 16, 2005 06:34PM

While I agree that there were much deeper issues involved in the Willard Straight takeover than in the Rosebud protest, I also think that there's a different environment today. There would much less tolerance for a violent (or threatening) demonstration today than there was in 1970.

Date: June 16, 2005 06:48PM

Having witnessed the Day Hall/Redbud takeover, I would just like to say that it was completely non-violent, non-threatening and non-destructive.

I was not around in 1969, but as I heard from alumni involved and the book about the subject, the WSH takeover was in response to a cross being burned on an african american co-op's lawn and a lack of administration response to calls for an african-american studies program. It also was originally unarmed, and weapons were only introduced after one fraternity decided to act like vigilantes and force the occupying students out of the Straight and the buildup of upstate county sheriffs downtown to possibly retake the building. If anyone was acting like thugs it would be the DU boys who tried to act like the campus police.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 16, 2005 07:43PM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:
The US News ratings also rely too heavily on the evaluation of peers and not enough on objective measures, such as number of Nobel prize winners or AAAS fellows on the faculty, which are probably better indicators of faculty quality.[/q]

Plus, even the "objective" measures are deeply flawed. For instance, there's no way for their formula to take into account the quality of the education offered by Cornell's statutory colleges for much less money. Despite Cornell's hybrid structure, the "value per cost" for Cornell is calculated using only the endowed tuition.

[q]It's unfortunate that schools do game the ratings system. Examples: One esteemed university in Virginia makes a point in soliciting donations from alumni that if they give even a little bit, it helps in the ratings.[/q]

That's an occasional refrain in Cornell's mailings too, or at least it was when I was in Development. But you'd probably be surprised how near-impossible it is to convert a non-donor to a donor. For one thing, they have to read the letters or take the phone calls first. And even when you do convert them, you have to convert 1,600 of them in a single year to make a 1% dent in the overall participation rate, while still retaining every single donor from the previous year.

(There were also rumors, by the way, that some of the higher-ranked schools were regularly reporting participation rates for solicited alumni rather than the requested figure, that for all alumni. US News does very little independent verification of what schools submit.)

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2005 07:44PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: June 16, 2005 08:54PM

Definitely, thanks for the link so we could get a better idea of what is going on. It sounds like "David" on the adjoining Sun forum has a good head on his shoulders and is a very rational thinker. I am as much for open space and forest preservation as anyone (I live in Vermont so I can spend a lot of time in the mountains and have green space all around me), but if I remember correctly, the area being discussed is just a grove of trees in the middle of a bunch of streets and buildings and not anything special.

Re: Redbud - Does size matter?
Date: June 16, 2005 09:02PM

This article confirms my memory that the Redbud area is no special forest. With large need for parking near campus more needs to go somewhere, and this area seems as good as any. The overlay in the link actually looks less intrusive than I had envisioned.

Date: June 16, 2005 09:15PM

Class size may affect the rankings, but I don't think it is really that big of a deal. One of the best classes I have ever taken was Psych 101 with about 2,000 fellow Cornellians. In high school I took a Calc class with all of 2 other people and I couldn't figure out much at all because the teacher sucked. A year later I got an A in college with a far better instructor. My point is, there are many factors that affect the rankings, but how many really affect the quality of a school's education and the experience gained in being there.
Ben, I really don't know the situation, but I am curious about all of your criticisms of this information and would like to play devil's advocate. What evidence do you have to back up your claims that any of the people you mention have not done anything towards some of your stated objectives or should have acted on things they have not. Based on your '04 listing I am quite sure you have not ever tried to make changes in a large, bureaucratic institution (or a small one for that matter). Two years goes by very quickly, and many times progress in an area is a goal to be achieved. Often, 5 years is more realistic for real change.

Date: June 16, 2005 09:30PM

You've got that right that rankings don't move much. Cornell has been ranked between 10 and 14 almost every year since I applied in '89. I am pretty sure that the schools in front of it have not changed much, either. I certainly don't expect a jump to #5 in a year or two.

Date: June 16, 2005 10:23PM

Cth95-
I too took Psych 101, and I feel that changing that class would hurt the character of the school. One class has very little effect on the percentage of classes under 50 students though. I am calling for the university to reduce the number of students in the big 100 and 200 level intro classes. Hire a few dozen new professors, cap Govt 161, AEM 180, ILR 100 & similar classes at 49 students & teach multiple lectures, and you'll see a rankings increase under the current formula.
If you read my other posts, you will realize I don't actually believe that rankings give a first clue about how good the education is at a given school is, but many people perceive them to be a great indicator of the quality of education offered. This is tragic, picking the college you go to should be about professors and the student body and location, not about rankings. To many in modern college admissions, it is. As this is the game, I think we must play along.
Despite the fact that I am a wet-behind- the- ears '04, I actually have tried to change 'a large, bureaucratic institution' [in this case, Cornell] many times through student activism while involved in a number of student groups & the Save AAP movement. I know its hard, and results come few and far between.
I guess I should apologize for holding the administration to a high standard for running the school I care about, but I'm not gonna. :-P

Date: June 17, 2005 08:21AM

One other way to look at it: by not being in the top 10 or top 5, you get more students applying who really want to go to Cornell for the right reasons rather than those who want to go there because it's in the top 10.

Or is that simply rationalization? rolleyes

Date: June 17, 2005 09:02AM

[Q]Ben Rocky 04 Wrote:
Hire a few dozen new professors, cap Govt 161, AEM 180, ILR 100 & similar classes at 49 students & teach multiple lectures, and you'll see a rankings increase under the current formula.[/q]

Again, Ben, with whose ten million dollars a year, and in what previously empty offices and classrooms or hundreds of millions of dollars of new buildings?

It's fine to propose things that sound good, but someone has to figure out how to do them.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: nyc94 (66.147.179.---)
Date: June 17, 2005 09:24AM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:
in what previously empty offices and classrooms or hundreds of millions of dollars of new buildings?[/q]

You put the grad students in trailers behind the engineering quad and behind Sibley!

Speaking of new buildings, I received Communique yesterday and they made mention of a future project for an information sciences building: 228,00 square feet, $140 million. It is to be "strategically located in close proximity to the College of Engineering, the new Life Sciences Technology Building, Duffield Hall, and the planned Physical Sciences complex." I don't what the last one is but isn't the only "open space" between Engineering and Life Sciences Hoy Field?

Date: June 17, 2005 10:10AM

Beeeej-
Firstly, I don't see where you are coming up with the $10 million number. Say you hire 30 new faculty members @ a salary of $100,000/year. Thats $3mil/year for these new faculty members. If you kept them for 30 years, thats $90 mil. Where should they find the money? Cancel the new Life Sciences Building being built on Alumni Field. Its budgeted at $140mil. The way I see it, 30 new faculty members will do much more towards improving undergraduate education than a giant building filled with researchers and grad students being built on undergraduate athletic team field.

Date: June 17, 2005 10:50AM

[Q]Ben Rocky 04 Wrote:
Say you hire 30 new faculty members @ a salary of $100,000/year. Thats $3mil/year for these new faculty members. If you kept them for 30 years, thats $90 mil.[/q]
If you gave them no raise for 30 years.

;-)

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2005 11:01AM

[Q]nyc94 Wrote:

Beeeej Wrote:
in what previously empty offices and classrooms or hundreds of millions of dollars of new buildings?[/Q]
You put the grad students in trailers behind the engineering quad and behind Sibley!

Speaking of new buildings, I received Communique yesterday and they made mention of a future project for an information sciences building: 228,00 square feet, $140 million. It is to be "strategically located in close proximity to the College of Engineering, the new Life Sciences Technology Building, Duffield Hall, and the planned Physical Sciences complex." I don't what the last one is but isn't the only "open space" between Engineering and Life Sciences Hoy Field?

[/q]

The physical sciences complex is a new building going between baker and rockefeller in that little circle area. I think this idea is kind of ridiculous. I also don't know how you could build something close to life sciences, duffield, and the new physical sciences complex.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.research.cornell.edu)
Date: June 17, 2005 11:23AM

[Q]Ben Rocky 04 Wrote:

Beeeej-
Firstly, I don't see where you are coming up with the $10 million number. Say you hire 30 new faculty members @ a salary of $100,000/year. Thats $3mil/year for these new faculty members. If you kept them for 30 years, thats $90 mil. Where should they find the money? Cancel the new Life Sciences Building being built on Alumni Field. Its budgeted at $140mil. The way I see it, 30 new faculty members will do much more towards improving undergraduate education than a giant building filled with researchers and grad students being built on undergraduate athletic team field.
[/q]
"Cancel" the new life sciences building? So I guess the fact that this beast has been in the planning stages for seven years and that a chunk of that $140 mil was already tied up in the architecture, design, and contracting of the place before the ground was broken doesn't really matter, and all those businesses will happily refund the money. Sounds like a plan.

You can't edit-undo a building, though I'm sure they would have loved to exercise that option on Uris Hall....

Re:
Posted by: nyc94 (66.147.179.---)
Date: June 17, 2005 11:46AM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:
The physical sciences complex is a new building going between baker and rockefeller in that little circle area. I think this idea is kind of ridiculous. I also don't know how you could build something close to life sciences, duffield, and the new physical sciences complex.[/q]

Anything that blocks the view of Clark Hall can't be all bad. The geographic center of Life Sciences, Duffield, and the new physical sciences complex would be in or near Ives. Since that was recently rebuilt perhaps Uris Hall will be "undone". :-) My vote would be replace Malott.

Date: June 17, 2005 11:53AM

My point is that Cornell has massive amounts on money, and in my humble opinion, they don't spend it wisely. Instead of building the next massive research building, they should hire some professors to teach undergrads and rebuild buildings that are falling apart, like Sibley, Warren, Rand or Stocking.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2005 12:41PM

[Q]Ben Rocky 04 Wrote:

Beeeej-
[/q]

You don't account for benefits packages, cost of hiring, and the fact that there is a distinction between junior and senior faculty, each of which carries its own costs of hiring and takes up valuable faculty time (they are primarily responsible for searches and hiring decisions). Furthermore, if any appreciable percentage of the new hires are senior faculty, I am willing to guess that the average salary will be over $100k/year. I think $10mm/year as an average for a 3 dozen tenured or tenure track profs is about right. For 30 profs, maybe it's only $7 or 8mm. That's still a lot of money, and it doesn't guarantee an improvement in undergraduate education.

Here's another thing about your plan - if you believe that smaller courses are generally a better thing, and you want to improve the undergraduate experience by providing a more intimate approach, you MUST cap class sizes between 25 and 30. Maybe increasing the percentage of classes under 50 students would help the rankings, but it wouldn't do anything to improve the quality of undergraduate education at Cornell. Honestly, as a student, is there a measurable difference between a 50 person lecture and a 200 person lecture? I never noticed one, and I don't notice one when I look at it from the teacher's perspective either. Everyone is different, but for me and most of the people I know the break point for distinguishing between a smaller, more intimate classroom experience and a larger, lecture based feel is between 25 and 30. I'm on the high side, as I can run a discussion and establish a productive working relationship with most of my students even in a class of 35, but that takes an enormous effort.

Reducing class sizes to 49 per intro lecture would change nothing apart from taking faculty away from teaching upper level courses and conducting research. I think it would make the intro courses worse, actually. In order to save time on teaching and keep their research time intact, the faculty teaching these smaller intro courses would simply teach them by rote and grade them on automatic pilot (or with scantron sheets, which is even worse), producing an awful experience for the vast majority of undergraduates in these classes. But they would still lose valuable research time, which would hurt Cornell's research productivity.

The only way this would be affordable would be to hire a small army of adjunct professors. This might also prevent the teaching by rote phenonemon. However, Cornell is not in a great location for hiring 50 or 60 adjunct professors, so I'm not sure how this would play out.

Date: June 17, 2005 01:21PM

[Q]Tom Lento Wrote:Honestly, as a student, is there a measurable difference between a 50 person lecture and a 200 person lecture?[/q]

Sure.

There's a difference in the lecture, because a professor can be at least somewhat engaging in front of 50 and solicit feedback. A professor in front of 200 is essentially a prerecording.

But even ignoring that, there is a difference in the overall educational experience, because, while you can get 2 (decently trained and motivated) TAs for a class of 50, you aren't usually going to get more than about 6 (woefully unprepared and disinterested) for a class of 200. The section size tends to increase as the lecture size increases. So does the amount of "dead weight" kids who are only serving their time to generate a grade and move one more space towards their diploma. If you really want to improve Cornell, give those bozos their degrees on their first day of Freshman year, cash their checks, and get rid of them.

Cornell can increase its selectivity, leading to a decrease in revenue but an increase in prestige hopefully leading to an increase in revenue. Or it can become "UMichigan-on-Cayuga." Hopefully there's still enough stodgy elitism to aim to the former, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2005 01:26PM by Trotsky.

Date: June 17, 2005 01:54PM

Faculty urged not to speculate with outsiders / media article: [www.theithacajournal.com]

Posted by: 02 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2005 02:23PM

It seems that one side wanted to maintain the traditional, successful Cornell model of the strongest possible research university with expertise in the most possible fields--essentially what Ezra and A.D. wanted. This side probably supported the massive construction projects. The other side must have cared about something else such as rankings or prestige. The international expansion most likely played a part as well. And of course we cannot forget the possibility that there may have just been a conflict of personalities as the former president seemed to be a bit of a bookworm geek, not a tall and distinguished-looking athlete (Rawlings) or an impressive-sounding professor with an accent (Rhodes).

Also, I doubt there was ever any serious consideration of consolidating colleges as the Sun message board mentions. If it included statutory colleges, that would almost definitely be prohibited by NY State law and perhaps by the Morrill Act, a Federal statute. As for the Rosebuds protests, they are a waste of time and should be ignored.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2005 08:26PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

There's a difference in the lecture, because a professor can be at least somewhat engaging in front of 50 and solicit feedback. A professor in front of 200 is essentially a prerecording.[/Q]

I've been on both sides of it, and I disagree. As a student, I've found that you can have an engaging professor in front of a room of 200, soliciting (and getting) feedback, and you can have a prerecording in front of 25. As an instructor, beyond about 30 students the preparation and course design must necessarily shift to more of a lecture-based approach. You can get most, if not all, of your students involved when there are 30 people in the class. It's nearly impossible with 50, and once you make the decision to go with a lecture approach your style and ability makes a bigger impact on the quality of your lecture than the number of people in front of you.

[Q]But even ignoring that, there is a difference in the overall educational experience, because, while you can get 2 (decently trained and motivated) TAs for a class of 50, you aren't usually going to get more than about 6 (woefully unprepared and disinterested) for a class of 200.[/Q]

This is a good point, although you'd only get 1 TA for the 50 student class and 4 for the 200 (standard policy is 50 students per TA). All else being equal, I agree with you - you're more likely to get the best TAs across the board if you don't need 8 TAs for a single course. With 8 TAs tied up in a single course, at least 1 or 2 of them would either not be fully qualified, or would be more qualified to teach something else, even if they are fully qualified for their current assignment. Be aware, though, that TA training, motivation, and effectiveness varies wildly by professor. When professors don't particularly want to teach a course, they don't bother to train their TAs or give them any guidance. Even among professors who do care about the course, many do not think to offer much in the way of TA training. You're MUCH better off with 8 TAs in a big class working with a prof who really trains and manages TAs effectively than 1 TA in a small class working for a prof who doesn't care about the course or doesn't manage TAs well.

Note also that you still run into this problem if you split one big course into several smaller courses. Whether you have 8 intro level courses with 50 students each or one 400 person course you need 8 TAs.

[Q]The section size tends to increase as the lecture size increases. So does the amount of "dead weight" kids who are only serving their time to generate a grade and move one more space towards their diploma. If you really want to improve Cornell, give those bozos their degrees on their first day of Freshman year, cash their checks, and get rid of them.[/Q]

The flip side of having more uninterested students is you're more likely to have a critical mass of active, engaged, eager students in a big class. This can improve the learning experience for those around them, just as a larger proportion of uninterested students shuffling through the process can potentially devalue a class. Again, it comes down to the instructor.

Increasing section sizes are theoretically a non-issue as sections are capped (often at 30). In practice, you get one or two huge sections and one or two small sections with all the rest falling around 30 students apiece. This is definitely a problem, especially with big courses, but it can be a problem with small courses, too. I once taught two sections in a 59 person course. One section had 18 students and the other had 41.

Posted by: Matt Janiga (---.buf.adelphia.net)
Date: June 17, 2005 11:42PM

Ben,

There's many uses of the word "sustainability." To call a president who examined windmills on Mt. Pleasant, and solar cells on west campus roofs a hypocrite on the issue of sustainability is a bit harsh.

And on the issue of Redbud woods, how are we to attract the best minds -- student and faculty alike -- to Ithaca if there is no where to park on University provided housing? What professor would want to serve as a faculty in residence to a new west campus if they had to park their car in A lot? If we don't attract the top minds, then we certainly can't increase our US News Ranking (which are unimportant IMHO). In short, you can't have your cake and eat it too on this one. Until Ithaca develops a subway system that rivals Boston's or NYC's, then we'll need more parking on West Campus.

And we didn't deny students degrees because they "protested the hypocrisy" of Lehman's decision. Cornell denied students degrees because they committed a criminal act. Additionally, both students involved will have a chance to graduate next semester, after their hearing with the university's judical board.

It's always amazing that after four years at Cornell, some people never managed to touch down on planet Earth. I suggest you stop munching granola with Danny Perlstein and pick up some of Stu Hart's books (such as Capitalism at the Crossroads) before you lambast other University officals over "sustainability."

-Matt

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2005 12:31AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

I'd love to know how the Cornell Board actually works. I have always been under the impression that a Noyes, a Uris, an Olin, and "the eldest lineal descendent of Ezra" get together in a smoke-filled room and figure out what they are going to have the university to do. They tell "their" 51+% of the Board and that's what gets done. The other 49-% of the Board is a sop to diversity or some other PR-statement-of-the-month and means zippo. Through it all, Mr. Potter plots how to take control of the Savings & Loan.[/q]

That seems to be a reasonable interpretation of the rules. [www.cornell.edu] See, especially, the bylaws.

As with classes, so with governing bodies. Once you get over a certain size, the style changes. With 64 members on the Cornell Board, they are well over the limit where everyone is equal and the whole body can participate fully in every discussion. So, they have committees, the Executive Committee being the most influential. Between the quarterly Board meetings they excercise almost the full power of the Board; they set salaries for people like the president; they select the officers of the corporation (who become the next Executive Committee) as well as deans, directors, provosts; and so on.

Of the 64 members, 13 are elected to the board by constituencies: 8 alumni, 2 students, 2 academic staff, 1 non-academic staff. Four are members by dint of their political office: governor, temporary president of the state senate, speaker of the state assembly, and president of the university. One is on the board by birth, the eldest lineal descendent of Ezra Cornell. The governor gets to pick three more. All the rest, 43 in all, are selected by the Board itself.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: July 02, 2005 12:50AM

Since not all of you get these e-mails, here is the latest from HRR3. We will never know what really went down. That's a shame.

July 1, 2005

Fellow Cornellian:

As I assume the position of Interim President of Cornell today, I want to
write to you personally. The past few weeks have been an unsettling
period. President Lehman's resignation was an unfortunate event for many
reasons, and it has generated lingering questions in our community because
it came suddenly and without extensive explanation. As you know, President
Lehman and the Board of Trustees have agreed that his and the institution's
best interests will be served by foregoing more open discussion. Despite
the understandable frustration that creates, I am confident that they have
acted in the university's interests.

During my ten years at Cornell, eight as President and the last two as
Professor of Classics and History, I have developed strong loyalty and
commitment to this great university, as well as deep admiration for its
students, faculty, staff, alumni and Trustees. The sense of pride I felt
as President of Cornell was matched only by the fulfillment I gained from
teaching its students and pursuing scholarship with my faculty colleagues.

During the past three weeks I have spoken several times with Provost Biddy
Martin, Dean and Provost for Medical Affairs Antonio Gotto and Dean of the
Faculty Charles Walcott. I have also talked with a number of Trustees
about the coming year. In all these conversations we have agreed upon the
need to maintain and indeed to enhance Cornell's current academic
priorities during this interim period, and to build momentum for Cornell's
coming capital campaign. Cornell's faculty has created and honed the
research and educational goals the deans have brought forward to the
Provosts. By shaping the capital campaign to support these academic plans
we will insure their realization in the next few years.

It is also important to build upon Cornell's close and productive
relationships with its wider communities, including Ithaca, New York City
and beyond. Cornell's new initiatives in New York City, and its growing
international presence demonstrate the significance of our University's
role in research and education. And we continue to enhance and highlight
our historic mission as the Land Grant University of New York State, a
mission that gives Cornell much of its character and identity.

A search committee is now being formed to identify our next President, who
will lead Cornell in fulfilling its ambitious goals. No matter who is
chosen, we can be confident that Cornell will continue to be one of the top
research universities in the world, a creative generator of new knowledge,
a wise teacher of generations of students and an institution serving the
needs of the State of New York, the nation and the world.

Sincerely,

Hunter R. Rawlings III
Interim President, Cornell University

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2005 04:09PM

[Q]nyc94 Wrote:
Beeeej Wrote:
in what previously empty offices and classrooms or hundreds of millions of dollars of new buildings?[/Q]

[/q]
Speaking of Communique and buildings, the same issue has a two page spread on the Lynah project. There's no news on architectural details, but rather an emphasis on the funding.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.msc.cornell.edu)
Date: July 14, 2005 03:19PM

Rawlings put out a statement on the redbud woods yesterday/today.
[www.news.cornell.edu]

It was emailed to all of the students, but there is a link for those of you that won't get it by email.

Date: July 14, 2005 03:35PM

Hey, they could just ban cars for underclassmen... (sweet smile)

Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: July 15, 2005 01:32AM

[q]2) Lehman's wife was brought in as a presidential advisor and essentially pushed out Inge Reichenbach (who was part of the old guard). Ironically, donations and media coverage have increased significantly in the last 2 years, obstensibly due to the first lady. [/q]

Sorry to be chiming in SO LATE...But, having worked in development for the past ten years (Cornell--Harvard--Stanford), let me just say that the "ostensibly due to the first lady" attribution here is pure fiction. I don't know how you even based this claim. In fact, you can only attribute FY04 (2003-04) to Lehman's regime, since he could not have raised money before he set foot on campus. FY05 (2004-05) closed on June 30. Word on the street is that Cornell's numbers for FY05 are not looking good, compared to previous years.

More importantly, not one single person can take that kind of credit for having raised money for the university. Least of all, wife of the president.

Development/fundraising is a team effort: president, trustees, volunteers, alumni affairs and development staff...even faculty and students often play a role as well.

Inge's departure leaves a void, no question. Her contribution and dedication to Cornell deserves better recognition. Her corporate knowledge (of Cornell and its best donors) would be hard to replace, especially when the university was contemplating embarking on a MAJOR campaign.

Date: July 15, 2005 01:51PM

Also article in Ithaca paper covering the protesters still there:
[www.theithacajournal.com]
Now being ticketed.

Date: August 05, 2005 09:54AM

[Q]CU at Stanford Wrote:More importantly, not one single person can take that kind of credit for having raised money for the university. Least of all, wife of the president.[/q]

Unless she's very, very hot.

Q: "How did you radically increase alumni donations?"

A: "$20 at a time."

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: August 10, 2005 01:38PM

cowbell cowbell cowbell

Date: August 10, 2005 04:03PM

Well now I don't know if I'm supposed to play at Party or Empire. screwy

Date: August 10, 2005 11:15PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

Well now I don't know if I'm supposed to play at Party or Empire. [/q]

Why don't you just play the cowbell?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 08:33PM

Are there counter measures for this sort of thing?

Date: August 20, 2005 01:22PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Are there counter measures for this sort of thing?[/q]

Preferably lethal ones?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.patmedia.net)
Date: August 28, 2005 02:59PM

Is Age MIA? He can usually block these things pretty well.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 28, 2005 09:55PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Is Age MIA? He can usually block these things pretty well.[/q]

I think he's around. He (or someone/thing) closed the other thread (the Cowbell one) that this was happening to. This saddened me, as I meant to post on it that as I was driving up to Ithaca this weekend, the DJ on the radio introduced a song as "The Cowbell Song" and then played a clip from the skit afterwards. :-D

OK, I'll bite
Posted by: TheDrunkenSquirrel (---.178.104.35.dynamic.dejazzd.com)
Date: August 31, 2005 11:56PM

I'm a Minnesota grad so I think I can respond. First, at any Big Ten school the academics aren't abysmal as you claim. I'd reserve "abysmal" as the adjective of choice when talking about the St Cloud States of the world. OK, Minnesota isn't the Ivy League but you could find alot worse. You were, however, correct in that it is a huge state school, which I enjoyed thoroughly.

As far as looking forward to kick ass hockey, you bet! Hell, I saw 2 Hobey winners play in my college years, Bonin and Leopold, and numerous All-Americans. That, of course, is in addition to two recent National Championships. It's nice looking at the world through Maroon and Gold glasses. It was especially nice on March 27, 2005.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2005 11:57PM by TheDrunkenSquirrel.

Re: OK, I'll bite
Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 02:13AM

huh? What does this have to do with keeping us updated on the latest in the online party poker scene? You're a little slow on your rage-agains-ivy-snobbery-and-oh-by-the-way-we-beat-you reply to have anyone here remember what this thread was really about. Now, it's the designated spam repository.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2005 01:12AM

It's a good thing they posted that 50th ad for the online poker. I mean, the first 49 didn't really sell me on it, but the 50th one was the kicker, I'm in! rolleyes

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.