Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

LAX: Cornell-Duke NCAA postmortem

Posted by billhoward 
LAX: Cornell-Duke NCAA postmortem
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2005 06:42PM

Cornell forgot to show up for the third period, Duke's magnificent attack was magnificent, and that's all she wrote: 11-8 Duke over Cornell and a trip to the semis for the Dookies that has now eluded Cornell all three times it made the round of eight the last four years.

If, if, if:

- Cornell had tied it a 4 going into halftime rather than being down 4-3 ...

- If we'd done a little better knocking the wind out of attackman Matt Danowski's sails

- The Duke Q3 blowout was 5 goals to 0, not 7 to 0 ...

- Cornell had gone to emergency war status with about five minutes to play in the third quarter, not with the fourth quarter faceoff.

Cornell in the fourth quarter was awesome to behold. Cornell apparently realized if you couldn't get the human cannons open (Boulukos) for a powerful shot, take the shot anyway when you are kind of sort of open. And damn, the puck -- sorry, wrong sport -- ball went in. We couldn't get the perfect shot often enough in the first three quarters, but the good enough shot went in just about every time in the fourth. It wasn't textbook lacrosse, but it did net us five goals in 15 minutes. I think just about everybody realized an eight-goal deficit was too much to overcome, but Cornell had Duke a little panicky as the margin dropped and dropped again.

Miscellany: Cornell band was way better than the Duke band (what Duke band) ... huge Cornell turnout and many of the fans wearing "21 BOIARDI" shirts ... can it be more Cornell fans attend away lax games? ... [edit adding:] Princeton Stadium looked so full because all the fans were made to sit on one side, the side facing into the sun but also into the TV cameras. (Nobody on the other side, or in the base of the U.)

Not a happy ending to the season, but a lot more upbeat than you'd think considering the narrow victory over Notre Dame and the losses to Army and UNC that started off 2005. Too bad the senior class is moving on. The incoming freshmen have a lot to do. With luck it won't be like Princeton's 2004 to 2005 falloff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2005 07:03PM by billhoward.

Re: LAX: Cornell-Duke NCAA postmortem
Posted by: dadeo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 22, 2005 07:18PM

Yea - just got back from the game. Two interesting things. Cornell didn't score in periods 1 or 3. Duke scored one goal in period 2 and none?? in period 4.

So as it turned out 18 of the 19 goals scored during the match were in one end of the stadium. Very wierd.

Everything was wierd. Especially that 3 minute penalty against Maryland at the end of regulation. (did anyone catch what was wrong with teh guy's stick anyway?)

Dave '02

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: May 22, 2005 09:13PM

I think the basket in the stick was too deep. What I didn't understand was why the stick penalty in the case of Maryland was 3 minute non-releasable, while the Duke stick penalty was 1 minute releasable.

My impression of our game. Duke is FAST! We had to play the control game, but had real problems on the clear, which caught up to us in the third. Plus Duke's goalie had a real fast stick and our deliberate attack gave him plenty of time to get set.

Duke caught an early break or two - like on that first goal where the ball bounced out of McMonagle's crosse right into the Duke guys stick. Then we settled down into our ball control game, and came back to get within one. But it was clear that Duke was faster and always seemed to be in the way of our passes. We couldn't get anything into the slot. Even so, I though of the first half as a moral victory.

Second half comes, Duke scores two quick ones, and we get sloppy. A couple of unnecessary roughness calls go against us. Duke scores a couple more, and we start to panic. We start throwing the ball downfield instead of carrying it. This makes us even sloppier. Our defense gets out of position, McMonagle is left at the mercy of the Duke offense and he gets hammered. All of a sudden it's 11-3. The crowd is out of it.

Fourth quarter comes, McMonagle makes a couple key saves and we get back to our game. We also win a few face-offs. Problem is, we are still slower than Duke and can't make the fast break game work well. So we have to play a deliberate attack game, which is clearly productive, but it takes too long to score. One stop by Duke's goalie and they burn 1:30 off the clock and that kills the rally.

The officiating in our game was much tighter than in the early game. I also think the officiating in the early game was much better than in our game. The officials in our game missed a couple of offsides, and didn't allow nearly as much hitting, which favored Duke and their speed.

Overall, Duke was clearly the superior team, but other than the third quarter, we held our own. I think if we had opened up the offense a bit more, Duke's gaolie might not have had as much time to get set, and the result might have been different, but that's 20-20 hindsight.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2005 10:45PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote: I think the basket in the stick was too deep. What I didn't understand was why the stick penalty in the case of Maryland was 3 minute non-releasable, while the Duke stick penalty was 1 minute releasable.[/q]I think because the ball would not fall out, they ruled tampering with the stick (deliberate) as opposed to the strings loosening.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 23, 2005 08:21AM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:

Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote: I think the basket in the stick was too deep. What I didn't understand was why the stick penalty in the case of Maryland was 3 minute non-releasable, while the Duke stick penalty was 1 minute releasable.[/Q]
I think because the ball would not fall out, they ruled tampering with the stick (deliberate) as opposed to the strings loosening.[/q]Thanks. I was wondering that also. Minor nitpick on the question. The Duke penalty was a one minute non-releasable.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 10:20AM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

I think the basket in the stick was too deep.[/q]
This may be 6 of one, half a dozen of another, but according to the TV guys and what was clearly going on the field, it didn't have to do with depth per say, but when the stick was turned upside down, the ball just stayed in it. The ball must "flow freely from the pocket" when turned over.

The ref took a minute to measure the length, width, depth, and seem to have no concerns, he was about to let the guy off, turned the stick upside down for his last test... and the ball didn't go anywhere. He laughed cause I'm sure he felt bad, but there's nothing he could do. Plain as day, the ball just stuck in an upside down stick.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 10:37AM

all stick penalties, whether one minute or three, are non-releasable.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: May 23, 2005 11:17AM

I hate it when lacrosse season ends. For people like me who aren't baseball fans, the end of lax means the beginning of the Time of Gray Nothingness until fall.

It's even sadder this spring, because we won't be seeing this group of seniors in Cornell uniforms again.

Wasn't Duke impressive? The complete package. Their defense took Cornell's attack and offensive middies out of their game, and their riding was superb. McDevitt, one of the growing bunch of Delaware Valley guys who are kicking butt on the national scene, was nearly flawless. Danowski is so assertive, and Greer finishes everything that ends up near him. You put a good FO guy like Georgetown's Andy Corno on that team, and they'd be invincible.

So the first half answered the "will CU take the air out of the ball?" question. Take away a few of the stupid early turnovers, and it worked pretty well: Spread the field waaaaaay out, milk every possession, take advantage of whatever few fast-break opportunities you get, keep it close at halftime.

But then the refs had to go out and blow the whistle to start the third quarter.

The comeback in the fourth quarter was wonderful to see, but it shouldn't obscure the fact that many of Cornell's veterans lost their cool at least once during this game. I had hoped that Cornell's experience might be a decisive factor. Nope. In this game, it was the mental toughness of Duke's underclassmen that made the difference. Example: Even when Cornell was slowing the game down in the first half (as Maryland did in the ACC championship), not once did I see any obvious signs of frustration from Duke's freshmen or sophomores. Contrast that with, say, Boulukos' body language in the third quarter -- or his unnecessary roughness penalty at the near sideline.

A big thank you to the seniors, the coaching staff, the parents, the band, and all the alumni who showed up (including a horde of former players ... I even met a childhood hero, Mike French). I hope the team took some comfort in the embrace of that crowd. They deserved it.

It was also nice to meet a few iconic eLynah folks, including John Whelan and Josh Herman.

L'shanah haba'ah biPhiladelphia. Next year at the Linc!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2005 11:20AM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Date: May 23, 2005 11:30AM

[Q]dadeo Wrote: what was wrong with teh guy's stick anyway?) [/q]
When you see the ball stuck in the head like that, it's usually the attenuated plastic sidewalls more than the depth of the pocket. The heads on contemporary crosses are so pinched as they approach the neck -- it's a wonder the ball ever falls out.

That was high drama, wasn't it? The ref really made a show of holding the stick upside down. It was wild to see the players react.

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 11:36AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
If, if, if:

- Cornell had tied it a 4 going into halftime rather than being down 4-3 ... [/q]This and the other "ifs" - and particularly when combined with them - are like "if everything about the game were different." We might as well just start with "if we were better than Duke."

Our offense was a bit of an illusion. In the second period two of our three goals were on the power play (why don't they just call it that?) and we gave up a transition shorty in the middle. The scoring in the 4th was closing the barn door after the horse was gone. I don't think Duke was at all worried about blowing an 8 goal lead and powered down to avoid injury. We were beaten by a superior team; I'm not ashamed of the result or lamenting anything that might have been.

As opposed to the Minnesota game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2005 12:48PM by ugarte.

Date: May 23, 2005 12:21PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

Jim Hyla Wrote:

Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote: I think the basket in the stick was too deep. What I didn't understand was why the stick penalty in the case of Maryland was 3 minute non-releasable, while the Duke stick penalty was 1 minute releasable.[/Q]
I think because the ball would not fall out, they ruled tampering with the stick (deliberate) as opposed to the strings loosening.[/Q]
Thanks. I was wondering that also. Minor nitpick on the question. The Duke penalty was a one minute non-releasable.[/q]

Yes, you're correct. Typing error on my part (I forgot to type "non-" rolleyes

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2005 12:22PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: May 23, 2005 12:31PM

I was kind of disappointed in our offense. I'd been reading so much about Nee and Greenhalgh, and they really weren't nearly as dominant as I expected them to be. But as Senor Ugarte said, nothing to be ashamed of.

One other thing. I went to the game with a friend of mine (unfortunately a Duke fan). She was very impressed with the class of the team, especially when our guys took their helmets off and saluted the fans, and the class of the fans, sticking around until the end and not leaving after the third quarter.

Saturday games on TV
Posted by: FRED'83 (---.essd.northgrum.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 01:18PM

Did anyone watch the Saturday games on TV? The color commentator was none other than Cornell All- American goalie Brian Heyward. I thought he did a really good job and was hoping he’d do the Cornell game but I’m a little biased. He was a really good box lax player in his day.

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 01:31PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote: I was kind of disappointed in our offense. I'd been reading so much about Nee and Greenhalgh, and they really weren't nearly as dominant as I expected them to be. [/q]I'm comfortable crediting this to Duke. Their D was smothering and kept us way out of range. Their goalie - until the fourth - was amazing.

(Edited becuase I realized how awkwardly my post read when Hillel quoted it.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2005 02:12PM by ugarte.

Date: May 23, 2005 02:06PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote: I was kind of disappointed in our offense. I'd been reading so much about Nee and Greenhalgh, and they really weren't nearly as dominant as I expected them to be. [/Q]
I'm comfortable crediting this to Duke. Their D was smothering and kept us way out of range their goalie - until the fourth - was amazing.[/q]
Yeah, I think ugarte is right. Until yesterday, no team had been able to contain all four of Cornell's big offensive weapons (Greenhalgh, Nee, Boulukos, Redd). Normally, you'd hope that one of the other guys who ends up with a short stick defender on him -- like maybe Clayton -- can take advantage and do enough damage so that the long poles need to make adjustments that free up the big guns. But Clayton was stymied by Duke's excellent SSDMs.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (146.203.15.---)
Date: May 23, 2005 03:09PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Miscellany: Cornell band was way better than the Duke band (what Duke band) ... huge Cornell turnout and many of the fans wearing "21 BOIARDI" shirts ... can it be more Cornell fans attend away lax games? ... Princeton Stadium looked so full because all the fans were made to sit on one side, the side facing into the sun but also into the TV cameras. (Nobody on the other side, or in the base of the U.)

[/q]

Forgive me if this has been answered before, but my wife wanted to know: What's the significance of 10-45 in a heart on the Boiardi shirt? I offered that 10 might be for McEneaney, but that was all I could think of.

As for the game, I know we were trying to be patient on offense, but there's such a thing as too much patience, and as it turned out, most of our goals were scored on the transition. We had the ball out on the perimeter, waiting for the chance to get close (which Duke rarely gave us -- credit their D), but you have to create chances by sending a cutter through every now and then.

But this is the only game I've seen all season, so I have no business commenting on this team's game plan.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: May 23, 2005 03:31PM

[Q]Hillel Hoffmann Wrote:
all four of Cornell's big offensive weapons (Greenhalgh, Nee, Boulukos, Redd)[/q]

The classes of whom are:

Greenhalgh, Sr
Nee, Sr
Boulukos, Jr
Redd, Sr

Am I right in thinking Cornell might have some trouble scoring next year?

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2005 09:52PM

There are "if-if-if" scenarios like where, say, with a bunch of improbable breaks Clarkson ekes into the NCAA round of eight where it just ain't gonna happen ... and a scenario Sunday where even with Duke the superior lacrosse team, Cornell could have won.

Posted by: DAG (132.236.38.---)
Date: May 24, 2005 11:29AM

45 is Jay Gallagher -- CU player and assistant coach who died [cancer, I believe] way too young.

Date: May 24, 2005 01:42PM

[Q]DAG Wrote: 45 is Jay Gallagher -- CU player and assistant coach who died way too young. [/q]
Yes, I think you're right, DAG. The 45 in the heart is for Gallagher, who was a defenseman at Cornell in the early 1970s. I remember him as an assistant when I was a student in the early 1980s.

And yes, the 10 in the heart is for Eamon McEneaney.

Date: May 24, 2005 03:00PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Hillel Hoffmann Wrote:
all four of Cornell's big offensive weapons (Greenhalgh, Nee, Boulukos, Redd)[/Q]
The classes of whom are:

Greenhalgh, Sr
Nee, Sr
Boulukos, Jr
Redd, Sr

Am I right in thinking Cornell might have some trouble scoring next year? [/q]
Yes. Cornell may struggle to do a lot of things next year, at least early.

On most teams, there are roughly 17-18 guys who get significant minutes: 3 attackmen, 6 offensive middies, 3 close defensemen, 2 short-stick defensive middies, 1 or 2 long-stick defensive middies, 1 face-off-&-get-off guy, and 1 goalie. Cornell will lose 7 guys who got major PT in 2005(*): Nee and Greenhalgh (2/3 of the attack), Redd and Rosenberger (1/3 of the offensive middies), Georgalas and Stevenson (2/3 of close d), and Nelson (FOGO). Some of those guys, particularly on the offensive side, are singular talents. It would be unrealistic to expect any current reserve or incoming player, regardless of their projected long-term potential, to immediately fill the shoes of someone like Sean Greenhalgh or Justin Redd.

I'm excited about the incoming recruits. I also can't wait to see what guys like Henry Bartlett (soph A from Philly) and David Mitchell (soph A from Canada) can do. They're the hungry ones who seldom got a chance to play while the graduating seniors led Cornell to two consecutive NCAA quarterfinal appearances.

But I still think that Cornell is likely to take a small but temporary step backward next year. If they get another NCAA berth in 2006, it would qualify as Tambroni's best coaching job to date IMO.

______

*As well as few locker-room leaders who made largely invisible contributions, such as Leary.

Coming to Philadelphia?
Date: May 26, 2005 12:34PM

Anyone still coming to Philly for the NCAA Final Four? I hope so. Many people in the lax establishment -- particularly those who weren't pleased that the F4 temporarily left the state of Maryland -- have been skeptical that attendance would be satisfactory in Fluffya. Many people also assume that fans of "northern" teams, with the exception of Syracuse fans, don't travel well. Please come down and help prove them wrong. Lots to do down here -- and plenty of new stuff since your last visit, I bet.

Re: Coming to Philadelphia?
Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 26, 2005 11:39PM

I'll be there for the final. While I would have skipped it if our Red were in the semis, Yanks-Red Sox in the Bronx is calling my name on Saturday. See you folks down there.

Re: Coming to Philadelphia?
Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: May 27, 2005 09:29AM

[Q]Hillel Hoffmann Wrote:

Anyone still coming to Philly for the NCAA Final Four? I hope so. Many people in the lax establishment -- particularly those who weren't pleased that the F4 temporarily left the state of Maryland -- have been skeptical that attendance would be satisfactory in Fluffya. Many people also assume that fans of "northern" teams, with the exception of Syracuse fans, don't travel well. Please come down and help prove them wrong. Lots to do down here -- and plenty of new stuff since your last visit, I bet.[/q]

According to yesterday's New York Times, more than 36,300 tickets have been sold.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login