Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lynah renovation

Posted by Al DeFlorio 
Lynah renovation
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2005 10:47PM

Feature article in the May/June 2005 Alumni Magazine titled "Building Boom" describes 30 major construction projects completed or to be completed on campus between 1995 and ????. Among them is one called "Lynah Rink enhancements," to start spring 2006 with scheduled completion winter 2006 (maybe that means between December 22 and 31?). At a cost of $6.5 million, the enhancements will consist of "a 'modest freshening' of the famous rink, which will include improvements to the locker rooms, offices, and press box--and 450 additional seats. Most of the expansion will be on the concourse (upper) level of the building's south side."

Total cost of the 30 projects, by the way: close to $900 million. :-O

Re: Lynah renovation
Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: May 12, 2005 11:42AM

The campus is going to look like Trantor pretty soon. :-/

Posted by: peterg (---.com)
Date: May 12, 2005 01:32PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

The campus is going to look like Trantor pretty soon. [/q]

Ooh. Excellent reference. It's interesting (as with any good science fiction) how often things happen these days that seem to fit right in with those (now quite old) stories.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 12, 2005 05:51PM

interesting about getting finished during the winter. so where will the home games be played if the carpenters arent done yet? or will we see away games early and home games late???

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 12, 2005 09:59PM

[Q]jy3 Wrote: interesting about getting finished during the winter. so where will the home games be played if the carpenters arent done yet? or will we see away games early and home games late???[/q]Most of the work is outside the rink.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: May 12, 2005 11:21PM

so in an attempt to relate this thread to the Notre Dame coaching thread and the talk of giving Schafer anything he desires ... would this not fall in that category???
call me a month out of date, i'm just unaware if anyone has actually said it yet ... so please forgive me if i am just stating the obvious. this could have possibly been what would keep our great coach on the Hill and Athletics did what they knew they had to in order to keep him there.
just a thought before bed ... my apologies if this has already been discussed. :-)

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 12, 2005 11:43PM

I still hate the idea of opposite side benches...

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: May 13, 2005 02:18AM

Second that.

Posted by: Free11Skier (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: May 13, 2005 01:22PM

Changing the benches is a bad idea, but the other changes make the rennovation worthwhile.

Section C is going back to the students! :-D

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: May 13, 2005 02:36PM

[Q]Free11Skier Wrote:

Section C is going back to the students! [/q]

Coach may want new locker rooms, but I'm with you, giving section C back is the best part of this upgrade.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: May 13, 2005 02:45PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

Free11Skier Wrote:

Section C is going back to the students! [/Q]
Coach may want new locker rooms, but I'm with you, giving section C back is the best part of this upgrade.
[/q]

Getting another 450 red-clad Faithful in the place might not be too bad either.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.rapiddevelopers.com)
Date: May 13, 2005 02:52PM

I hope that current Section C ticketholders will be given the option to keep their seats. Some of us have been wishing for years that the rest of C would stand and cheer along with A-B and D-E, and would welcome the opportunity to be in the middle of it.

Having to move to N would, IMHO, just plain suck. :-(

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: DKmathteacher (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: May 13, 2005 03:27PM

Don't forget some of us grad students in G :-P During the second game this season, we were told to sit, but we all protested, and stood up for the rest of the season. I hope that they don't give such crap again next season. GO RED!!!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: May 13, 2005 05:17PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

I hope that current Section C ticketholders will be given the option to keep their seats. Some of us have been wishing for years that the rest of C would stand and cheer along with A-B and D-E, and would welcome the opportunity to be in the middle of it.
[/q]

What he said.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 13, 2005 05:26PM

Wouldn't it make sense to offer the boosters currently in C some of the cushy seats up in the new sections by default? That seems to be the easiest way to displace them. If you send them to the other side of the rink then you have to move someone else too.

Not saying that Beeeej/Whelan, etc. shouldn't be pushing to stay in C...

Posted by: finchphil (---.lightlink.com)
Date: May 13, 2005 09:43PM

Games during the renovation will be played on Bebee Lake!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: May 13, 2005 11:08PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

Wouldn't it make sense to offer the boosters currently in C some of the cushy seats up in the new sections by default? That seems to be the easiest way to displace them. If you send them to the other side of the rink then you have to move someone else too.

Not saying that Beeeej/Whelan, etc. shouldn't be pushing to stay in C... [/q]

Many of us will be pushing. Given the choice of staying in C with students or being moved to wherever they are going to offer exile to the bluenoses, I know where I want to be. Having done time on the waiting list to move from H to C many years ago, plenty of us have demonstrated the requisite degree of loyalty and fervor to stay.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 14, 2005 03:58AM

[q]plenty of us have demonstrated the requisite degree of loyalty and fervor[/q]You Greg, loyalty and fervor? Nah, I don't believe it. :-P

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 14, 2005 10:58AM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Having to move to N would, IMHO, just plain suck. [/q]

Well, I hate to sound like an a-hole here, since I know and like the people worried about their Section C seats... But my response here is probably going to be the response you'll get from Athletics: Tough.

I'm willing to bet the administration will bend over backwards to try to find a way to please the donors and faithful ticket buyers as much as possible without making them upset, but to unify the student section, you're going to hurt someone. If you let Beeeej, Greg, and John stay there, you're going to have 100 others in that section wanting to stay also, and that isn't a student section. Someone will have to be displaced, and my guess is that the boosters will move to the other red-line seats in M and it'll be the townies in that section who get the shaft (again, the response: "Tough.";)

Of course, this is coming from a person who thinks Section C is the worst section I've tried to watch games from, but that's just me. Personally, I much prefer watching the game from A, H, or O. I'm also very very happy that they're unifying the student section. So color me a freak.

And not to be nit-picky, but didn't the people who have said they're going to fight for their Section C tickets actually only made it back for one (maybe two) weekends this past year?

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 14, 2005 03:00PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:
If you let Beeeej, Greg, and John stay there, you're going to have 100 others in that section wanting to stay also, and that isn't a student section.[/q]

If you tell C-holders that the rest of the section will be permitted, or even encouraged, to stand the whole game, there won't be that many of us. Sections A & B manage to do just fine as "student sections" even with a couple dozen alumni season ticketholders in each.

[q]And not to be nit-picky, but didn't the people who have said they're going to fight for their Section C tickets actually only made it back for one (maybe two) weekends this past year?[/q]

So? People buying our unused tickets will know what they're in for. Besides, you could argue that those of us who spend that kind of money knowing we'll only be there for a few games are the ones you want to piss off least.

Who knows? Maybe I'd actually enjoy the perspective from Section M, getting to hear the chants from the other side. I just don't like the idea of not having the option to stay - especially, as Greg says, after getting through a waiting list. Maybe the cushier new (but more distant) seats will be an option, and one that isn't as bad as I anticipate.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: May 14, 2005 05:36PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:
If you tell C-holders that the rest of the section will be permitted, or even encouraged, to stand the whole game, there won't be that many of us. Sections A & B manage to do just fine as "student sections" even with a couple dozen alumni season ticketholders in each.[/q]
Exactly so. They should at least give us the option. I'm aware that 99% of the student population doesn't give a shit about alumni and boosters, but, to echo another poster: tough. We are, as Durkheim said, a social fact.

And we're donors.

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2005 07:26AM

[Q]DKmathteacher Wrote:

Don't forget some of us grad students in G During the second game this season, we were told to sit, but we all protested, and stood up for the rest of the season. I hope that they don't give such crap again next season. GO RED!!![/q]

They may not give you crap....they may just take away your seats. The reason for the no standing was out of respect for us townie's. Dis them and you may awake the sleeping giant. Many of these folks are alums who have been coming to games before most students even heard of Cornell hockey. I'd wager there are many locals who have been on the the waiting list for years. Get them pissed and you give the administration A GOOD REASON to reclaim those seats for townies.

Concerning the project: money talks. Anyone know how the fundraising is going?

Posted by: pat (---.reston01.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 16, 2005 01:04AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

I still hate the idea of opposite side benches...[/q]

I suppose this means that I shouldn't hope for a return to the single penalty bench and the open, elevated scorer's table?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: May 16, 2005 11:48AM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:
If you tell C-holders that the rest of the section will be permitted, or even encouraged, to stand the whole game, there won't be that many of us. [/q]

In fact, the best option is to do away with "student" and "non-student" seating completely and designate some sections as standing and some as sitting. Then people can self-select. Just as there are alums and townies who would like to be in the standing sections, there must be students who would prefer to sit.

You might then go further and make the standing sections general admission, thus rewarding the people who come early, push the more active fans to be there for warm-ups, and take a lot of the significance off the overnight line and its accompanying cheating and cutting. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: May 16, 2005 12:02PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Beeeej Wrote:
If you tell C-holders that the rest of the section will be permitted, or even encouraged, to stand the whole game, there won't be that many of us. [/Q]
In fact, the best option is to do away with "student" and "non-student" seating completely and designate some sections as standing and some as sitting. Then people can self-select. [/q]

This was the arrangement in both Bern and Berlin. There was a "Stehplatz" and a "Sitzplatz". You can guess which was more fun.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 16, 2005 01:31PM

They would still (presumably) want to designate a certain number of tickets for each group, but that would only be marginally more difficult under your proposal. I like it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login