Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Fundraiser idea with hockey team

Posted by JimmyBob 
Fundraiser idea with hockey team
Posted by: JimmyBob (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 02, 2005 04:25PM

Hey. I was thinking why doesn't the athletic department start brining in more money with something like a skills competition for the hockey team. Kinda like NHL all-star Saturday night. They could have fastest skater, breakaway and shooting accuracy competitions. They could split the team into two teams and let them compete against each other. I don't know about anybody else, but I would be willingn to pay an extra $5 on my season tickets (if Im lucky enough to get some next year) to see a fun competition like that.

Re: Fundraiser idea with hockey team
Posted by: mike (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 02, 2005 04:29PM

They already have that during the skate with the big red. They do it right before the kids get to skate. They have breakaway, fastest skater, accuracy, and fastest shot. Good idea and thats why they already have it.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 02, 2005 05:26PM

They could do a second version of the skills competition towards the end of the year as an additional fundraiser, and we could even see who has improved in each category. :-)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: May 02, 2005 10:17PM

An annual old timers' day would be great. Have a standing invitation for all former lettermen, or perhaps feature an anniversary team each year (I'd pay to see the 20th anniversary of the '86 team play a team of all other alumni).

For that matter, an old timers' rivalry game against a different school each year would be a lot of fun -- host a team of BU alumni, for example. All to underscore Cornell's tradition of excellence.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2005 10:55PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:
An annual old timers' day would be great. Have a standing invitation for all former lettermen, or perhaps feature an anniversary team each year...[/q]
This summer's alumni game will be played July 15, followed the next day by a golf outing and dinner. The "focus" of this year's game will be the 1980s teams.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2005 10:55PM

Some sports get together at class reunions. Baseball and crew come to mind. Baseball, at least, is odd years against even years.

Hockey has had an alumni reunion game in July with a golf outing.
[elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: May 02, 2005 11:29PM

I'd pay money to play a Cornell squad (say) 5 on 3. It would totally be worth $100 to get my ass kicked by some real hockey players for 20 minutes or so.

Kyle

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 03, 2005 09:06AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:
An annual old timers' day would be great. Have a standing invitation for all former lettermen, or perhaps feature an anniversary team each year...[/Q]
This summer's alumni game will be played July 15, followed the next day by a golf outing and dinner. The "focus" of this year's game will be the 1980s teams.[/q]

Is the alumni game open to the public to watch? If so, is it free or is there an admission fee?

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.vnnyca.adelphia.net)
Date: May 03, 2005 09:14AM

[Q]krose Wrote:

I'd pay money to play a Cornell squad (say) 5 on 3. It would totally be worth $100 to get my ass kicked by some real hockey players for 20 minutes or so.

Kyle[/q]

Yes, but does the hockey team want to take the risk of injury by putting its players on the ice against a team of guys that can't skate (other than Harvard)? What if someone trips over themselves and falls into McKee's ankle?

One of the things I always wanted to accomplish before graduating was to get on the ice with the team, even for the last few minutes of a practice. I even dropped it into The Sun a few times. Never happened, and this was one reason we speculated that it didn't.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2005 10:15AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:
An annual old timers' day would be great. Have a standing invitation for all former lettermen, or perhaps feature an anniversary team each year...[/Q]
This summer's alumni game will be played July 15, followed the next day by a golf outing and dinner. The "focus" of this year's game will be the 1980s teams.[/Q]
Is the alumni game open to the public to watch? If so, is it free or is there an admission fee?[/q]
It's open to the public. I don't recall if there's a fee. If there is, it's very nominal. The game is a pretty loosey-goosey affair, with no one taking it very seriously. Lots of hooking from the bench, etc. IIRC, they play two periods. Varsity players officiate.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 03, 2005 11:44AM

[q]The game is a pretty loosey-goosey affair, with no one taking it very seriously. [/q]I remember reading here that one year Schafer got a third assist on one of his team's goals for blatantly hooking the defender from the bench. Or something outrageous like that. All in good fun.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: May 03, 2005 01:50PM

See:

[elf.elynah.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login