Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Schafer a candidate for Notre Dame vacancy?

Posted by calgARI '07 
Schafer a candidate for Notre Dame vacancy?
Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: April 30, 2005 01:52PM

According to ushr.com, Schafer is one of the four people's names surfaced the most for the position. They say they have heard rumors that he has already been offered the job with $1,000,000 over five years. They say he is at the top of their short list. They list other candidates being Minnesota coach Don Lucia (Notre Dame alum), former Lake Superior State coach Jeff Jackson, and current US U18 team coach Ron Rolston.
You need a membership to the site to see the article and it is pretty expensive so take my word for it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2005 01:54PM by calgARI '07.

Re: Schafer a candidate for Notre Dame vacancy?
Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 03:59PM

Do you have a rough idea of what Cornell pays Schafer now?

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 04:07PM

Mark Mazzolini was making $100K when he left Harvard a year ago. At least, that was the number repeated so often it took on the aura of accuracy. Figure hockey is more important to Cornell but Cornell is a lower cost-of-living area, has a smaller endowment, and maybe the university thinks it can hire alumni for a discount.

There is a huge difference between $100K and $200K even if $100K is already twice what the average famly earns in the U.S. Mike Schafer would be a fool not to listen to Notre Dame's siren song even if he's not interested. It might make Cornell up the ante.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 04:15PM

If he or any other big name coach seriously considers taking the ND job, he should get assurances that ND goes ahead with the supposed desire to build a new arena. The hockey facility is just a fieldhouse and a part of the Joyce Center that they "convert" to a hockey rink for games and is sub standard, especially for Notre Dame.

Saw it last summer and when you imagine how it looks for a game, it's pretty clear that they need a real arena! Building one AND bringing in a top coach would show a committment to the sport.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 06:18PM

Schafer will be considered a top tier candidate for *every* D-1 job from now on. This is one of the many reasons it is important for Cornell to take care of him. Yes, Andy, I'm talking to you.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: April 30, 2005 06:33PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Schafer will be considered a top tier candidate for *every* D-1 job from now on. This is one of the many reasons it is important for Cornell to take care of him. Yes, Andy, I'm talking to you.[/q]

Although it is probably true that he'll be considered a candidate for every job, I doubt he will be offered every position (which some report has happened with Notre Dame). If he makes $100,000 a year at Cornell, it would be pretty damn hard to turn down twice that amount (what he was allegedly offered).

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 30, 2005 06:44PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:

Schafer will be considered a top tier candidate for *every* D-1 job from now on. This is one of the many reasons it is important for Cornell to take care of him. Yes, Andy, I'm talking to you.[/Q]
Although it is probably true that he'll be considered a candidate for every job, I doubt he will be offered every position (which some report has happened with Notre Dame). If he makes $100,000 a year at Cornell, it would be pretty damn hard to turn down twice that amount (what he was allegedly offered).[/q]

But if his ultimate goal is to get to the NHL, wouldn't that be better served by sticking with a traditionally successful program?

I guess it's a balance. He can make 100k more a year, and if he builds the ND program into something great, I suppose he would have the same shot at the NHL.

Posted by: lynahrick (---.lightlink.com)
Date: April 30, 2005 08:54PM

Rumor has it that Schafer has been working w/o a contract for the past year....and isn't very happy about it. Anyone else know anything about this? Why can't they just sign him?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 11:26PM

Because Cornell is in the Ivy League with all the "holier than thou" anti-athletics baggage that position carries.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 01, 2005 02:52AM

Andy should give Schafer whatever the fuck he wants. Period.

Date: May 01, 2005 09:23AM

Maybe Cornell's MVP is not a player.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nrp4.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 01, 2005 12:02PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Maybe Cornell's MVP is not a player. [/q]

I don't think there's any "maybe" about it.

Posted by: mgl11 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2005 02:22PM

[www.southbendtribune.com]

worthwhile, if only for the fact that Shafer is not mentioned in the article.

Date: May 01, 2005 11:33PM

[Q]mgl11 Wrote:worthwhile, if only for the fact that Shafer is not mentioned in the article.[/q]Mike Schafer's not being mentioned could mean either he's not a serious candidate or he definitely is a serious candidate. The local paper's story basically lists anyone who laced on a pair of skates for the Fighting Irish since Joe Montana was an undergrad. Maybe the writer doesn't know Schafer exists and the ND athletic department wants to keep it that way to make it look like they're not too eager.

No question that a perfect fit for Notre Dame would be Ron Luchia currently on assignment to Minnesota. He's an alum and he's got a great coaching record. Plus you know from his resume that he's willing to relocate. He'd be better than Mike convincing the Irish faithful to pony up, what, $25 million for a new rink. (What is it, $5000 a seat these days?)

Date: May 02, 2005 12:10AM

Here's an ace in the hole: Jeff Lehman genuinely cares about Cornell hockey. As with any good executive, he is loathe to undercut an underling, but he certainly could make clear to the Andy Noel the importance of keeping your best and brightest.

Assuming the numbers are accurate and not WAGs, that Notre Dame is offering $200K and the best of the Ivy coaching jobs pay about half that, Cornell wouldn't need to match the offer dollar for dollar, but it would have to make some upward financial gesture (25 percent?). Plus if Schafer's goal is to coach in the NHL - a real goal, not a throwaway he mentioned in an interview - then his next jump should be NHL assistant coach.

All this conjecture is just that and we're reduced to looking for the reasons why a coach would want to stay.

Oh, one other: Maybe Mike and his family genuinely like living in Ithaca and have developed lots of friendships.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: May 02, 2005 11:47AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

Give Schafer whatever the fuck he wants. Period.[/q]

This should be engraved on Eddy Gate.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 02, 2005 11:53AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
No question that a perfect fit for Notre Dame would be Ron Luchia currently on assignment to Minnesota.[/q]I'm guessing you mean Don Lucia?

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: May 02, 2005 01:23PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:No question that a perfect fit for Notre Dame would be Ron Luchia currently on assignment to Minnesota. [/q]A coach leaving the Minnesota hockey program to coach at Notre Dame is about as likely as the coach of the Indiana hoopsters leaving to coach Texas Tech.

Has Lucia done something that we should know about?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 02, 2005 02:03PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

Has Lucia done something that we should know about?[/q]

Winning back-to-back championships not that long ago makes him pretty valuable in my book.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: May 02, 2005 02:13PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

ugarte Wrote:

Has Lucia done something that we should know about?[/Q]
Winning back-to-back championships not that long ago makes him pretty valuable in my book.[/q]

*woosh*

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 02, 2005 02:14PM

I think he means has Lucia done something that would get him run out of the Twin Cities, like a certain Mr. Knight.

Date: May 02, 2005 02:19PM

Ted Knight was run out of the Twin Cities? "Oh, Mr. Grant...!" uhoh

Posted by: MSTR12314 (132.236.75.---)
Date: May 03, 2005 01:43AM

I don't think Schafer will leave. With bonuses this year, I heard that he actually made more than 200K. His base salary was around 150K not 100K. Plus, he has a better program here, and is loved in the community.

Date: May 03, 2005 08:25AM

[Q]ugarte Wrote: A coach leaving the Minnesota hockey program to coach at Notre Dame is about as likely as the coach of the Indiana hoopsters leaving to coach Texas Tech. Has Lucia done something that we should know about?[/q]Graduate from the University of the Golden Dome (1981).

He could always want to leave voluntarily to return to home base, unlike the pugilist from Indiana who finally wore out his welcome. Fascinating case study, Bobby Knight and Indiana: A school with pretty good academics and yet for two decades the administration lived in fear of somebody who for a living draws X's and O's on a whiteboard ... and was also high priest of the official state religion of Indiana. He should have been gone "for the good of the game" when he declared war on Puerto Rico in the 1980s.

Posted by: adamw (---.benslm01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2005 09:08AM

Don Lucia grew up in Minnesota, wanted to play for Minnesota - and has perhaps the greatest recruiting class of all time coming in next year. He's going nowhere.

Absolutely...
Posted by: JT (---.duhs.duke.edu)
Date: May 03, 2005 09:30AM

...not. Mike Schafer will NEVER leave Cornell to go to another school. Coaches very rarely leave their alma mater to coach another school. The only real instances of this are to coach in the pro ranks or if their alma mater is a smaller program with little legitimate chance at being a national power. I can't imagine he would leave a top 5 team with 2 NCAA titles to move to a second rate program. He went to Cornell and believes strongly in its tradition. Plus, hockey is THE sport on campus in Ithaca. At ND, hockey will always be overshadowed by football and basketball. If he ever leaves, it will be to the NHL or AHL.

Don Lucia is a more legitimate possibility. Although, the head coaching job at UMinn may be the premier spot in college hockey and I find it hard to believe he could walk away from that situation. Plus, UMinn would have to be pretty crazy to let him leave.

Re: what about
Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 03, 2005 01:38PM

the challenge of taking that "second rate" program to national prominence? Many respected, top notch coaches relish such a challenge.

And to be extremely well-compensated for it? Something to consider.

I believe a key in any high profile coach's decision will be a major upgrade in the facility at ND.

Date: May 03, 2005 01:51PM

I believe the "challenge" aspect does influence some top coaches. However, I suspect it's more appealing when you've already won it all with a more establshed program. Schafer hasn't won it all yet with Cornell, or even reached the finals, so doing it with a "Second rate" program is probably less appealing.

Now, if Schafer thought it wasn't possible to reach that goal with Cornell because of the institutional limitations and he thought it would be more likely at Notre Dame over the long haul then this argument becomes more reasonable.

The way I see it, there's probably no good reason aside from dolars if Schafer is happy with the support he s getting from the Cornell AD. If he isn't satisfied (and I would have no way to know) then it's a whole different ball... er, hockey game.

I do agree that an upgrade to Notre Dame's facility is a requirement before they will be able to hire anyone of stature.

Date: May 04, 2005 11:41AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:Now, if Schafer thought it wasn't possible to reach that goal with Cornell because of the institutional limitations and he thought it would be more likely at Notre Dame over the long haul then this argument becomes more reasonable.[/q]I don't know if you've been following Notre Dame football lately, but Notre Dame is an academically rigorous school and the new administration has been cutting the sports programs far less slack in admissions than the coaches were accustomed to. I don't think the reins would be much looser for Schafer in South Bend. Just another reason why I don't think that this opportunity would be the one that lures Coach from Ithaca.

If Lucia were to go to ND (ha ha ha) and the Minnesota job opened up, however ...

Date: May 04, 2005 11:48AM

Good point. I don't pay much attention to college football, but I do remember the general recent lack of success of Notre Dame football being in the general background noise of sports info in my head.

Posted by: rstott (128.164.243.---)
Date: May 04, 2005 12:45PM

That Schafer has experience coaching at a very academically rigorous school is surely one of the things that makes him attractive to Notre Dame.

Date: May 04, 2005 12:52PM

[Q]rstott Wrote:

That Schafer has experience coaching at a very academically rigorous school is surely one of the things that makes him attractive to Notre Dame.[/q]No doubt.

Posted by: Coach (---.musiclib2.cornell.edu)
Date: May 04, 2005 03:43PM

I AM NOT LEAVING.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2005 03:45PM

i love the new lincoln hall library ... but it seems it's a bit of a hike from lynah, right coach?;-)

Date: May 04, 2005 04:23PM

[Q]Coach Wrote:

I AM NOT LEAVING.[/q]

Well, now I'm convinced. :-P

Posted by: Coach (132.236.216.---)
Date: May 04, 2005 05:17PM

I was at Lincoln, taking to the band about some new songs we have lined up next year.

Date: May 04, 2005 05:32PM

[q] I was at Lincoln, taking to the band about some new songs we have lined up next year.[/q]Does thie list include the Notre Dame fight song? :-P

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: May 04, 2005 05:39PM

That's already on the playlist. They used it when we played BC in Providence. :-P

Posted by: Coach (---.musiclib2.cornell.edu)
Date: May 04, 2005 09:53PM

Some other great rumours going around:

Mike Eaves is headed to coach Army (They offered him $20 million over 5 years)
Jack Parker is headed to coach Manhattanville of DII (They offered him $6 million over 2 years)
Scotty Bowman is headed to coach RIT (They offered him a position on their board of governors)

BTW, Brent Brekke will be taking over Head Coaching duties from me (I think he deserves it), I will replace Dave as the Zamboni Driver, Dave will replace Louis Chabot as backup goalie, and Chabot will be the new assistant coach (as well as team hair sylist).

Date: May 04, 2005 10:44PM

[Q]Coach Wrote:

BTW, Brent Brekke will be taking over Head Coaching duties from me (I think he deserves it), I will replace Dave as the Zamboni Driver, Dave will replace Louis Chabot as backup goalie, and Chabot will be the new assistant coach (as well as team hair sylist).
[/q]

Ah, the circle is complete. I feel as if I should be hearing an Elton John song in the background right now.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2005 11:13PM

no ... that's just the choir in the room next to you.;-)

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: May 05, 2005 07:49PM

A poster on USCHO says that he heard from a reliable source that Schafer is NOT going to Notre Dame

I hope this guy is right!

[board.uscho.com]

Also this was recently added to INCH...
[insidecollegehockey.com]
Lucia says he thinks Jeff Jackson will get the job
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2005 08:07PM by redhair34.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: May 06, 2005 03:53AM

USHR, a pay site, is reporting that Jeff Jackson will be announced today (Friday) as Notre Dame's new coach.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: May 06, 2005 10:59AM

Looks like it's official, Jeff Jackson to ND

[www.uscho.com]

Date: May 06, 2005 11:47AM

Decreasing by1 the short list that inevitably comes up with *every* vacancy.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 06, 2005 04:02PM

[sports.yahoo.com]

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: May 06, 2005 05:26PM

I'm sure they'll do great with a coach who says he's sick of the college game.

Date: May 06, 2005 05:38PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote: According to ushr.com, Schafer is one of the four people's names surfaced the most for the position. They say they have heard rumors that he has already been offered the job with $1,000,000 over five years. ...[/q]FWIW, the Michigan Daily posted university salaries (public documents since it's taxpayer money) and Red Berenson and Tommy Amaker (basketball coach) were both at $162K. Interestingly the women's hoops coach was only $4K behind. The football coach was a bit over $300K. The two assistant hockey coaches were in the $55K-$70K range which could be a lot worse for assistants. I don't begrudge any of them their salaries, certainly not when Michigan has a VP for governmental affairs knocking down $210K.

So if it's correct that the premier college hockey coaching position in terms of salary is ND (North Dakota and now maybe Notre Dame) at $200K, there are veteran coaches who aren't far behind. Once taxes chew you up, $160K gets a lot closer to $200K.

[www.michigandaily.com]

Posted by: finchphil (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 06, 2005 05:51PM

Well, Schafer isn't going to South Bend. But it's time for our AD to step up and get a deal done to keep Mike here for at least the next few years.

Is anyone in Athletic Administration listening??? Get it done!

Date: May 06, 2005 06:02PM

[Q]finchphil Wrote: Well, Schafer isn't going to South Bend. But it's time for our AD to step up and get a deal done to keep Mike here for at least the next few years. Is anyone in Athletic Administration listening??? Get it done![/q]We'd all love to see Mike Schafer compensated so handsomely he stays here as long as he keeps winning and winning (and would that if his winning percentage falls off and a new coach steps in, he might be as decent and loyal in exile as Richie Moran has been). At the same time, academics gossip like peasants around the village well in some small town in Europe, so if Mike's salary gets a huge bump, there'll be a long line outside Andy Noel's door from all the other coaches. If Mike is making 100X now and he deserves to be making 130X units of money (where X isn't necessarily $1; maybe it's Canadian dollars, maybe it's Euros) but if he gets 115X he's not going anywhere, then maybe 115X is what he should be getting and the two assistants get an extra 7.5X each whee it would really do some good. I think at some schools the assistants are so close to starvation wages that it's not just the desire for a head coaching job that makes them want to move on, it's the desire to be driving a car that's not 11 years old.

Posted by: Playa (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2005 06:02PM

You guys are so uninformed ... don't speculate about Coach's salary. If you wanna, know, I is making a lot more than any other ivy or ecac coach and wish the bonuses he recieved this year ...... let's just say he's doing alright.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 06, 2005 09:10PM

Yes, we're uninformed because unlike at a state school salaries aren't public knowledge. But speculation about it is totally appropriate to fans concerned about the future of our program.

Date: May 09, 2005 11:27AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
if Mike's salary gets a huge bump, there'll be a long line outside Andy Noel's door from all the other coaches.[/q]
And Noel should say, "Go do for your sport what Mike has done for Cornell hockey and we'll have a basis for discussion." The line would then be reduced to the women's polo coach.

It's supply and demand: when the Cornell football coach starts getting mentioned on the short list for the Nebraska job, he'll have an argument for a big raise. Until then, just win. It will take care of itself.

Mike wins while maintaining standards of academics and conduct that we can all be proud of. Given the influence of big money and small SATs on college sports, that's a miracle, and is deserving of a huge monetary thank you.

Re: Absolutely...
Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: May 16, 2005 05:30PM

[Q]JT Wrote:
Coaches very rarely leave their alma mater to coach another school. The only real instances of this are to coach in the pro ranks or if their alma mater is a smaller program with little legitimate chance at being a national power.[/q]

I was bored today at work so I looked into this. The only counter example that I could find is Rick Comley - he left LSSU (his alma mater) after inheriting the job from Ron Mason (who went to Bowling Green). He left a somewhat established LSSU program to build up NMU's program from scratch (first coach) and won a national championship there years later. Then he left NMU after 26 years to go to MSU which generally is more competitive than NMU. Probably 15-20 examples of what you're saying being absolutely correct. Interesting topic.

Back to the topic, I think it's going to be hard to turn around Notre Dame. Small school population, rigorous academic requirements, many other midwestern schools with established programs + great facilities (Michigan, North Dakota, MN, CC, Denver, MSU, Wisconsin, etc.). Some have strong academic programs as well (Michigan, Wisconsin, CC). Good luck to Jeff Jackson, I will be impressed if that program is turned around within 5 years (and there's no subsequent violations uncovered!!).

Ithaca is fantastic so Schaefer won't go (hoping, praying....).

Date: May 16, 2005 08:18PM

Just a little context: Comley coached the Lakers from 1973-76 (3 seasons). They played in a fledgling CCHA conference which boasted all of 3 teams in his first season at the helm (the other being Bowling Green and the now defunct St. Louis program), rising to a grand five with the additions of Ohio State and Western Michigan in the 1975 season. Comley's NMU team joined the CCHA for the 1977 season. So basically Comley jumped ship from his Alma Mater, a five year DI team, to start up a new program. Back in the 70's the LSSU job was no great prize. Head coach at Cornell is a much higher profile position.

[q]many other midwestern schools with established programs + great facilities (Michigan, North Dakota, MN, CC, Denver, MSU, Wisconsin, etc.)[/q]This is definitely the first time I've ever heard Denver or Colorado Springs called a "midwestern" city. :-P

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 17, 2005 08:53AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:
This is definitely the first time I've ever heard Denver or Colorado Springs called a "midwestern" city. [/q]

You of all people should know that Colorado is midwest, ya left coaster!

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.oracorp.com)
Date: May 17, 2005 11:38AM

[Q]RatushnyFan Wrote:
JT Wrote:
Coaches very rarely leave their alma mater to coach another school. The only real instances of this are to coach in the pro ranks or if their alma mater is a smaller program with little legitimate chance at being a national power.[/Q]
I was bored today at work so I looked into this. The only counter example that I could find is Rick Comley[/q]

This jogged my memory a bit, and I think there might be a counter-example in Cornell's own past -- Dick Bertrand, who took over after the undefeated 69-70 season and coached the Big Red until 1982. Bertrand resigned following the 1981-82 season, then took the head coaching job at Ferris State before the 82-83 season. Bertrand's resignation may have been of the "strongly encouraged" variety, and Cornell was certainly not a national power when he left (though they were two years removed from an ECAC championship/NCAA berth, the program had declined quite a bit from the Ned Harkness heyday). Ferris State was only in its second or third year as a CCHA member when Bertrand took over, and he was there almost four years.

Date: May 17, 2005 03:48PM

[Q]Robb Wrote:
You of all people should know that Colorado is midwest, ya left coaster![/q]

In Oregon I had friends who with no sense of irony referred to Utah as "back East."

Date: May 17, 2005 05:27PM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

KeithK Wrote:
This is definitely the first time I've ever heard Denver or Colorado Springs called a "midwestern" city. [/Q]
You of all people should know that Colorado is midwest, ya left coaster!

[/q]You do know that I consider that a serious insult, right? :-P

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: May 17, 2005 05:28PM

Bertrand's resignation was very likely of the "strongly encouraged" variety. According to some friends of mine who were close to the team at the time, there was significant discontent with him from the team members. One person actually told me the sentiment on the team was "Dick Bertrand...before he dicks you."

Also, while they were only a year or two away from the ECAC championship, that championship team had a 0.500 record, was the #8 seed in the tourney, and rode a hot goalie (Darren Eliot) to upsets of the top 3 seeds (BU, Providence and Dartmouth).

I don't think anyone close to the team was upset with his leaving. Some suggested he had to take a job at a nowhere, no-name school like Ferris, because nothing else was available to him (but that's just a rumor).

Date: May 17, 2005 08:32PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote: Bertrand's resignation was very likely of the "strongly encouraged" variety. According to some friends of mine who were close to the team at the time, there was significant discontent with him from the team members. One person actually told me the sentiment on the team was "Dick Bertrand...before he dicks you." Also, while they were only a year or two away from the ECAC championship, that championship team had a 0.500 record, was the #8 seed in the tourney, and rode a hot goalie (Darren Eliot) to upsets of the top 3 seeds (BU, Providence and Dartmouth).
I don't think anyone close to the team was upset with his leaving. Some suggested he had to take a job at a nowhere, no-name school like Ferris, because nothing else was available to him (but that's just a rumor).[/q]Whatever chemistry made Bertrand a great father figure as a over-age team captain (as a senior he was 29 years old, having already been a Toronto police officer before Cornell) did not translate into a youthful coach who could relate to his players. Had he beaten Wisconsin in his second or third year (up 5-2 a minute into the last period of the NCAA semis) it might have been a different story. But it didn't happen and there was grousing as early as 1972 or 1973. The class of 1974 (the one Ned started to recruit) was not strong, and it went downhill from there. The Bertrand experience may be Exhibit A why you want a young, bright coach but one who's been an assistant for a bunch of years. Bertrand could have done that at Cornell 1970-75 under Ned (had Harkness stayed) and then he could have stepped into some head coaching job and had a brilliant career. Sad downward spiral for a guy who was quite personable so long as you weren't playing under him.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 08:49PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Bertrand could have done that at Cornell 1970-75 under Ned (had Harkness stayed) and then he could have stepped into some head coaching job and had a brilliant career. [/q]
Assistant coaches--at least paid ones--were like hen's teeth back then. Cornell didn't hire its first until Jay Riley in 1976.

Date: May 18, 2005 08:38AM

Al, I'm recalling people such as Mike Waldvogel in lacrosse in the mid and perhaps early 1970s. And of course there were always football assistants but that's different. (Basketball coaches, too.) But now that you mention it, I don't recall Cornell assistant hockey coaches in the early 1970s. So despite that I'm wrong on the facts (that Bertrand could have been a Cornell assistant for a couple years before edging into the top job), I still believe that Dick Bertrand's career might have been a more successful one - for him, for Cornell, for players - if he hadn't been catapulted into the coach's position directly from his senior year of college.

And Ned's career might have been different in the pros - it couldn't have turned out much worse - if he hadn't ascended into the top job at Detroit right from Cornell. But do you see him being willing to be the No. 2 or No. 3 for a pro team for at least 3 years? Why, heck, he would have stayed at Cornell. But what are the odds his salary at Cornell then, even with an inflation escalator applied, would fall into the equivalent of $100,000 - $200,000 in year 2005 dollars?

Date: May 18, 2005 09:00AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

So despite that I'm wrong on the facts (that Bertrand could have been a Cornell assistant for a couple years before edging into the top job), I still believe that Dick Bertrand's career might have been a more successful one - for him, for Cornell, for players - if he hadn't been catapulted into the coach's position directly from his senior year of college. [/q]
Didn't intend to say you were "wrong," Bill. I think you're absolutely right about Bertrand benefiting from some seasoning. I was just making the point that something we take for granted now (assistant coaches) is a relatively recent phenomenon ("recent" by my standard, at least ;-) )

[Q]But what are the odds his salary at Cornell then, even with an inflation escalator applied, would fall into the equivalent of $100,000 - $200,000 in year 2005 dollars? [/q]
I don't know what Ned was paid at Cornell but suspect by today's standards it wasn't much. Don't think there were summer hockey schools back then, but I don't know that for a fact.

I suspect what he was paid at Detroit was nothing compared with today's NHL coaches, either. Gordie Howe made something like $25,000 back in that era--along with a couple of Red Wings jackets. Seems to me only when another player (Bobby Baun?) convinced Howe to stand up to the Wings owner did the NHL players get some leverage to upshift the salary scale.

Date: May 18, 2005 10:57AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:
Seems to me only when another player (Bobby Baun?) convinced Howe to stand up to the Wings owner did the NHL players get some leverage to upshift the salary scale.[/q]

Ted Lindsey: [www.detnews.com]

Date: May 18, 2005 11:10AM

Re coaching salaries back in Harkness' era, didn't Harkness get a huge increase (percentage) to come to Cornell from RPI ... and it was still not very much. One wonders if that was the lingering effect of sports being seen as the pasttime of the already comfortable (Ivy League WASPs in the F. Scott Fitzgerald mold) and by not paying well, it ever so slightly kept sports that way.

Regarding player salaries in general, was it Dick Allen who was quoted in SI as saying, "We got screwed by the owners for 100 years. Now the shoe's on the other foot and the owners have 97 years to go." That said, it would have been fitting and incredibly noble had the players in *every* sport, as they ratcheted up their salaries, made sure that some amount of the new and improved largesse, say 10%, was distributed into medical and pension funds for retired players. That would have had incredible PR value.

Date: May 18, 2005 11:41AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

That said, it would have been fitting and incredibly noble had the players in *every* sport, as they ratcheted up their salaries, made sure that some amount of the new and improved largesse, say 10%, was distributed into medical and pension funds for retired players. That would have had incredible PR value. [/q]
Right. I recently watched a TV blurb (ESPN?) about George Mikan, an NBA superstar when I was a kid (and, yes, there was even TV then ;-) ), showing a very weak Mikan on regular dialysis while receiving a pittance for a pension. They interviewed a representative of the players association who said something about there being some legal reason why the "old-timers" pensions couldn't be increased. bang

Posted by: Beeeej (---.rapiddevelopers.com)
Date: May 18, 2005 11:44AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:
Right. I recently watched a TV blurb (ESPN?) about George Mikan, an NBA superstar when I was a kid (and, yes, there was even TV then ), showing a very weak Mikan on regular dialysis while receiving a pittance for a pension. They interviewed a representative of the players association who said something about there being some legal reason why the "old-timers" pensions couldn't be increased.[/q]

There's no legal reason I can think of why individual players can't pay individual old-timers' medical bills, though - or collectively start a foundation for paying individual old-timers' medical bills.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: May 18, 2005 11:47AM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:
There's no legal reason I can think of why individual players can't pay individual old-timers' medical bills, though - or collectively start a foundation for paying individual old-timers' medical bills.

Beeeej[/q]
Couldn't agree more, Beeeej. Where there's a will there's a way. Even if it takes a good lawyer to make it happen. help

Date: May 18, 2005 11:59AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Al DeFlorio Wrote:
Seems to me only when another player (Bobby Baun?) convinced Howe to stand up to the Wings owner did the NHL players get some leverage to upshift the salary scale.[/Q]
Ted Lindsey:
[/q]
Well, Lindsay did lead the charge against the owners, but that wasn't what I was referring to.

This subject was a major theme on one of those biography things they show on ESPN Classic about Gordie Howe. Seems to me it was someone who was traded to the Wings (Baun came over from the Leafs, I think) who approached Howe--perhaps, because he hadn't played with Howe, he felt more comfortable approaching him and speaking out--and basically told Howe he was getting ripped off by Wings ownership, was being held up by owners as an example of why the others shouldn't be paid more [Look, the great Gordie Howe--Mr. Hockey--only makes so much. How could we possible pay you more than that?], and, as a result, all the players in the league were getting screwed. Not until Howe joined the crusade were the players successful--or so the TV biography said.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.rapiddevelopers.com)
Date: May 18, 2005 11:59AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:
Beeeej Wrote:
There's no legal reason I can think of why individual players can't pay individual old-timers' medical bills, though - or collectively start a foundation for paying individual old-timers' medical bills.[/Q]
Couldn't agree more, Beeeej. Where there's a will there's a way. Even if it takes a good lawyer to make it happen.[/q]

Give me a few months to pass the Bar, then give them my number. B-]

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: May 18, 2005 12:56PM

I saw that, too. Apparently players who ended their careers pre-1965 were not technically employed by the league and therefore do not legally qualify for the benefits that players since then are able to get (or something like that). Of course, with the large amount of money players are making now and the relatively small amount of players left from the pre-1965 era, I don't think it would be to difficult for the league and current players' association to step up and take care of those who created the league in the first place, whether they need to legally or not. The TV clip made it sound like the current league and association just keep dragging their feet since it won't be too long until this whole thing becomes a moot point.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login