Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

OT: The Yankees

Posted by Dpperk29 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Most exciting play in baseball?
Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: April 21, 2005 02:09PM

[Q]Tom Lento Wrote:

If Piazza or Posada is the guy behind the plate, and it's a swing and a miss, then things get *really* interesting. [/q]

For very differnet reasons, however. Although Piazza is unlikely to throw through in this situation, if he does, things become interesting as we see if the ball will get to the 2nd base on a fly, or on 1 or 2 hops. Or it could hit the pitcher's mound. Or it could end up in centerfield.

With Posada, the entertainment is in waiting to see if he'll actually catch the ball or not. He seems to have issues with that essential element of being a catcher.

Re: OT: The Yankees
Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: April 21, 2005 04:36PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:I am just bemoaning in a general sense that as knowledge of this fact becomes pervasive in baseball patience has become more and more emphasized at the plate. This has meant more walks, deeper counts and slower games. This is not a in an overall sense positive for baseball. It plays into the argument that baseball is slow and boring (which it most certainly is not if you know what you're seeing). A particular pitcher/batter battle can be extrememly exciting and enjoyable but in the aggregate average I think it might be a better spectator sport if batters put the ball in play one pitch earlier.[/q]I'm not worried about the financial health of MLB. To remove the ambiguity, I do not believe that baseball is in financial trouble AND I don't care about changing the sport so that it appeals to the most people. We all understand you, Keith, we just think that walks - and the increased offense that is the ultimate reward of better pitch selection - are aesthetically pleasing and we don't care about entertaining the non-fans with more popups and weak grounders. Hell, you know this and probably even agree with it. What is good for the owners is not necessarily good for baseball.

[q]Just a case where what works best isn't ideal from an aesthetic sense. I ask, what's more fun to watch as a neutral observer (that is, you don't care which team wins): a team scores one run in an inning off of a single followed by a a two out double or one run off of four walks?[/q]False choice. Two walks and a gapper off a meatball from a frustrated pitcher is plenty exciting. Especially if there is a play at the plate on the trailing runner.

[q]Enough.[/q]We'll let you know when it is enough.

Date: April 21, 2005 04:40PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:Personally I find (over the wall) home runs one of the less exciting plays in the game. Watching a guy trot is much less interesting than watching a guy run and try to beat a throw.[/q]Watching the trot is boring, but you are missing the fun of gasping when the ball explodes off the bat and disappears into the night on the real monster shots and the will it/won't it tension of the ones that are in the neighborhood of the fence.

For my money, I'll take a bases loaded strikeout late in a one-run game. I got used to those when Wetteland was pitching in NY and they never lost their thrill (and I never stopped getting exasperated at the three walks that set up the drama).

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 21, 2005 06:36PM

OK, we'll agree to disagree on the aesthetics. To me, a player who works the count, fights off pitches and eventually takes a walk is pleasing. Watching a hitter walk on five pitches (four plus the somewhat automatic 3-0 strike) because the pithcer is nibbling isn't. This is purely opinion though.

No, I'm not really worried about the health of MLB or the owners finances. I'm not even terribly worried about whether the casual fan likes it. Heck I'd rather have some of the casual fans stay home so ticket prices might drop... er, not rise as fast. Just an aesthetic thing really.

[q]We'll let you know when it is enough.[/q]Please do.

Date: April 21, 2005 06:39PM

[q]Watching the trot is boring, but you are missing the fun of gasping when the ball explodes off the bat and disappears into the night on the real monster shots and the will it/won't it tension of the ones that are in the neighborhood of the fence. [/q]OK, I'm exaggerating in reaction to the over-hyped nature of the home run. Personally I think they'd be more exciting if they were a bit more rare.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 21, 2005 06:55PM

nut

Date: April 21, 2005 07:19PM

Hey, we're keeping our little off-season baseball discussion in a single thread clearly labeled off-topic. If we want to obsess about this issue and argue the fine details of baseball aesthetics and excitement ad nauseum why shouldn't? Well, as long as Age doesn't mind the waste of bandwidth, anyway.

(Didn't I say "enough" already? Why am I still posting? Oh, that's right. I'm at work...)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: April 21, 2005 09:05PM

[Q]Tom Lento Wrote:

Runners at the corners with the tying run on third late in the game.
[/q]

one out?

@jtwcornell91@hostux.social

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: April 21, 2005 11:32PM

And it's certainly better than the Yanks-Sox pissing match that was going on a few posts back.

@jtwcornell91@hostux.social

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2005 11:39PM

what's wrong with pissing on the yankees?

before everyone jumps all over me... it was a joke... laugh... or don't laugh... just realize it was a joke

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 22, 2005 12:09AM

I saw a decal on a car today showing a gnome-like Yankee figure pissing on the Red Sox "B" with the caption, of course..."Red Sox suck".

Like we didn't know that already. :-}

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2005 01:19AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Tom Lento Wrote:

Runners at the corners with the tying run on third late in the game.
[/Q]
one out?[/q]

Of course. Sorry, should have specified.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: April 22, 2005 02:50AM

....................Record......ERA.......Runs.....Runs Allowed
Boston...........10-6.......3.59........87............62
New York........7-9.........5.05.......89............96

If Boston sucks then I hate to think of where that puts the Yankees with these numbers and Boston's back-to-back shutouts against a team with a stacked line-up that was hitting .295 and which just swept the forementioned Yankees. I am expecting the trite remarks about seeing where we are in September, but I think these numbers are glaring enough to provoke some thought. After the results of the last two years I will happily see where both teams are in September and I have 2 tickets to Fenway for the last game on Oct. 2 to enjoy it first-hand.
Considering the Ford-Chevy-Dodge versions of these stickers have been around for years that is not very original.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2005 02:57AM by cth95.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: April 22, 2005 09:11AM

[Q]French Rage Wrote:
Frederick Keys?[/q]

None other.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 22, 2005 10:45AM

Geez, cth, did you have to take it so literally. I hate the Yanks, but it's a freakin' bumper sticker. I'm sure the bumper sticker doesn't update itself based on current stats :-P

That said, yup, they sell them both ways. Seen them at a shop in Cooperstown, with the two reversed versions hanging right next to each other. Same with just about all other Yanks/Sox rivalry merchandise.

Anyway, this may be the first time in the history of humanity that anyone has or will utter this phrase, but... "Can we move back to the discussion of the Infield Fly rule?" nut nut nut

Date: April 22, 2005 12:12PM

[q]If Boston sucks then I hate to think of where that puts the Yankees with these numbers[/q]I would gladly say the Red Sox suck if they were ten time defending wolrd champions and were unbeaten heading into September and my Yankees hadn't yet won a game. The numbers really don't have anything to do with it.

Date: April 22, 2005 12:40PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Geez, cth, did you have to take it so literally. I hate the Yanks, but it's a freakin' bumper sticker. I'm sure the bumper sticker doesn't update itself based on current stats [/q]Plus, I think what RichS was saying was "If the picture is a guy pissing on the B, does adding Red Sox suck tell us anything we didn't know about the sticker man's opinion of the Sox?"

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2005 01:48PM

[Q]cth95 Wrote:
If Boston sucks then I hate to think of where that puts the Yankees with these numbers [/q]

Wow. In the past 10 years, how many times did I hear "Yankees suck?" About eleventy billion times, even though they were winning lots (and lots) of stuff. One "Boston Sucks" and we get this defensive reply, complete with a standings breakdown after 3 weeks of the season. It's a rivalry. It's supposed to be fun. Saying "Boston Sucks" or "Yankees Suck" is akin to Lynah Faithful dropping a "Safety School" on Harvard. If people hate your team, it must mean they're doing something right....even if they are the Red Sux. cth95: Get over yourself, respect the rivalry, and get used to the criticism that comes with being one of the top dogs.
[sports.espn.go.com]

Dammit. I can't believe that's what made me break my oath to not post to this idiotic portion of this thread. Now I'm going to have to take another shower after posting here.

Date: April 22, 2005 05:25PM

Don't worry, every one can lighten up. I am just having fun doing a little trash talking and the Yankees numbers are so bad right now I had to post them. I am pretty sure they won't stay that way for long.
On a side note, I have always thought that the "(insert big rival here) sucks" cheers are stale and often used at dumb times like when the favored team is tied or losing. In Albany this year I was sitting next to some neutral fans from the region who got a big kick out of some of our creative cheers, but I could tell they thought the number of Vermont and Harvard sucks cheers was a little excessive (as did I ). Our fans definitely have the ability to be a little more creative. For example, the "our team's sleeping" cheer late in the 2nd OT was awesome. Again, the "sucks" cheers are ok and have their place, but they definitely have become overused.

Date: April 22, 2005 05:28PM

Sorry guys, didn't mean to be so literal. I was just having some fun before things begin to even out. I would like to see some newer, creative slogans, however. Any ideas?

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2005 09:47PM

[Q]cth95 Wrote:
they thought the number of Vermont and Harvard sucks cheers was a little excessive (as did I) [/q]

We counted. I think there were 32 "Harvard...SUCKS" cheers in the Cornell/Harvard game at Albany, possibly more. Definitely got boring even for the Cornell crowd - as the game went on, the response got more and more lackluster. On the other hand, "Minnesota...SUCKS" was barely used (maybe it was just in comparison?) in Minneapolis.

[/hockey talk for the OT thread]

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 23, 2005 06:03PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Geez, cth, did you have to take it so literally. I hate the Yanks, but it's a freakin' bumper sticker. I'm sure the bumper sticker doesn't update itself based on current stats [/Q]
Plus, I think what RichS was saying was "If the picture is a guy pissing on the B, does adding Red Sox suck tell us anything we didn't know about the sticker man's opinion of the Sox?"[/q]

Exactly so. I chuckled at the cartoon as I described it then wondered why bother adding the "sucks" wording. Kinda detracted from the impact of the picture.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login