Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Slope Day - tix for alumni

Posted by RatushnyFan 
Slope Day - tix for alumni
Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 04:45PM

Sorry for the non-hockey thread .........

A buddy and I are headed back to Ithaca for some relaxation (read: drinking) slope day weekend. Apparently they're a bit more uptight than they used to be in our day when you just showed up with your case of beer. In any event, students need to buy tix in advance for "friends". We graduated, oh just a few years ago........in 1992, so I don't still have friends on campus.

Anyone willing to sponsor us, for a nominal fee of course? To exclude two generous alumni would be a shame.

Eric

Re: Slope Day - tix for alumni
Posted by: Beeeej (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: April 07, 2005 04:49PM

You need tickets to go to Springfe^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Slope Day now?!

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 07, 2005 05:00PM

No, Students can get in with just their ID's, but guests need a student to buy them a guest ticket for $25, and each student is only allowed to buy 2.

Date: April 07, 2005 05:02PM

Even the fact that they now check IDs astonishes me. :-O

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 05:05PM

I only need 2 tix guys ......... I'm sensing that a deal can be struck.

Us: Lots of beer (for those 21 and older of course), no access to Slope Day
Students: Access to Slope Day, need beer
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2005 05:06PM by RatushnyFan.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 05:06PM

Yeah, Slope Day kinda sucks now in comparison to what it once was. I believe 2001 was the last really good Slope Day (combination of administrative circumstances and good weather).

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: April 07, 2005 05:14PM

OOC (as I'm in CA and wont be there...), do they run the IDs through anything, or would recent alumni be able to get in if they still have their IDs?

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 05:15PM

This faq says that you should email the organizers: [www.slopeday.cornell.edu]

Date: April 07, 2005 05:17PM

Oh, and the history sections gives us:

1984 - 2000
In the face of these legal changes and the public sentiment that precipitated it, it was no longer feasible for the university to allow the event. Slope Day, as it came to be called, became an informal gathering of students on university property. During that time, the focus of Slope Day shifted from food, music and celebration to widespread and uncontrolled alcohol consumption.

I'm very glad that my time at school is known for its "widespread and uncontrolled alcohol comsumption."

Posted by: wasxmonkey92 (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 05:39PM

I am an alumni as well and I think it is crazy that alumni can't attend without a sponser...sure let us pay...but c'mon we are all part of the extended Cornell community. I won't be making slope day this year...but I sure hope someone helps out RatushnyFan.

Date: April 07, 2005 05:45PM

I assume (I haven't read the webpage) that alumni have to be sponsored because the university's insurance wouldn't cover them.

And you're "an alumnus." Alumni is plural. Sheesh!! nut

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 05:45PM

[q]I am an alumni as well and I think it is crazy that alumni can't attend without a sponser.[/q]They don't want the students to be there (liability) - why would they encourage alums to come?

Date: April 07, 2005 05:46PM

[q]And you're "an alumnus." Alumni is plural. Sheesh!![/q]Or an alumna....

(Though since I don't know, alumnus is right.)

Posted by: MattShaf (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 05:47PM

I still have my '93 "Don't be a Dope on the Slope T-Shirt...Slope Day '93. Keep it Safe. Keep it Fun. Stay in Control". One of the first attempts at sober monitoring. Unfortunately, I was quite drunk while performing that duty. yark

Fight the power. Have a great slope day! nut

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: April 07, 2005 05:53PM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:
During that time, the focus of Slope Day shifted from food, music and celebration to widespread and uncontrolled alcohol consumption.[/q]Well, yeah, but... it was FUN that way. screwy

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 05:54PM

[Q]MattShaf Wrote:

I still have my '93 "Don't be a Dope on the Slope T-Shirt...Slope Day '93. Keep it Safe. Keep it Fun. Stay in Control". One of the first attempts at sober monitoring. Unfortunately, I was quite drunk while performing that duty.

[/q]

Please please please tell me you have a picture of yourself in that shirt lying passed out on top of a pile of beer cans on the slope...;-)

Posted by: gobigred24 (---.chrstn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 05:55PM

So as an Alumnus planning on returning, this concerned me. While they will be checking ID's, its is ~98% likely they will not swipe them, meaning as long as you don't look to old they should work.

RatushnyFan, email me and I will put you in touch with someone who can help you out.

mbcohen@mail.med.upenn.edu

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 08:37PM

just curious...what are they charging you for? is it for the blow up slides and what not? interesting...

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.housing.hawaii.edu)
Date: April 07, 2005 09:00PM

My guess is that is to cover the cost of the concerts, since beer is something you must also pay an arm and a leg for :-(

Alas, I have only seen pictures and heard stories of these alleged "fun" slope days. But they have accomplished their goal and gotten rid of binge drinking on the slope, it's just moved to collegetown and the dorms rolleyes

Posted by: jaybert (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 09:35PM

beer/wine are actually really cheap at slope day. its $1/cup for either if its like last year

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.housing.hawaii.edu)
Date: April 07, 2005 09:40PM

Drinks are indeed $1 - I could have sworn it was priced more like a ballpark, but no argument here

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 10:02PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Yeah, Slope Day kinda sucks now in comparison to what it once was. I believe 2001 was the last really good Slope Day (combination of administrative circumstances and good weather).[/q]
Yeah, 2001 was the last real good slope day. 2002 had ugly weather, and 2003 is when they ruined it (and had ugly weather as well), if I remember correctly.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 12:00AM

The money may go toward paying for concerts. But I suspect it's also meant to keep some people away. Charge admission and some people won't want to come.

Posted by: JordanCS (---.bunt.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 01:00AM

Glad I was there under the wire....having graduated in 2001, I never got to see this horrible incarnation. Of course, my first slope day was the first that they wired off the top of the hill and I think they started banning glass either that year or the next.

Posted by: Pace (209.2.88.---)
Date: April 08, 2005 01:15AM

I never made it to my freshman Slope Day. I was way too drunk and barely conscious, having consumed the better part of a bottle of Grey Goose and gone to not one, but two minority parties the night before.

Re: Springfest for OLD GUYS
Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 02:15AM

I recall my "Slope Day" as "Springfest," which tells you what decade I came from nut

My freshman year (1984): The Ramones in Barton Hall (bad weather)
My sophomore year (1985): Lousy weather, and I don't recall if there was a band
My junior year (1986): I think this was the year when Day Hall unilaterally relocated "Springfest" to North Campus (Helen Newman field). Weather was not great, and I think we all went to get the free food and brought it back to the Libe Slope. Kind of an unofficial beginning of the "uncontrolled era."
My senior year (1987): Glorious weather. Robert Cray (who?) played the blues in front of the War Memorial. The following week he was on the cover of the Rolling Stone magazine.

Ah, those were the days...B-]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2005 01:53PM by CU at Stanford.

Date: April 08, 2005 09:42AM

Thanks to Scersk and gobigred24 for responding to the question at hand with helpful information.

And thanks to Beeeej for hanging around on the fringes, pulling out the Strunk & White/Elements of Style crap. I'm sure that wasxmonkey could use a guy with your skills in his high profile buy-side asset management job. While he's making millions, he could probably throw a few scraps your way to make sure that his grammar and spelling are TOP NOTCH!! Keep up the good work. nut
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2005 11:40AM by RatushnyFan.

Re: Springfest for OLD GUYS
Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: April 08, 2005 09:44AM

[Q]CU at Stanford Wrote:

I recall my "Slope Day" as "Springfest," which tells you what decade I came from

My freshman year (1984): The Ramons in Barton Hall (bad weather)
My sophomore year (1985): Lousy weather, and I don't recall if there was a band
My junior year (1986): I think this was the year when Day Hall unilaterally relocated "Springfest" to North Campus (Helen Newman field). Weather was not great, and I think we all went to get the free food and brought it back to the Libe Slope. Kind of an unofficial beginning of the "uncontrolled era."
My senior year (1987): Glorious weather. Robert Cray (who?) played the blues in front of the War Memorial. The following week he was on the cover of the Rolling Stone magazine.

Ah, those were the days... [/q]

And in '86, they had the Del Fuegos playing on North (led by Dan Zanes, who, in one of those circle-of-life things for me, is now an incredibly popular children's "rock-n-roll" singer in my area).

For those who don't know, the name "Slope Day" is derived from the grass-roots movement, "Take Back the Slope Day".

Posted by: aznxjz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 11:52AM

Snoop Dogg is the featured act on Slope Day. Not sure if you old timer Alumni would enjoy that type of music..
snooooooooooooooop :)

Date: April 08, 2005 02:32PM

Hey, I watch Snoop Dogg's show on MTV. I'm down with the shizzle. That time he rolled up the catnip and smoked it and blew it in the cats faces at the pet store was classic.

Date: April 08, 2005 03:54PM

[Q]RatushnyFan Wrote:
Thanks to Scersk and gobigred24 for responding to the question at hand with helpful information.
[/q]
So, since I'm kind of interested for future reference, what's the word on alums?

Date: April 08, 2005 04:00PM

No response yet from the email address in the FAQ. I'm trying to get set up with a current student as an alternative. I'll keep you posted.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 05:47PM

"Music"? I thought you said it was Snoop Dogg. nut

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 08, 2005 05:57PM

Theres been a lot of trouble with local HS kids trying to go to slope day (i know because i used to be one of them) especially Ithaca HS because its only about .5 miles away.

Date: April 13, 2005 10:03PM

300 tix "reserved" for alumni .......... you have to go to the Alumni House at 8 am on Slope Day to purchase them. They cross check your I.D. with the alumni database.

Angry Letter
Posted by: nyiballs (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 10:31PM

I wrote an angry yet constructive letter to the Slope Day Planning board this year. Basically I told them that charging alum to come back to the campus was flat out insulting and offered some constructive alternatives for next year... we'll see what happens.

Re: Angry Letter
Date: April 14, 2005 10:50AM

Excellent idea. Making it difficult for recent alums to come back and remember how much we loved East Hill is a great way to get us to start donating $$$

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: April 14, 2005 01:07PM

[Q]gobigred24 Wrote:

Excellent idea. Making it difficult for recent alums to come back and remember how much we loved East Hill is a great way to get us to start donating $$$[/q]

What? The university should make it easy for alums to come back for the sole purpose of drinking way too much alcohol and supplying it to underage students? rolleyes

If you want to come back to remember the good times on East Hill, the university has plenty of other events that you could attend, for free.

Posted by: gobigred24 (---.lib.upenn.edu)
Date: April 14, 2005 06:20PM

I didn't say the administration should make it easy. It just shouldn't make it more difficult. And I do attend those other events as well. But for recent grads (I finished up last May) with many friends still in Ithaca, Slope Day is a nice occassion to come back to. Plus, I mean, its Snoop!

Date: April 14, 2005 06:52PM

[Q]gobigred24 Wrote:

I didn't say the administration should make it easy. It just shouldn't make it more difficult. And I do attend those other events as well. But for recent grads (I finished up last May) with many friends still in Ithaca, Slope Day is a nice occassion to come back to. Plus, I mean, its Snoop![/q]Don't you get it? The administration does not want you at Slope Day! That's why they want to make it difficult - to discourage you from coming. Given how liability works in this country it is absolutely the right decision to make. And don't kid yourself - there is no way no the administration is going to change this policy based on the threat that some recent alums might not give money (I'd venture that RatushnyFan is the exception - most alums heading up for Slope Day are probably only a few years from graduation).

EDIT: Apologies if the first line sounds overly harsh.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2005 07:36PM by KeithK.

Posted by: Robin L. (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 14, 2005 09:01PM

Well, not sure they would allow anyone (even of age) to bring in alcohol as they now _sell_ it apparently on the slope. So the oldies wouldn't be supplying much alcohol.....unless they kept buying it for those underage I guess...

Date: April 14, 2005 10:05PM

No worries on offending me, I have thick skin :) But I agree with you- most alumni going back (myself included) are recently removed from graduation. And all this does is leave people with a bad taste in their mouths. I understand the concern over liability, what i dislike is that the administration tries to hide behind other reasons, when CYA was the rationale behind most of the Slope Day changes in the first place. And all most of the other changes did was force drinking behind closed doors- now the freshmen do a bunch of shots in their dorm rooms before going out to the slope, and end up just as sick, because they drink a lot, quickly.

What I find amazing about this is that so many colleges have some sort of spring festival (I am now at Penn, in the midst of Spring Fling) and don't seem to have these sorts of problems, while Cornell does. It like the Lynah ticket situation- why not look at what schools in similar situations- popular sport, small arena, academic emphasis, like Duke for squeakball- do about tickets and try to use that? Cornell's problems are not unique, yet we seem to have a much harder time solving them

Date: April 15, 2005 04:09PM

Hey - I'm young in spirit, if 35 in reality. You're never too old to visit beautiful Ithaca and if you have the chance to get liquored up on the slope, why not? Besides, Pep misses us ......... mysteriously a big chunk of his cash flow disappeared circa June 1992. I too care about liability so of course I won't be facilitating underage drinking.

Date: May 16, 2005 05:35PM

For those who missed it Snoop Dogg was great ........ my ears were ringing for a day or two afterwards. And Ithaca is still fantastic. Talked to Pep at length and he ran through what happened with Lee and that the two buyers of his stake had left town and were shirking on their barkeeping responsibilities. Much has changed, but much will also never change.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (146.203.15.---)
Date: May 19, 2005 11:43AM

[Q]RatushnyFan Wrote:

For those who missed it Snoop Dogg was great ........ my ears were ringing for a day or two afterwards. And Ithaca is still fantastic. Talked to Pep at length and he ran through what happened with Lee and that the two buyers of his stake had left town and were shirking on their barkeeping responsibilities. Much has changed, but much will also never change.[/q]

Had the same conversation with Pep when I was there last month. I said that it seems they turned out to be absentee landlords, and he said, "More like absentee assholes."

Then I carried him in darts for 7 games.

Yes, much will never change.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login