Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Barry Melrose on ESPN2

Posted by Petunia LiCicero '95 
Barry Melrose on ESPN2
Posted by: Petunia LiCicero '95 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 03:03PM

Anyone watching the Frozen Four?
Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL commentator says during the intermission he predicts McKee will win the Hobey Baker award. He says he would have "loved to see Cornell make the Frozen Four." He said if they played Minnesota anywhere other than Minnesota, Cornell would have won. He says he saw McKee play against Union. Was that at Schenectady?

Why is Barry Melrose so rah-rah Cornell?
Not that I am complaining, but I am kind of surprised.

Did Barry Melrose coach the LA Kings?

Re: Barry Melrose on ESPN2
Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 03:05PM

yes, yes, he likes our style and yes

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 03:11PM

[Q]Petunia LiCicero '95 Wrote:
He says he saw McKee play against Union. Was that at Schenectady?
[/q]

Yup. Melrose coached the old Adirondack Red Wings in Glens Falls and has a lot of connections in the Capital District and upstate NY.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 03:22PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:
yes, yes, he likes our style and yes[/q]As for Ben's last yes, I think Melrose coached the Kings while Dave Taylor (Clarkson) was GM as well. More ECAC connections there.

Date: April 07, 2005 03:28PM

not to mention some guy named wayne something ...

Date: April 07, 2005 03:30PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:
not to mention some guy named wayne something ...[/q]That guy was alright. nut

(But he didn't have any college hockey connections, which is what I was going for.)

Date: April 07, 2005 03:33PM

but he's the only reason we even know who barry melrose is, yup i said it, you made me say it ... :-O uhoh :-)

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 03:34PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

but he's the only reason we even know who barry melrose is, yup i said it, you made me say it ...[/q]

Well, that and the mullet.

Date: April 07, 2005 03:35PM

yes but that's another topic in itself :-D

Posted by: MattShaf (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 03:59PM

Not only did he give Cornell props he outright stated McKee should win the Hobey. :-)
As a former defenseman, its no surprise he likes CU and our style of play. His second intermission quote stating the UND was going to punish Minnesota furthers support for a team that likes to play strong defensive hockey. I'm glad someone stood up for us and against al this run and gun hockey most of the western "big ice" schools like to play.

Melrose's career: [www.hockeydb.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2005 04:00PM by MattShaf.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 04:41PM

He definitely seconded my notion that the western teams are far better skaters (in general, not specifically compared to Cornell). But he did flat out say that Cornell would have won the game on a smaller ice sheet. I haven't agreed with this on other threads but he's the expert. Good to see that he's taking notice. UND should clobber MN, the weakest remaining team.

Melrose said that he was at the Cornell/Union game........how on earth did he end up there? Loves Mckee's ability to control the rebound. He definitely feels that the CC guys will split some votes which is in Mckee's favor. Others on this board have disagreed.

Did you also see Sertich's mother? So sad what's going on with her. Denver scored a goal while they were interviewing her so they cut away.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: April 07, 2005 04:46PM

[Q]RatushnyFan Wrote:
He definitely feels that the CC guys will split some votes which is in Mckee's favor. Others on this board have disagreed.[/q]

It's not that we don't think there'd be some vote splitting between the CC guys, it's just that the voting has already happened. If there were a new round of voting for the winner from among the Hat Trick, there might be a much more significant split, but there isn't. The Hat Trick is the top three vote-getters, including the eventual winner, who has already technically won.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 05:31PM

I was at the Union game and met Barry Melrose, and besides coming across as a greaseball, he didn't know anything about cornell hockey other than that The faithful were amazing and that we had the best fans. He did seem interested when I started talking about Mckee and Moulson and how they were going to make noise come playoff time and they cornell was going to make even more noise...

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 05:42PM

[Q]Dpperk29 Wrote:

I was at the Union game and met Barry Melrose, and besides coming across as a greaseball, he didn't know anything about cornell hockey other than that The faithful were amazing and that we had the best fans.[/q]

Well, if someone's going to know only one thing about Cornell hockey, that's not a bad thing to know. :-D

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: April 07, 2005 06:15PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

RatushnyFan Wrote:
He definitely feels that the CC guys will split some votes which is in Mckee's favor. Others on this board have disagreed.[/Q]
It's not that we don't think there'd be some vote splitting between the CC guys, it's just that the voting has already happened. If there were a new round of voting for the winner from among the Hat Trick, there might be a much more significant split, but there isn't. The Hat Trick is the top three vote-getters, including the eventual winner, who has already technically won.

Beeeej[/q]

Good point.

All bias aside, David should win running away. He's put up numbers that have historical implications. The 2 CC guys have had great years but their numbers aren't even close to the top 20 single season scoring marks -- 96 points gets one up to the top 20.

I'm always curious when I hear people seemingly dismiss the numbers put up by Cornell players as being a product of the system, yet never saying higher offensive numbers can also be a product of a system.

David had one of the greatest seasons ever. His season's save % is now tied for 3rd all-time & his goals against average is the 2nd best all-time. This shouldn't even be close. Bring Hobey home...

Posted by: gtsully (---.75.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 06:22PM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:

All bias aside, David should win running away. He's put up numbers that have historical implications. The 2 CC guys have had great years but their numbers aren't even close to the top 20 single season scoring marks -- 96 points gets one up to the top 20.

David had one of the greatest seasons ever. His season's save % is now tied for 3rd all-time & his goals against average is the 2nd best all-time. This shouldn't even be close. Bring Hobey home...
[/q]

We all said the same thing about LeNeveu, but Senja still won with great but "non-historic" offensive numbers.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 06:51PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:Yup. Melrose coached the old Adirondack Red Wings in Glens Falls and has a lot of connections in the Capital District and upstate NY.[/q]

And the ARW were started by, among others, Ned Harkness, so Melrose may have had direct contact with Harkness.

Posted by: dss28 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 07:01PM

But didn't that have something to do with a goalie winning it more recently?

(edit: this was a response to gtsully's post about Leneveu/Senja)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2005 07:04PM by dss28.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 07:21PM

[Q]dss28 Wrote:

(edit: this was a response to gtsully's post about Leneveu/Senja).[/q]

Michigan State's Ryan Miller won it in 2001 as I recall. He had some outstanding numbers of his own I believe. What we don't know is if four years is long enough for another goalie with outstanding numbers to finally win the Hobey again.

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: April 07, 2005 08:11PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

dss28 Wrote:

(edit: this was a response to gtsully's post about Leneveu/Senja).[/Q]
Michigan State's Ryan Miller won it in 2001 as I recall. He had some outstanding numbers of his own I believe. What we don't know is if four years is long enough for another goalie with outstanding numbers to finally win the Hobey again.[/q]

Most specifically, 1.32, .95, 10 shutouts. Compare that to McKee's 1.24, .947, and 10 shutouts (in only 35 starts - Miller had 40). The numbers say that McKee had every bit as good of a season as Miller did - we'll all know tomorrow...

Re: Barry Melrose and Dave Taylor
Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 05:13AM

Melrose coached during Dave Taylor's last year as a player (2003-04). Not sure when Barry's last year as coach was, that may have been it. He had taken them to the Cup finals the previous season.

I'm quite sure Melrose did not coach during Taylor's time as the GM which began a few years after he retired as a player.

IIRC, Melrose lives in the Capital District so that may account for his attendance at college games at Union and RPI.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 05:21AM

The numbers McKee put up were "in the Ivy League," as some voters are going to remember. That's a bias against athletes from smart schools, not that CC is a vo-tech four year institution. A generation ago, it probably cost Ed Marinaro the Heisman.

ESPN may be lamenting the lack of color stories it would have had if a smart-ass Ivy school such as Harvard or Cornell had been one of the FF finalists. They'd be comparing McKee to Dryden and Ken's imcomparable four years capped with an NCAA title at both ends ... show him pheasant hunting or whipping a batch of something tasty in the hotel school to remind you there's Ivy League and then there's Ivy League ... then cut away to Dov toiling in the library stacks at Harvard ...

Maybe we're just jealous that Barry has an awesome wardrobe.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 06:13AM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

ben03 Wrote:

but he's the only reason we even know who barry melrose is, yup i said it, you made me say it ...[/Q]
Well, that and the mullet.[/q]

At least his suit matched the hair last night.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 07:49AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
They'd be comparing McKee to Dryden and Ken's imcomparable four years capped with an NCAA title at both ends[/q]
Come on, Bill. I actually wouldn't be surprised if ESPN *did* say that, but I'd expect you to know better :-P

Date: April 08, 2005 10:28AM

Sorry, that reference was meant to be tongue in cheek (what ESPN might say) and just in case, I noted "Ken's imcomparable four years," which would not have been possible in the 1960s, to do four years at the varsity level.

But overall, didn't it seem as if the level of announcing moved up a notch compared to when they had a half dozen announcer teams scattered all over? And compared to 2-3 years ago?

Re: announcing
Posted by: RichS (---.wayneschools.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 10:35AM

I missed both games. Who did the play by play and color?

Hopefully they did a better job than Edwards and the other guy whose name I can't remember...the big ex-NHL defenseman, a blond haired guy. Those guys gave you the impression that the Frozen Four were the only college games they had seen all year!

Date: April 08, 2005 11:20AM

[Q]gtsully Wrote:
We all said the same thing about LeNeveu, but Senja still won with great but "non-historic" offensive numbers.[/q]Sejna's offensive numbers (36-46-82 in 42 games, 1.95 PPG) weren't on the order of Paul Kariya's when he won in 1993 (25-75-100 in 39 games, 2.56 PPG), but they were substantially better than almost half a point per game better than Sertich (27-37-64 in 43 games, 1.49 PPG) or Sterling (34-29-63 in 43 games, 1.47 PPG).

I'm sure someone has already said this, but there would be nice symmetry if McKee won: two years ago, CC's guy won it over our guy the day after we lost in the semifinal; this year it'd be our guy winning it over CC's guy the day after they lost in the semifinal.

Posted by: dss28 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 11:28AM

[Q]marty Wrote:

atb9 Wrote:

ben03 Wrote:

but he's the only reason we even know who barry melrose is, yup i said it, you made me say it ...[/Q]
Well, that and the mullet.[/Q]
At least his suit matched the hair last night.[/q]

Now someone give him a coordinated highlighter...

Date: April 08, 2005 11:52AM

You would not have liked Barry Melrose's studio analysis. He was a whiny, broken record, Rich - saying if the West Regional teams played any rink other than Mariucci, Cornell not Minnesota would've been in the Frozen Four.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 12:01PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

You would not have liked Barry Melrose's studio analysis. He was a whiny, broken record, Rich - saying if the West Regional teams played any rink other than Mariucci, Cornell not Minnesota would've been in the Frozen Four. [/q]
True enough, Bill. But I have to give RichS credit here for at least contributing to a thread without taking a shot at one or all of us. I didn't see much of the semis yesterday (work, and then I fell asleep on the couch), so I can't comment. But I say it'd be worth building off of the actual normal comment/question RichS made, without the fair but a little harsh ribbing, however well deserved it may be.

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 12:18PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

I missed both games. Who did the play by play and color?
[/q]

Gary Thorne, Bill Clement, Darren Pang.

Date: April 08, 2005 06:11PM

We each of us have said at different times, "Lay off Rich, he's being a sport about this" and at other times we tweaked him a bit. It may be our schedules for good cop / bad cop days don't coincide.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 07:46PM

[opinion]If you're gonna get on his ass *everytime* for being non-sequitorially provocative, then it's hypocritical to bring him up as an issue in an ordinary thread where he's posting rationally.[/opinion]

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 08:04PM

Hey, that was kinda my point, Greg. If we're gonna get on him for being nasty without provocation, then being nasty without provocation back kind of destroys any attempt to build a better atmosphere.

We both say it, Bill, but I try to say it when it's deserved and not when it's not. Anyway, water under the bridge, I hope, but let's keep it civil when at all possible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login