Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Iggulden Signs With Rochester

Posted by calgARI '07 
Iggulden Signs With Rochester
Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: April 05, 2005 08:44PM

Professional tryout, the same kind of contract that Cook signed. Rochester has a really great team this year.

Re: Iggulden Signs With Rochester
Posted by: mgl11 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2005 09:30PM

I wonder if the Paolinis' will put him up....

[www.amerks.com]

Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 06, 2005 12:13AM

He'll be playing Friday night in Binghamton and Saturday night in Syracuse...Who's making the trip?

Posted by: sockralex (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2005 08:46AM

It would be a good way to get my hockey fix for the week. What are the chances that he is actually going to get some playing time though? He'll be traveling with the team, but would they actually put him in?

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2005 09:35AM

If you know any friends at Binghamton University its School of Management night and the tickets are $12.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 06, 2005 12:13PM

[Q]sockralex Wrote:

It would be a good way to get my hockey fix for the week.[/q]

Certainly a better way than watching the Frozen Four. rolleyes nut

Re: Iggulden Signs With Rochester -- as does Paolini
Posted by: mgl11 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2005 05:08PM

Posted by: TShen (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2005 05:51PM

Amerks have already clinched the division title. It wouldn't hurt to let Iggulden play.

Of interest to students
Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 06, 2005 08:05PM

The Binghamton Senators hockey team is sponsoring a “University Night” on Friday, April 8, at 7 pm, as the Senators (affiliate of the Ottawa Senators) play the Rochester Amerks (affiliate of the Buffalo Sabres). Discounted tickets are at $12 with a student ID. The venue is at the Broome County Veterans Memorial arena in downtown Binghamton. Over 60 prizes will be raffled off from local businesses, and with 100-150 expected students at this game, there is a great chance of winning a prize for you and your friends.

I've been to student night there, and its pretty fun. The B-Sens always pack the house anyway, but a little Cornell presense would be nice (assuming Iggy plays).

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 08:36AM

don't forget too that the amerks come to buffalo often for home games if that trip is easier for anyone. not sure when the next buffalo game is

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 10:02AM

[Q]jy3 Wrote:

don't forget too that the amerks come to buffalo often for home games if that trip is easier for anyone. not sure when the next buffalo game is[/q]

The rest of the regular season schedule:

Friday
Apr 08, 2005 7:05 PM Binghamton Away

Saturday
Apr 09, 2005 7:30 PM Syracuse Away

Monday
Apr 11, 2005 7:35 PM St. John's Away

Wednesday
Apr 13, 2005 7:35 PM St. John's Away

Friday
Apr 15, 2005 7:30 PM Hamilton Away

Saturday
Apr 16, 2005 7:35 PM Syracuse Home

Sunday
Apr 17, 2005 5:00 PM Cleveland Away

And a portion of a Iggy release:

Iggulden practiced with the Amerks today and will hit the road with the team for two games this weekend. Rochester begins a five-game in eight-night stretch Friday, April 8th at the Broome County Arena against the Binghamton Senators. The contest will be broadcast on WHTK 1280-AM and amerks.com.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 11:45AM

Are guys who signed with an AHL team this late in the season eligible for the AHL playoffs? Not saying that Iggulden or Cook would necessarily play in the post-season - I'm just wondering about rules.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: April 07, 2005 12:45PM

Yea they are.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.library.cornell.edu)
Date: April 07, 2005 01:18PM

Haven't seen it posted anywhere, but Knoepfli is playing pro in Switzerland.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 09:29PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Haven't seen it posted anywhere, but Knoepfli is playing pro in Switzerland.[/q]
Really? Knoepfli is the only one that was drafted. That's a hell of a ways to go to get in a short end of the season play. Sure you're not late on April Fools? ;)

Re: Sam, too?
Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 10:42PM

I was told that Sam P. was also called up to Rochester for these games. Can anyone confirm?

Re: Sam, too?
Date: April 07, 2005 11:33PM

[Q]peterg Wrote:

I was told that Sam P. was also called up to Rochester for these games. Can anyone confirm?[/q]

It helps to read the thread in flat view, as the link to the Amerks article was posted above. I'll repost it here: [www.amerks.com]

Posted by: redice (---.143.0.122.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 09:12AM

Re: Iggy, Cook, & Knoepfli.....what ever happened to finishing their education at Cornell? I know they can (& probably will) finish it during the summer....But, is this a sign that hockey supersedes the educational experience? If so, I'm disappointed. Let's face it, none of these players is likely (maybe Iggy??) to play in the NHL. So, it's not like they need to get a jump on their long pro hockey careers.

Date: April 08, 2005 09:36AM

[Q]redice Wrote:

Re: Iggy, Cook, & Knoepfli.....what ever happened to finishing their education at Cornell? I know they can (& probably will) finish it during the summer....But, is this a sign that hockey supersedes the educational experience? If so, I'm disappointed. Let's face it, none of these players is likely (maybe Iggy??) to play in the NHL. So, it's not like they need to get a jump on their long pro hockey careers. [/q]

There's little or no professional ice hockey to be played in the summer. But classes and finishing incompletes definitely can happen in the summer easily enough. If they can help out their careers in the slightest, I say, why not?

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.knighttrading.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 11:34AM

Well, Charlie's dad popped on another thread to assure people Charlie would be graduating in May...
The other thing to consider is that while "it's not like they need to get a jump on their long pro hockey careers," it is an opportunity to get a jump on getting paid to play a sport to which they've devoted their lives, and getting a jump this spring might mean making some waves when then training camp invites go around. And if hockey superseded their educational experience, who cares? College isn't just a place to go to class. That probably sounds pretty cranky, but I'm really not trying to be.

Posted by: charles cook (---.pthurn01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 01:10PM

first your assumptions are way off.!!!!!! mike k and charlie prepared themselves for this oppurtunity and nobody will be finishing in the summer. they will both graduate with their classes.
2nd the average entry age in nhl is 25 that gives all true freshmen 3 years to develop their pro career.
4 years ago they set goals and worked their plan !!! when you make the statement that education doesn't count it seems you are trying to diminish their efforts . for charlie and me turning down full rides to hockey schools and currently paying on student loans is the proof.

Date: April 08, 2005 01:42PM

[Q]charles cook Wrote:

first your assumptions are way off.!!!!!! mike k and charlie prepared themselves for this oppurtunity and nobody will be finishing in the summer. they will both graduate with their classes.
2nd the average entry age in nhl is 25 that gives all true freshmen 3 years to develop their pro career.
4 years ago they set goals and worked their plan !!! when you make the statement that education doesn't count it seems you are trying to diminish their efforts . for charlie and me turning down full rides to hockey schools and currently paying on student loans is the proof.
[/q]

That's awesome that they planned these things out. I'm happy for them, and wish them good luck in their forthcoming professional hockey careers.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 02:33PM

This situation is very different from a kid leaving college after his freshman year to go pro. Cook, Iggulden and Knoepfli have stayed four years and it sounds like they're in no danger of not graduating. Why shouldn't they get a jump on their pro careers (however long they may end up being) when it doesn't jeopardize what they've worked for in college? Especially since they my well end up back on campus in a few weeks if their teams exit the playoffs early.

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 02:57PM

[Q]charles cook Wrote:

[/q]Parents of players are always welcome around here, Mr. Cook. Thanks for your input and for sharing your son with the Cornell family. Godspeed at the next level.

Posted by: redice (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 11:35PM

My apologies, Mr. Cook. Assumptions are just that....and often inaccurate. Congratulations on having son with "a plan" and a darn good one at that!! I wish he (& the other seniors well). Good luck with those student loans. Money well spent!!

[Q]charles cook Wrote:

[/q]

Posted by: gobigred24 (---.chrstn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 08:31AM

Wish Charlie the best of luck from all the Faithful. He will be missed, and we hope for nothing but the best for him at the next level. Personally, I will be trying to get to see him play in Philly.

Posted by: Stewart2 (---.118.3.tmg.md)
Date: April 09, 2005 09:12AM

Speaking of Paolini, where is he these days? Still playing?

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2005 10:03AM

[Q]Stewart2 Wrote:

Speaking of Paolini, where is he these days? Still playing?[/q]

Check out this thread...

[elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 10, 2005 07:18PM

And as Mr. Cook noted, it also gets them a jump on paying off those ridiculous bills from our beloved Alma Mater.

Best of luck to Charlie, Michael, and the rest. I, for one, hope to see Charlie playing in Philly, soon, and eventually with the orange and black.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 06:49AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Haven't seen it posted anywhere, but Knoepfli is playing pro in Switzerland.[/q]

Cool. Do you know which club? I wonder if he's got a Swiss passport (like Andre Doll) to go along with his Swiss name.

BTW, the Swiss National League A playoffs ended last week, with Davos knocking off Zurich in five games. Bern, despite the worst start ever by a defending champion, managed to finish eighth (out of 12) and take the last playoff spot, then upset first-place Lugano in 5 before falling to Davos in 6.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: RabidSewerRat (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 12, 2005 09:59AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:
Cool. Do you know which club? I wonder if he's got a Swiss passport (like Andre Doll) to go along with his Swiss name.[/q]
This page [www.hockeyfans.ch] lists him under "in discussion" with Bern and Fribourg-Gotteron, and on the Bern page someone said he has a Swiss passport.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: April 12, 2005 12:52PM

[Q]RabidSewerRat Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:
Cool. Do you know which club? I wonder if he's got a Swiss passport (like Andre Doll) to go along with his Swiss name.[/Q]
This page lists him under "in discussion" with Bern and Fribourg-Gotteron, and on the Bern page someone said he has a Swiss passport. [/q]

Oh, man, that would be so cool if he played for SCB. OTOH, if he went to play for Gotteron, ugh. Scheisse, Scheisse Gotteron!

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 12, 2005 03:38PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:

Haven't seen it posted anywhere, but Knoepfli is playing pro in Switzerland.[/Q]
Cool. Do you know which club? I wonder if he's got a Swiss passport (like Andre Doll) to go along with his Swiss name.

BTW, the Swiss National League A playoffs ended last week, with Davos knocking off Zurich in five games. Bern, despite the worst start ever by a defending champion, managed to finish eighth (out of 12) and take the last playoff spot, then upset first-place Lugano in 5 before falling to Davos in 6.[/q]

Wasn't Bern's success largely because of Dany Heatley coming in late in the season?

Re: Vesce photo
Posted by: Brian (128.226.96.---)
Date: April 12, 2005 05:00PM

Here is a good photo of vesce:

and a nice interview:

Ryan besvarar fansens frågor

Efter tisdagens ispass satte sig Röglecentern Ryan Vesce framför datorn och besvarade frågor som fansen mailat in till Nätmagasinet i slutet av förra veckan.
Ryan gladde sig åt fansens stora intresse och la ner energi på att hinna besvara så många som möjligt.
Vi kan konstatera att det var en speciell fråga som många ville ha svar på...

(Jonas) Name a couple of prejudices you had about Sweden and Swedish people, besides hockey, before you came here, that turned out to be right. And name a few that were totally wrong.
(Ryan) Nothing really. One of my best friends back home is from Bromma and he's real nice so I pretty much expected everyone to be welcoming.

(Jonas) Are you picking up any Swedish, besides f-words and öl?
(Ryan) Just "Tjena" and "läget".

(Jonas) How is Gunnars English, or is he using a translator to get instructions to you and Byron?
(Ryan) Sometimes we have a translator when he is talking to the whole team but individually his English is fine.

(Jonas) How do you kill time between games/practicing, or do you work in a warehouse like the rest of the team?
(Ryan) I work out and skate on some of the mornings that we do not play. Other than that me and Byron just get lunch and hang out in Ängelholm.

(Jeppe) Do you and Byron hang out together?
(Ryan) All the time

(Jeppe, Leif, Jessica) How do you like Sweden?
(Ryan) I absolutely love it!

(Jeppe) Would Rögle have beaten your College-team?
(Ryan) Yes, but it’s a totally different game with the bigger ice surface over here.

(Jeppe) Are you longing home?
(Ryan) I miss my family and friends but I am not homesick.

(Jeppe) Who is the world's greatest hockey player according to you?
(Ryan) Peter Forsberg.

(Robin) Are you still playing in the US National Team? Do you have a regular place in that team?
(Ryan) No, I just played a four nations tournament with them when I was 17.

(Sol) What are the differences from NHL to Allsvenskan? And how big are these differences?
(Ryan) I've only played in college so I couldn't tell you.

(Sol) Mora's (Elitserien) Daniel Cleary said that the hockey is more physical here in Sweden? Is that so and how can that be, isn't there more fights and roughing in the NHL?
(Ryan) It is definitely a tougher game in the NHL, then here.

(Sol) How do you pronounce your last name?
(Ryan) Vessi.

(Michael) Do you miss any aspect of the game from back home?
(Ryan) No.

(Michael) Did anyone get you the puck after you scored your first ever pro-hockey hattrick?
(Ryan) No I didn't.

(Michael) As a fan of Rögle I miss the chemistry between you and Byron on the ice,how is his bad leg doing?
(Ryan) He's getting better.

(Magnus) What things must you improve to qualify for a NHL contract?
(Ryan) Improve my skating, speed and quickness. At the NHL level things happen much quicker.

(Tobbe) Hi Ryan! How was Ryder Cup at the Åkargården Golf Course? Did you and Byron win or did Gunnar and Arne? Did you know that it was us you passed on the way?
(Ryan) Arne and Gunnar won but I think we will take them in the spring.

(Jeppe, Anders, Jerry, Niklas, Magnus, Jonte, Johan, Jörgen, Wille, Mats)
Do you think that you will play in Rögle next season aswell? It would be awsome!
(Ryan) I am seriously considering it, but I will have to see what happens.

Därmed tackar vi Ryan för alla svar och önskar lycka till med den fortsatta säsongen!
Framöver kommer möjlighet ges att fråga ut fler Rögleprofiler.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 05:14PM

[Q]Brian Wrote:

(Ryan) Yes, but it’s a totally different game with the bigger ice surface over here.

[/q]
In case anyone still had doubts.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 05:34PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Brian Wrote:

[/Q]
In case anyone still had doubts.[/q]
Eh, he's just whining ;)

Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 12, 2005 05:47PM

I hate those European uniforms, isn't there a few square inches left for a few more advertisements?

Date: April 12, 2005 06:11PM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:

Wasn't Bern's success largely because of Dany Heatley coming in late in the season?[/q]

Heatley was already on the team when I was in town just before Xmas. And they'd had time to make up merchandise with his name on it.

Wow, is someone besides me actually talking about Swiss hockey here?
twitch

Date: April 12, 2005 06:13PM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

I hate those European uniforms, isn't there a few square inches left for a few more advertisements?[/q]

The one that really bugs me is when the sponsor's name is in big letters across the shoulders and the player's name is in smaller letters across the waist.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 07:33PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Tub(a) Wrote:

Wasn't Bern's success largely because of Dany Heatley coming in late in the season?[/Q]
Heatley was already on the team when I was in town just before Xmas. And they'd had time to make up merchandise with his name on it.

Wow, is someone besides me actually talking about Swiss hockey here?[/q]

Only because the Sabres have a couple players on Bern. Don't get too excited :-P

Date: April 13, 2005 08:16AM

It's not as bad as some places. In Aussie Rules Football, there are little MacDonalds logos on the ball.

Date: April 13, 2005 10:25AM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

It's not as bad as some places. In Aussie Rules Football, there are little MacDonalds logos on the ball.[/q]

Actually, there is a team in Vesce's league that has the Golden Arches logo on the thighs. Here is how you access the photos: go to www.roglebk.nu and choose Draktligan from the drop down menu, you will be able to scroll through the different uniforms used in the league.

Advertisements
Posted by: nyiballs (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 10:37PM

[Q]Brian Wrote:

Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

It's not as bad as some places. In Aussie Rules Football, there are little MacDonalds logos on the ball.[/Q]
Actually, there is a team in Vesce's league that has the Golden Arches logo on the thighs. Here is how you access the photos: go to www.roglebk.nu and choose Draktligan from the drop down menu, you will be able to scroll through the different uniforms used in the league. [/q]

Ha!!

Ads on uniforms give owners more money... then owners cna worry less about player costs and not have labor disputes...

Re: Advertisements
Date: April 13, 2005 10:49PM

[Q]nyiballs Wrote:

Ads on uniforms give owners more money... then owners cna worry less about player costs and not have labor disputes...[/q]

I think most of us knew why there are ads on uniforms, it's just that it ends up making the jerseys very cluttered and not very appealing to look at.

Re: Advertisements
Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2005 11:26PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

nyiballs Wrote:

Ads on uniforms give owners more money... then owners cna worry less about player costs and not have labor disputes...[/Q]
I think most of us knew why there are ads on uniforms, it's just that it ends up making the jerseys very cluttered and not very appealing to look at.[/q]
all true ... but at least they're playing nut

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2005 03:26AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:Wow, is someone besides me actually talking about Swiss hockey here?[/q]I'm surprised that anyone was listening to you talking about Swiss hockey.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: April 14, 2005 06:39AM

Now, now...

Posted by: dsr11 (38.117.250.---)
Date: April 14, 2005 08:33AM

ok, so i don't have the patience to read swedish (or use google's translator). how is vesce doing over there?

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.net.nih.gov)
Date: April 14, 2005 12:21PM

[Q]dsr11 Wrote:

ok, so i don't have the patience to read swedish (or use google's translator). how is vesce doing over there?[/q]

Not that I can read most of the pages either, but it sure seems like they love Vesce in Sweden (they call him King Ryan).

In terms of scoring stats, here's how he matches up with the rest of the league:
[www.eliteprospects.com]

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: April 14, 2005 01:37PM

Date: April 15, 2005 08:10AM

A little poking around found that Manderville is playing in the Elite League.

Road trip?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: April 15, 2005 10:24AM

It appears Manderville is no longer on the Timra active roster.

Posted by: mgl11 (---.c3-0.nyw-ubr2.nyr-nyw.ny.cable.rcn.)
Date: April 15, 2005 10:44AM

I think the story is more that he has not been resigned for next year (yet anyway)...the swedish season is over at this point. Manderville was on Timra's playoff roster and played in all 7 of their games (notching 1 assist and 18 penelty minutes).

at good site for all things hockey and swedish (which may have been posted before)....

[stats.swehockey.se]

Date: April 15, 2005 11:30AM

I noticed Paolini was signed to a PTO contract and Iggulden and Cook were signed to ATO contracts, what is the difference between the two contracts? help

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: April 15, 2005 12:20PM

There's another mini-profile of Vesce here: [www.roglebk.nu]

I can speak Swedish (not that you really need a translation for about 2/3 of the words). Here's what it says:

Name: Ryan Vesce
Nickname: Ves
Position on the team: Forward
Occupation: Hockey player [Not always the answer at this level. HH]
Family: Parents, two brothers and a sister.
Car: Volvo S60
Previous clubs: Long Island Gulls, New York Apple Core, Cornell University
Best people to play/hang with in Roegle: Our fans
High points in career: To play in the Frozen Four, the college playoffs, in 2003 in front of 17,000 people in the Buffalo Sabre's HSBC Arena.
Describe the Angel Island Army [= Roegle fans]: Best in Sweden, maybe best in the world!
Coolest sweaters (with the exception of Roegle's): Cornell University's white ones
[Roegle's] Foremost challenger for the league title: Leksand
Aengelholm's best restaurant: Torsten's
Life's a party when: We take three points.
Favorite sport (with the exception of ice hockey): Baseball
Favorite sports team: New York Giants (American football)

Best...
...hockey arena: Aengelholm's Ice Hall
...coach: Mike Schafer
...TV show: Seinfeld
...movie: Good Will Hunting
...book: Bringing Down the House by Ben Mezrich
...food: Pasta
...drink: Gatorade
...music: Rap

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2005 12:45PM

[Q]Brian Wrote:

I noticed Paolini was signed to a PTO contract and Iggulden and Cook were signed to ATO contracts, what is the difference between the two contracts? [/q]

My best guess:

PTO = Professional Tryout
ATO = Amateur Tryout

Seeing that Paolini came in after having been playing as a professional for the last 2 years, and Iggulden and Cook last played as amateurs. Other than that, I don't know what the rules are regarding the two different types, such as how many of each kind a team can do, what that means contractually, etc.

Date: April 15, 2005 01:17PM

[q]My best guess:

PTO = Professional Tryout
ATO = Amateur Tryout [/q]This is right, confirmed by a 5 second venture on Google. I didn't take the extra time to determine what the difference is exactly.

Date: April 15, 2005 02:39PM

[Q]Hillel Hoffmann Wrote:

Describe the Angel Island Army [= Roegle fans]: Best in Sweden, maybe best in the world!

[/q]

Traitor! nut

Date: April 15, 2005 02:48PM

Traitor? Nah. Just a suck up to his new fans. (Notice he only said "maybe".)

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: April 16, 2005 12:40AM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

[/q]

Anyone know where to find the SEL II rosters? I've tried a few times and no luck. Last thing I heard Rogle was at/near the top, and with the SEL the top tier II teams get a chance to replace a tier I team in the top tier.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 10:48AM

Iggy scored his first AHL goal last night, scoring Rochester's 5th goal of the night at 19:52 of the second period in a 5-3 win over Hamilton.

Edit: Elsewhere in the AHL....
Leneveu stopped 38 of 39 shots in a 4-1 Utah win.
Bâby had a rough night, finishing at -3 in a 5-2 Chicago loss, and getting 5 minutes for fighting at the end of the game.
Murray finished at -2 in a 7-2 Cleveland loss.
JMP stopped 26 of 28 shots in Springfield's 2-1 OT loss to Portland. (Chris Borque scored the gamewinner in OT)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2005 10:54AM by DisplacedCornellian.

Re: Doug Murray
Date: April 18, 2005 10:14AM

Murray scored the game winner last night against Rochester, he also assisted on the previous goal. Seems like he is coming on strong down the stretch just like last year. Paolini was in the lineup but Iggulden was not. Lenny got a win in another shoot out and Cook got his first start!

Knoepfli
Posted by: RabidSewerRat (---.campuslife.cornell.edu)
Date: April 19, 2005 10:28PM

in German [www.hockeyfans.ch]

[Q]15.4.2005 | Servette verpflichtet Mike Knoepfli
(mm) Genf-Servette hat seinen ersten Transfer im Hinblick auf die neue Saison getätigt und den College-Stürmer Mike Knoepfli verpflichtet. Der 23-jährige Kanada-Schweizer, der bisher auf höchsten Ebene College-Hockey für das Team Cornell Big Red spielte, unterschrieb für ein Jahr mit Option bei den Genfern. Diese Saison erzielte er in 35 Spielen 12 Tore und 13 Assists. [/Q]
4/15/2005 | Servette signs Mike Knoepfli
Geneva-Servette has made their first transfer in regards to the new season and signed the college forward Mike Knoepfli. The 23-year-old Swiss-Canadian, who up until now played for the Cornell Big Red at the highest level of college hockey, signed with Geneva for one year with options. This season he had 12 goals and 13 assists in 35 games.

and in French... (be warned I suspect my ability to translate French is much worse than for German) [www.tdg.ch]

[q]Un joli bébé
En attendant, Chris ­McSorley annonce l'arrivée du Canado-Suisse, Mike Knoepfli (23 ans, 1 m 83, 91 kg). Ce joli bébé - drafté en NHL par les Toronto Maple Leafs - évolue depuis 2001 avec l'équipe universitaire américaine de ­Cornell (Etat de New York), avec laquelle il a comptabilisé 88 points (32 buts et 56 assists) en 137 matches.

Avant de rejoindre Cornell, Mike Knoepfli avait joué sous le chandail des Georgetown Raiders (Ontario) avec à son compteur 45 goals et 38 assists en 47 rencontres pour le seul exercice 2000-2001!

Mike Knoepfli jouit d'une réputation flatteuse dans le championnat universitaire. Il est non seulement considéré comme un leader. Mais comme l'attaquant le plus offensif de Cornell.

Dans la course aux transferts, Chris McSorley a brûlé la politesse à Lugano, Berne et Fribourg, intéressés eux aussi par le Canado-Suisse, une denrée rare, très recherchée sur le marché du hockey helvétique.[/q]
... Chris McSorley announced the arrival of Swiss-Canadian Mike Knoepfli (23 years, 1.83m, 91kg). Drafted in the NHL by the Toronto Maple Leafs, he has developed since 2001 with the American university team Cornell (New York State), where he had 88 points (32 goals and 56 assists) in 137 games.

Before joining Cornell, Mike Knoepfli played in the sweater of the Georgetown Raiders (Ontario) where he had 45 goals and 38 assists in 47 games for the single season 2000-2001!

Mike Knoepfli enjoyed a flattering reputation in the university championships. He was considered not only a leader but also, as a forward, the most offensive of Cornell. (somehow I don't think that came out quite right in English...)

In the race for transfers, Chris McSorley (er… burned the politeness at??) Lugano, Bern and Fribourg, were also interested in the Swiss-Canadian, a rare commodity much desired in the Swiss hockey market.

Re: Knoepfli
Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: April 20, 2005 05:06AM

[Q]RabidSewerRat Wrote:
In the race for transfers, Chris McSorley (er… burned the politeness at??) Lugano, Bern and Fribourg, were also interested in the Swiss-Canadian, a rare commodity much desired in the Swiss hockey market.
[/q]

It looks idiomatic -- "abused the courtesy of," or, in short, "served." The sense is McSorley beat out the other teams for Knoepfli.

Date: April 20, 2005 07:47AM

Okay, Servette I can live with. Too bad he didn't sign with SCB, though. I would have had to get a new replica jersey with his name on it.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: April 20, 2005 08:15PM

Cornell is becoming widely known. A Swiss friend of mine who is a big hockey fan asked me about Knoepfli before the playoffs were even over. He had heard his team was looking at Mike. Unfortunately, I think his team is SCB so he doesn't get to root for a Cornellian like I had hoped. I hadn't thought about a jersey. That would be pretty cool to get a Swiss Knoepfli jersey to wear in my drop-in leagues, even if I am a goalie. For now I am very proud to wear my red Cornell jersey every time. (I do wash it before I go watch any games).

Re: Doug Murray
Date: April 20, 2005 08:26PM

Kudos (despite the award name and actual prize):

Rubbermaid Player Of The Year
Josh Gorges and Doug Murray were awarded the co-Rubbermaid Player of the Year for the 2004-05 season. The Barons introduced the “Rubbermaid Player of the Game” this season. At the end of each game, the player who provided the most durable and dependable performance was named the Rubbermaid Player of the Game. Murray and Gorges will a receive Rubbermaid prize pack for their performance.

And More:

Demolition Man (Gotta like this title, though)
Doug Murray surpassed his point total of last season (22), by finishing strong with 12 points (2-10-12) in his last 19 games. On the season, Murray recorded 6 goals and 17 assists in 54 games. The bruising defenseman was the co-recipient of the Rubbermaid Player of the Year, along with Josh Gorges. A native of Bromma, Sweden, he tied a career-high by posting a +4 plus-minus rating against St. John’s on 3/16. Murray previously recorded a +4 in his fifth career game on October 24th, 2003 against Houston.

[www.clevelandbarons.net]

Lenny
Date: April 20, 2005 08:42PM

Lenny gets some notice, too.

On Monday April 11, the Grizzlies held their annual award banquet handing out 12 awards. Both Peter White and Justin Cox took home two awards. Check out below for the full list of winners:

Most Valuable Player - Peter White
Rookie of the Year - Keith Ballard
Offensive Player of the Year - Peter White
Unsung Hero - Erik Westrum
Gord Dineen Trophy (Defenseman of the Year) - Matthew Spiller
Most Improved - Joe Callahan
*Three Stars Award - David LeNeveu *
Community Man of the Year - Sheldon Keefe
Player's Player - Jarrod Skalde
Trash Talker - Justin Cox
Fan Favorite - Justin Cox

[www.utahgrizzlies.com]

Unfortunately, the site had this info, but not a more indepth article.

Date: April 20, 2005 09:17PM

[Q]cth95 Wrote:

Cornell is becoming widely known. A Swiss friend of mine who is a big hockey fan asked me about Knoepfli before the playoffs were even over. He had heard his team was looking at Mike. Unfortunately, I think his team is SCB so he doesn't get to root for a Cornellian like I had hoped. I hadn't thought about a jersey. That would be pretty cool to get a Swiss Knoepfli jersey to wear in my drop-in leagues, even if I am a goalie. For now I am very proud to wear my red Cornell jersey every time. (I do wash it before I go watch any games). [/q]

Servette was NLB when I was in Switzerland, so I never saw them play and never developed any animosity towards them. Of course the only clubs I ended up actively hostile towards were Langnau, Fribourg-Gotteron, and ZSC Lions (Zurich). Andre Doll was playing for Lugano at the time, and I didn't mind seeing them win the title my first year there, once SCB had been eliminated.

At least one Cornellian was already well-known in Swiss and German hockey circles: Lance Nethery had a very successful coaching career over there.

Another ECAC alum in Europe
Date: April 20, 2005 11:07PM

From [www.ihwc.net]

[Q]
Playoff update: Eisbären Berlin, who won 15 championships as Dynamo Berlin in the defunct DDR, became the second club in Germany to sweep the final series. They did it by defeating Adler Mannheim 4-1 on Tuesday, April 19. Eric Cole scored two goals and Steve Walker had 1G and 1A. The "Ice Bears" won 4-0 at Mannheim on Sunday to take a 2-0 final series lead. Denis Pederson's early goal proved to be the winner. Pederson also had two goals in game one, which Berlin won 5-3. Oliver Jonas had the shutout.
[/Q]

Crap, does that mean I have to stop wearing my Eisbären scarf? help

Re: Lenny
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2005 01:46AM

[Q]cth95 Wrote:
On Monday April 11, the Grizzlies held their annual award banquet handing out 12 awards. Both Peter White and Justin Cox took home two awards. Check out below for the full list of winners:

Unsung Hero - Erik Westrum [/q]I remember him from the Gophers a couple of years ago. That guy was a fucking punk.

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: April 21, 2005 10:31AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:
Servette was NLB when I was in Switzerland, so I never saw them play and never developed any animosity towards them. Of course the only clubs I ended up actively hostile towards were Langnau, Fribourg-Gotteron, and ZSC Lions (Zurich). [/q]Of course.

Re: Where are they now?
Date: April 25, 2005 12:06PM

Okay, it's obvious that Paolini, Iggulden, and Cook were signed just to fill spots on the roster to finish out the regular season. Is Iggulden and Cook still with there teams just in case of an injury or are they done like Paolini? Would they be able to sign on with the ECHL teams? I just would like to see some of our alumni playing in the playoffs! Murray is the only one that I know of, Bâby isn't playing for Chicago currently.

Date: April 25, 2005 01:13PM

I can only speak for Cook's status.

The Flyers are reasonably deep at defense, but DesJardins is old and creaky, and Ragnarsson is getting there. The phantoms list 8 D-men on their roster. One is Pitkanen, who is playing with the Phantoms during the strike even though he played the whole year with the Flyers, and another is Seidenberg who played up and down all last year, but is expected to be playing up when the strike ends. Randy Jones also played some time with the Flyers last year, so he's probably the next one to break the big club lineup. John Slaney will likely be a permanent AHLer, but he's 33 and near retirement.

My guess is if the NHL plays next year (a big if), the Phantoms will be light at defense, and Charlie could get a fair shake if they choose to re-sign him. I doubt if he'll see any more play this year.

JH

Re: Steven Baby
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2005 11:28PM

[Q]Brian Wrote:

Okay, it's obvious that Paolini, Iggulden, and Cook were signed just to fill spots on the roster to finish out the regular season. Is Iggulden and Cook still with there teams just in case of an injury or are they done like Paolini? Would they be able to sign on with the ECHL teams? I just would like to see some of our alumni playing in the playoffs! Murray is the only one that I know of, Bâby isn't playing for Chicago currently.[/q]

Bâby hasn't appeared in Chicago's four playoff games so far, but he is still on the roster and was in the last three regular season games. I didn't check any further back then that, but I remember him scoring a goal a few weeks back. Over the regular season he played in 64 out of 80 games.

[www.pointstreak.com]
[www.pointstreak.com]
[www.pointstreak.com]

[www.theahl.com]

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: April 25, 2005 11:38PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

I can only speak for Cook's status.

The Flyers are reasonably deep at defense, but DesJardins is old and creaky, and Ragnarsson is getting there. The phantoms list 8 D-men on their roster. One is Pitkanen, who is playing with the Phantoms during the strike even though he played the whole year with the Flyers, and another is Seidenberg who played up and down all last year, but is expected to be playing up when the strike ends. Randy Jones also played some time with the Flyers last year, so he's probably the next one to break the big club lineup. John Slaney will likely be a permanent AHLer, but he's 33 and near retirement.

My guess is if the NHL plays next year (a big if), the Phantoms will be light at defense, and Charlie could get a fair shake if they choose to re-sign him. I doubt if he'll see any more play this year.

JH[/q]

If the NHL plays next year (which I believe they will), there will be an extraordinary amount of contract uncertainty as in over half the players in the NHL possibly being free agents. With that being the case, it is nearly impossible to forecast what the Flyers depth chart will look like come September.
Also, not to nitpick, but the players are not striking, the owners have locked the players out. A substantial difference.

Posted by: faithful 05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2005 12:15AM

Iggulden is back in Ithaca, I've seen him in class over the past week

Date: April 26, 2005 08:10AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Also, not to nitpick, but the players are not striking, the owners have locked the players out. A substantial difference.[/q]

Slip of the tongue. It's just that "strike" rolls off the fingertips so much easier than "lock-out."

Posted by: charlescook (---.pthurn01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2005 08:23AM

charlie chose philly over other options because of 1 year guaranteed contract !! your other observations are correct.

Date: April 26, 2005 12:55PM

Thanks, Mr. C.

I look forward to coming down to the Spectrum and seeing Charlie play next year (and hopefully someday in Orange and Black).

Posted by: Pace (---.vtx.ch)
Date: June 07, 2005 10:08AM

Hehe, sweet!

I actually didn't know about this until I was talking to Shane Hynes and he told me. I live in Geneva, but have never been interested in hockey here. Now I have a reason to go see a few games when I'm back for x-mas holidays.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login