Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Borque Leaves BU

Posted by scoop85 
Borque Leaves BU
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2005 04:20PM

Over on USCHO. I guess he wasn't much into the academics and is going to play in the Quebec Junior league.

While I'm no fan of BU, not exactly the best news for Eastern hockey right now.

Re: Borque Leaves BU
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2005 05:32PM

BU wasn't going anywhere even with Bourque. Cornell, BC and UNH are still the top 3 teams in the East for next year.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: April 02, 2005 05:44PM

I agree with Jmh30 but I would add Maine and Dartmouth to the list for great Eastern teams next year.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2005 06:34PM

Don't forget RPI and Clarkson!

Oh, wait that was yesterday ;-) !

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 02, 2005 06:52PM

they'll be baaaaaaack! :-D

Date: April 02, 2005 06:57PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
I agree with Jmh30 but I would add Maine and Dartmouth to the list for great Eastern teams next year.[/q]Those were the other two I considered, but goaltending is a question mark for Dartmouth and everything other than goaltending is a question mark for Maine.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: April 02, 2005 08:36PM

Clarkson will be back. RPI... not so sure. They've been steadily sinking; that's not a good sign.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2005 09:53PM

is disco going to come back too rich?

maybe elvis will make a comeback tour next year?

Date: April 02, 2005 10:08PM

[Q]Dpperk29 Wrote:
is disco going to come back too rich?[/q]

"Hip hop is disco with no sense of humor." :-D

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 02, 2005 10:09PM

You sound skeptical about Clarkson returning to form. That's fine but I am confident.

And no, I hope disco stays buried!

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2005 10:27PM

Holy Hell, RichS and i agree about something... down with disco.

Yes Rich I am rather skeptical of Clarkson's return. Clarkson is a good team, but they are terribly inconsistant. They Played cornell 4 times this season, 2 were blowouts, one was a very hard faught game which could have gone either way, and the other one (The first game) was a decent game, but deffinatly more Cornell's than Clarksons. I do think George Roll has the team pointed down the right course, I just don't see them being a viable contender for the ECAC playoff title until they get some consistancy. I could see clarkson contending in maybe 3 years, 4 at most. I just don;'t think it will be next, or the year after.

hmmm... think I sorta contradicted what I said alitte, but you get the message

Date: April 02, 2005 10:50PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Clarkson will be back. RPI... not so sure. They've been steadily sinking; that's not a good sign.[/q]

At RPI in addition to finding a coach they have to climb a mountain to regain any semblance of a decent recruiting scheme. They are in really big trouble for at least the next three years.

If Oates or some similar alum does a Red Berenson for them they could return to form. Another possible ace in the hole could be a rich engineer who just happens to like hockey and drops a few bills for a decent rink.

All this is speculation that would have made a good story on 4/1. Today it's just melancholy foolishness. They need to do a lot more than polish trophies in Troy.

If a program like RIP's doesn't make you appreciate our coach, then you're the fool.

stupid

Date: April 03, 2005 12:08AM

Clarkson's problems are very recent and quite reversible. They've only been sub-.500 in conference for 3 seasons (i.e., as long as Cornell was in 93-95). Compare Harvard, who failed to finish over .500 in conference in 7 of the 8 seasons from 1995-2002.

Prior to their short downturn, Clarkson was a credible league contender nearly every year for 25 straight seasons, 1976-2001.

Their advantages are systemic (location, institutional commitment, fairly easy admissions, well-developed networks) and won't erode unless they're badly neglected.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 03, 2005 12:18AM

Uh oh, Greg. Gotta be careful. A statement of fact could be confused with obnoxious, Ivy league snobbery - cause that's all there ever is around here anyway.

Date: April 03, 2005 12:20AM

I'm not deeply concerned. ;-)

Date: April 03, 2005 04:11AM

[Q]marty Wrote:
At RPI in addition to finding a coach they have to climb a mountain to regain any semblance of a decent recruiting scheme. They are in really big trouble for at least the next three years.

If Oates or some similar alum does a Red Berenson for them they could return to form. Another possible ace in the hole could be a rich engineer who just happens to like hockey and drops a few bills for a decent rink.

All this is speculation that would have made a good story on 4/1. Today it's just melancholy foolishness. They need to do a lot more than polish trophies in Troy.

If a program like RIP's doesn't make you appreciate our coach, then you're the fool.[/q]I have to be honest, though... Fridge has recruited a lot of good players, and continues to bring in guys like Croxton and Lord who can be difference-makers. And he won the league championship in his first year with players who weren't his, so he must have SOME idea of how to coach a team. So, I think RPI will make their way back up towards the top of the standings sooner or later. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my guess, anyway.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2005 08:37AM

[Q]Rich S Wrote: they'll be [edit] way [end edit] baaaaaaack! [/q]

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 03, 2005 09:46AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Rich S Wrote: they'll be way baaaaaaack! [/Q]
[/q]

Good to be king, huh bill?.....yeah, we are going thru some difficult times......not different for you last decade......... we had a nice recruiting class last year, and a very good one this year......... the ship is being righted. One of the great things about being on top is talking smack...and I realize shit rolls down hill....but we will be back.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2005 11:44AM by Drew.

Date: April 03, 2005 10:16AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

I have to be honest, though... Fridge has recruited a lot of good players, and continues to bring in guys like Croxton and Lord who can be difference-makers. And he won the league championship in his first year with players who weren't his, so he must have SOME idea of how to coach a team. So, I think RPI will make their way back up towards the top of the standings sooner or later. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my guess, anyway.[/q]

But I don't think it will be with Dan Fridgen when they do. Their teams perform worse as each season progresses. This was true in at least 3 of the last 5 years. This year was the most dramatic. They lost to Princeton on the last Friday of regular season play. The Princeton team was having fun setting up plays and skating around RPI. They needed a penalty in OT to beat Yale on that Saturday. The team cemented themselves into 11th that weekend. It was an ugly year.

Croxton and Lord are bright spots, but the rank and file players typically learn zilch while spending four years in Troy. At least they go home with a nice parting gift (their degrees).

Posted by: Mark (---.z064002065.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: April 03, 2005 04:10PM

Six months before next season starts and BU is being dismissed already. Now that's respect. worry

Bourque will be missed, but to me, he just wasn't the same player once he injured his knee in the WJC in December.

Come on Ewing Theory. ;-)

While neither will fall off the cliff, BC and UNH will both have to deal with some significant graduation losses, and *neither* will be running away from the pack in HE. I think BU has the horses to earn another NCAA bid, but we shall see.

I assume Cornell will again be either regular-season champion of the ECAC or at least runner-up. And certainly in the running for a spot in either Worcester or Manchester after another run through Albany.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2005 04:11PM by Mark.

Date: April 03, 2005 05:24PM

[Q]Mark Wrote:

I assume Cornell will again be either regular-season champion of the ECAC or at least runner-up. And certainly in the running for a spot in either Worcester or Manchester after another run through Albany.

.[/q]

Do you mean Albany rather than Manchester after the ECAC tourney? I wouldn't bet against Green Bay or Grand Forks.

• East Regional: Pepsi Arena, Albany, N.Y. (March 25-26)
• Northeast Regional: Centrum Centre, Worcester, Mass. (March 24-25)
• Midwest Regional: Resch Center, Green Bay, Wis. (March 25-26)
• West Regional: Engelstad Arena, Grand Forks, N.D. (March 24-25)
• Frozen Four: Bradley Center, Milwaukee (April 6 and 8)

Date: April 03, 2005 05:53PM

Well, Wisconsin is going to have a really good team next year, and that will be aided by them not leaving the state during the entire NCAA Tournament.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2005 06:03PM

So you know what regional Cornell will be posted in.

Posted by: Mark (---.z064002065.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: April 04, 2005 10:46AM

Right you are, Marty. It's Albany and not Manchester. I got 2006 and 2007 mixed up.

Posted by: dargason (---.155.212.219.conversent.net)
Date: April 04, 2005 11:22AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

So you know what regional Cornell will be posted in. [/q]

Following this year's theme, looks like we should be in Grand Forks on NoDak's home ice. nut

The arena is supposed to be amazing...although I guess no matter how nice the place is, once you exit it, you're still in North Dakota.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 04, 2005 12:51PM

[Q]dargason Wrote:
The arena is supposed to be amazing...although I guess no matter how nice the place is, once you exit it, you're still in North Dakota.[/q]
ROFL laugh

On the bright side, it's 200x85

Date: April 04, 2005 01:34PM

Here's a link to TSN's story of Bourque leaving BU: [www.tsn.ca].

He sure comes off as stupid and arrogant.

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 04, 2005 02:44PM

In other words, fair and accurate reporting...:-P

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 04, 2005 02:48PM

Borque: "I didn't think it was going to be as hard or as serious as it was."

I think fair and accurate sums it up. This kid should not be playing college hockey.

Date: April 04, 2005 05:14PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
He sure comes off as stupid and arrogant.[/q]He failed out of BU. What does that say regarding his stupidity?

Date: April 04, 2005 06:23PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:
He sure comes off as stupid and arrogant.[/Q]
He failed out of BU. What does that say regarding his stupidity?[/q]

Point taken but college atheletes of that caliber do not fail out of school.

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 04, 2005 08:58PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

jmh30 Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:
He failed out of BU. What does that say regarding his stupidity?[/Q]
Point taken but college atheletes of that caliber do not fail out of school. [/q]

Students of his caliber ( that being poor a student) do fail out.....that is why it is important to differentiate student athlete from athlete ( which borque seems to be)......my two cents......don't give me the RichS beating.;-)

Date: April 04, 2005 09:04PM

[Q]Drew Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:

jmh30 Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:
He failed out of BU. What does that say regarding his stupidity?[/Q]
Point taken but college atheletes of that caliber do not fail out of school. [/Q]
Students of his caliber ( that being poor a student) do fail out.....that is why it is important to differentiate student athlete from athlete ( which borque seems to be)......my two cents......don't give me the RichS beating. [/q]

I may be wrong, but I think we might agree here. I'm saying that there are plenty of student-atheletes who are brutal in the classroom and would never be passed if they weren't atheletes. My point is that BU would have happily kept Bourque despite his shortcomings inside the classroom.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 04, 2005 09:39PM

That's what they have "tutors" for. Not the kind of tutors the athletics department puts struggling athletes in touch with, the kind the kind your buddy Dom puts struggling athletes in touch with. Plenty of student-athletes do this (duh). And plenty don't. Kind of like students in general.

Date: April 05, 2005 11:42AM

Without speculating on the integrity of BU professors and their grading, I'm sure that every effort would have been made to help Borque to pass his classes at BU if he wanted to. This is no guarantee that he wouldn't still[\i] fail out - athletes become academically ineligible all the time (though my sense is it's less in hockey than in squeak or football). But the kid has to at least want to pass his classes. Obviously Borque didn't, which is why I said he shouldn't be in college.

BTW - it's far from clear that he was failing out of BU either. He played in the spring so he obviously had sufficient grades in the fall to remain eligible. We have no way of knowing how well he was doing this semester. I doubt he was pulling A's (hard to do that when you don't care at all, even at BU :-P ) but he might well be smart/capable enough to get passing grades (esp. on an athlete's course load).

Date: April 05, 2005 11:54AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:
BTW - it's far from clear that he was failing out of BU either. He played in the spring so he obviously had sufficient grades in the fall to remain eligible. We have no way of knowing how well he was doing this semester. I doubt he was pulling A's (hard to do that when you don't care at all, even at BU ) but he might well be smart/capable enough to get passing grades (esp. on an athlete's course load).[/q]The part about him failing out was something I heard from a little birdie, I didn't make it up myself.

Date: April 05, 2005 12:58PM

Well, I can't argue with the birdies but I can't verify their accuracy either. Doesn't matter much to me either way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login