Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

For those who traveled to MN

Posted by TheDrunkenSquirrel 
For those who traveled to MN
Posted by: TheDrunkenSquirrel (128.118.236.---)
Date: March 31, 2005 12:29PM

I hope you enjoyed your trip to Minnesota as much as this Gopher fan enjoyed his to Ithaca. I was able to take in the Saturday Cornell-Clarkson playoff game at Lynah and had a great time. My friends and I thoroughly enjoyed the Chapter House and the Hot Truck. Hopefully some of you got to experience Al's Breakfast in Dinkytown.

As far as Gopher fans commenting on the number of Canadians on Cornell's roster, you must understand some things. Minnesota skated with an exclusively Minnesotan roster from 1987 to 2000, and played without a Canadian from 1986 until 2002. By my count only 17 Canadians have played at Minnesota in the history of the program, which began in 1921. Of course, this wasn't always the best philosophy, as no National Titles resulted, but much success was had under Doug Woog. If I remember correctly there was a 10 year run under Woog where the Gophers finished no lower than second in the WCHA. So, in short, Minnesotans are very proud that we field a team made up of mostly of Minnesotans.

It would be great if the powers that be would schedule MN-Cornell regular season games in the future. I hope to run into some Cornell fans in Columbus! Good luck next year!

Re: For those who traveled to MN
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 12:51PM

Have you been reading this board at all? rolleyes

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: March 31, 2005 01:18PM

[Q]TheDrunkenSquirrel Wrote:

It would be great if the powers that be would schedule MN-Cornell regular season games in the future. I hope to run into some Cornell fans in Columbus! Good luck next year!

[/q]
From comments made by Mike Schafer, I think Cornell would welcome the opportunity for another return trip to Mariucci, whether it's a two game series or perhaps we bring Colgate with us and each play you and Mankato, with you guys doing the opposite in the next (or preceding) year. You'll at least see a few of us wearing Cornell gear in Columbus. Good luck.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: March 31, 2005 01:19PM

[Q]TheDrunkenSquirrel Wrote:

I hope you enjoyed your trip to Minnesota as much as this Gopher fan enjoyed his to Ithaca. I was able to take in the Saturday Cornell-Clarkson playoff game at Lynah and had a great time. My friends and I thoroughly enjoyed the Chapter House and the Hot Truck. Hopefully some of you got to experience Al's Breakfast in Dinkytown.

[/q]

Speaking of Dinkytown, that's the first time I've seen a Starbucks closed on a late Sunday morning. Luckily Espresso Royale was open. Also, The Egg & I was closed out on Lyndale -- though French Meadows (I think) was a pretty cool breakfast place.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: March 31, 2005 01:58PM

To: Drunken Squirrel
We appreciate your insights (despite the snappy retort by Jeff H. above). It's always good to get a different perspective - so I hope you'll post here occasionally next season. From quickly reading the Gopher message board earlier in the week, I know there was some mixed reaction to the style of the Lynah Faithful, but mostly it's about being partisan and having some fun. It probably went unnoticed, but between the second and third period Sunday, when the Gopher was holding up the "We love #23" sign, the Cornell contingent was standing and applauding just as the Gopher fans were. We're all part of that same larger community, and we wish Tyler well.

Posted by: DKmathteacher (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 31, 2005 02:07PM

What's so special about an all-Minnesotan team? Unless you have something against the concept of diversity...

Posted by: TheDrunkenSquirrel (128.118.236.---)
Date: March 31, 2005 02:18PM

Why would a hockey coach care about the "diversity" of the team if said team is winning? Just curious.

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 04:00PM

Hey DrunkenSquirrel. I briefly met either you or your buddy (there were only 2 of you wearing Gopher jerseys over with the Clarkson fans) on the way out of Lynah after going on the ice. Glad to hear you had a good time in Ithaca (The Hot Truck is always a good choice), and got a chance to hear just how much noise can be made by < 4,000 people. Next time convince your hockey team to come along and our relatively slow team will show you what they can do with the Gophers in *our* friendly confines. ;-) Congrats on yet another trip to the Frozen Four.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 04:24PM

DrunkenSquirrel,
good to meet you down on the ice (i'm the guy in red #8 with the vest) and get a chance to talk for a bit. it sounds like you enjoyed the trip up to ithaca for some much needed college hockey. after this weekend, i agree that the mooch is a great building and i get a little scared when i imagine it full of Red fans, wow ... that would be loud [pictures Cameron indoor but in red]. anyway, here's hoping CU/MN can set up a series sometime soon. maybe the Gophers could come east and reopen the renovated Lynah akin to what they did at Agganis earlier this year.
hope to see you around the board adding some balance to our conspicuous "eastern bias." ;-)

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: March 31, 2005 04:36PM

[Q]DKmathteacher Wrote:

What's so special about an all-Minnesotan team? Unless you have something against the concept of diversity... [/q]

If you're a state school & you can fill all your recruiting needs with in-state players, plus a Vanek & Kessel here and there, why wouldn't you?

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 05:44PM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:

DKmathteacher Wrote:

What's so special about an all-Minnesotan team? Unless you have something against the concept of diversity... [/Q]
If you're a state school & you can fill all your recruiting needs with in-state players, plus a Vanek & Kessel here and there, why wouldn't you?
[/q]

Let's take a trip to Utopia for a second. An intercollegiate athletic team, in its purest form should be made up of students enrolled at a college or university that happen to want to play that sport. They would hold tryouts on campus, select a Varsity squad, and pit that school's best vs. the Varsity squads of other institutions for the sake of competition, activity, recreation, and amusement.

We all know that isn't true anymore. There are recruiting, money, admissions, and corruption issues abound, especially in the big-time sports of basketball and football. The concept of the "student-athlete" is ficticious at many universities. Every school competing at the D-1 level has hockey players who would not be attending that institution if it weren't for the hockey team...Cornell, Harvard, and Minnesota included. In today's world, it's a reality that schools have to actively recruit far and wide just to remain competetive. But at the very least, there is a perception that my utopia is still attainable for that rare student-athlete who values the opportunity to get a first-rate education in addition to competing at the highest level. Not to mention that with some of the minor, "non-money" sports it still holds.

It makes sense that Minnesota's rosters are made up of a large number of Minnesotans. You expect a large state school to draw mostly from in-state. However, I take issue with making a rule that the team MUST be made up entirely of Minnesotans, as Coach Woog did. What if there's a blue-chipper from Boston who decided to enroll at the U. to be near some close relatives? He has no chance at making the squad. What about the kid from South Dakota who came to study in a very specific educational program? "Sorry chester, we don't allow people from the other side of that line over there to play with our team." It's an exclusive, elitist policy and IMO, mean and wrong. Thankfully, having 100% MN rosters is no longer a rule.

Cornell and other large universities are international in scope, so why shouldn't all students be eligible for participation in campus activities? True that we recruit specifically for our hockey team, and a large number of our recruits are Canadian. But to answer your question with another question...if there are non-Minnesotans willing to attend Minnesota to get a great education and are good enough hockey players to make the team and contribute, why wouldn't you let them?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 06:36PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

However, I take issue with making a rule that the team MUST be made up entirely of Minnesotans, as Coach Woog did. What if there's a blue-chipper from Boston who decided to enroll at the U. to be near some close relatives? He has no chance at making the squad. What about the kid from South Dakota who came to study in a very specific educational program? "Sorry chester, we don't allow people from the other side of that line over there to play with our team." It's an exclusive, elitist policy and IMO, mean and wrong. Thankfully, having 100% MN rosters is no longer a rule.
[/q]

I couldn't agree more, and couldn't have said it better. I always wondered what would have happened if Ken Dryden had appeared one day at Snooks Kelley's office carrying his goalie stick and a BC acceptance letter.

Posted by: DKmathteacher (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 31, 2005 11:12PM

AMEN!!! :-D B-]

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 11:32PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

...if there are non-Minnesotans willing to attend Minnesota to get a great education and are good enough hockey players to make the team and contribute, why wouldn't you let them?[/q]

Rich, if you're asking in reply to my statement, my answer would be what I already said: If I could fill all my recruiting needs with in-state players, plus a Vanek & Kessel here and there, why wouldn't I? Or to paraphrase your statement, if there are Minnesotans who want to attend the U and take advantage of a Big 11 education and are talented enough hockey players to help the team, why wouldn't I take them? Obviously, the critical phrase is fill all my recruiting needs. I never said it was an either/or world.

As you point out we're talking about Division One athletics. If Cornell hockey wants to change their vision to your more utopian one than they can simply drop the sport down to Division Three or club level and open it up for the masses. By doing that you might also solve the student ticket line problem & eliminate the 4-7 year season ticket waiting list. Just think, you'd be famous:-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login