Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

McKee "Hobey Hat Trick"

Posted by duffs4 
McKee "Hobey Hat Trick"
Posted by: duffs4 (209.150.239.---)
Date: March 31, 2005 10:08AM

McKee makes the "Hobey Hat Trick" with two Colorado College players.

[www.insidecollegehockey.com]

Re: McKee "Hobey Hat Trick"
Posted by: READ THE OTHER THREADS! (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 10:12AM

Read the two other threads that have already posted it. You would think "duffs4" that somebody would've already posted this about 2 minutes after it came out, because the eLynah faithful are always looking for new information to post.

Posted by: duffs4 (209.150.239.---)
Date: March 31, 2005 10:31AM

Sorry I missed this one, I'm too excited: [elf.elynah.com]

Go McKee!

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 10:46AM

We're all excited. :-)

Posted by: msphi81 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 02, 2005 11:37AM

Anyone know the details of the Hobey award process? Are all three finalists introduced? Are any Cornell fans in the area going to Columbus to cheer for McKee? Lets go RED!!!!

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 02, 2005 11:45AM

If they still do it the way they did it in 2003 (and we have no reason to suspect otherwise), they'll have all three Hat Trick Finalists on stage, introduce each of them, show a short film about all three, and then announce the winner. I'm sure most, if not all, Cornellians who make the trip to Columbus will also be there on Friday for the announcement and to cheer Dave on.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: April 02, 2005 12:04PM

I'm not sure Cornellians are invited to the Hat Trick Awards, after John publicly exposed the committee's ignorance of their own selection system two years ago. ;-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2005 12:57PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2005 12:06PM

could we possibly get a recap of that for those who were not there in person?

Date: April 02, 2005 01:00PM

A brief recap of a 20 minute-long ass-whuppin':

John presented an authoritative, wells-spoken summary of many issues and gripes fully vetted on USCHO over the prior two months.

The Committee responded with "deer in the headlights," slack-jawed expressions of utter incomprehension.

The audience of several hundred fans tittered.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 02, 2005 01:06PM

Was it really 20 minutes?

Well, the main issue he talked about was how Cornell, as the #1 overall, needing to play a WCHA team instead of the AHA/CHA (or was it MAAC still?) team. But this only occurred because enough of the other #1s and #4s were WCHA.

However, the only reason the WCHA teams were the #4s, was become one of them lost the comparison to Dartmouth, a team not in the tournament. Had the committee used only the 16 teams in the tournament for seeding, they could have pushed SCSU (I think) up to #3 and Harvard to a #4. That would have allowed one of the upper WCHA teams to play Harvard, leaving a MAAC/CHA team for us.

"Deer in the headlights" is an appropriate description.

Did John air any other issues as well?

Date: April 02, 2005 01:13PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
Was it really 20 minutes?[/q]

It felt like 2 hours; I'm guessing 20 minutes. There were numerous iterations, to the point that the members started to cringe whenever anybody wearing red got to the mic.

It wasn't just that they couldn't answer a question here or there. They didn't understand a thing that was said. The spokesman eventually muttered some platitudes, but in sum it was a Special Ed performance by people who ostensibly understand and control the process. In the words of Sin City, "Yeesh."

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: April 02, 2005 01:20PM

To be fair to all of us, I hadn't planned on going up there ahead of time, so I didn't construct the most lucid exposition of my question. But I'd hoped that if they spend as much time staring at the comparisons as some of us did, they'd know what I was talking about.

Unfortunately, my question got confused with Steve Turner's more visceral one.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: msphi81 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 02, 2005 02:02PM

Returning to the subject topic "McKee Hobey Hat Trick"---Does anyone know the details of the Hobey award process? Are all three finalists introduced? Are any Cornell fans in the area going to Columbus to cheer for McKee? Lets go RED!!!!

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 02, 2005 02:04PM

I'm reasonably sure I answered that question the first time you asked it.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: April 04, 2005 04:27AM

I was at the 2003 awards rooting for Lenny, and I remember it exactly like Beeej said. If you are going, get there early so you can get a seat in the same room. Otherwise you will be in the same building as the award, but watching it on TV like someone 1000 miles away. After the award is presented there should be a chance to talk to the guys, get autographs if you want, etc. In '03 the whole team was there, so I was able to talk to and congratulate the players and Schafer a little bit (and told Lenny we really appreciated him and were hoping he would come back although it has certainly worked out ok). I doubt that will be the case this time since they are not playing.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2005 11:07AM

FWIW,
[www.elynah.com]

Date: April 04, 2005 12:07PM

I had forgotten that they did the Humanitarian Award then as well. It is pretty cool to see Paolini's jersey front and center. Who are the Cornell guys and what are they speaking about? I didn't get in to the main room and missed that I guess.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: April 04, 2005 12:14PM

I think I've lost weight.

Never mind, that's Beeeej. ;)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2005 10:35PM by Trotsky.

Date: April 04, 2005 12:18PM

Go to [www.hobeybaker.com] and you should find everything you need.

Date: April 04, 2005 01:40PM

Trotsky, Beeeej, and jtw, not necessarily in that order.

Edit: The captions have names, but they don't necessarily help with ELF handles =]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2005 01:41PM by CowbellGuy.

Hobey ceremony to be televised...
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 10:09AM

On Fox Sports affiliates (FOX Sports Detroit, FOX Sports New England, FOX Sports New York, FOX Sports North, FOX Sports Ohio, FOX Sports Rocky Mountain) at 2:30pm EDT.

Re: Hobey ceremony to be televised...
Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.research.cornell.edu)
Date: April 08, 2005 10:21AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

On Fox Sports affiliates (FOX Sports Detroit, FOX Sports New England, FOX Sports New York, FOX Sports North, FOX Sports Ohio, FOX Sports Rocky Mountain) at 2:30pm EDT.[/q]
Amazingly, according to Yahoo's TV listings, what used to be FSNY for Time Warner Tompkins County is now CSTV (and MSG is now the NBA network). Just right to be wrong.

Date: April 08, 2005 10:32AM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:

Amazingly, according to Yahoo's TV listings, what used to be FSNY for Time Warner Tompkins County is now CSTV (and MSG is now the NBA network). Just right to be wrong.[/q]

This has been in effect for a few weeks (perhaps months?) now. This was great when college hockey season was still in bloom, but now that the season is effectively over (I mean, who really cares about crowning a national champion anyway? :-P ) and baseball season is on, it's time for Cablevision to stop trying to rape Time Warner customers up the ass and give me back Fox Sports and MSG. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to happen in the next four hours. :-/

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: April 08, 2005 10:46AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

I don't think it's going to happen in the next four hours.[/q]

Or four months, probably.

And then Cablevision customers won't see Mets games next year when Time Warner -- part owners of the Metwork -- play hardball with Cablevision with regards to putting the station on their system.

Gotta love billionaire fighting billionaires....

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 11:53AM

I'll say it again, get DirecTV ;)

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: April 08, 2005 12:34PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

I'll say it again, get DirecTV [/q]

Right after I implode the high-rise to the south of my building...

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 12:48PM

Been poking around the hobey site...pretty impressive that Cornell has had 3 hobey finalists (and 2 hat trick finalists) in the past 4 years. Before Murray was up for the Hobey in 2002, the last Cornellian to be a finalist was some guy named Nieuwendyk in '87, when Tony Hrkac won.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2005 12:49PM by DisplacedCornellian.

Date: April 08, 2005 01:00PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

I'll say it again, get DirecTV [/q]

I will, as soon as I move to my new apartment in June. Until then, I will suffer along with Time Warner.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 02:33PM

So is anybody watching and going to let those of us with stupid stupid Time Warner Cable let us know when they make the announcement? nut

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 02:40PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

So is anybody watching and going to let those of us with stupid stupid Time Warner Cable let us know when they make the announcement? [/q]

ditto! Let us know what's going on! :-)

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 02:41PM

Or thoseof us out in "What's college hockey?" land, where the local Fox Sports affiliate is carrying a "How to become a Jaguar technician" infomercial. I kid you not.

Date: April 08, 2005 02:42PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:
Or thoseof us out in "What's college hockey?" land, where the local Fox Sports affiliate is carrying a "How to become a Jaguar technician" infomercial. I kid you not.[/q]You KNOW Age would be watching that if he had the chance. B-]

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 02:53PM

Is there anyway to get audio of the event?

Date: April 08, 2005 02:53PM

[Q]Brian Wrote:

Is there anyway to get audio of the event? [/q]

I've been looking and haven't found anything...should be over in a few minutes.

Posted by: Redscore (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 02:54PM

Sertich it is. Pretty lame.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.housing.hawaii.edu)

sertich won

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)

sertich wins it

Date: April 08, 2005 02:56PM

That's it. Season's over. Officially now.

[Q]Redscore Wrote:

Sertich it is. Pretty lame.[/q]

Too bad. Great experience for McKee, though, after a fantastic season.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)

No surprise, but a great season for McKee nonetheless, and the third different Cornell goalie in four seasons to be All American First Team!

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 02:58PM

Must be four years wasn't long enough!

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 02:59PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

KeithK Wrote:
Or thoseof us out in "What's college hockey?" land, where the local Fox Sports affiliate is carrying a "How to become a Jaguar technician" infomercial. I kid you not.[/Q]
You KNOW Age would be watching that if he had the chance. [/q]
For self-preservation, if you own one. help

Date: April 08, 2005 03:00PM

Oh well. Dave's got two more years to prove (to the doubters, that is, since there's no doubt in my mind anymore) that he's the real deal.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 03:00PM

Without any evidence to back me up I'll speculate that both McKee and LeNevue would have had a better shot had they not been sophomores. Hopefully we'll get to test that theory in Milwaukee and St. Louis.

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 03:16PM

My guess is that the primary reason McKee and LeNevue didn't win is not bias against sophomores or goalies, but the voters are strongly weighing strength of schedule when looking at the stats. I think until the ECAC is able to further improve its interconference record, put multiple teams in the Frozen Four, and/or win another National Championship, it's going to be an uphill battle for one of our own to win the Hobey. In any case congratulations to Sertich on winning it, and to McKee for an outstanding season and making the Hat Trick.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 03:58PM

Congrats to the Sertich family ........ if Mckee didn't win it, I defintely wanted him to. Very sad story.

Posted by: msphi81 (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 10:02PM

Cornell fans--Where were you? The best thing about the frozen four events was seeing David at the autograph signing for the Hobey "hat trick". Although we were very disappointed with the final outcome and were not impressed with CC's play last night it was interesting the number of CC fans that came up to us and recognized that David is in a special class as a goaltender.

We were most impressed with David and both CC players in the signing program. Mrs. McKee is a wonderful lady as well. She spotted my son, Jonathan, in a Cornell jersey and asked him to pose for a picture with her son David. When Jon went up to the signing table, both CC players said to him that David was really going to be happy to seeing a fan in a Cornell jersey. All three players were wonderful to both my boys during the signing process. Sure enough David's eyes lit up seeing at least one fan proud to wear his colors.

Although everyone in attendance was sensitive to the situation with Sertich's mom, David's mom is a special lady that should be recognized by Cornell hockey supporters. Mrs. McKee came to every game (from Texas). She spotted us as simply Cornell fans and spent about 15 minutes with us this afternoon talking about Cornell hockey, education, and the wonderful experience she and her family have had the past two years.

Frankly, I was embarassed that we appeared to be the only Cornell supporters at the Hobey award program. It's like we forgot about the guy that was the most important to the Cornell team. I'm glad and proud that I made the 1,000 mile trip. I only wish more of the elynah writers would have joined in.

Fans from Maine, CC, BU, North Dakota, BC, Ohio State, and Minnesota, to name just a few, all had kind words to say about Cornell, both our hockey program and our academics. However, given that we are the best college hockey fans in the country--we clearly let David down.

David clearly has the determination, drive, and desire to be back next year at the Hobey "hat trick". Hopefully both he and the team will be back for the Frozen Four.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 10:14PM

I really don't think it is fair to say that we let dave down. I don't think he feels we let him down, I don't think his parents think we let him down. Carl and Pat McKee are both very nice people, who will bend over backwards to do something for cornell fans. Mrs. McKee said to me one day early in the season that she and he husband were so suprised at how much everyone at cornell loved David and supported him, and how thankful they were that it was that way.

We didn't forget dave, it just wasnt possible for alot of us to be there. Classes are in session (Both at Cornell and Local High Schools), the team isn't there, and Colombus is a long drive to make just to watch an awards ceremony. Though I did skip my final class of the day at school so I could come home and watch the ceremony.

I think Dave understands all of this, and will not hold it against us.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: April 08, 2005 10:31PM

To add to Dpperk, when Leneveu was there, it was Buffalo, which is a close drive. Columbus is alot longer to go just for a 30 minute ceremony.

Posted by: Steve M (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 12:50AM

I live in California and would have been there, as I was in Buffalo 2 years ago, had Cornell been playing in the Frozen Four. Glad you were able to make it. I hope to be in Milwaukee next year to see the Red win a National Championship and David McKee win the Hobey.

Date: April 09, 2005 07:26AM

[Q]msphi81 Wrote:

Cornell fans--Where were you? [/q]

Saving my money for a trip to Milwaukee next year. :-D

Posted by: dss28 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 10:16AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

msphi81 Wrote:

Cornell fans--Where were you? [/Q]
Saving my money for a trip to Milwaukee next year.[/q]

Seconded. Hopefully some theatre companies will help me out :)

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 08:55PM

melrose just said again that he feels that mckee should have won the hobey baker. compared him to prior goalie winners. felt he was robbed due to the great cornell defense. (talked about it during 2nd intermission)

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 08:59PM

McKee: 'The right guy won' [www.uscho.com]

Date: April 09, 2005 10:39PM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:

McKee: 'The right guy won' [/q]

Say what you will about if McKee's numbers are inflated or not...nobody can deny that he's a classy guy.

Posted by: jkahn (---.143.0.202.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: April 10, 2005 12:31PM

[Q]msphi81 Wrote:

Cornell fans--Where were you? ...
Frankly, I was embarassed that we appeared to be the only Cornell supporters at the Hobey award program. [/q]
I was there, as were the Dickerson family and two chemistry grad students whose names I don't know - and that only accounts for a small cluster of us in three rows of one of the sections. I'm sure there were others as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2005 12:31PM by jkahn.

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 10, 2005 02:34PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Jacob '06 Wrote:

McKee: 'The right guy won' [/Q]
Say what you will about if McKee's numbers are inflated or not...nobody can deny that he's a classy guy.[/q]

Class act....great article. Great quotes....complete gentleman.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: April 10, 2005 11:15PM

[Q]msphi81 Wrote:

Frankly, I was embarassed that we appeared to be the only Cornell supporters at the Hobey award program. It's like we forgot about the guy that was the most important to the Cornell team. I'm glad and proud that I made the 1,000 mile trip. I only wish more of the elynah writers would have joined in. [/q]

RichH and I were there, but we arrived during the Hockey Humanitarian survey, so we were up in the bowl. I also spotted a few other Cornellians in the audience.

You have to keep in mind that CC was actually in the Frozen Four, like we were in 2003, so of course they had more supporters in town in the first place. It's a bit much to expect people to go to Columbus just to watch the Hobey ceremony. (We wouldn't have gone if McKee hadn't been in the running, even being in town.)

We were very vocal at the rink Thursday when they were showing the Hobey finalist profiles, chanting Dave's name, singing "Deep in the Heart of Texas", and also adding "Sieve-hyphen-Sieve" and "Fighting Deerticks" where appropriate.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: April 11, 2005 07:58AM

[Q]jy3 Wrote:

melrose just said again that he feels that mckee should have won the hobey baker. compared him to prior goalie winners. felt he was robbed due to the great cornell defense. (talked about it during 2nd intermission)[/q]

And that's the big problem - a great goalie will never even get noticed unless he has a good/great defense in front of him. The fact is, a goalie's numbers ARE a product of his own ability and the team in front of him. So whenever a goalie puts up eye-popping numbers, he is implicitly playing behind a good defense, so people always have to question the relative contribution of each. And if the goalie doesn't have a good enough defense in front of him to put up eye-popping numbers, he'll never even get noticed - Dominik Hasek couldn't have won the Hobey behind Yale's defense this year. Sure, he might have been able to lower thier GA from 4.38 to, say 3. But that ain't a Hobey season. Catch 22 - can't get noticed without a great defense, and then people question whether it's all because of the defense.

Date: April 12, 2005 11:05AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:
"How to become a Jaguar technician"[/q]
Buy a Ford Contour shop manual on eBay?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login