Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Chances for next year

Posted by 1979 
Chances for next year
Posted by: 1979 (---.stk-bsr1.chi-stk.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 08:36AM

What are the Big Red's prospects for next year? Can they be better?

Re: Chances for next year
Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 09:23AM

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: April 11, 2005 11:40AM

Even though there is an existing thread, it's ostensibly for recurits and it's really degenerated.

Chances for next year look, barring injury or defection by McKee or Moulson (neither of which is expected) as good or better than this year, which is pretty amazing considering Cornell '05 was the 50th best season in D-1 major conference history by winning percentage: [www.tbrw.info]

Goaltending: hey, same guy. He improved so dramatically between his freshman and sophomore seasons, he'll either plateau or get even better (a scary thought).

Defense: more firepower, less solid on D. Losing Cook and Downs may hurt more than we know, especially early in the season. Krantz looks like a great offensive talent; Pokulok is a strong two-way player, O'Bryne is... O'Byrne, love him or loath him.

Forwards: they need to find guys to replace Knoepfli's and Iggulden's tremendous role on the kill, but the maturation of the younger guys should make up that shortfall and then some. The freshman class could be important, with Connors allegedl a scoring machine who struggled with injuries last year. It sure looks like the offense in general could break out more than in any Schafer year.

Projected Roster: [www.tbrw.info]

I'd say it looks like it could be a really great year. A very solid chance at a dominant season in conference play and a top-5 ranking, and then it's the NCAA Crap Shoot again, with one year more of experience for the large senior class

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 11, 2005 02:30PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Even though there is an existing thread, it's ostensibly for recurits and it's really degenerated.

Chances for next year look, barring injury or defection by McKee or Moulson (neither of which is expected) as good or better than this year, which is pretty amazing considering Cornell '05 was the 50th best season in D-1 major conference history by winning percentage:

Goaltending: hey, same guy. He improved so dramatically between his freshman and sophomore seasons, he'll either plateau or get even better (a scary thought).

Defense: more firepower, less solid on D. Losing Cook and Downs may hurt more than we know, especially early in the season. Krantz looks like a great offensive talent; Pokulok is a strong two-way player, O'Bryne is... O'Byrne, love him or loath him.

Forwards: they need to find guys to replace Knoepfli's and Iggulden's tremendous role on the kill, but the maturation of the younger guys should make up that shortfall and then some. The freshman class could be important, with Connors allegedl a scoring machine who struggled with injuries last year. It sure looks like the offense in general could break out more than in any Schafer year.

Projected Roster:

I'd say it looks like it could be a really great year. A very solid chance at a dominant season in conference play and a top-5 ranking, and then it's the NCAA Crap Shoot again, with one year more of experience for the large senior class
[/q]

A good analysis. I am not that concerned about the D, because I trust in the coaching staff.

As long as McKee stays the same or improves, and someone steps up on the PK (Abbott perhaps?), there is no reason Cornell couldn't go at least as far as they did this year.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 11, 2005 02:34PM

[q]A good analysis. I am not that concerned about the D, because I trust in the coaching staff. [/q]Just to play devils advocate, you need more than just the coaching staff to win games. The early season defensive woes in Fall of 2003 point to this. Not that I'm saying that this will happen again, but the players have to respond to the system.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: April 11, 2005 03:20PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

A good analysis. I am not that concerned about the D, because I trust in the coaching staff. [/Q]
Just to play devils advocate, you need more than just the coaching staff to win games. The early season defensive woes in Fall of 2003 point to this. Not that I'm saying that this will happen again, but the players have to respond to the system.[/q]

That's right, plus if the defensemen struggle, there may be an adjustment to having the forwards play more conservatively/defensively, resulting in fewer scoring chances.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.music.cornell.edu)
Date: April 11, 2005 03:26PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

A good analysis. I am not that concerned about the D, because I trust in the coaching staff. [/Q]
Just to play devils advocate, you need more than just the coaching staff to win games. The early season defensive woes in Fall of 2003 point to this. Not that I'm saying that this will happen again, but the players have to respond to the system.[/q]

At least some of that was McKee's initial performance, which we hopefully won't revisit :-P

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: April 11, 2005 03:35PM

[Q]CUlater 89 Wrote:

KeithK Wrote:

Just to play devils advocate, you need more than just the coaching staff to win games. The early season defensive woes in Fall of 2003 point to this. Not that I'm saying that this will happen again, but the players have to respond to the system.[/Q]
That's right, plus if the defensemen struggle, there may be an adjustment to having the forwards play more conservatively/defensively, resulting in fewer scoring chances.[/q]

Or put more points on the board to compensate. :-)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 11, 2005 05:09PM

[Q
Or put more points on the board to compensate.

[/q]

That's usually not Schafer's m.o. He'll rein in the forwards to play D before opening up the offense.

That said, I'm not especially worried about the blueline. We're returning 4 guys who skated regularly, and one who played half the games because of injuries to the others. That's 5 d-men who already know the system. If Mike skates a frosh at that last position, he'll probably be paired up with Gleed, and we'll be fine.

I'm more concerned about losing Vart, Iggy, and Knoepfli's pressure on the opposition scorers. Someone (or two) is gonna have to pick up that role on the forward line and the PK. Look for McKee to be tested early until those roles are solidified.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login