Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Whither Mike Schafer?

Posted by billhoward 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rink size, speed and passing
Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 12:04PM

What about if we played on small ice but MN actually had their best forward (Hirsch) and one of their top PP defenseman (Goligoski) in the game? screwy

It's fine that we're all drinking the Kool-aid here on eLynah. I thought that we lost the UNH game in 2003, although again we had a very good team, for just about the same reasons: need a little more speed and a little more scoring punch. Lenny had one goal that he would have liked back but I think the better team won (and then got clobbered by MN 5-1).

But I do have the faith that we'll get there. Schafer should have no problems recruiting great goalies and d-men and one year we'll have a few snipers clicking together and we'll win the Big One. We just differ on how close we've been the last couple of years.

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 12:27PM

[Q]RatushnyFan Wrote:

What about if we played on small ice but MN actually had their best forward (Hirsch) and one of their top PP defenseman (Goligoski) in the game? [/q]

In that case I think Minnesota has a slight advantage, but not 70:30. I think the KRACH ratings would back me up on that. I'm not saying they're perfect, but you can use them to set odds on games, if you adjust for other factors like injuries, rink size etc.

[Q]RatushnyFan Wrote: I thought that we lost the UNH game in 2003, although again we had a very good team, for just about the same reasons: need a little more speed and a little more scoring punch. Lenny had one goal that he would have liked back but I think the better team won (and then got clobbered by MN 5-1).

[/q]

Can't argue that we lost, but unlike this year, I don't and never will believe the better team won. The waved off goal was a huge momentum swing and Lenny wasn't on his game until the 3rd period. It was extremely unusual for him to let in 2 goals on 3 shots in the 2nd period. Had we won, we might have had problems with Minny's even better speed, but hockey results aren't transitive, so you can't say that we would have lost just because UNH lost 5-1.

In any case the point I was making was that UNH didn't skate circles around us in those games, while the Gophers did for most of the 1st two periods, hence ice size does make a difference. I've watched a lot of hockey played by many different teams this year, and can assert that objectively. After only several minutes of the Ohio St. game, I knew we would have our hands full, and then some, with Minnesota at the Mooch.

Re: Rink size statistics
Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 01:06PM

here are some number for thought, conclude whatever you like:

Atlantic Hockey: 8/9 play on 200'x85' 
                 1/9 (army)plays on 200'x90'

CCHA: 10/12 play on 200'x85
      2/12 (NMU, UAF) play on 200'x100'

CHA: 6/6 play on 200'x85'

ECACHL: 9/12 play on 200'x85'
        2/12 (UVM and DC) play on 200'x90'
        1/12 (sucks) plays on 204'x87' 

Hockey East: 4/9 play on 200'x85'
	     1/9 (BC) plays on 200'x87'
             2/9 (N'estrn, BU) play on 200'x90'
	     1/9 (Umass) plays on 200'x95' 
	     1/9 (UHN) plays on 200'x100' 

WCHA:  3/10 (DU, MTU) play on 200'x85'
       1/10 (UMD) plays on 190'x85'
       1/10 (Wisc) plays on 200'x97'
       5/10 play on Olympic 200'x'100'

Total Division I hockey teams: 58 teams

69% (40/58) teams play on 200'x85'
14% (8/58) teams play on 200'x100'
9% (5/58) teams play on 200'x90'
9% (5/58) teams play on some variation in between

Re: Rink size statistics
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 01:15PM

Anybody know the planned dimensions for the as-yet-theoretical new rink at Quinny?

Re: Whither Mike Schafer?
Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 02:07PM

Wow, makes me want to go see a game at UMD. Must be like ol' Walker.

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 02:14PM

Jackie-boy?

Posted by: cth95 (---.dsl.westelcom.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 03:25PM

Do you mean 4th best of all time or that year? Dryden, McKee, LeNeveau, Cropper, Underhill, Duffis, Elliot. Did I hit his name yet? I am not totally trying to be funny, I am just curious of whom we are referring.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 03:29PM

[Q]Steve M Wrote:
In any case the point I was making was that UNH didn't skate circles around us in those games, while the Gophers did for most of the 1st two periods, hence ice size does make a difference.[/q]

That isn't really a "hence," since it doesn't logically follow that if we were more evenly matched against UNH than Minny that the ice must have been difference. Cornell 2005 may be < Cornell 2003, and/or Minny 2005 > UNH 2003.

Date: March 31, 2005 03:33PM

Fair enough. I should have said "most likely" instead of hence. In any case as far as speed goes I do think Minn 2005 > UNH 2003, but I also think Cornell 2005 > Cornell 2003, even though the 2003 team was better overall.

Date: March 31, 2005 03:34PM

I'd agree with that.

Date: March 31, 2005 03:35PM

He meant in the fall 2002, when nyiballs was a walk-on backup for the Red.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2005 05:00PM

What the hell are you agreeing to, Greg? You don't reply to messages and you didn't quote anything.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 05:16PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

What the hell are you agreeing to, Greg? You don't reply to messages and you didn't quote anything.[/q]

all you crazy threaded kids. with the flat view, everything makes sense :) he's replying to the post right above his...

Date: March 31, 2005 06:57PM

Given that it came in one minute later, I'm pretty sure he is agreeing with my assessment of comparative team speed in my last post titled: "Rink size, speed, and passing."

Date: April 11, 2005 02:07PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

What the hell are you agreeing to, Greg? You don't reply to messages and you didn't quote anything.[/q]

The one directly above. Thread view is suck.

Date: April 11, 2005 02:22PM

Which is of course not to say (see, replying to the one above again), that the eLynah thread view in particular is suck. Scrolling all the messages is more convenient than having to click each message within each thread. I'll try to quote more often to avoid angering the forum gods.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 11, 2005 02:42PM

I agree that it's really annoying to have to click on each and every message in threaded view. OTOH, I am very glad that there are topic threads. An overall flat view like the old Clarkson Round Table would be equally annoying, especially when folks get sidetracked into discussions of Phil Collins. :-P

I do try to hit reply to help our threaded brethren.

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: April 11, 2005 04:22PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

CowbellGuy Wrote:

What the hell are you agreeing to, Greg? You don't reply to messages and you didn't quote anything.[/Q]
The one directly above. Thread view is suck.[/q]You've stumbled onto the solution Greg (and I'd appreciate it if you kept using it). You are often replying to posts that have been separated by a comment or five, so your answers are inscrutable without backtracking. Using "quote this post" keeps the answer nested with its thread AND allows flat view readers to figure out what you are talking about. (I'm a flat view guy myself.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2005 04:22PM by ugarte.

Date: April 11, 2005 04:33PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:
Using "quote this post" keeps the answer nested with its thread AND allows flat view readers to figure out what you are talking about. (I'm a flat view guy myself.)[/q]
I know. The problem is the default reply box at the bottom. It is (I suppose) a reply to the most recent post. But in flat world, that has zero meaning, and you need to continualy remember not to use it if replying to any post except the most recent, while at the same time, being in flat world, you're never thinking in terms of threads.

The solution is clearly to disable the default reply box. I can't be trusted with it. ;-)

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 11, 2005 06:16PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

The solution is clearly to disable the default reply box. I can't be trusted with it. [/q]

Or maybe just disable it for Greg, since the rest of are quite capable of controlling our replying impulses. :-P

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2005 08:02PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

I agree that it's really annoying to have to click on each and every message in threaded view. [/q]

And, to defend the threaded people, it's easier for me to click on what's typically the limited number of new messages than to figure out what I've read and what I haven't in flat view. If there are a lot of new messages, I just switch over to flat for that thread, then switch back. Pretty simple, in my opinion...but that's just me :-)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2005 08:08PM

[Q]Liz '05 Wrote:

KeithK Wrote:

I agree that it's really annoying to have to click on each and every message in threaded view. [/Q]
And, to defend the threaded people, it's easier for me to click on what's typically the limited number of new messages than to figure out what I've read and what I haven't in flat view. If there are a lot of new messages, I just switch over to flat for that thread, then switch back. Pretty simple, in my opinion...but that's just me [/q]
That's me, too, Liz. Easy.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 11, 2005 08:11PM

The key is to just read the forum compulsively. Then there are never more than one or two new messages per thread and it's easy to find your spot in flat view. Now Lockheed might not approve of this, but I'm not asking...

Date: April 11, 2005 09:13PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

The key is to just read the forum compulsively. Then there are never more than one or two new messages per thread and it's easy to find your spot in flat view. Now Lockheed might not approve of this, but I'm not asking...[/q]

Our tax dollars (indirectly) at work. :-P

Posted by: jas (66.9.198.---)
Date: April 11, 2005 09:45PM

Whoa, flat view? How do I switch views? Praise be to all things holy and Cornell hockey. This may stave off carpal tunnel for another couple of weeks.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2005 10:01PM

[Q]jas Wrote:

Whoa, flat view? How do I switch views? Praise be to all things holy and Cornell hockey. This may stave off carpal tunnel for another couple of weeks.[/q]

Click "switch view" at the top :-)

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 11, 2005 11:11PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

KeithK Wrote:

The key is to just read the forum compulsively. Then there are never more than one or two new messages per thread and it's easy to find your spot in flat view. Now Lockheed might not approve of this, but I'm not asking...[/Q]
Our tax dollars (indirectly) at work.[/q]Proud to serve!

Posted by: judy (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 11, 2005 11:13PM

gotta love off season chatter!
anyone still feeling the end of hockey lows?

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2005 11:16PM

[Q]jas Wrote:

Whoa, flat view? How do I switch views? Praise be to all things holy and Cornell hockey. This may stave off carpal tunnel for another couple of weeks.[/q]

(I'm not sure if you are already, but) You have to be logged in to switch views.

If you're not registered, there should be something at the top that allows you to do so. You get the ability to 1) switch to flat view for long game and post-game threads (and other such threads that seem to grow exponentially) and 2) see what messages you've already read without having to remember when you last visited elynah, courtesy of a nifty red "new." I'm sure there are other perks...but these are the only ones I care about :-)

Date: April 11, 2005 11:21PM

[Q]judy Wrote:

anyone still feeling the end of hockey lows?[/q]

Yes, but for the first time in a few seasons, I'm actually looking forward with optimism for the future of Cornell hockey. Not that I don't think our senior class will be missed, but I really do think that we will be able to reload into something better next year.

Date: April 12, 2005 10:29AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:

The solution is clearly to disable the default reply box. I can't be trusted with it. [/Q]
Or maybe just disable it for Greg, since the rest of are quite capable of controlling our replying impulses.[/q]

I can't argue with that...

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login