Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

TBRW Awards

Posted by Trotsky 
TBRW Awards
Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 10:05AM

Nominate. Expound. And slander the other candidates. (OK, not really).

Here are the categories and former winners: [www.tbrw.info]

Peter Natyshak Award, Career Improvement. This award is open to seniors or in the very rare case when no senior has demonstrated above average career improvement, juniors. The award measures how well the player has improved since starting at Cornell.

Randy MacFarlane Award, Transcendent Beauty and Skating Prowess. Title says it all. Anne's favorite award.

Dave Shippel Award, Scrappiness and Effort. This award, which is associated with the longest-running typo in TBRW? history ("scappiness";), generally goes to a player who plays bigger than his size or "better than his talent."

Terry Gage Award, Determination in a Supporting Role. This award generally goes to an athlete whose contributions do not show up in the box score. It often goes to an unexpected player who comes out of the pack to really contribute a particular skill as a role player.

Mike Schafer Award, Leadership and Passion. This award needs no explanation.

Pierre Belanger Award, Most Loathed Referee. Nor does this one.

John Carter Award, Most Respected Opponent. This award generally goes to an opposing player who has both ferociously skewered Cornell and who we would take in a heartbeat for one of our own. It is based on his performance against us only in games this year.

Kevan Melrose Award, Least Respected Opponent. This award goes to the guys who, when you scream "Sucks!" you really mean it. The bad and the ugly. The goon, the cheap shot artist, the whiner, the showboat. The asshole.

Doug Dadswell Award, Most Valuable Freshman. Define it however you want. Open only to freshman, not transfers.

Joe Nieuwendyk Award, Most Valuable Player. Again, define it however you want, as long as you consider only this year's performance.

Here are the automatic awards:

Duane Moeser Award, Leading Point Scorer: Moulson.
Chris Norton Award, Leading Scorer, Defensemen: Cook.
Brian Hayward Award, Leading Goaltender: Duh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2005 11:25PM by Trotsky.

Re: TBRW Award Nominations
Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: March 28, 2005 10:28AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote: Peter Natyshak Award, Career Improvement. This award is open to seniors or in the very rare case when no senior has demonstrated above average career improvement, juniors. The award measures how well the player has improved since starting at Cornell.[/Q]
This should be the easiest decision in the history of your TBRW awards. In fact, there needs to be some kind of special MegaNaty this year. Hate to sound like a broken record, but in 30+ years I have never seen any Cornell hockey player improve so much over three/four years as Mike Iggulden -- and not just in terms of production, but all the intangible leadership stuff too. Amazing. Now that I think about it, I bet I've never witnessed any Cornell athlete in any sport improve as much as Iggulden.

I like Alex's idea (below) of renaming the Natyshak Award. It should be the Iggy.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2005 03:15PM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 10:31AM

Peter Natyshak Award, Career Improvement. This award is open to seniors or in the very rare case when no senior has demonstrated above average career improvement, juniors. The award measures how well the player has improved since starting at Cornell.

Mike Iggulden

Randy MacFarlane Award, Transcendent Beauty and Skating Prowess. Title says it all. Anne's favorite award.

Jeremy Downs

John Carter Award, Most Respected Opponent. This award generally goes to an opposing player who has both ferociously skewered Cornell and who we would take in a heartbeat for one of our own. It is based on his performance against us only in games this year.

Jamie Sifers

Kevan Melrose Award, Least Respected Opponent. This award goes to the guys who, when you scream "Sucks!" you really mean it. The bad and the ugly. The goon, the cheap shot artist, the whiner, the showboat. The asshole.

Tanner Glass or Jay Latullipe

Dave Shippel Award, Scrappiness and Effort. This award, which is associated with the longest-running typo in TBRW? history ("scappiness";), generally goes to a player who plays bigger than his size or "better than his talent."

Topher Scott

Terry Gage Award, Determination in a Supporting Role. This award generally goes to an athlete whose contributions do not show up in the box score. It often goes to an unexpected player who comes out of the pack to really contribute a particular skill as a role player.

Mike Iggulden

Mike Knoepfli

John Murphy

Doug Dadswell Award, Most Valuable Freshman. Define it however you want. Open only to freshman, not transfers.

Topher Scott

Joe Nieuwendyk Award, Most Valuable Player. Again, define it however you want, as long as you consider only this year's performance.

Mike Iggulden
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2005 11:34AM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: Facetimer (---.toddweld.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 10:33AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

[/q]

Ryan O'Byrne

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.mobility-dn.psu.edu)
Date: March 28, 2005 10:33AM

Peter Natyshak-
I have to second what Hillel said (though I disagreed with the many who said Iggy was so inadequate to begin with). This is obviously Iggulden's.

Mike Schafer-
I know the default is probably to give it to the captain anyway, but I think Knoepfli's earned this as much as most previous recipients.

Kevan Melrose-
A certain hack from Harvard...

Posted by: KateWithThe8 (128.8.221.---)
Date: March 28, 2005 10:36AM

"Kevan Melrose Award, Least Respected Opponent. This award goes to the guys who, when you scream "Sucks!" you really mean it. The bad and the ugly. The goon, the cheap shot artist, the whiner, the showboat. The asshole. "

No question: Noah Welch. I think the middle fingers to the crowd and numerous cheap shots speak for themselves. The only good thing about him is that he's a senior. Besides, we all know Smuckers is better :-)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 10:48AM

I mostly agree with Ari, except I abstain on the Pierre and nominated McKee for the Nieuwy. And the opponent awards are for individuals, not teams. Welch is obvious for the Melrose. Any ideas for the Carter?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 11:01AM

I'd consider giving the Carter to Silverthorn. It seems like he definitely brings his A game to play against Cornell.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 11:14AM

Peter Natyshak Award, Career Improvement. - Mike Iggulden. Honorable mentions: Paul Varteressian, and for juniors, Dan Pegoraro.

Randy MacFarlane Award, Transcendent Beauty and Skating Prowess. - Jeremy Downs. Honorable mention: Chris Abbott.

Dave Shippel Award, Scrappiness and Effort. - Nobody's bigger than his size than Topher Scott. Honorable mention: Doug Krantz. Not that I think he's not big enough, but I didn't think he'd do this well as a freshman.

Terry Gage Award, Determination in a Supporting Role. - Chris Abbott. He may not be big on point production, but he's grown into a great faceoff man in these post-Vesce days. Honorable mention: Jeremy Downs. Again not a point scorer, but he's one of the best defensive defensemen I've ever seen.

Mike Schafer Award, Leadership and Passion. - Mike Knoepfli. Honorable mentions: Mike Iggulden and Charlie Cook. (Does this award ever go to a non-captain/assistant?)

Pierre Belanger Award, Most Loathed Referee. - Peter Feola. Honorable mention: Kevin Hall (though I think this might decline in my mind over time).

John Carter Award, Most Respected Opponent. Tyler Burton of Colgate. Honorable mention: Joe Fallon of Vermont.

Kevan Melrose Award, Least Respected Opponent. - Noah Welch of Harvard. (Dis)Honorable mentions: Jay Latulippe and David Cayer of Clarkson, and pretty much the entire Brown goon squad.

Doug Dadswell Award, Most Valuable Freshman. - Sasha Pokulok (at least while he wasn't injured). Honorable mentions: Doug Krantz, Raymond Sawada, Topher Scott. Can't really argue against any of our freshmen, really. (Except maybe Troy Davenport.)

Joe Nieuwendyk Award, Most Valuable Player. - David McKee. Honorable mentions: Mike Iggulden, Jeremy Downs, and Matt Moulson.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 28, 2005 11:28AM

Mike Iggulden

Jeremy Downs

Topher Scott

Mitch Carefoot

Mike Knoepfeli

Murphy Boys.

Nobody really skewered us this year, but I think Lee Stempniak is the best player in the ECAC.

Jay Latulippe

Topher Scott

Matt Moulson

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 11:34AM

Pierre Belanger Award, Most Loathed Referee. - Anyone named Murphy? If I had to pick one I'd pick D. Murphy, based on the regular occurances, but F. Murphy perhaps turned in one of the single worst performances I've seen this year at Yale. Feola was fine in the title game in Albany.

John Carter Award, Most Respected Opponent. What about Dov Grummet-Morris? Hate him on the ice, but that guy has been a rock. The Harvard radio guys (I refuse to dignify them with any greater term) may be way overboard with him, but 4 years of frustrating the faithful (often) and competing almost favorably with LeNeveu and McKee says a lot. Its a shame he had to go out with a whimper (both this year and all 3 others), that guy had one hell of a college career.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 12:43PM

No contest here: Mike Iggulden.

Jeremy Downs

Not sure about this one. I think Hyphen deserves an honorable mention. I'll go with Burton from Colgate...I think he's going to give us fits in the years ahead.

Jay Latullipe: I friggin' hate that guy.

Topher Scott: who can play more bigger than his size than Topher? (Did I just say "more bigger"....)

Mike Iggulden. I didn't expect him to have the year he did.

Got to stick with captain Knoepfli on this one.

I've grown to despise all things Murphy.

Tie: Topher Scott/Sasha Pokoluk.

Dave McKee. Honorable mentions to Moulson and Iggulden.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 02:48PM

Mike Iggulden Like some of the other awards, This award needs no explanation ;-)

I really don't know I would default to Jeremy Downs because I know he's a great skater but there was something special about Iggy exploding to pick off a pass on the kill and skate down the ice on a shorty.

Topher Scott He is talented, don't be confused, but his work ethic and determination along the boards stood out among a team known for its work ethic. And the kid is probably 5'6" on skates.

Chris Abbott With Pegs, Abbott was a faceoff monster. For some perspective: Pegs had 23 points, Iggy had 18, Chris Abbott had 13, Downs had 8. I think Downs is an exceptional second choice. Both Downs and Chris Abbott played in every single game and the only player with similar points as Downs to play every game was Ray Sawada.

edit: Will already made this argument so I agree with Will! ;-)

Mike Knoepfli

I would like to say first that Kotyra is the best referee, IMO, and I got nervous when I saw he wasn't doing the ECAC championship game.

Marco Hunt for his 28 called penalties in the BC farse.

Dominic Vicari, MSU 53 shots faced, only one goal. The only goal he let in was a screamer from Krantz that banged off of the post, and rebounded off of his pad into the net (McKee saved a similar shot that day). If we had beaten MSU would we have been in Minneapolis?

Honorable mention goes Fritsche, OSU. He skated circles around us until he got slammed into the open bench door.

Noah Welch The two on one he got beat on in the ECAC final is a fitting way for him to close out his Harvard career. I'm sure he's a great guy, but he's an over rated hockey player. A good hockey player? Yes. One of the best defensemen in all of collegehockey? Er, no.

Topher Scott Topher became the QB of the PP and his fearlessness is fun to watch. This class is awesome! Two freshmen played every single game, Raymond Sawada and Topher Scott. Sasha is clearly going to be a stud once he plays the body more (he has already improved in that area this campaign). Krantz has one heck of a heavy shot.

a tie, why not? Matt Moulson and David McKee Someone needs to massage the stats and figure out who won us more games. Everyone will talk about McKee (although impossible for the skaters, I find it amazing that he so successfully logged nearly every minute of the entire season) so I'll focus on Moulson. A number of times this season, like at Union, I saw Moulson score a screamer on his back heels from the slot that picked out the upper corner and that absolutely changed the game. 22 goals, 42 points? Nasty. I thought Moulson used his body quite a bit more this season and he was Schafers representative to the refs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2005 02:57PM by atb9.

Posted by: sockralex (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 03:12PM

Peter Natyshak Award, Career Improvement.

MIKE IGGULDEN Although I believe he should have a new award named after him because of his awesomeness this year. That's right, I said awesomeness.

CHRIS ABBOTT

Dave Shippel Award, Scrappiness and Effort.

TOPHER SCOTT

Terry Gage Award, Determination in a Supporting Role.

DANIEL PEGORARO

Mike Schafer Award, Leadership and Passion.

CHARLIE COOK I think it was a toss up between him and Knoepfli, but I believe he came on very strong towards the end of the season and his defense throughout the year was a very solid.

Pierre Belanger Award, Most Loathed Referee.

Anyone named MURPHY

John Carter Award, Most Respected Opponent.

No opinion on this one.

Kevan Melrose Award, Least Respected Opponent.

NOAH WELCH Harvard's captain, leader, goon

Doug Dadswell Award, Most Valuable Freshman.

TOPHER SCOTT I think Scott really stood out. If Pokulok didn't get injured he would probably have this one and Krantz really stepped up this year, but Topher gets my nomination.

Joe Nieuwendyk Award, Most Valuable Player.

MIKE IGGULDEN I know a lot of people would say David McKee, after all he is nominated for the Hobey. I will have to go with Iggy on this one. SIX game winning goals, FOUR shorthanded goals (after a season with zero for the entire team) including the one which arguably turned our season around in Union. He may not have had as many points as Moulson but I believe that he played with a lot of heart in every shift and thus gets my MVP nod.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 03:43PM

Jay Latulip

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 03:47PM

Is there room for a Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda Award for the player who would have won one of the other awards if he hadn't been injured at leat a third of the season?

Posted by: dbilmes (---.37.79.112.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 03:59PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

F. Murphy perhaps turned in one of the single worst performances I've seen this year at Yale[/q]

Agreed.

Posted by: gobigred24 (---.lib.upenn.edu)
Date: March 28, 2005 04:10PM

MIKE IGGULDEN. Is there any doubt?

Jeremy Downs

Topher Scott

Mitch Carefoot- edging out Chris Abbot and Dan Pegoraro, if only because he gets even less recognition, but will be next year's Iggy.

Mike Schafer Award, Leadership and Passion.

Knoepfli. Came to play every night for four years. One of my favorite players to watch.

Pierre Belanger Award, Most Loathed Referee.

The entire ECAC officiating team. Just one? Murphy, your choice

Silverthorn. I wouldn't trade McKee for him, but he also gave us fits

Welch and LaTullip. I am going to miss them, in a perverse way.

Topher Scott. Somewhat disappointed Sawada didn't play well enough to win it.

Matt Moulson. Couldn't argue with McKee, but the Red are a great defensive team, and Moulson had to shoulder most of the offensive burden this year, and in the process put together one of the best years by a Cornell forward in a long time.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2005 04:13PM by gobigred24.

Posted by: mgl11 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 04:35PM

Kevin McLeod for his performance on the skating treadmill

<for those who haven't seen the video, about 3/4 of the way down the page [www.uscho.com] >

Date: March 28, 2005 04:39PM

[Q]mgl11 Wrote:

Kevin McLeod for his performance on the skating treadmill

<for those who haven't seen the video, about 3/4 of the way down the page >[/q]

Some of that actually made it into a CSTV commercial this weekend.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 04:53PM

Natyshak - Iggulden
MacFarlane - Downs
Shippel - Scott
Gage - Varteressian
Schafer - Knoepfli
Belanger - Dell
Carter - Stempniak
Melrose - Welch
Dadswell - Pokulok
Nieuwendyk - McKee

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 08:36PM

Mike Iggulden - No Question

Jeremy Downs - Runner up Chris Abbott

Jamie Sifers - VT

Noah Welch

Topher Scott - Runner up Chris Abbott

Mike Iggulden - Runner up Abbott Brothers, Daniel Peggararo

Mike Knoepfli

John Murphy - Runner up - Both his brothers

Topher Scott- Sasha Pokoluk - Tie

Dave McKee - Matt Moulson - Tie

Posted by: nyiballs (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 11:53PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:
[/q]

Hyphen-Hyphen

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: March 29, 2005 12:36AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

[/q]

Your right. This is a slam dunk. Davenport had a 0.00 GAA and a 1.000 save percentage. McKee's numbers were good but he just can't compete with those stats. We sure are gonna miss him.

Do I really need a smiley?

Date: March 29, 2005 12:55AM

[Q]Roy 82 Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:

[/Q]
Your right. This is a slam dunk. Davenport had a 0.00 GAA and a 1.000 save percentage. McKee's numbers were good but he just can't compete with those stats. We sure are gonna miss him.

Do I really need a smiley?[/q]

I'll say this about Davenport: Nobody has beaten him. :-P

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 02:23AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Roy 82 Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:

[/Q]

Do I really need a smiley?[/Q]
I'll say this about Davenport: Nobody has beaten him.[/q]

By the way, so far this season for the Des Moines Bucs of the USHL (i.e. since leaving Cornell), he's 5-5-1 with a 3.23 GAA and a .905 save percentage.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2005 02:24AM by Avash '05.

Date: March 29, 2005 06:59AM

BTW, not a TBRW? award, but who do we like for the Crimson Cup? My money's on McKee, with 2 GA in three games.

Date: March 29, 2005 07:20AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

BTW, not a TBRW? award, but who do we like for the Crimson Cup? My money's on McKee, with 2 GA in three games.[/q]

Perhaps, but I'm thinking it'll be Charlie Cook, scoring two goals in the game against Harvard that probably counted the most.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: March 29, 2005 09:45AM

Ok...here's goes...first time I've done this without reading everybody else's picks first :-)

I'll go Iggy, although I don't think Knoepfli is too far behind.

Randy MacFarlane Award, Transcendent Beauty and Skating Prowess.
Jeremy Downs

I'll go Knoepfli, because I gave the Natyshak to Iggy

Dan Pegoraro

Mike Iggulden

I don't pay attention to this really. I'll go Dupree because his name fits nicely into the rope/tree cheer.

Steve Silverthorn...I just couldn't bring myself to say "Dov" Edit: I guess if I have to pick just based on this year, I wouldn't go Silverthorn. But I still can't make myself say Hyphen

Dan Fridgen. If I have to go player, Noah Welch

Topher Scott

David McKee

Here are the automatic awards:

Duane Moeser Award, Leading Point Scorer: Moulson.
Chris Norton Award, Leading Scorer, Defensemen: Cook.
Brian Hayward Award, Leading Goaltender: Duh. Louis Chabot. Hands down.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2005 09:50AM by Jordan 04.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 10:09AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:

BTW, not a TBRW? award, but who do we like for the Crimson Cup? My money's on McKee, with 2 GA in three games.[/Q]
Perhaps, but I'm thinking it'll be Charlie Cook, scoring two goals in the game against Harvard that probably counted the most.[/q]
Could we rename this the Sam Paolini Award (although that could mean a few things) and add it to TBRW? :)

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: March 29, 2005 10:15AM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:
I'll go Iggy, although I don't think Knoepfli is too far behind.[/q]
I agree that Knoepfli showed some improvement over the course of his career, but with all due respect, that's bonkers. If I'm not mistaken, Knoepfli had almost as many points in his freshman year (about 15 -- quite high for a rook) as Iggulden had in his freshman, sophomore, and junior years combined! I repeat: This award should be renamed the Iggy.

Edit: I looked it up. Here's another way to look at it. Knoepfli had nearly three times as many points in the 30+ games of his freshman year as Iggulden had in his freshman and sophomore years, when Iggy scored a combined SIX points over 45+ games.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2005 12:14PM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 07:46PM

Hillel,

Don't worry. Iggy won the Natyshak on January 14th. Since then, he's lapped himself. I agree, this is the single easiest subjective award in TBRW history.

This year's awards are, frankly, straightforward. I did want to see whether people who saw 3x or 4x as many games as I during the year thought differently, but in the main their nominations are a confirmation that the games I saw were not outliers.

One more day for last call.

Date: March 29, 2005 07:58PM

Do you have any inclination to change the name of an award (i.e., the Natyshak becomes the Iggulden) if a better namesake comes along? Or will the awards always be named what they are now?

Date: March 29, 2005 10:21PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Do you have any inclination to change the name of an award (i.e., the Natyshak becomes the Iggulden) if a better namesake comes along? Or will the awards always be named what they are now?[/q]

Maybe Greg can add a new Mike Iggulden award for most short-handed goals. :-D

Posted by: dbilmes (---.37.79.112.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 10:29PM

Iggy

Jeremy Downs

Topher Scott

Jeremy Downs

Mike Knoepfeli

any of the Florida refs

Dov Grumet-Morris

Noah Welch

Topher Scott

David McKee

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 09:31AM

[Q]Will Wrote:
Do you have any inclination to change the name of an award (i.e., the Natyshak becomes the Iggulden) if a better namesake comes along? Or will the awards always be named what they are now?[/q]

I have no inclination to change the names. The awards honor players from a period for which I have a personal affection (when I was a student, plus the first ECAC championship I witnessed). Since they are explicitly "one fan's opinion," (albeit with invited heckling from the general community) I feel comfortable linking them with the people who I directly blame for my addiction.

However, this does not preclude the creation of new awards.

(Pinter pause)

That was foreshadowing.

Date: March 30, 2005 10:02AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

However, this does not preclude the creation of new awards.

(Pinter pause)

That was foreshadowing.[/q]

Sounds good to me.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 01:52PM

Iggy. (Duh)

Chris Abbott

Scott

Pegoraro

Knoepfli

D. Murphy. Though the CCHA asshole who reffed the game at Mariucci Sunday made a real run at this one

Kevin Du. Definitely a Schafer-esque player

LaTulippe

Pokulok

McKee

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 08:27PM

Mike Iggulden. I was one of the few fans of his early in his career, and his wrist injury he suffered his freshman year hampered his stats. But I can't pick against the masses. Any other year, this is Varteressian's.

tie. Mike Iggulden/Sasha Pokulok. I have two videos of individual goals from 2005 saved on my hard drive. Both are Mike Iggulden goals. Both define beauty. It will now be referred to as "The Move." However, I can't let this opportunity go by without giving Pokulok some recognition. His moves made opponents look silly.

Topher Scott. An early favorite to win this for 4 years.

Daniel Pegoraro.

Mike Knoepfli. His performance at Appleton finally made me a believer in this team.

*Vacant*

Kevin Du. Hell, he's even got the Lynah Faithful screaming his name...and without a "sucks!" His workman-like goal sank us at Bright, and he's valuable on faceoffs. If he wore a brighter shade of Red, his name would be echoed often around Lynah. Hard to argue against Sifers, too. That guy is a great leader, and was one of the best captains in the league.

Noah Welch. Can't think of many people who rode so much media hype with such little actual skill. The Harvard SID sure did a fine job pumping up his reputation...somehow.

Doug Krantz. The defense was banged up, and Krantz got his chance for ice time...and thrived. That was very valuable. He even wound up turning up the pressure from the blueline. We're thinner in numbers on defense than in previous years, and to have a "fill-in" step up like he did...my early vote for Pokulok gets changed to Krantz.

Matt Moulson

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 11:03PM

The envelope please: [www.tbrw.info]

2005 TBRW? Awards
Duane Moeser Award, Leading Point Scorer.
Matt Moulson. 22-20-42, winning the award in back-to-back seasons, and becoming the first 20 goal scorer for Cornell in 9 seasons.

Chris Norton Award, Leading Scorer, Defensemen.
Charlie Cook. 9-13-22, also picking up the award as both a junior and senior.

Brian Hayward Award, Leading Goaltender.
David McKee. 27-5-3, 1.24, .947, leading the NCAA in both GAA and Sv%, and gaining admittance to the Hobey Hat Trick as a Sophomore.

Mike Iggulden. The new prototype for this award, Iggulden was a marginal, nearly forgotten, player his first two years, only becoming established with the departure of the massive and talented class of '03. As a senior, he became -- arguably -- the third-most important player on the team, adding an entirely new dimension with his devastating penalty killing (and short handed goal scoring) talents. The greatest testament to Iggulden's improvement is that his departure leaves the Big Red with a gaping hole and no apparent heir. Even among a cohort outstanding in their career improvement -- Cook, Pegoraro, and Varteressian especially -- Iggulden was exceptional.

Randy MacFarlane Award, Transcendent Beauty and Skating Prowess. Title says it all.
Jeremy Downs. Though not a beautiful or effortless skater, Downs was touted as one of the fastest skaters on the ice during the NCAAs, leading a team that overall has improved significantly in a traditionally weak area.

Topher Scott. Listed at 5' 6", and perhaps nearing that when in skates, Scott did more with less than any player since his distant forbearer, Shaun Hannah. Brought onto a hulking, physical team to replace the diminutive but highly talented Ryan Vesce, Scott shocked fans and opponents with his fearless play, at times checking -- effectively -- players with six inches and 40 pounds on him. His quarterfinal series-winning overtime goal in the final game at Lynah was his finest moment, punctuated by a hop, skip, and jump reminiscent of Geoff Lopatka. Our new favorite player.

Paul Varteressian. Like Iggulden, he struggled to find his role for three seasons. Like Iggulden, he found it as a senior, and made a massive contribution to the squad. One of the best checking forwards, with the thankless task of shadowing the opponent's best line each night, Varteressian crowned his career with the game-tying goal in the ECAC championship game.

Mike Knoepfli. The captain, Knoepfli led a senior class which Mike Schafer continually called out for its outstanding leadership. A steady player throughout his career, Knoepfli was easy to miss due to his low profile role as a defensive forward, but was greatly responsible for the team's three NCAA quarterfinal appearances on his watch.

John Murphy. We may need a Lifetime Achievement Award, as Murphy proves he hasn't improved in 8 years (having won the award in 1997 as well).

Dov Grumet-Morris, Harvard. Hyphen was fun to heckle, but the guy should be given his due now that he's gone. He seemingly always saved his best games for Cornell, beating them several times. He was never greater than in the 2002 ECAC title game, when he shut the Red down for five periods en route to a double-overtime victory. We're glad to see him go.

Noah Welch, Harvard. What a hack! The most overrated player in the ECAC -- perhaps in all college hockey -- in the last decade, Welch was a mediocre defenseman with a penchant for cheap shots behind the play who continually failed to impress, especially in big games against the Red. His ultimate moment: being faked out of his jock on the game-trying goal at Albany this past season.

Doug Krantz. In a class of impressive freshman, Krantz was the most steady, and he fit into the Schafer System instantly, showing poise beyond his years. Add a heavy shot and perhaps the biggest goal of the season -- the momentum shifting first Cornell mark of the NCAA Regional Semi -- and Krantz noses out teammates Scott and Ray Sawada for MVF.

David McKee. The only competitor was Moulson, who had an incredible season and keyed the resurgent offense. However, McKee earned the honor, accumulating an incredible ten shut outs, and becoming the second Cornell Hobey Hat Trick netminder in the past three seasons.

- - - -

In addition, there will be a special one-time-only Award, currently under construction.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2005 11:22PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2005 12:48AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

John Murphy. We may need a Lifetime Achievement Award, as Murphy proves he hasn't improved in 8 years (having won the award in 1997 as well).

[/q]

I went to the Syracuse/Manitoba AHL game tonight. John Murphy was the linesman, and believe it or not, called ICING on Syracuse while they were on the penalty kill! The 6,573 in attendance really let him have it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login