Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Who to root for in 2005 Frozen Four

Posted by billhoward 
Who to root for in 2005 Frozen Four
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 09:12AM

Who should we cheer for in the Frozen Four this year? The rooting priorities for sports generally are:

1. Cornell
2. Ivy (tie)
2. Upstate New York (tie except Upstate over Harvard)
4. ECACHL
5. East
6. Academically gifted and talented colleges

Plus sometimes
- Underdog
- Team going the longest without winning the title
- Team that just narrowly beat you
- Team / school that has nothing else to live for except that sport
- Team whose success would not lead recruits to turn away from Cornell
- Obscure school that comes out of nowhere

Thus you'd root for Princeton over Duke in basketball, Syracuse over Virginia in lacrosse, Gonzaga over Louisville in basketball, even (gag) Harvard over anybody non Ivy/ECACHL in hockey.

By this measure it would be good to see Colorado College win the 2005 hockey title because it's a good (acaemically) small school that hasn't won in a long time.

It would also be good to see Minnesota win because then part of the Cornell legend can say, " ... drew the eventual NCAA champion to overtime." Even though Minnesota has won enough titles recently and with Phil Kessel coming aboard they are going to be tough in ensuing seasons.

No reason to root for Denver plus they kept us from the 1969 championship.

North Dakota has a huge rink and a successful program. We all make fun of the excessive luxury of the team's arena and how they're not real fans sitting in leather seats. That's just sour grapes.

Re: Who to root for in 2005 Frozen Four
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 09:34AM

How about the rink collapsing :-P

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 09:49AM

I guess I'll root for CC because they haven't won in a while, they're a small liberal arts school rather than a jock factory, and they haven't beaten us in an important game lately.

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 09:50AM

I'm pulling for DU, because my aunt went to law school there. But other than that, I got nothin.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.akamai.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 09:53AM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

How about the rink collapsing [/q]

You know how many times I was tempted to post the same thing (my exact thought was, "I hope the rink blows up";) over the past 12 hours, but didn't? Thanks for alleviating the temptation. :)

Cheers,
Kyle

Date: March 28, 2005 09:59AM

Here's my order of whom to root for, and this goes for all sports:

1. Cornell
2. Some New York/Conn/NJ teams
3. Teams with select players I like or respect

And I root against everyone else, but not too strongly, because if my team isn't in it, my interest level drops off very quickly.

I'm not one of these touchy-feely "I need to have a winner in the game" types. If it were possible for all four teams at the FF to lose, I would hope for that outcome; but this is reality, and since that won't happen, I simply don't care about the outcome. I'm not being bitter: I'm being a fan. If my team isn't playing, I'm not watching.

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 10:13AM

How to you call yourself a "fan" of the sport if you don't watch the frozen Four?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 10:37AM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

How to you call yourself a "fan" of the sport if you don't watch the frozen Four? [/q]

Most of us probably will watch the FF. But we won't be happy about it, knowing we were probably just a good bounce or two away from the FF ourselves.

Date: March 28, 2005 10:47AM

Rich, please enlighten me on where I said I was a fan of the sport. I am primarily a fan of a team, not a sport. Sure, I enjoy watching good hockey; but if it isn't Cornell playing, I would generally rather being playing than watching. In the case of hockey, I can actually do that. Yaay.

For that matter, not sure if it even makes sense to call one's self a fan(atic) of an entire sport. Do you honestly think the fervor most Cornell fans have for their team is matched by their interest in any other team, or (even more absurdly) the sport in general? I can perfectly understand if you don't get it: being a fan of Cornell hockey is on a whole different level from being a fan of any other team, in any sport, at any level. I stand by our uniqueness. It's not just my proximity to the team speaking here, and I think most visitors to Lynah Rink---and home fans at other rinks that are fortunate enough to host the Red, as supported by many MN fan posters on USCHO---would agree.

Maybe I'm reading into this too much, and my last paragraph was just me being a jerk. If so, I apologize. No hard feelings; I'm still hurting from yesterday's loss. It's going to be a long 210 days.

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 11:01AM

[Q]krose Wrote:
not sure if it even makes sense to call one's self a fan(atic) of an entire sport.[/q]

Probably not, but it does make sense to call oneself a fan(cier) of an entire sport.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: mjh89 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 28, 2005 11:32AM

I'm gonna pull for NoDak because they weren't as #1 seed, and because them winning means Minnesota won't play in the championship game.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 12:50PM

Welcome back, RichS. We've missed you so.rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

Date: March 28, 2005 12:57PM

And now we're in the same boat as Rich's team: On the outside looking in.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 12:58PM

Baseball starts in 6 days.

What Frozen Four? :-P

Date: March 28, 2005 01:03PM

It's possible to get excited about NCAA basketball Final Four despite Cornell's absence this year from the tournament (and last and ...). So why not hockey FF, too?

Date: March 28, 2005 01:08PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

It's possible to get excited about NCAA basketball Final Four despite Cornell's absence this year from the tournament (and last and ...). So why not hockey FF, too? [/q]

And clearly you're going to pay $2000 for tickets to the final four ($300 for the frozen four), and travel cross-country to see (say) UNC (or Denver) play, and stand in a section with 2000 fans dressed in the same color all chanting in unison.

Right?

Excitement it may be for some people, but hardly at the same level. I just don't get off on that: as I said, I'd rather be playing hockey than watching anyone other than Cornell play. But, to each his own...

Cheers,
Kyle

Date: March 28, 2005 01:11PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

Baseball starts in 6 days.

What Frozen Four? [/q]

Indeed...Let's Go Mets. :-D

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 01:17PM

I t absolutely makes sense to call yourself a fan of an entire sport. I've attended the Frozen Four when I had absolutely no reason to think Cornell would make it and had a very unique experience (Cinci '96). I know several people on this forum try to get tickets to the FF every year and go regardless. I drove to Kalamazoo, MI last November to watch a college hockey game that had absolutely nothing to do with Cornell (WMU-ND) and had a good time. Turning to my summer sport, I've been to dozens of baseball parks where random teams were playing simply for the joy of watching a ballgame.

You can be a true fan of a single team, a sport or both. I find being both more rewarding than just a Cornell fan, but YMMV (and you never did say you were a fan of the sport, Kyle).

That said, I probably won't watch the FF semis because of other commitments (like work). :-P

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 01:19PM

[q]I'd rather be playing hockey than watching anyone other than Cornell play. But, to each his own... [/q]Can't argue with that. With the possible exception of big games I'd always rather be playing than watching (he says, not having played a game of hockey in about two years...)

Date: March 28, 2005 01:36PM

I love the beauty of sports ... the plays ... the instant replays. That's what TV does well and HDTV does really well compared to being there in person. So I'm going to be watching from the best vantage point I can think of: the Barcalounger. Here's hoping for CSTV-HD in 2005-06.

Okay, being there in person means you don't have to hear OSU goaltender Dave Caruso crooning out a country & western song during one of the Up Close & Personal segments. That was painful. Was this the guy who has a thing for Martina McBride? (Has he looked in a mirror?)

Date: March 28, 2005 01:43PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Okay, being there in person means you don't have to hear OSU goaltender Dave Caruso crooning out a country & western song during one of the Up Close & Personal segments. That was painful.

[/q]

Oh this, we can all agree.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 03:16PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

Okay, being there in person means you don't have to hear OSU goaltender Dave Caruso crooning out a country & western song during one of the Up Close & Personal segments. That was painful.

[/Q]
Oh this, we can all agree.[/q]

Seriously, what the hell was that crap?

My apologies to the Ship of Fools crowd, but I felt the need to start the "Goalie-Sieve-Funnel..." chant at that time so we didn't have to hear him, which prevented the start of Gary Glitter at its appropriate time.

Fortunately, a late time out gave us another chance.

Date: March 28, 2005 03:40PM

Caruso's musical segment set OSU recruiting back a year and if it's true that stereoid abuse is causally linked to skin, er, irritations, he may be sitting next to Barry Bonds when Congress resumes hearings. He may be the exception proving the rule "any publicity is good if you spell the name right."

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 05:12PM

I'm voting for CC. Think we're frustrated/due? They've been really good for a long time. Plus their fans aren't as arrogant as those damned Gopher fans. They really annoy me. I know a couple of former CC players, they're really nice guys.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 12:01AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

I t absolutely makes sense to call yourself a fan of an entire sport. I've attended the Frozen Four when I had absolutely no reason to think Cornell would make it and had a very unique experience (Cinci '96). I know several people on this forum try to get tickets to the FF every year and go regardless. I drove to Kalamazoo, MI last November to watch a college hockey game that had absolutely nothing to do with Cornell (WMU-ND) and had a good time. Turning to my summer sport, I've been to dozens of baseball parks where random teams were playing simply for the joy of watching a ballgame.

You can be a true fan of a single team, a sport or both. I find being both more rewarding than just a Cornell fan, but YMMV (and you never did say you were a fan of the sport, Kyle).

That said, I probably won't watch the FF semis because of other commitments (like work). [/q]

When I went to Buffalo in 2003 for the Frozen Four, I saw and met many fans of schools not in attendance, or even having a reasonable shot of getting there. That's part of the appeal of college hockey (and hockey in general) for me -- so many of the fans are true fans of the sport and can appreciate good play regardless of who is playing.

Posted by: jibjab (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 01:20AM

Can we get the Canton (Potsdam?) Pizza Hut to cater all Frozen Four-related events?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 06:56AM

[Q]jibjab Wrote:

Can we get the Canton (Potsdam?) Pizza Hut to cater all Frozen Four-related events?[/q]

Best. Idea. Ever.

yark

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login