Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Forum Idea

Posted by mjh89 
Forum Idea
Posted by: mjh89 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:17PM

Maybe an "Out-of-town viewing" board should be added kind of like the ticket exchange board. All the "Where to watch the game in Istanbul?" posts were getting annoying.

Re: Forum Idea
Posted by: TShen (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:25PM

Yes, perhaps a sticky for confirmed viewing location around the nation. People always seem to return to the same bar/restaurant every year.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:26PM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

Maybe an "Out-of-town viewing" board should be added kind of like the ticket exchange board. All the "Where to watch the game in Istanbul?" posts were getting annoying.[/q]

Not a bad idea but it only happens when Cornell is on TV, which isn't too often...it would go unused for large portions of the year (350 days out of 365).

Also, get used to the fluctuation in usage...people come out from hiding in the bushes when the team is performing really well or really poorly

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 07:32AM

Yeah, and there weren't enough "Where to watch the game in Constantinople?" posts. But that's nobody's business but the Turks'.

</tmbg>

Posted by: mjh89 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 28, 2005 11:45AM

I knew the TMBG reference was coming soon enough.

Date: March 28, 2005 11:52AM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

I knew the TMBG reference was coming soon enough.[/q]

I had to do it. I just had to. :-D

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: April 05, 2005 03:42PM

Please tell me nobody out there actually thinks TMBG wrote that song. Please.

Yeesh, kids today...

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2005 06:41PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Yeah, and there weren't enough "Where to watch the game in Constantinople?" posts. But that's nobody's business but the Turks'.

</tmbg>[/q]

I don't know about Rich S but I've called a truce with the Turks. The Ali Baba in Troy and the Istanbul in New Haven are too good to ignore. No sports TV, just good food.

Date: April 05, 2005 08:59PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Please tell me nobody out there actually thinks TMBG wrote that song. Please.

Yeesh, kids today...[/q]

While it's true that the song was originally done by the Four Lads, "Istanbul" was truly made great by They Might Be Giants. No matter who wrote or originally performed a song, I'll first associate the song with whichever group or artist does it best. Which means that, in my mind, "Respect" belongs to Aretha Franklin, "Higher Ground" belongs to the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and "Come Together" belongs to Aerosmith. (Yes, I make the claim that somebody can do a Beatles song better than the Beatles. So there.)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: April 05, 2005 11:05PM

TMBG's cover is hip today. Tomorrow another cover will be hip, and so it goes forever. Covers are, in the end, perishable. The original at least has the advantage of always being original.

For that matter, Aretha's overblown, over-the-top cover of Respect, while a lot of fun, is barely a lame American Idol audition compared to Otis Redding's soulful original.

But at least that's arguable. If you think Higher Ground belongs to the Peppers, I can't help you.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2005 01:45AM

While Dylan's is good, I certianly think the lasting and most-known version on All Along the Watchtower is and will be Hendrix's. Then again, maybe that's just my point of view, so who knows.

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: April 06, 2005 12:42PM

I'll never forgive TMBG for performing the theme to Higglytown Heroes
bang

Posted by: Beeeej (---.rapiddevelopers.com)
Date: April 06, 2005 01:40PM

Similarly, Hendrix's "Hey, Joe" is by far the seminal version. Barely anybody even knows who the Leaves are, much less that it was their song first.

What it comes down to is opinion, really. I can't stand Aerosmith's "Come Together," but - and I almost hate to admit this - I think Phil Collins's "Tomorrow Never Knows" is just as good as the original.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: April 06, 2005 01:49PM

Superman had kryptonite.

Green Lantern had the color yellow.

No thread in the history of this message board has the potential to undo the superpowers of iconic eLynah posters more than this one.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2005 02:17PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote Something Like:
Phil Collins doesn't unequivocally suck all the time.[/q]
thud

Date: April 06, 2005 02:24PM

That has got to be the single funniest emoticon I've ever seen in my life. laugh

Anyway, Phil was almost unequivocally great, up until 1978 or so. Mixed bag from then until 1993ish, almost nothing but unmitigated suck since.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 06:25PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

That has got to be the single funniest emoticon I've ever seen in my life.

Anyway, Phil was almost unequivocally great, up until 1978 or so. Mixed bag from then until 1993ish, almost nothing but unmitigated suck since.

Beeeej[/q]

Thing is, for at least the last 5 years, Age has maintained that your position is an Animal Farm-esque "Gabriel good, Collins bad." ;-)

In a similar vain, may I suggest that Seasons' End blows Internal Exile out of the water. :-P

As far as covers go, the Ozzy cover of Staying Alive, the Cure cover of Purple Haze, and the Rob Zombie cover of Brickhouse are at least as good as the originals.

Date: April 08, 2005 07:37PM

Collins very, very bad. Yes, Phil, you had a tough divorce. GTF over it. Gabriel okay, especially when talking Brian Eno out of recording the sound of his own flatulence. But the band belonged to Rutherford and Banks. ;-)

A cover that actually mattered: "Watchtower" by Hendrix is indeed much better than Dylan's original. But that's the exception that proves the rule.*

(* whatever that means)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2005 07:38PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 08:13PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:
But that's the exception that proves the rule.*

(* whatever that means)
[/q]
[www.straightdope.com]
(if you're gonna gain anything from this, you have to read the full thing - or at least, skip down to the "LAST WORD ON EXCEPTIONS" part. He ends up recanting most of his original responses. I'd recommend reading the whole thing though)

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 08:50PM

[Q]BCrespi Wrote:

While Dylan's is good, I certianly think the lasting and most-known version on All Along the Watchtower is and will be Hendrix's. Then again, maybe that's just my point of view, so who knows.[/q]

There's always the Dave Matthews Band cover of Watchtower too :-D

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 09:03PM

i.e. six and one half dozen of the other nut

Date: April 08, 2005 09:21PM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:

BCrespi Wrote:

While Dylan's is good, I certianly think the lasting and most-known version on All Along the Watchtower is and will be Hendrix's. Then again, maybe that's just my point of view, so who knows.[/Q]
There's always the Dave Matthews Band cover of Watchtower too [/q]

Don't get me started on Dave. rolleyes

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 10:08PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:
But that's the exception that proves the rule.*

(* whatever that means)
[/Q]
(if you're gonna gain anything from this, you have to read the full thing - or at least, skip down to the "LAST WORD ON EXCEPTIONS" part. He ends up recanting most of his original responses. I'd recommend reading the whole thing though)[/q]
That's an interesting exchange.

I can't resist sharing another example of "sense #2":
The control system for the Cornell electron synchrotron at Wilson Lab is said to have been designed, in the mid 1960's, to be sufficiently simple so that you could run the whole complex with one arm tied behind your back. "The exception that proved the rule" was a rugged character named Gordon Brown, one of the operators on staff, who had lost his left arm in a farming accident many years before.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 01:41PM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:
Beeeej Wrote:
Anyway, Phil was almost unequivocally great, up until 1978 or so. Mixed bag from then until 1993ish, almost nothing but unmitigated suck since.[/Q]
Thing is, for at least the last 5 years, Age has maintained that your position is an Animal Farm-esque "Gabriel good, Collins bad."[/q]

Goodness, no. "A Trick of the Tail" was Genesis's best album.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 01:51PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:
Collins very, very bad. Yes, Phil, you had a tough divorce. GTF over it.[/q]

I hate to be the unlikely Phil defender again, but his first couple of solo albums had a bunch of great songs dealing with the divorce. It was when he decided to make "socially relevant" music, and started writing treacly middle-of-the-road ballads for soundtracks, that he jumped the shark.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: April 10, 2005 07:55AM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:
I hate to be the unlikely Phil defender again, but his first couple of solo albums had a bunch of great songs dealing with the divorce.[/q]

I completely agree, if by "great" you mean "middle school doggerel."

"I've kept all the pictures, but I hide my feelings so no-one knows /
Oh sure my friends all come round, but I'm in a crowd on my own /
It's 'cos you're gone now, but your heart still remains /
And it'll be here if you come again."

Phil, baby, sweetheart... Andrea aint coming back. She was right.

Date: April 10, 2005 08:59AM

How do you know it's the offseason? We're talking about Phil Collins.

"And now, I'd like to sing the complex and amazing song that won me the Oscar, a song entitled: ‘You'll Be in Me.' Thanks. ‘You'll be inside of me, deep inside of me. So deep inside, I can feel you pushing against my heart...'"

Date: April 11, 2005 01:55PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:
Beeeej Wrote:
I hate to be the unlikely Phil defender again, but his first couple of solo albums had a bunch of great songs dealing with the divorce.[/Q]
I completely agree, if by "great" you mean "middle school doggerel."

"I've kept all the pictures, but I hide my feelings so no-one knows
blah blah blah blah blah[/q]

I didn't say all the songs about his divorce were great. Sheesh!!

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: April 11, 2005 02:44PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:
I didn't say all the songs about his divorce were great. Sheesh!!
[/q]

OK, so, there are three schools of thought:

I. Phil started to suck after he sold out to make Disney treacle.

II. Phil started to suck just as his wife left him, which (perhaps coincidentally, perhaps not) corresponds to when his solo career started -- call him Peter Townsend without the part about sex with Mick Jagger*.

III. Phil's suckiness is like energy and matter. It cannot be created or destroyed, it is always with us. This splits into:
III(a). The other guys in Genesis were strong enough to compensate for his suckiness, or
III(b). Genesis always sucked, too. Indeed everything which Collins has ever touched sucked -- call him Billy Joel with worse hair.

* allegedly

Date: April 11, 2005 02:50PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:
OK, so, there are three schools of thought:[/q]

Four.

IV: Phil's work has always been inconsistent to some degree, but the good-to-suckage ratio increased as his career continued. There is no bright chronological or event-related line before which all was good and after which all was suck.

I'll pretend you didn't even mention Billy.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: April 11, 2005 03:08PM

If you reverse the trend line, I think you're on to something -- a river meandering between the banks of good and suck, with ever-increasing silt deposits of crud. Call him Stevie Wonder.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.epsy.uconn.edu)
Date: April 12, 2005 09:12AM

[Q]

II. Phil started to suck just as his wife left him, which (perhaps coincidentally, perhaps not) corresponds to when his solo career started -- call him Peter Townsend without the part about sex with Mick Jagger*.
[/q]

a) wasn't Bowie and Jaggar?

b) solo Townshend most certainly does not suck.

c) you mispelled Pete's name - see b

[q]
III(b). Genesis always sucked, too. Indeed everything which Collins has ever touched sucked
[/q]

Blasphemer! You shall listen to the Lamb 100 in a row as penance.

And then listen to the Quicksilver soundtrack by Tony Banks...oh wait. Nevermind. That does suck.*

(*Actually, I don't know if it does or not. My garage sale copy is on vinyl and I don't own a record player.)

Posted by: jeh25 (---.epsy.uconn.edu)
Date: April 12, 2005 09:13AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:
a river meandering between the banks of good and suck[/q]

Tony Banks?

Date: April 12, 2005 10:27AM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

[/Q]
a) wasn't Bowie and Jaggar?

b) solo Townshend most certainly does not suck.

c) you mispelled Pete's name - see b

III(b). Genesis always sucked, too. Indeed everything which Collins has ever touched sucked
[/Q]
Blasphemer! You shall listen to the Lamb 100 in a row as penance.

And then listen to the Quicksilver soundtrack by Tony Banks...oh wait. Nevermind. That does suck.*

(*Actually, I don't know if it does or not. My garage sale copy is on vinyl and I don't own a record player.)[/q]

You spelled Mick's name wrong. Jagger was with everybody. Maybe that's where Nickerson... never mind.

I had the "h" and pulled it back. Should have trusted my instincts. "Rough Boys" may have been written by Neil Sedaka. Solo Pete is indefatigably suck.

I am not an alumnus of III(b). I'm a "II. Phil started to suck just as his wife left him" man, myself, and I could listen to any of the early G at least four times in a row without being violently ill.

I had no idea Banks had a solo career. I have visions of Rick Wakeman and shiver.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: April 12, 2005 05:32PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:
I had no idea Banks had a solo career. I have visions of Rick Wakeman and shiver.[/q]

Luckily, he rarely did his own vocals. The album "Still" featured Fish, among others, doing the vocal duties, and "Angel Face" is one of the best tracks Tony ever worked on (including much of Genesis).

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login