Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Congradulations on the Minnesota Referees win !!!

Posted by tvset 
Congradulations on the Minnesota Referees win !!!
Posted by: tvset (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 08:48PM

This was the most biased job of calling a game I've seen all season ..............

Re: Congradulations on the Minnesota Referees win !!!
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 08:52PM

The reffing all tournament has been off. Its bizarre and I agree it sucked, but it wasn't biased. Don't be a poor loser.

Posted by: cth95 (---.dsl.westelcom.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:48PM

The refs didn't control the puck in our end for large amounts of 5-on-5 time and prevent us from setting up good scoring opportunities the other way. Minnesota is a very good team and definitely knew how to spread the wider ice to their advantage.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:54PM

We could have won if the referees blew the puck dead in the corner before O'Byrne had a chance to "lose the game" for us. But the refs didn't make Topher shoot high over a seemongly open net and they weren't the ones who made the goalpost stop that helped us out in regulation.

If I was Minnesota, I'd be pretty happy about making the final four - for about one day - and then I'd start wondering about the quality of my power play and if Tyler Hirsch is going to make it back and why we can only generate 1.00 goals per game on offense so far in regulation in NCAA play on home ice and if there's a way to sneak in Phil Kessel in the *spring* of 2005.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:34PM

Sorry, this thread is all a load of crap. Cornell was whistled more because they committed more infractions. A *lot* more. Way more than were called.

They had to, and they meant to. The name of the game was:

1) Try to stay ahead of the play.
2) When you fall behind, take the penalty.
3) Do the time, and try to survive.

It worked. The refs did their job in calling the penalties, and Cornell did their job in stopping Minny dead, OUTSCORING them on their advantage.

Posted by: redGrinch (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:40PM

Not biased, but getting CCHA refs for the game was probably not good for us either. CCHA called the most penalties of the 4 conferences (maybe even the 6). I honestly can only think of 1, maybe 2 things I though could've been called against Minnesota. But a couple of the Cornell calls were questionable. Cornell plays a more physical game, and could've been hurt by the ref draw.

I'm not going to blame the refs though for not blowing the play dead - i've never particularly liked the call - i.e. I always think it should be played against the walls, as in the NHL, unless you've really got two opposing skates pinned on it and neither guy's going to move. O'Byrne was trying to freeze it himself and the refs didn't let him get away with it.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 11:33PM

[Q]tvset Wrote:

This was the most biased job of calling a game I've seen all season ..............
[/q]

The most biased thing I saw was the TV coverage -- the announcers with their familiarity with the Minnesota players, and the cameras, with their numerous shots of the sieve's parents, Minnesota fans and almost nonexistant coverage of the Cornell contingent.

Date: March 27, 2005 11:35PM

CUlater, agreed. I was just bitching about that to my dad. The announcers pissed me off. I guess all the NHL announcers wanted nothing to do with the sham that is an NCAA tournament on someone's home ice ;)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 12:32AM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

CUlater, agreed. I was just bitching about that to my dad. The announcers pissed me off. I guess all the NHL announcers wanted nothing to do with the sham that is an NCAA tournament on someone's home ice [/q]

I wish they'd had Frank and Doug do the game; at least they would only have mispronounced our players' names and not both teams'. Tackleson indeed.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 28, 2005 12:39AM

[Q]redGrinch Wrote:

Not biased, but getting CCHA refs for the game was probably not good for us either. CCHA called the most penalties of the 4 conferences (maybe even the 6). I honestly can only think of 1, maybe 2 things I though could've been called against Minnesota. But a couple of the Cornell calls were questionable. Cornell plays a more physical game, and could've been hurt by the ref draw.[/q]

I dunno about that. I was just commenting before the first penalty that the lack of calls hurt us because our special teams are so good. And if we were going to get a chance in the early going, it was most likely to come on the PP. (It reminded me of my Polish colleague's observation that in the BC game from the Everblades, the teams seemed to be waiting for the next powerplay rather than trying to score 5x5.)

[Q]I'm not going to blame the refs though for not blowing the play dead - i've never particularly liked the call - i.e. I always think it should be played against the walls, as in the NHL, unless you've really got two opposing skates pinned on it and neither guy's going to move. O'Byrne was trying to freeze it himself and the refs didn't let him get away with it.[/q]

That's also a CCHA trait. They're very reluctant to blow the whistle with the puck along the boards. Sometimes you can hear Shegos yelling at players to move the puck.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.housing.hawaii.edu)
Date: March 28, 2005 12:49AM

actually Minny is scoring .50 goals per game in regulation, as they went to OT vs. Maine scoreless - but still your point remains

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 01:58AM

I was at the game and thought the officiating was fine. I actually thought Cornell took more bad penalties today than usual, but it isn't as if Minnesota scored on any powerplays so it isn't really a big deal. They were beaten by the team they played. Could have gone either way.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 03:21AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

I was at the game and thought the officiating was fine. I actually thought Cornell took more bad penalties today than usual, but it isn't as if Minnesota scored on any powerplays so it isn't really a big deal. They were beaten by the team they played. Could have gone either way.[/q]Well, we were skating a man down for a lot of the game, so it was something of a big deal (Carefoot's goal notwithstanding). It wasn't the officials' fault, though. Cornell committed a lot of penalties to keep the buzzing Minnesota skaters in check.

By the way, I thought the linesmen were horrible. A lot of very questionable offsides calls.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 03:31AM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:

I was at the game and thought the officiating was fine. I actually thought Cornell took more bad penalties today than usual, but it isn't as if Minnesota scored on any powerplays so it isn't really a big deal. They were beaten by the team they played. Could have gone either way.[/Q]
Well, we were skating a man down for a lot of the game, so it was something of a big deal (Carefoot's goal notwithstanding). It wasn't the officials' fault, though. Cornell committed a lot of penalties to keep the buzzing Minnesota skaters in check.

By the way, I thought the linesmen were horrible. A lot of very questionable offsides calls.[/q]

Not to mention the two icings in the second period (against Cornell) that were mysteriously waved off.

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 08:37AM

[Q]
That's also a CCHA trait. They're very reluctant to blow the whistle with the puck along the boards. Sometimes you can hear Shegos yelling at players to move the puck.[/q]

That happens at all levels of hockey. Officials generally want to keep the play moving. For one thing, it cuts down on the play disintegrating into a "clutch and grab" game.

I notice that cornell took several more penalties than did Minny. Were the Gophers faster, or as expressed in a previous thread re:other ECAC teams, does this stat indicate that cornell is a bunch of "goons"?

I think I know the answer but, just wondering.
:-D

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 08:52AM

I think I know the answer, too. Cornell was the least penalized team in the ECAC this season.

Posted by: Josh '99 (63.85.108.---)
Date: March 28, 2005 09:21AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
Not to mention the two icings in the second period (against Cornell) that were mysteriously waved off.[/q]If you're talking about the ones I think you are, they were waved because Minnesota skaters could've gotten to the puck had they made an effort and deliberately skated away from it. At least one of them that was definitely the case.

Date: March 28, 2005 09:41AM

That may be the case, but usually they whistle those anyway. How many times does the opposing player *not* slow up a bit or change direction a little to make it look harder to get to. That's almost law. Unless it was egregious, and nothing I saw on TV made it seem so, then the linesmen were calling it different than I've seen for years.

Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 10:17AM

Don't you have the rights to skate away and take the icing call? I don't think you're required to bust your ass and sprint to the puck and then risk getting checked or stolen by the opposing team.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 10:52AM

Well, I'm pretty damn sure the rule is if the player "could" have gotten to it. So sure, you can skate away, but if you do so when you clearly could and should have touched it, then the icing is nullified anyway.

But the rule is usually applied very liberally, it has to be damn obvious that they could have reached it. I guess the linesmen saw the refs reinterpreted rules all tournament long (less so in our games - BC/Mercyhurst was outrageous) and decided to have a crack at it themselves

Posted by: duffs4 (209.150.239.---)
Date: March 28, 2005 11:23AM

The refs weren't bad in this game, they have just never seen the Gregg Lugainis(sp) show. The Gophers were really good at taking dives. The penalty on Topher, paleeessee, the guys arms went up like he got dragged down by Scott Stevens. The difference was: their guys would put a stick on our guys and ride them all over the ice and our guys would try to fight through it, when we did the same they would go down. Learn to Skate!

Enough venting, THANKS GUYS FOR A GREAT SEASON!!

McKee for HOBEY!

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 12:25PM

I don't think the refereeing was horrible, but it did seem like the game was called a little closer than I would have preferred. I think the Minnesota's speed advantage may have "sold" the ref on some of the calls though. When you're chasing the offensiver team like we were I imagine the ref is subconciously expecting the defense to commit infractions and as a result is more likely to call borderline stuff.

The Gophers certainly don't have Schafer as a coach. They were flopping to the ice at the least provocation. I guess that doesn't impact their style of play as much as it would Cornell's - no way you can cycle the puck constantly in the corners the way we try to if you're going to flop to the ice constantly.

During the first two periods the ref seemed reluctant to blow the whistle when the puck was tied up in the corner. It seemed to me that the whistle came out a lot quicker in the third period. I'd like to say that the final play would've been whistled dead based on third period standards, but that's not really fair. Deciding when to call a faceoff is a subjective call - it's not like the puck has a sensor that triggers a timer in the refs head when it stops moving.

Date: March 28, 2005 01:08PM

Sometimes refererees over-penalize big guys and Topher, ah, he plays big for his size maybe?

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 02:52PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:I notice that cornell took several more penalties than did Minny. Were the Gophers faster, or as expressed in a previous thread re:other ECAC teams, does this stat indicate that cornell is a bunch of "goons"?

I think I know the answer but, just wondering.
[/q]Broadly speaking, we were a little goony the first few periods. But it wasn't "goony" so much as defensive. We weren't illegally rough along the boards or making cover-your-eyes open-ice hits; we "non-violently" dragged people down or hooked them when they got a step on us. Nothing dirty, though.

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 02:54PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:
Not to mention the two icings in the second period (against Cornell) that were mysteriously waved off.[/Q]
If you're talking about the ones I think you are, they were waved because Minnesota skaters could've gotten to the puck had they made an effort and deliberately skated away from it. At least one of them that was definitely the case.[/q]And on at least one, I think it glanced off of a Gopher stick before even crossing the center line.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 28, 2005 03:18PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

Broadly speaking, we were a little goony the first few periods. But it wasn't "goony" so much as defensive. We weren't illegally rough along the boards or making cover-your-eyes open-ice hits; we "non-violently" dragged people down or hooked them when they got a step on us. Nothing dirty, though.[/q]

One might even say we clutched and grabbed.
help

Posted by: duffs4 (209.150.239.---)
Date: March 28, 2005 03:25PM

Not as much as the Gophers did. They were all over our guys as much if not more. Case in point; we had a three on one and their guy put Gleed in a head-lock at our end of the ice, the play was whistled dead and matching minors are handed out. twitch

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 03:29PM

[Q]duffs4 Wrote:
we had a three on one and their guy put Gleed in a head-lock at our end of the ice, the play was whistled dead and matching minors are handed out. [/q]

I think this is a sequence that doesn't get enough discussion. I didn't see it because the camera panned away when the puck was brought forward. At the time, I was so upset because I thought they were calling offsides and it looked like a top notch scoring chance. The camera then went back to show Gleed with his helmet up on the back of his head. :-(

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.law.ucla.edu)
Date: March 28, 2005 03:42PM

[Q]duffs4 Wrote:

Not as much as the Gophers did. They were all over our guys as much if not more. Case in point; we had a three on one and their guy put Gleed in a head-lock at our end of the ice, the play was whistled dead and matching minors are handed out. [/q]

OK, I was at the game, and if I'm thinking of the same play you are, the play happened right in front of the Cornell section. I'm pretty sure Gleed started that little scrap behind the play. I remember thinking Gleed was being an idiot for holding their guy behind the play and I was glad their guy hit Gleed back to take the matching minor. Gleed started that one. Remember, Gleed's penalty was holding, the Minnesota penalty was for roughing.

Date: March 28, 2005 03:51PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote: I didn't see it because the camera panned away when the puck was brought forward. At the time, I was so upset because I thought they were calling offsides and it looked like a top notch scoring chance. The camera then went back to show Gleed with his helmet up on the back of his head.[/q]The camera panned away because it hadn't showed the Minnesota goalie's parents in the last 90 seconds. It must be a contractual requirement for video equipment in Mariucci Arena. That and that the only Minnesota fans you can show must have blond or formerly blond hair.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 04:04PM

you don't neccesarily have to bust ass to get it. but if you go for a change without making an attempt to play it, or flat out stop, they will wave it everytime

Date: March 28, 2005 05:31PM

[Q]tvset Wrote:

[/q}

The Big Red was the least penalized team in the ECACHL, So why was it the most penalized team in the play-offs ????????

One simple answer : TO TAKE THEM OUT OF THEIR GAME SO THE OTHER TEAMS HAD A CHANCE !!!!!

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 05:46PM

[Q]tvset Wrote:

tvset Wrote:

[/q]

The Big Red was the least penalized team in the ECACHL, So why was it the most penalized team in the play-offs ????????

One simple answer : TO TAKE THEM OUT OF THEIR GAME SO THE OTHER TEAMS HAD A CHANCE !!!!!

[/q]

Somebody has his tinfoil hat on....
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2005 05:49PM by DisplacedCornellian.

Date: March 28, 2005 06:00PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
The camera panned away because it hadn't showed the Minnesota goalie's parents in the last 90 seconds.
[/q]

That did get old in a hurry. The only question was whether his dad or his mom looks more like Nick Nolte.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 06:17PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

Well, we were skating a man down for a lot of the game, so it was something of a big deal (Carefoot's goal notwithstanding). It wasn't the officials' fault, though. Cornell committed a lot of penalties to keep the buzzing Minnesota skaters in check.

By the way, I thought the linesmen were horrible. A lot of very questionable offsides calls.[/q]

I was also at the game and thought the officiating was pretty fair. Cornell got away with a couple of ugly ones, in fact. You may have a point about the linesmen, though from the vantage point of the Cornell section I can't really say. Some of the offsides calls seemed questionable but I'm biased.

The officiating didn't determine the outcome of the game. The nearly 9,000 Gopher fans didn't determine the outcome of the game. The game can be dissected many ways by both teams, in the end they made 2 more plays than Cornell made.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 06:36PM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:

The game can be dissected many ways by both teams, in the end they made 2 more plays than Cornell made.[/q]
Right--except maybe it was one more play, not two.

The ironic thing is that their "two plays" were seemingly out of the Cornell hockey textbook, and our "one play"--a perfectly-executed odd-man transition rush--was exactly what you would have expected from them.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 06:44PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

ithacat Wrote:

The game can be dissected many ways by both teams, in the end they made 2 more plays than Cornell made.[/Q]
Right--except maybe it was one more play, not two.

The ironic thing is that their "two plays" were seemingly out of the Cornell hockey textbook, and our "one play"--a perfectly-executed odd-man transition rush--was exactly what you would have expected from them.[/q]

In the end, it was one more play...I say two (obviously) because if not for the first the second would never had happened.

Interesting observation about the three goals -- the irony had been lost in my emotional meltdown (not clinical).

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 06:58PM

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who saw Minnesota's diving. Not that the refs lost the game for us. We actually outscored them on their own power plays. :-)

Posted by: dozens (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 07:27PM

The officiating wasn't great, but it wasn't very good in any of the other games either. And Minnesota certainly forced our boys into some penalties with their speed. The larger issue -- and I hate to sound like a sore loser -- is how the NCAA lives with allowing a team to play a regional final on home ice. With all the concerns about fairness (hello, PWR), you'd think they'd prevent such a thing from taking place. On the other hand, we definitely had a chance to win the game, and it took a complete defensive breakdown on the final sequence (on both goals, actually) to hand it to the Gophers.

Date: March 28, 2005 07:28PM

I think the Olympic-size rink probably had something to do with it.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 07:41PM

[Q]dozens Wrote:
I think the Olympic-size rink probably had something to do with it.[/q]I don't want to make excuses (although I guess the need to add that preface means I'm about to make one), but to paraphrase something I mentioned on USCHO last night, when you base a lot of your offense on playing the puck from the corner towards the front of the net, having to deal with 7 1/2 more feet than you're used to seems like it could be a wrench in the works. (I could be completely wrong, of course, but it makes sense to me that this would be the case.)

Date: March 28, 2005 07:50PM

Before the tournament started there were commentators who were saying things along the lines of the following: "If Cornell loses, it won't be because of the larger rink." So wrong. The difference in rink size meant more to Cornell than probably any other team in the tournament. Schafer's teams are built for the standard NHL rink. By placing us in the West regional, the selection committee put us in as adverse a situation as possible. The result was a predictable one. As I've said elsewhere, though, we still had every chance to win that game, which is a testament to Schafer's coaching and the team's discipline.

Posted by: duffs4 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 07:57PM

I was at the game and didn't see any recap, can someone talk about Cookies delay of game penalty? Was it or wasn't it intentional?

Date: March 28, 2005 08:01PM

The poll response on USCHO was "excuses, excuses, excuses."

Unfortunately, the question was, "If Cornell beats Minny..." not "If Minny beats Cornell..."

Disappointment is understandable, but the level of poor sportsmanship on this thread is depressing. People are blaming *everything*. Guess what? The better team won. There's no blame, or if you want to assign blame, blame higher admissions standards or something. That I might see.

This... this is silly.

Date: March 28, 2005 08:31PM

[Q]duffs4 Wrote:
I was at the game and didn't see any recap, can someone talk about Cookies delay of game penalty? Was it or wasn't it intentional? [/q]Happened all the way at the far end of the rink from where the Cornell section was located. I think you'll either have to watch a recording of the game and draw your own conclusion or hit up USCHO and see if you can find anyone who was sitting nearby to give you their take on it.

Date: March 28, 2005 08:46PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Unfortunately, the question was, "If Cornell beats Minny..." not "If Minny beats Cornell..."

Disappointment is understandable, but the level of poor sportsmanship on this thread is depressing. People are blaming *everything*. Guess what? The better team won. There's no blame, or if you want to assign blame, blame higher admissions standards or something. That I might see.

This... this is silly.[/q]Maybe it's a response to all the Gopher back-slapping and dick-sucking that's going on at USCHO and elsewhere. You're honestly going to tell me that if those three games had been played in Worcester (let alone at Lynah), or even at the Xcel center, you don't think things would've turned out differently? But all of a sudden the Gophers win two home games against teams who almost never play on Olympic ice and they're "Lying In Wait"? Give me a break. Yes, we could very well have won that game. Yes, Minnesota did what they needed to do to win. But they did it after waking up in their own beds, getting dressed in their own locker room, playing on the ice they practice on every day, where no other skater on the ice had ever played a game. Whether or not it sounds whiny, whether or not Minnesota had played well at home this season, sending teams that never play on Olympic ice to play on Olympic ice at someone else's campus rink is a stacked deck. I said all along that I'd rather have been bracketed with one of the other three 1 seeds at an actual neutral site, and I stand by that assessment.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 08:50PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

This... this is silly.[/q]

I blame you. :-P

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 09:08PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

People are blaming *everything*.

I'm convinced that Minnesota has a machine below the rink that puts a slight grade on the ice depending on which way the Gophers are skating. Call me a homer but I think that's unfair. :-P

Date: March 28, 2005 09:35PM

Meow. (But you're right.) And they never explained if that was his sister or girlfriend sitting next to them.

Date: March 28, 2005 09:36PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Meow. (But you're right.) And they never explained if that was his sister or girlfriend sitting next to them. [/q]

Given that he wants to be a country music star...could be both. :-P

Date: March 28, 2005 11:02PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:
I said all along that I'd rather have been bracketed with one of the other three 1 seeds at an actual neutral site, and I stand by that assessment.[/q]

The more I think about it, the more I like Greg's idea of letting the teams bracket themselves: Identify the 1-8 teams via PWR. Let #1 chose a site and a first-round opponent from 9-16. Then #2, #3, and #4, with the only requirement being that they have to end up in different regionals, and no one can pick a region which prevents the host from playing at home. (You could add a similar clause about not chosing a team from your conference or forcing anyone else to.) Then repeat the process for the 5-8 teams until the brackets are filled. So we can choose to play a higher-seeded team in return for not having to face them in their home rink.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.carlsl01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 11:36PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I like Greg's idea of letting the teams bracket themselves: Identify the 1-8 teams via PWR. Let #1 chose a site and a first-round opponent from 9-16. Then #2, #3, and #4, with the only requirement being that they have to end up in different regionals, and no one can pick a region which prevents the host from playing at home. [/q]

I understand the reasons for this, but I'm not sure it's not a little unfair to the #9 seeds of the world. They earned something too by separating themselves so far from the #16 seeds, so I'd cringe a little if they were forced to face a sadistic #1 seed in the first round while a #16 seed gets a better draw. It's likely this wouldn't happen too often (nor can I imagine many good reasons a rational #1 coach would choose to upgrade his opponent so signficiantly...injuries? familiarity with the team? hot tip?), and I do realize that if one is going to punish some team, it should be the lower seeds and not the higher ones. The idea of a #9 seed getting such a worse draw than a #16 seed based on the whim of don lucia or red berenson is a bit disturbing, though, and I'm not sure it's justified by the desire to reward the top seeds to their complete liking.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2005 01:28AM by Jacob 03.

Date: March 31, 2005 09:15PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Trotsky SUCKS !!!!

Date: March 31, 2005 09:16PM

Why? Because he's correct?

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 09:29PM

Get over yourself Rich, it's a cheer we do (if you haven't heard, i think it has been mentioned in other threads, perhaps use the "search" feature:-P). Regardless of weather the esteemed "tvset" is right or wrong, he feels he is right and is responding in jest. Your addition to this argument is extremely insightful, thank you.

Re: cheer...lol
Date: March 31, 2005 09:43PM

Oh yeah, I've heard that cheer many times. Very clever, but I expect more originality from the self-proclaimed "best fans in college hockey."

If anyone needs to get over themselves, it's you guys who can't take a contrary opinion. Or a contrary "fact" in some cases.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 10:01PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
Or a contrary "fact" in some cases.[/q]
did you put fact in quotes b/c you know your facts are full of $hit?

Date: March 31, 2005 10:02PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

If anyone needs to get over themselves, it's you guys who can't take a contrary opinion. Or a contrary "fact" in some cases.[/q]

"tvset" doesn't speak for all of us, Rich. In any case, that's why we have a forum like this, so we can share and discuss opinions about Cornell hockey and related matters. You're welcome to do so as well, of course, though it does seem like your major reason for posting here is to piss us off. It's working, but it does make me wonder why you're so intent on trying to piss us off. Is that really how you get your kicks in life? There's nothing better you could be doing with your time?

Date: March 31, 2005 10:09PM

It's not about pissing you guys off, really. I have much better things to do with my time than that. Like take my dog for a walk which I'm about to do.

On the other hand, you guys love to "piss off" Clarkson people by trashing Morris more than two years after the fact and Nickerson a year after he's gone. Do you have anything...?

You just seem to not handle a contrary opinion very well. And easy for you because I'm pretty much the only non-red fan here these days.

Thanks ben but it's you guys who don't know a "fact" from a carnellian-tinted opinion.

Date: March 31, 2005 10:14PM

Hi Rich, I'm on this thread too ;)

We trash Nickerson and Morris because its funny and entertaining. In no way is it intended to piss off Clarkson people. In fact, trust me, we'd rather you never saw it.

Also, there's a difference between a contrary opinion, and trying to tell us what to do and how to behave. On this thread, tvset is being silly and you're correct, but usually you're just here to complain.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 10:16PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
You just seem to not handle a contrary opinion very well.[/q]

Many, if not most, of us handle contrary opinions quite well when they're offered for a reason other than simply to be contrary. It's one thing to disagree and back yourself up; it's another entirely to seem as if your main purpose here is to relish shining bright lights on things you can point out as less than perfect.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2005 10:17PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 10:18PM

sure thing Rich, whatever you say rolleyes

Date: March 31, 2005 11:27PM

A troll who posts persistently is still a troll.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: April 01, 2005 02:30AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

Meow. (But you're right.) And they never explained if that was his sister or girlfriend sitting next to them. [/Q]
Given that he wants to be a country music star...could be both.[/q]

I hereby nominate this post as Post of the Year, short comedy divisionrock

Date: April 01, 2005 03:15AM

That says a lot when you are entertained by such sophomoric drivel. It's old, boring, and mean-spirited as well. But if you guys have "nothing better to do", now I understand. :-D

I don't recall having told you what to do. Your behavior? See the above. I'll pray for you. rolleyes

Date: April 01, 2005 07:55AM

Still yet to see a post that isn't insulting, attacking, or berating us for inappropriate behavior. Hey Rich, maybe you should be a usher at Lynah or Mariucci. You clearly love thinking you're better than everyone else!

Date: April 01, 2005 01:04PM

[Q]Roy 82 Wrote:

Will Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

Meow. (But you're right.) And they never explained if that was his sister or girlfriend sitting next to them. [/Q]
Given that he wants to be a country music star...could be both.[/Q]
I hereby nominate this post as Post of the Year, short comedy division
[/q]

Thanks. I'm just surprised nobody else thought of it (well, posted it) first.

Date: April 01, 2005 07:52PM

Clearly you haven't been reading closely.

And that last statement is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum.
If anything, it's you folks who think you're superior. With a couple of notable exceptions, the red fans here reject out of hand anything that is remotely critical of your team or fans that is said by an opposing fan. Only you are allowed to speak in less than glowing terms about the above. Where is the real value in a forum if you can't hear someone else's opinion and respond without being nasty or belittling them or their team or coach...or ex-coach, e.g. ?

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2005 08:33PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

Clearly you haven't been reading closely.

And that last statement is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum.
If anything, it's you folks who think you're superior. With a couple of notable exceptions, the red fans here reject out of hand anything that is remotely critical of your team or fans that is said by an opposing fan. Only you are allowed to speak in less than glowing terms about the above. Where is the real value in a forum if you can't hear someone else's opinion and respond without being nasty or belittling them or their team or coach...or ex-coach, e.g. ?[/q]

Which is why we banned you two years ago, eh Rich? nut uhoh

Truce?!?:-)

Date: April 01, 2005 08:34PM

Hey Rich, read around, there are plenty of critical remarks on here that are taken as part of a discussion. But, believe it or not, you don't give critical remarks with any dignity. You come on here and be insulting and glib and, rather than asking us to consider another opinion, but rather tell us how wrong and stupid and whiny we are. Guess what, bud... how you say something is as important as what you say.

You could say, "I really don't think that's appropriate", or, you could call it "sophomoric drivel". Hmmm, take a wild guess which response would garner more respect from us? And guess which one you chose? Hint: they're not the same.

Oh, and, secondly, still, look into investing in a sense of humor. If you're gonna consider every country music joke "sophomoric drivel", I suggest you may not want to leave your house. I'd make a joke about the north country, but that would be "mean-spirited". As opposed to you calling it "sophomoric drivel", that wasn't mean spirited at all. It was downright chummy. Mr. Pot? Meet Mr. Kettle.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2005 08:35PM by DeltaOne81.

Re: Congratulations on the Minnesota Referees win !!!
Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 01, 2005 09:39PM

I am trying to revive this horse, but it looks beaten to death.....When do we get to chat hockey again?????? Ok something new......How does your incoming class rank to ours?

Date: April 01, 2005 09:45PM

Thanks for the suggestions Delta. I don't have to invest in a sense of humor, thankfully I was born with one. Ask around among Clarkson folks if you'd see your way clear to doing so.

Over the years I've made any number of remarks in very dignified and analytical fashion. Most were met with scorn by several of your anti-Clarkson collegues, notably Al D and Chief AA Bear both here and on USCHO, in the former's case and on the old Roundtable in the case of both. Why? Because they touched a sensitive nerve by being somewhat critical in many instances...or because I was defending my school or team, much as you guys do.

When highly educated and presumably professional people constantly stoop to gutter language to slam opposing fans both at a live event and on such a forum as you guys have been doing here, that is "pathetic drivel" and I have no problem labeling it as such. If you take offense to being called on that, perhaps you should consider "how you say something" as you just put it.

I'm not going to choose my words to cow tow to your sensitivities in order to "garner more respect" when you, for example, have not shown me any from day one. And why?....because I offered a contrary opinion about a topic on this forum.

As for the North Country, come on, I've heard those jokes for many many years, even made some in my day. But you guys paint it as an area that offers nothing to do outside of watching hockey. I suggested that until you make an effort to check things out, you're commenting from a stance of ignorance. You come off as mean spirited and uninformed and I can't recall anything you'[ve said that was remotely "downright chummy."

If you want to suggest personality improvements, try them on Al first. Clean up your own house first.

Date: April 01, 2005 09:51PM

Well I can say in my relatively short time here (compared to some others), I have yet to witness "diginified and analytical" remarks not soaking in scorn and insults. At least very very few. It'd love to see it, but I swear, it doesn't happen.

And I'm sorry, but talking about "gutter language"... if you're gonna hang out around here, you're going to have to expect us to joke around in a not necessarily polite manner. You're not our collective father and we're not 5 years old, so don't act like it.

Re: Banned?
Date: April 01, 2005 10:10PM

Banned, Marty? I don't recall that, really.

Truce? Was this a war? It wasn't one in my mind. :-)

Date: April 01, 2005 10:16PM

Never said I was and don't want to be and I 'm not acting like I am but I will object when the way in which you trash someone goes over the edge.

I think that run-on sentence is gonna get me in touble with the grammar police. :-D

Ok, let's see....I'm supposed to get used to and accept the "less than polite" stuff aimed at me but when the shoe is on the other foot, you get pissed at me? Huh?

Hmmmm....

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2005 03:05AM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

If anything, it's you folks who think you're superior. [/q]

Finally, finally, finally! These nine words have been at the crux of just about every one of RichS's posts for the past 3 weeks. Read between the lines of every trolling, every rolleyes smilie, every insult, every "nice try, I win," and every "I know you are, but what am I?" and you can tell this is exactly what he's been dying to say all along.

The defending of Clarkson every time they were mentioned was one thing (despite the lack of humor about the Nickerson jokes), I could understand and tolerate that....I felt the same back when I regularly participated on the Clarkson Roundtable. But the past 3 weeks has seen a relentless stream of attacks, flames, and hate against this fanbase in general. I don't care that you hate Cornell and the Lynah Faithful. You seemed to be quite gleeful over on the Golden Knight forum about the last Cornell loss...that's OK, despite my rooting for ECACHL teams in general, I still feel some satisfaction when Harvard meets their yearly one-and-done. It's natural, and you can't help it. Fine. But why are you going on this current crusade to relentlessly attack us? What's it worth to you? Does it really get you off this much? I really really hope the 2 hours you're spending on this every night isn't in neglecting time with your wife and family.

Look, I'm one of the first people to agree when Cornell fans are being homer-ific idiots, both online and at games. (The person who started this thread for example...) Certain people have been a little rough...Al D. for example has a history of being abrasive towards you. I feel I'm quite good at seeing things without the "Carnellian colored glasses" that you love to refer to. It happens here, and on a fan forum, that's to be expected. One of the things I tend to preach on is that every fanbase has good and bad fans. I've been embarrassed by Cornell fans as well as proud of our fans. And, with every confidence that neutral fans reading this forum would agree with me, I say this in the best way possible: You're being a dick.

You've said in this thread "I'm pretty much the only non-red fan here these days," which is bunk. We've recently had Dart~Ben, Mark from BU, ursaminor from RPI, TheDrunkenSquirrel from UMinn, and more notably, daredevilcu and Drew, both from Clarkson. All have been welcome members of this forum, and although they have written things that I, or others, might not have agreed with, it has been pleasant, civil, and a friendly discourse. You, on the other hand troll endlessly, waiting for an opening to just insult people, often taking over a thread or 2 to have your little fun. While you have written some posts here that have some relevant and interesting things to say, even in the past 2 days, the large majority of your posts the past 3 weeks have been venomous and hateful. If I were to go on the Golden Knight Forum and do what you have done here, I hate to think what the reaction would be.

I know a large number of Clarkson fans. When I mentioned your favorite phrase, "Carnellian colored glasses" to a good friend of mine who attended Clarkson, he rolled his eyes and said "is he still using that phrase?" This is a person who has received Christmas cards from Goldie Knight. (And for the record, I have personally met Goldie myself; she's a nice lady, and doesn't deserve to be picked on in this forum). Basically, none of the Clarkson fans I've met and hung out with are as incendiary as you.

One of my favorite axioms is that as passionate college hockey fans, we're all basically the same fans...we just happen to wear different colors. And just about every hateful thing that you've said about us as a whole, I can turn around and say about the Clarkson fanbase. You've been spit on, had things thrown at you, and been treated poorly by ushers in Lynah? The same exact things have happened to me in Cheel. People got yelled at on the old Clarkson Round Table for saying the slightest negative thing about the Clarkson team...even if it were something as minor as "the passing hasn't been crisp." I can tell you that many people here can take what they initiate. You tell us we all wear carnellian glasses, but all of your posts are coming from behind green and gold spectacles yourself. That's fine, but that alone doesn't give you license to be a dick. Which you most definitely are doing. You're on such a mission to tear down what you think is a superior air by some of us around here that you've become an absolute prick. Congratulations.

Go ahead and give me your best "no, you are." I don't care. But please stop disrupting good conversation that we Cornell fans happen to be enjoying by trolling and flaming. I wish people here didn't have to lower themselves to your level and respond to your trolling. I rarely respond to trolls myself, and this'll be the last time I address it. But I really hope your family and kids you coach don't know what a dick you're being online.

I'll leave you with two quotes from Jon Stewart in his legendary appearance on "Crossfire." They seem appropriate here.

[Q]
"What you do is not honest. What you do is partisan hackery. You have a responsibility to the public discourse, and you fail miserably."

"You know what's interesting, though? You're as big a dick on your show as you are on any show."
[/Q]

Re: Banned?
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2005 03:09AM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

Banned, Marty? I don't recall that, really.

Truce? Was this a war? It wasn't one in my mind. [/q]

The point was no one ever banned you. I guess I was too obtuse?

And yes, you are acting like it is a war. Your posts used to be much more worthwhile than they have been this week. I like the idea of a Clarkson fan on the forum, but I haven't enjoyed this stuff.

Posted by: elf-in-the-night (68.152.97.---)
Date: April 02, 2005 01:28PM

Here's the problem...you touch a Minnesota player they fall...fans boo...next time fans boo again...referee feels the heat...make's a weak call...Cornell got 4 penalties in a row...between 1st & second period...saw the same thing in the Maine game...what was that 4 penalties to 9...I guess in the WCHA with the big rinks...you get skaters...big/small...you touch them they fall...that's not what I call real hockey...next time no Regional finals in 200x100 rinks...50 out of 58 makes that point abundantly clear..NO???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login