Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Which loss was more painful?

Posted by scoop85 
Which loss was more painful?
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 08:41PM

The Frozen Four loss in 2003 or today?

Even though today is fresh, I don't think it's a close call. Two years ago we were going in with a senior dominated team which had high expectations, playing on NHL size ice in a friendly environment against a team we all thought we should beat. We dominated good portions of that game, and if not for the loss of concentration after the disallowed goal, we likely would have moved on.

This year our team arrived "ahead of schedule" with lesser pre-season expectations. We had the hostile home environment against a team used to playing on the big ice which was more suited to their style of play. We were outplayed for much of the game. While it's always heartbreaking to lose in OT, as time moves on I will more easily look back on the amazing season and not feel too deflated. 2003 still gives me heartburn.

Perhaps the only thing that will truly stick in my craw is a system which allows for these postseason games to be played on the host school's campus.

Re: Which loss was more painful?
Posted by: Steve M (4.29.49.---)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:03PM

No question 2003 was more painful. We had the better team that year and lost one of the best graduating classes ever, not to take anything away from this year's seniors who were also outstanding. I don't see how even the most biased Cornell fan could say that we were the better team on the ice today.

Great season by the Red that exceeded my expectations. I think Cornell will be back and even better next year. If we want to win a National Championship, however, our team needs to improve its puck control and passing IMHO.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-213-24.myvzw.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:12PM

Yep, 2003 was a tougher loss. I still have that ticket stub on my desk labeled as "unfinished business!"

Re: Which loss was more painful? (Better Red than Crimson)
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:15PM

Losing in the final four with a senior-heavy team in 2003, that really hurt. This was bad. So was the early ejection by Clarkson last year. But we know a lot of the team returns in fall 2005. It could be worse if you're playing hockey for the other perennial Ivy League contender. Compare Cornell's seniors with Harvard's seniors:

Cornell: four Ivy titles (like that means a lot in hockey), three ECAC RS titles (ditto unless you're Clarkson), two ECAC championships (both over Harvard), three [not two] NCAA appearances, one Frozen Four, 4-3 NCAA record (and at least one victory each year).

Harvard: four trips to the ECAC title game, two ECAC championships (one over a real hockey team, one over a happy to be there Clarkson), four straight NCAA appearances, four straight first-round losses. Where it says VE RI TAS on the patch on the side of their jerseys, maybe it should be replaced with the Latin for ONE AND DONE. Their goalie did well and yet he managed to be overshadowed each year by another Ivy Leaguer. Okay, so Harvard can point to a more recent NCAA title, only 16 years ago.

Then there's the fans. We can mark that one in Cornell's favor. At Lynah, the players tap their sticks and raise them in salute. At Harvard, the players also form a circle, then raise their hands to their visors like it's a salute, but really they're trying to peer through the glare to determine if anyone's actually in Bright Center.

[edit: correcting for 2002 season]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2005 09:31PM by billhoward.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:21PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Cornell: four Ivy titles (like that means a lot in hockey), two ECAC RS titles (ditto unless you're Clarkson), two ECAC championships (both over Harvard), two NCAA appearances, one Frozen Four, 3-2 NCAA record. [/q]

Actually it's three ECAC RS titles for us. (Not that we care much about those, but...). We were the RS title winners in 2003 and 2005, when we won the real championship as well. But we were also the RS title winners in 2002.
Andy W.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:26PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Compare Cornell's seniors with Harvard's seniors:

Cornell: four Ivy titles (like that means a lot in hockey), two ECAC RS titles (ditto unless you're Clarkson), two ECAC championships (both over Harvard), two NCAA appearances, one Frozen Four, 3-2 NCAA record.
[/q]
Am I nuts, Bill, or didn't our seniors have three NCAA appearances (2002, 2003, 2005) and a 4-3 NCAA record--with at least one win each year?

Posted by: redredux (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:51PM

This one hurts a lot right now. Losing in OT is tough. Especially when you're one goal from the frozen four and you've come so close to beating the huge odds on Minnesota's home ice. In the frozen four after Palahicky's goal was called back, the wheels kind of fell off so losing was sort of expected. Today at about the 10 minute mark of the third period when we finally started playing Red hockey, I really thought we might do it and shut up the annoying Goofer fans.

It takes a lot of things breaking the right way to make it back to this position next year, but at least we've got a strong junior class coming back.

I'll miss this senior class. They were overachievers who will be missed more than we originally expected.

The NCAA needs to change the rule that hosts must play in their region in the tournament. It's a bogus rule. That being said, Cornell should do whatever it can to host in the future as long as the rule stays the same.

Go Colorado College, win it for the small schools.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:54PM

plus i had tix to the finals in 2003....i still went :`(

Date: March 27, 2005 09:59PM

If nothing else, at least one regional final had a full house. There appeared to be a lot of empty seats in Amherst and Worcester. I suspect the announced attendance figures may be "tickets sold for the game" not actually people in seats.

The "good of the game" that lets Minnesota play in its own regional as incentive to host it might also benefit Cornell one of these years if the NCAA has the option to place a team such as Cornell where its fans will show up (Albany and Rochester the next two years). Wisconsin faithful ought to be rewarded. If that shafts a Mercyhurst, well, so be it.

Posted by: cth95 (---.dsl.westelcom.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:05PM

Definitely 2003 and even 2002. Both times outplayed NH and had high expectations yet lost. Even worse, NH tanked in its next game both years so we definitely would have put up a better fight than they did (or did we take that much out of them?). I was at the 2003 FF, and it was a complete show of dominance by the Red before the disallowed goal. We would have been better off to never have put that shot in, because the momentum took a complete 180 after the ridiculously long review. Despite this, we finished the game with a fury and if not for Ayers getting lucky with the shot off his face would have tied it. We all knew that that amazing class of seniors was graduating so I figured it would be sometime until we got there again. I am thrilled that we are knocking on the door with a fairly young team only two years later.

Posted by: Mike Nevin (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:17PM

I don't know which is more painful, but I know know that I hope we get the opportunity to play Minnesota in a regional next year, around the corner from our campus, without their big sheet, and that we grind them to a pulp while we get seven power play chances to their three, and we actually score on ours. Maybe the selection commitee could even see to it that they get screwed in the seeding process, and end up as a number 4 seed, so they have to play us in the first round.

And maybe we could crush UNH to get to the 2006 frozen four...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:19PM

For we who are long in the tooth, this feels eerily like the 1986 QF loss at Denver. In both seasons Cornell came off an ECAC championship only to find itself exiled far away. In both, they played beautifully, splitting a pair of games, leading in the decisive game, only to let the lead slip and lose by a single goal. As much as it would have been wonderful to advance to the Frozen Four, in each case they were a solid underdog and yet played wonderfully, and while very disappointing it was not "painful."

The big difference is that in 1986 the heart of the team was the senior class (one was a certain Mr. Schafer), while this season, although the losses turn out to be far greater than it might have seemed at the beginning of the year, there is a 2002ish "wait till next year" feel.

Posted by: redGrinch (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:33PM

2003 was painful. Today was not far behind. Minnesota was the weakest of the 1 seeds, struggling on offense, and prime for the picking. I didn't think we were out of today's game at all - and we were wearing them down. Lucia's quoted as saying they talked in the locker room that they needed to score quick because they were getting tired.

The more I think about Schafer and the teams he builds, they're built for the long run - the team is well-conditioned, they never seem to lose that energy throughout the game or season. If they had best-of-3 (or longer) series in the NCAAs, Cornell really could match up with anybody in the country. The one-and-done format doesn't credit us for the punishment the team doles out - eventually wearing them down and pouncing on their mistakes. Also, I'm convinced that Schafer could devise a system/scheme to beat any team . Whenever the Red play a new team, it seems there's always a tentative feeling-out adjustment period, and then there's some adjustments and there we go. And the attitude that Schafer has brought in - he's not happy to just be in games, the us against the world, we're good and we're going to prove it - is exactly what was needed. He's got the team believing that it can win (and perhaps expecting to win) an NCAA championship. In years past, the team would've been thrilled just to win the ECAC's. Notice this year's subdued celebration......

With that said, my expectations for next year are sky high......
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2005 09:43PM by redGrinch.

Posted by: cth95 (---.dsl.westelcom.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 03:46PM

Hear, Hear!

Date: March 28, 2005 03:54PM

[Q]redGrinch Wrote:With that said, my expectations for next year are sky high......[/q]Just think: If LeNeveu hadn't departed early for the pros, McKee would this year be finishing his *freshman* year and we'd have his services through spring 2008. That would be one heck of a goalie rotation.

Posted by: duffs4 (209.150.239.---)
Date: March 28, 2005 04:16PM

Well said RedGrinch!!!

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 11:33PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:
there is a 2002ish "wait till next year" feel.[/q]

For the record, which Trotsky can confirm, I was only one year off several years ago when I took a look at the direction our team was going and said we'd next make it to the Frozen Four in 2002. It was, of course, 2003 instead.

When did I say our next national championship would be?

I'd be pleased as punch to be exactly as "wrong" about that one.

Looking forward to Milwaukee.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 11:39PM

What year was it that you actually made those predictions, Beeeej? If it was 2001, no offense, but that's not impressive. If it was 1995, then we'll call you a visionary.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 11:58PM

Again, Trotsky can confirm, but I believe it was 1999.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 12:37PM

'96 was more painful than both, but that's because I was in school and I irrationally believed that team was magical.

In the long view, I'm glad our painful losses are now coming in the quarter- or semifinals rather than in the first round.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 12:53PM

This year was more painful, mainly b/c of the 2000 mile trip and going against 8000 gopher fans. I definitely felt a lot worse when it ended.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 01:11PM

After a bit of perspective on this year, I don't think 2003 was all that painful. Painful for me has more to do with that particular game than the whole season. Maybe not for everyone, but that seems to be how it effects me.

Going down 3-0 on UHN, well, I'm not gonna say I gave up, but I certainly didn't expect much. As the game wore on and we pulled it closer, I certainly got a lot of hope back, but I never expected the team had a damn good shot at coming back from 0-3. So at the end it was "well, they got close, but I already thought it was over an hour and a half ago... oh well".

More painful than that was 2002, when we were tied with only a few minutes left before Underhill let us a relative softie - very similar to Colgate's experience against CC this year. That was painful because we got so close I could taste it, only needed a bounce of the puck. It was tied and then our hopes were close to dashed in an instant.

This year, this year was definitely painful. Very painful. With a bit of perspective I am extremely proud of this team, nearly overcoming a deck that was virtually stacked against them. 20, 30 minutes into that game, we were being outskated, drastically outshot, but then... then we took the lead! As it got late in the third, we started skating better, winning the battles, playing more of our game. As overtime started, we had a few good chances, and it seemed the longer it went, the better we would... shit.

Losing to OSU the night before, after being down 2-0 would have been less painful, because we could have had time to prepare for it as the game wore on. More disappointing, less to feel good about in the long run, but less painful.

So...
disappointment/finishing short of our beginning of season hopes: 2002 < 2005 < 2003
actual pain at game end: 2003 < 2002 (esp with the memories of Placid) < 2005

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: March 29, 2005 01:14PM

Having been at both, it's hard to pick. They were both painful in their own ways.

2003 was painful because I think we were a true national championship contender, and it had to be that year because of all the departing seniors (and we knew Lenny leaving was a possibility as well). It was also painful for me, because even down 3-0, I was unusally confident that we were going to chip away and come back to win. When we made it 3-2, in some ways I felt the game was ours to lose. And if not for a fortunately placed Ayers facemask, who knows.... To lose that game knowing the firepower we were losing, and how special a year it had been (perfect at Lynah included), it was rough.

Sunday was painful because of how beautifully sweet it would have been to advance to the Frozen Four under those circumstances....300 Lynah Faithful celebrating on Minnesota's home turf, as 9500 Minnesotans beat the traffic. And after the shorthanded goal, it was becoming even more of a reality. But deep down, did I feel we were a "true" championship contender....even after the unbeaten streak, I had my doubts. I've been saying for over a year now that 2005-06 was the one I was eyeing for another legitimate championship run, and this season felt like it was going to mirror 2001-2002. As it turns out, it was eerily similar (at least in how and when it ended). And think back to the weeks before Red/White, and see what the opinions were regarding a potential Frozen Four. I think "make the NCAA's and maybe win a game" was the realistic goal, much more so than "reach the Frozen Four." As it should have been, with a relatively young team, a sophomore goaltender, and a terribly disappointing result the previous year. So in retrospect, I think we reached our realistic goals this season, and it was painful in that we didn't stretch beyond those. 2003 was painful because you fully believed you would walk home with hardware.

Posted by: dozens (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 01:32PM

As a Red Sox fan, I find the tone of these posts all too familiar. No worries, folks. This team overachieved. They'll be back next year, and they'll be better.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 29, 2005 03:46PM

This year has one huge advantage over 2002, and his name is Whitelaw. (Plus we beat a real team in the first round rather than a MAAC patsy.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: dargason (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 08:04AM

This team and its fans are nothing like the Red Sox and theirs. There's a big difference in being disappointed that your team did not win a championship and wondering how the team is going to blow the run to the championship this year.

A few more heartbreaks to go before Cornell fans get any sort of Red Soxian complex :-D

Posted by: dadeo (---.eatntn01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 11:43AM

Even though we will have a strong team next year, certain players will have to step up to fill roles of departing seniors (ie. Sasha and O'Byrne for Charlie and Jeremy).
That said, 2003 was alot tougher, especially since I was sitting 5 rows back from the ice behind Ayers when teh shot got disallowed. (bs).
Oh - and there's a new article on [www.uscho.com]
where Adam convinced the NCAA to get rid of some big ice rule. We will see.

dave '02

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 11:51AM

Haha, Adam, I love you... in the way a guy can love a sports journalist... it probably means nothing overall, but its a major moral victory. One I greatly appreciate right now :-D

Date: March 30, 2005 12:16PM

One wonders if this will be our ultimate revenge on Minnesota. Then again, the NCAA likes to make money and Minnesota likes to host regionals, so it might do nothing. But it'll be nice to have the rules on our side in the future.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.rapiddevelopers.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 12:49PM

Well, it's not like Adam convinced the rules committee to change the rule to prefer NHL ice, he just convinced them to get rid of the rule preferring Olympic ice. And even if they went further and made a rule preferring NHL ice, that's all it would likely be - a preference. I doubt they'd ever institute a rule that would require schools to spend serious money on renovating their rinks.

Maybe it'd be possible to require new Div. I programs to have facilities with NHL ice, but they'd probably have to grandfather in the existing ones.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: March 30, 2005 12:54PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Maybe it'd be possible to require new Div. I programs to have facilities with NHL ice, but they'd probably have to grandfather in the existing ones.

Beeeej[/q]

Interesting idea. What about already existing programs constructing new facilities? After all, Mariucci won't stand forever.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.rapiddevelopers.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 01:04PM

[Q]Will Wrote:
Beeeej Wrote:
Maybe it'd be possible to require new Div. I programs to have facilities with NHL ice, but they'd probably have to grandfather in the existing ones.[/Q]
Interesting idea. What about already existing programs constructing new facilities? After all, Mariucci won't stand forever.[/q]

I meant to include that thought, too. Thanks for completing it for me. B-]

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2005 01:25PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 01:28PM

Minnesota will still host regionals. They just won't hold them at Mariucci. They'll host them at Xcel Center and draw 15,000 goofer fans to root against us.

But at least they won't have the ice advantage, and that's all it'll take.

Date: March 30, 2005 01:47PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

Minnesota will still host regionals. They just won't hold them at Mariucci. They'll host them at Xcel Center and draw 15,000 goofer fans to root against us.

But at least they won't have the ice advantage, and that's all it'll take.[/q]

I think it'll also eliminate any sort of advantage big ice would give them, since I believe the Xcel Center is an NHL rink (home of the Minnesota Wild, I think?).

Date: March 30, 2005 05:51PM

[Q]Will Wrote: One wonders if this will be our ultimate revenge on Minnesota. Then again, the NCAA likes to make money and Minnesota likes to host regionals, so it might do nothing. But it'll be nice to have the rules on our side in the future.[/q]Minnesota can host all the regionals it wants ... at the Excel Energy Center (in St. Paul) with a I'm pretty sure an NHL size surface. BTW the arena rules say nothing about banning cowbells - weapons yes, cigarettes yes, but cowbells don't appear to be expressly forbidden.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 06:00PM

That's what I meant by my last sentence. It is NHL size ice.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 06:24PM

How about a rule that any school playing on Olympic ice right now has to disband it's hockey team? :-D

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 06:39PM

Okay, for one, its the Xcel Center... no relation to Microsoft ;)

Posted by: Meng '94 (---.159.23.108.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 11:59PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

But at least they won't have the ice advantage, and that's all it'll take.[/Q]
I think it'll also eliminate any sort of advantage big ice would give them, since I believe the Xcel Center is an NHL rink (home of the Minnesota Wild, I think?).[/q]

That's correct. It is a great arena (hosted the 2002 Frozen 4). If anyone has a chance to see a game at the rink, they should!

Don't know if they would draw 15k fans as they didn't even fill Mariucci.

Posted by: adamw (---.benslm01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 01:22AM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Well, it's not like Adam convinced the rules committee to change the rule to prefer NHL ice, he just convinced them to get rid of the rule preferring Olympic ice.[/q]

Actually, I didn't even do that. I just brought to their attention the fact that, something they agreed shouldn't be there, was still there. Just a blatant oversight really.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 01:51AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Will Wrote: One wonders if this will be our ultimate revenge on Minnesota. Then again, the NCAA likes to make money and Minnesota likes to host regionals, so it might do nothing. But it'll be nice to have the rules on our side in the future.[/Q]
Minnesota can host all the regionals it wants ... at the Excel Energy Center (in St. Paul) with a I'm pretty sure an NHL size surface. BTW the arena rules say nothing about banning cowbells - weapons yes, cigarettes yes, but cowbells don't appear to be expressly forbidden.

[/q]

I assumed that they thought they were removing an illegal noisemaker (per the "RIP noisemaker during the Freakout rule";).

Edit: Sorry, I didn't read the other thread until after I posted here.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2005 01:53AM by marty.

Date: March 31, 2005 07:30AM

[Q]adamw Wrote:

Beeeej Wrote:

Well, it's not like Adam convinced the rules committee to change the rule to prefer NHL ice, he just convinced them to get rid of the rule preferring Olympic ice.[/Q]
Actually, I didn't even do that. I just brought to their attention the fact that, something they agreed shouldn't be there, was still there. Just a blatant oversight really.[/q]

Of course, all your naysayers on the USCHO board are saying that you're interfering with NCAA policy and changing the rule around yourself. It should come as no surprise that a lot of those people are Minnesota fans. rolleyes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login