Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

McKee

Posted by Hobey Baker 
McKee
Posted by: Hobey Baker (---.nc.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:45PM

I would like to announce that I have chosen Dave McKee as the 2005 winner of my award.

Re: McKee
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 08:11PM

Good to know.

Posted by: Brian (128.226.95.---)
Date: March 29, 2005 05:13PM

McKee finish 9th in the fan voting, wow! screwy

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 06:11PM

When are the Hat Trick Finalists announced?

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 08:09PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

When are the Hat Trick Finalists announced?[/q]

It was March 31 last year (Awarded on April 9, 2004) so I'm guessing in the next few days but I couldn't find a published date.

Posted by: Pace (209.2.88.---)
Date: March 30, 2005 02:33AM

I will be very surprised and disappointed if McKee doesn't make it into the Three Finalists.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.research.cornell.edu)
Date: March 30, 2005 10:57AM

[Q]Pace Wrote:

I will be very surprised and disappointed if McKee doesn't make it into the Three Finalists.[/q]
The past two years they've had a token goaltender in the three finalists. Wouldn't be surprised if McKee is one... but I highly doubt he'll be The One.

Posted by: msphi81 (---.cfund.org)
Date: March 30, 2005 11:25AM

How does the process work? Will the three finalists be in Columbus next Friday for the Hobey award? If so, and if McKee is one of the three finalists it will at least give some of us something to cheer for next weekend.

Date: March 30, 2005 11:43AM

Assuming this year once again has a "token goaltender" in the Hat Trick, McKee has a few things going against him in being that guy:
(1)He is one of four goaltenders in the finalists.
(2)The other three goaltenders are all seniors, so voters might think McKee will have two more chances to be nominated and win the Hobey.
(3)Jordan Sigalet has that whole MS thing going for him (as terrible as that sounds, it's definitely a consideration).
(4)Voters may think his lead in the major goaltending statistics are caused/inflated by playing in front of a supreme defense (which is partially true, but we all know that McKee would still be a great goaltender despite the defense in front of him).
(5)He plays in the "EZAC", and of course no good player ever comes out of the "EZAC".rolleyes

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 11:44AM

[Q]msphi81 Wrote:

How does the process work? Will the three finalists be in Columbus next Friday for the Hobey award? If so, and if McKee is one of the three finalists it will at least give some of us something to cheer for next weekend. [/q]
The three finalists will be there, but the winner will likely know in advance--so his entourage can arrange to be there. At least that was the case when Paolini won the Humanitarian in 2003.

Date: March 30, 2005 11:49AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

The three finalists will be there, but the winner will likely know in advance--so his entourage can arrange to be there. At least that was the case when Paolini won the Humanitarian in 2003.[/q]

None of the other Humanitarian nominees brought an entourage? (It's also possible that Paolini happened to have an entourage there simply because he was also playing in the Frozen Four that same weekend.)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 11:56AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:
The three finalists will be there, but the winner will likely know in advance--so his entourage can arrange to be there. At least that was the case when Paolini won the Humanitarian in 2003.[/q]I kinda figured the whole team was there because they were in Buffalo anyway and because Lenny and Sam were both up for awards.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.knighttrading.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 12:01PM

Sam (and Cornell Athletics) knew in advance that he was the winner of the Humanitarian Award, although it's safe to say the "entourage" probably would have been there regardless. The Hobey winner does not know in advance.

Date: March 30, 2005 01:04PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

(3)Jordan Sigalet has that whole MS thing going for him (as terrible as that sounds, it's definitely a consideration).
[/q]

Completely agree. Sigalet would be the perfect choice for token goalie...no expectations for a win, lots of press for including him.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 01:39PM

[q]Completely agree. Sigalet would be the perfect choice for token goalie...no expectations for a win, lots of press for including him.[/q]Keep in mind though how the process works. The voters choose from the ten finalists. The top three vote getters from this process are annointed "Hobey Hat Trick Finalists", but there isn't another vote. The top vote getter from the ten man vote wins the award. My point is that they don't choose a token goalie, except insofar as the voters as a whole decide to give lots of second and third place votes to a goalie.

Date: March 30, 2005 01:56PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

Completely agree. Sigalet would be the perfect choice for token goalie...no expectations for a win, lots of press for including him.[/Q]
Keep in mind though how the process works. The voters choose from the ten finalists. The top three vote getters from this process are annointed "Hobey Hat Trick Finalists", but there isn't another vote. The top vote getter from the ten man vote wins the award. My point is that they don't choose a token goalie, except insofar as the voters as a whole decide to give lots of second and third place votes to a goalie.[/q]

In this case, Sigalet becomes the perfect token third-place votegetter, likely behind Sertich and Sterling. Not only do the voters get to vote for a goalie and actually pretend that defense matters to them, but they get to satisfy their consciences by voting for the poor guy with the disease, despite the fact that statistically he wasn't even close to being the best goalie in the country. (Yes, I know the Hobey looks at more than just the numbers, but I've never seen anything that makes McKee out to be a horrible human being either.)

Date: March 30, 2005 03:12PM

[Q]Will Wrote:
I've never seen anything that makes McKee out to be a horrible human being either.)[/q]

Right. Big game hunting in Africa is a positive for hockey fans, not a negative like it is for the hippies. :-P ;-)

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: March 30, 2005 03:30PM

correcting your typo - should be "negative for hippos."

Finalists Announced
Posted by: nyiballs (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 03:53PM

Dave and two guys from Colorado College or something are the 3 finalists.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login